Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 79 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

87 comments  ·  PNG/JPEG/EPS Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2021 – that is, InDesign 16.2.1

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you still face this problem.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. 56 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

44 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is available in the latest Prerelease build for InDesign – build 16.3.0.24.

InDesign Pre-release build availability
    -——
    To download and install a prerelease build from the Creative Cloud desktop app, go to Apps > Categories > Prerelease. If you are unable to see the Prerelease tab or the InDesign and InCopy builds, do the following:
    Go to adobeprerelease.com and login with your Adobe ID, go to the InDesign Prerelease program and accept the Prerelease Agreement if shown
    In the Creative Cloud Application, go to Help > Check for app updates
    Logout of the Creative Cloud Application and login again
    Note:
    In order to access the Prerelease build make sure you have registered for the Prerelease program with the same id which you use to login on Creative Cloud.

Please try out the build and tell us if the fix is working alright for you.

3. InDesign 16.0 saves Converted files in last used folder, not containing folder

On Catalina OSX (10.15.7), InDesign 2021 (16.0) saves a Converted file to the last used Finder folder, rather than the folder the document is contained in.

Happens with 'Save As...', as well as saving InCopy assignments.

232 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

179 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. ID 2020 15.1 - All text variables (including page numbers) replaced by "ss" text

Just updated to ID 2020 15.1 and found a bug which makes the program unusable forcing me to immediately downgrade.
    When I open on of my ID documents created in previous version of ID, all of my defined text variables as well as page numbers are corrupted and replaced by the "ss" text. Changing the style has no effect. I can create page number based on the 'Basic Paragraph' style but when i choose any other previously created style, the number changes to 'ss'.
    Even the variable field preview shows 'ss' text instead of variable name.
    The same document opens…

217 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

122 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 154 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

171 comments  ·  Share for Review  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Share for Review strikethrough & highlight from online edits aren't visible in InDesign

InDesign Vs. 16 Share for Review: if the reviewer uses the strikethrough text or highlight option, I don't see these in my indesign doc. I can see the strikethrough text on the browser version, but the highlight disppears completely. The review comment is in both places, just not what it's referencing.

55 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

52 comments  ·  Share for Review  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Do not use Osaka font for PDF page information

When exporting a PDF with the Japanese version of InDesign for Mac, the Osaka font is used for the characters in the page information. If there are voiced or semi-voiced sound marks of Japanese characters in the file name, an error will be displayed and the characters will be garbled because Osaka does not support those characters.

1. Name the indd file "だじづでど.indd".

2. Export the PDF.

3. An error is displayed and the file name of the page information is garbled.

Osaka is no longer a very old font on the Mac. Don't use Osaka now.

Use a font that supports semi-voiced…

60 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. External Object 'lib:AdobeXMPScript' not exist!

Try to execute the attached code in the screenshot.
    And you will this error:

Error Number: 52
    Error String: I/O Error

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Scripting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 2021 cannot create new document

I just updated from 2020 to 2021 version.
    Now, when trying to create a new document, the dialogue works as expected but when clicking "erstellen" (create) nothing happens.
    Even after restarting the whole system (Mac Catalina).

45 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

37 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Navigation Points Not Available to Scripting in InDesign 2021 (16.0)

Problem Description:
    Querying navigation points inside a movie trigger errors from InDesign 16.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Query movie.navigationPoints.length or movie.navigationPoints.count() with Extendscript.

The following script shows this issue(s) with simple document containing a move and one button with a play at navigation point action applied.

var btn = app.activeDocument.buttons[0];
    var beh = btn.behaviors[0];
    var mov = beh.movieItem;
    var navPts = mov.navigationPoints;
    try{

alert(navPts.length); /*doesn't exist*/

}catch(err) { alert([err,err.line])}

try{

alert(navPts.count()); /*Give incorrect error - Error: Request failed because the underlying functionality is no longer available in the current version of the application */

}catch(err) { alert([err,err.line])}

alert(navPts.everyItem().getElements().length); /incorrectly

64 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Scripting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Text wrapping has changed to before 2019 use textFrame based indent

To place a graphicItem with text wrap, it is not an object-based indent like 2020, but a text frame-based indent before 2019.

