Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Export and Save As dialogs not showing up in MacOS Monterey

1. 16.4
    2. Installed MacOS Monterey then InDesign Export or Save As dialogs stopped working.
    3. Export or Save As dialogs should be showing up
    4. Export or Save As dialogs not showing up with either keyboard shortcuts or when using the dropdown menu.
    5. The issue was validated by your support staff Lakshay (Adobe) through remote access 26.10.2021
    49 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

53 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Red stripes in InDesign document

Why do I get red stripes in the indesign document when I have more than two files open?

96 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

81 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 81 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

87 comments  ·  PNG/JPEG/EPS Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    FIXED  ·  amaarora responded

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2021 – that is, InDesign 16.2.1

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you still face this problem.

Adobe InDesign Team

4. InDesign 16.0 saves Converted files in last used folder, not containing folder

On Catalina OSX (10.15.7), InDesign 2021 (16.0) saves a Converted file to the last used Finder folder, rather than the folder the document is contained in.

Happens with 'Save As...', as well as saving InCopy assignments.

236 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

186 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Graphics glitches galore on M1 MacBook Air + external 4K monitor

InDesign 17 on an M1 MacBook Air with Big Sur is barely usable with an external 4K monitor. There are graphic artifacts everywhere, especially near the margins/edge of boxes which makes it hard to know if anything is aligned properly. Everything looks okay on the laptop's built-in display but is distorted on the external.

Also, when scrolling, the screen updates sporadically and usually does the Windows 95-looking stuck window effect.

If I turn off the GPU it looks better when working statically but when scrolling it is even worse.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. "Selection" and "direct selection" tool icons mixed up in toolbar

The button images for "selection" and "direct selection" tools are mixed-up. The buttons are still in their correct place, but the "selection tool" button now displays the white arrow in the toolbar, the "direct selection" button the black arrow.

The mouse arrows themselves remain correct, as do their functions.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

ID 2022 is showing the correct behavior for the Selection and Direct Selection Tools in all color themes. Compare the Dark Theme icons with the Light theme icons to know the difference.
    So basically, now the “Filled/Solid” tool is the Selection Tool and the “Hollow” tool is the Direct Selection Tool.
    As you can see, in the Dark/Medium Dark mode, the Selection Tool is shown as Filled and the Direct Selection Tool is shown as Hollow – which is the same as in the Light theme.
    The earlier versions of InDesign were showing it incorrectly.

InDesign team

7. Type 1 font warning for no reason

I am getting a warning that my document contains type 1 fonts (10 of them) when they do not (contains 4 OTF fonts).

As far as I know, I have never used a type one font in any document on my current computer which is only a few weeks old ... Mac mini with t1 chip.

InDesign version 17.0.1

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Hyperlink alt text is ignored in the latest version of Indesign

When creating or editing a hyperlink there is an option to add alt text. If you add alt text to your link and export an accessible PDF the alt text is ignored. I have a document with a ton of hyperlinks that all need alt text which we have added but don't come through because of this bug. Now I'm forced to add them again to the PDF.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

According to the ISO-32000, the Hyperlinks are NOT supposed to be populated into the Alt-Text field. They should be entered into the Contents Key (see attachment) instead.
    InDesign currently does place them in the correct place [see screenshot attached].
    While someone using Acrobat can also add them to the Alt-text field, this is technically less correct than entering into the Contents key but either will pass an Accessibility checker.

InDesign implemented this correctly based on the above information (provided by Accessibility experts, like Dax Castro, thanks Dax).

Closing this issue.

Adobe InDesign team

9. Missing Glyphs on PDF export in InDesign v17.0

using the google font Signika, quotation marks and colons give me a missing glyph upon export to pdf. When using v16.4, this is not an issue.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is available in the InDesign PreRelease build(v17.1.0.49) and above.
    Please check if the issue now stands resolved.

Download/Update the latest InDesign PreRelease build in Creative Cloud under the “Prerelease” category(Refer to “Prerelease_CreativeCloud.png” for reference)
    Please apply to the InDesign PreRelease in case you don’t have access to InDesign PreRelease build – https://www.adobeprerelease.com/beta/C6DFA254-C40C-4EEB-8F6D-F4AEDA2E6171

If you still encounter any issues, please drop a mail to sharewithID@adobe.com.

