Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• or

605 results found

1. Variable font: Italic character wrongly displayed when exported to PDF format from InDesign.

I'm reporting this bug on behalf of the type design studio Dalton Maag. To reproduce: use the provided test font, write the lowercase letter "p" in Indesign, and choose the "Hair Italic" instance, or equivalently, set:
    - the font's weight axis to the minimum,
    - the width to its default value
    - the italic axis to its maximum.

Glyphs are shown without fault within InDesign itself. However, when exported to PDF format and opened on Acrobat Reader, there is an issue with how the letter “p” is displayed (see aktiv_vf_p_bug.png).

We are suspecting the issue is caused by…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. No translation in French for the variable fonts panel in Indesign 2020

1 - Indesign 2020 (15) - French version
    2 - Use a variable font
    Modify it with the properties panel or control bar
    3 - The interface should be in French
    4 - When the panel is shown the interface stay in english
    The variable fonts panel stay in English

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Thank you for sharing the feedback with us.
    Please note that the design axes names are provided within the font itself, therefore the translated string for these axes names cannot be displayed unless the font designer has incorporated it in the font.

However, Adobe Illustrator explicitly translates 5 predominantly used design axes names(Weight, Width, Slant, etc.), but this does not seems appropriate for fonts having more than 5 design axes(like Amstelva Alpha which has 16 axes).

Hence the attribute names are not translated.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

3. Variable Fonts don't display correct via PDF export

I'm very excited to see variable fonts in InDesign, thank you!

However, when using variable fonts in an InDesign document, exported PDFs show overlaps (as in the crossbar of /A), as well as inconsistent stem weights, spacing, and alignments in various glyphs. These issues occur in multiple variable fonts I've tested.

If I use static fonts or convert fonts to outlines using Type > Create Outlines these issues don't show up. These issues are present when viewing PDFs in both Acrobat and Preview (see screenshots attached). These variable fonts work fine in web browsers…

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    This has been fixed with InDesign version 15.0.2
    Please update to the latest version to check the fix

Thanks

4. Italic option in variable fonts

There is no option to change upright/italic in variable fonts.
    With Myriad Variable I always go to an italic preset and then adjust the settings from there. But there should be a option right next to the weight and width scales.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Problem with variable fonts letter tracking

1. Adobe Indesign 15.1.2

2. There is a problem with letter tracking in variable fonts (please see attached photo)
      I've tried two licensed variable fonts and it occurs with all of them
      (Myriad Variable & 29lt Bukra Variavle)
      I've not changed the default values for letter kerning nor tracking.

3. Expected results: I expect the text to have the correct letter tracking

4. Actual results: bad letter tracking (please see attached photo)

5. Test file: screenshot from my indesign.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Problem with Variable fonts - some glyphs are displayed with a lighter weight on changing axes.

Some variable fonts works as expected, but for some, the font displays at a lighter weight (perhaps regular?) when the weight is set for anything heavier than about 750. It appears that the heavier weight's metrics are used.

In my my limited test, the weight prints properly.

I'm on a 27-inch, iMac 2020, Mac OS 13.5.1, InD 19.

Examples:

64 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

56 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi everyone,

This issue is fixed in the latest InDesign Prerelease Build - InDesign 2024 (19.1.0.037).

How to join InDesign Prerelease program:

Go to https://www.adobeprerelease.com/

* Sign-in with your Adobe ID (the Email ID associated with your Adobe account)

* Click Available Programs

* Find InDesign Prerelease and click Join

Please check if the issue stands resolved for you with this build and share your feedback.

--

Adobe InDesign team

7. InDesign 2024 regression: Text variable rendering breaks Google barcode font

A sequence of numbers rendered in Google's "Libre Barcode EAN13 Text" font will not work if the text is inserted via a text variable. Entering the text verbatim with the same paragraph style produces the expected result.

This is a regression in InDesign 2024. The attached IDML file works fine in InDesign 2023 v18.5 but not in InDesign 2024 v19.3.0.58.

The font can be found at https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Libre+Barcode+EAN13+Text.

(Sorry for the .idml.txt extension for the test case – this form won't let me submit .idml, .indd or .zip attachments directly.)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Printing a document with variable fonts garbles them

(I sent test fonts to Josh Hadley at Adobe yesterday, i.e. Aktiv Grotesk VF)

1. Select variable font from the menu (e.g. Aktiv Grotesk VF)
    2. Select world-ready composer
    3. Select a couple different instances from the drop-down or select an instance via the slider (e.g. Black, Bold, Regular, Light) and set some text in each
    4. Print the page from InDesign on a PostScript printer

See the attached image. What should happen is that the repeating blocks of text should be set in the different instances you selected in step 3. They are replaced by a random font instead, only the first…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Variable fonts: Feature Variations not working

In the current version of Adobe CC, Variable fonts’ Feature Variations are not working. Please have a look at the Trial version of my typeface Pangea (https://fontwerk.com/de/fonts/pangea-superfamily):
    https://christoph.koe.berlin/_temp/PangeaVAR_Trial_2.000.ttf

Axes for Weight, Italic, Apertures, Extenders, Inktraps and Spacing are working, but as soon as you move the sliders of the the last axes (Single-storey a, single-storey g and Straight l) the font is marked as missing and jumps back to the basic style.