1 Version
    16.0.1(macOS10.14/10.15.6)

2 Steps to reproduce the issues
    1. Make TextFrame. To places graphicItem above the textFrame and set text wrap.
    2. The indent set in the textFrame does not take effect for the object for which wrap text is set like before 2019.

3 Expected result
    Indent set in the textFrame does take effect for the object for which wrap text is set like 2020.
    Please refer below Community article.
    https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesignフォーラム/indesign2020ではできていた回り込み時のインデント設定の維持が2021ではなくなっている/m-p/11677071

4 Actual result
    The indent…

53 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Major System Font Issue!

WHAT THE FONT!?!

Our publishing company recently ran the InDesign update (to 15.0.2) and have discovered some major font issues. I have narrowed it down to InDesign 15.0.2, macOS Catalina 10.15.3, and Suitcase Fusion 21.0.0. I actually don't think Suitcase has too much to do with this, because the problem occurred after the InDesign update, but it's our font management software so I'm including it. Basically it appears system fonts have become problematic with InDesign. Packaged files are suddenly showing up with lots of the dreaded pink. I have tested about everything I can. I even created some very simple…

156 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

224 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Spell Check does not work after installing InDesign 15.0.2

Dear Adobe Team,
    in our office we use In Design from several years without nothing problems.

Yesterday we had updated the version 15.0.2. After that, the spell-check (we use the Italian language) don’t work if we import text in a existing document.

But if we import text in a new document, the spell-check work without problems.

Please can you help us?

216 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

165 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. InDesign 2021 keeps crashing

InDesign has crashed about 5 times since updating the other day. My team is also having the same problem. Mac and PC.

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

38 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the crash?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. AdobeFnt.lst automatically reappears after deleting

InDesign version: 15.0.2

Suddenly (after the latest March 2020 InDesign update?) the AdobeFont.lst file created with InDesign packages automatically shows up with folder structure after deleting a package. This is really aggravating for file management. It's as if my team can't fully delete InDesign packages. This is happening with multiple InDesign files on multiple machines.

147 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

165 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Color Settings change to Emulate InDesign 2.0

Color Mode changes from whatever is set in InDesign when switching app from Adobe Photoshop to InDesign (latest versions) ... I am getting the same problem when switching from Photoshop to the latest Illustrator as well.

Problem Occurs even when InDesign (and Illustrator) are both shut down. After launching Photoshop and then shutting Photoshop down, Color Settings in InDesign and Illustrator are both changed to "Emulate".

PLEASE FIX IMMEDIATELY!!!! THIS IS A HUGE PROBLEM and impacts my workflow horribly as I am back-and-forth between these applications regularly.

I have checked Bridge as well... and default is set to North American…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Arabic exported to EPUB (Fixed Layout) doesn't show properly

• InDesign 15.1.2 / Mac OS 10.15.6

• Create an InDesign document with Arabic content. Apply any Arabic font.

• When exporting to EPUB (Fixed Layout) we should see the Arabic text appear in the epub viewer in similar manner as it shows in InDesign document.

• The exported epub document is viewed in Apple's Books application, and Adobes Digital Editions 4.5 with similar problems in both epub viewers, where all Arabic text is either invisible or messed up and shifted from its location.

• Attached images from InDesign document, and epub file which was exported from InDesign.

• Links from…

55 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Indesign 2021 (16.0) IDLK file do not lock

It is currently possible that two users are able to open the same Indesign file. I am working on a network volume via VPN and it was possible for my colleague to open the same file i was working with. The *.idlk file was generated but it seems that it would not be recognized from the other Indesign my colleague was using.

I tried to reproduce this issuue with Indesign 2020 and all worked fine as expected.

This is an enormous issue for collaboration with other colleagues at the same projects.

31 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Restore video from URL media option

For some unexplained reason the Video from URL option has been removed from InDesign 2020. This needs to be restored ASAP as there are people using this feature.

Moveover, it needs a minor improvement to allow HTTPS links (https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/37474690-place-a-video-from-a-url-with-https).

It was a big mistake to not query the community before removing this and it should be a simple thing to restore.

276 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

113 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Opening Text Wrap panel crashes application

1. Indesign 2021

2. Place image, open text wrap panel, does not open panel and crashes.

Happens with any image and any document. Panel opens fine if pic box empty.

OsX Mojave.

Gone back to 2020.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 219 220
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base