Adobe InDesign team

10. problem with optical margin alignment and world-ready paragraph composer

1. This happens in multiple versions of InDesign. I've reproduced it in ID CS 6 (8.1.0.420), ID CC 2019 (14.0.3.433), ID 2021 (16.4.0.55), and ID 2022 (17.0.0.68).

2. Steps to reproduce:
      (1) Open InDesign
      (2) Create a new empty document
      (3) Create a text frame that is 100 mm by 100 mm
      (4) Place Text4.txt
      (5) Go Type > Story > check Optical Margin Alignment

3. Expected result:
      The left margin should be somewhat ragged because the * character needs to be shifted left to make the margin appear straight. The right margin should be completely even because each line ends with the…

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Load DTD throws error in InDesign 2022 (17.0)

When using the structure menu to load a DTD , the latest version of InDesign sometimes throws an error with a single period as the message. I'm using the same DTD I've used successfully in previous versions of InDesign.

Error text:
    Line 941, Column: 18

In the context of this DTD, line 941 column 18 points to the % sign used to refer to an earlier parameter entity. This has never been a problem for InDesign before:

<!ELEMENT sam (%paragraph_styles; | table | footnote | endnote)+ >

Even using the same DTD in the same file, this issue doesn't…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Text wrapping has changed to before 2019 use textFrame based indent

To place a graphicItem with text wrap, it is not an object-based indent like 2020, but a text frame-based indent before 2019.

1 Version
    16.0.1(macOS10.14/10.15.6)

2 Steps to reproduce the issues
    1. Make TextFrame. To places graphicItem above the textFrame and set text wrap.
    2. The indent set in the textFrame does not take effect for the object for which wrap text is set like before 2019.

3 Expected result
    Indent set in the textFrame does take effect for the object for which wrap text is set like 2020.
    Please refer below Community article.
    https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesignフォーラム/indesign2020ではできていた回り込み時のインデント設定の維持が2021ではなくなっている/m-p/11677071

4 Actual result
    The indent…

83 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 161 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

190 comments  ·  Share for Review  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Indesign 2022 closes randomly

Since the application updated to version 17, I rarely get to work. After a few seconds open, it simply closes.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. ID 2020 15.1 - All text variables (including page numbers) replaced by "ss" text

Just updated to ID 2020 15.1 and found a bug which makes the program unusable forcing me to immediately downgrade.
    When I open on of my ID documents created in previous version of ID, all of my defined text variables as well as page numbers are corrupted and replaced by the "ss" text. Changing the style has no effect. I can create page number based on the 'Basic Paragraph' style but when i choose any other previously created style, the number changes to 'ss'.
    Even the variable field preview shows 'ss' text instead of variable name.
    The same document opens…

217 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

122 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. IDML Saving Stuck at 95% in InDesign 2022 - v 17.0.1x64 - Windows 10 Pro x64

Idml Export Stuck at 95% for Indesign file (604) pages mostly text , i tried many times and resave the file in different indd file name and location, and still stuck in 95% when saving to IDML, even in exporting to IDML or Packaging the Project, the problem is the same

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Idml Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Problem with *.wmf files in InDesign 16.3

I've got a file with many equations created in MathType, exported as *.wmf files and placed in Adobe In Design. Until today everything was fine. But after a new update to version 16.3 all my equations were destroyed. In the attachment I'm sending the same page exported to PDF before and after update. Please help me.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. »Create outlines« of text on a circle path is making weird things

v 17.0.1
    Intel Mac
    Big Sur

If you have a longer text written on a circle path and try to »Create Outlines« it fails at one area: The text gets smaller and is kind of turned around.

This only happens with longer text: Short text seems to work ok.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Share for Review strikethrough & highlight from online edits aren't visible in InDesign

InDesign Vs. 16 Share for Review: if the reviewer uses the strikethrough text or highlight option, I don't see these in my indesign doc. I can see the strikethrough text on the browser version, but the highlight disppears completely. The review comment is in both places, just not what it's referencing.

56 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

62 comments  ·  Share for Review  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Resizing table cell causes InDesign to crash

1. Adobe InDesign 17.0 x64 (2022).
    2. Resize the single-cell table so that the content overflows.
    3. Content should disappear and overflow symbol should appear.
    4. InDesign crashes.
    5. Uservoice doesn't allow .idml attachments, so the document is available here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ui8zrhk5ibm1kt/overflowCrash.idml?dl=0
    7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 245 246
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base