1. InDesign version 16.1, MacOS 10.14.6 and above
    2. Steps to reproduce the issues: Install font via FontBook, move sliders in last three…
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Indesign 2024 Unable to Recognize Variable Fonts from Documents Created with Previous Version

InDesign 2024 (v19.0) fails to recognize variable fonts from documents created in previous version. Specifically, Helvetica Now Variable weights and widths are reported as missing. Running MacOS Sonoma (but the same system opens the file without issue when using InDesign 2023… can’t be an OS issue.)

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. ID 2023 and 2024 issues with variable weight fonts

In addition to the odd weight mix on screen display or the incorrect spacing for bolder faces on variable fonts in 2024, variable fonts do not outline correctly. The outlined objects do not create compound paths correctly for character elements that join (example: bottom bar of lower case e crosses over onto spine of letter) causing effect and trap errors.

UPDATE: 19.1 update installed. The font weight issue appears to be fixed, but the font outlines are still an issue, as I reported to Adobe in the bug reports. The characters when outlines do create compound paths, they…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Google font unusable after 2024 update.

1. InDesign 2024, Google font Big Shoulders Display (variable width) stopped working properly between 2023 and 2024 updates.
    2. I tried changing character attributes, pacakging the file and deleting the Document fonts folder (suggested in Adobe Community)
    3. Expected the font to work properly
    4. Font does not work properly
    3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Variable fonts: default face location included in style list even if not included in fvar

I sent a variable test font to Josh Hadley. It includes an fvar table that does not contain the location of the default instance. InDesign v17.0.1 on Windows will include the default location anyway in the list of styles for the font, with a made up name. Should it not restrict itself to what it finds in the fvar and STAT tables?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Clicking document-installed font from font list gives error to "activate font" and doesn't change font.

InDesign 14.0 on Windows 10 x64

I just upgraded to InDesign 14.0, and there appears to be a bug when clicking a document-installed font from the font list. The font list gives an error message to "Click 'Activate' button to activate fonts" and the text frame keeps the existing font, instead of changing to the new font.

Expected result:
    The expected result would be the same behavior as InDesign 13.1, where you could click a document-installed font from the font list, and the text frame would update to the newly selected font.

Actual result:
    In InDesign…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

15. SVG Font Designation Not Shown in Find Font

If a font is an SVG font, InDesign shows the square box "SVG" designation in the font dropdown. However, if you view the font info under Find Font (Type>Find Font), the font type does not show as SVG. There is no way to determine if an SVG font was used in the file other than to view in the font dropdown. That is a problem as SVG fonts are not supported in PDF yet and will not be caught by preflight. Can the SVG designation be added to the Find Font info screen?

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

16. Using glyphs in a text variable

I've defined a text variable that I use for a running header. This variable is defined from the first use of a "chapter title" paragraph style that I've also defined. I've inserted this variable on my A-master page, which is synced between documents in my book. The problem I'm running into is that I've used a number of glyphs in the text comprising the first use of that style, and the text variable (my running header) looks garbled: it's missing letters and has mixed caps. If it matters, the font I'm using is Orpheus Pro Bold.

Attached are two screenshots:…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. variable data

If you have 2 text fields in variable data, the variable data previews fine in InDesign but on Export to PDF it doesn't work correctly, the 2nd variable data field is missing.

We use this every week so it's something on this new version. Imac 27" InDesign v16.0 OS 10.15.7

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Variable chapter number

The variable 'chapter number' gives a problem, wherever it is used it is represented as '1'.
    Because chapter numbers and paragraph numbers are not included in the Continuous header, it is useful if it can be displayed separately.
    Is it possible to include this numbering in the variable in the future (as an option)?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Multiple listings of same font in Find Font menu

There are multiple listings of the same font in the Find Font menu in CC2019. All information is the same, all applied characters are the same, but there is odd behavior.

--FileACC2019WithDocumentsfontsfolder.png shows double listing of Trade Gothic LT Pro Roman.

--FileACC2019WithoutDocumentfontsfolder.png (when I take away access to Document fonts folder, no other changes), one instance switches to "Regular" instead of "Roman"

--FileACC2017WithDocumentfontsfolder.png shows what happens with I open this file in CC2017 (no double listing)

--FileACC2017WithoutDocumentfontsfolder.png (Document fonts folder hidden) shows…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix of the issue is now available in the latest InDesign 2022(v17.0.0.96). We recommend you upgrade to the latest version for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to the Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Adobe InDesign Team

20. Major System Font Issue!

WHAT THE FONT!?!

Our publishing company recently ran the InDesign update (to 15.0.2) and have discovered some major font issues. I have narrowed it down to InDesign 15.0.2, macOS Catalina 10.15.3, and Suitcase Fusion 21.0.0. I actually don't think Suitcase has too much to do with this, because the problem occurred after the InDesign update, but it's our font management software so I'm including it. Basically it appears system fonts have become problematic with InDesign. Packaged files are suddenly showing up with lots of the dreaded pink. I have tested about everything I can. I even created some…

164 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

231 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base