Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Restore video from URL media option

For some unexplained reason the Video from URL option has been removed from InDesign 2020. This needs to be restored ASAP as there are people using this feature.

Moveover, it needs a minor improvement to allow HTTPS links (https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/37474690-place-a-video-from-a-url-with-https).

It was a big mistake to not query the community before removing this and it should be a simple thing to restore.

263 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

103 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Spell Check does not work after installing InDesign 15.0.2

Dear Adobe Team,
    in our office we use In Design from several years without nothing problems.

Yesterday we had updated the version 15.0.2. After that, the spell-check (we use the Italian language) don’t work if we import text in a existing document.

But if we import text in a new document, the spell-check work without problems.

Please can you help us?

80 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

70 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you, everyone, who’ve responded so far with your documents. It has really helped to isolate the cause of this bug.

We have been able to identify the issue to be happening because of the Spelling Dictionary (under Preferences > Dictionary) set to “Proximity”. If we set the Spelling Dictionary to “Hunspell”, the Check Spelling feature works without problems.

While we’re working to fix the bug with the “Proximity” dictionary and make the fix available as quickly as we can, we recommend that you switch the Spelling Dictionary to “Hunspell” in the meanwhile to continue to spell check your documents as earlier. Please ensure that you set the Spelling Dictionary to Hunspell after changing the Language in this dialog.
    For example, if your document text is English:UK, then under Preferences>Dictionary, first set the language to English:UK and then change the Spelling Dictionary to ‘Hunspell’. Similarly, if your document text is…

3. AdobeFnt.lst automatically reappears after deleting

InDesign version: 15.0.2

Suddenly (after the latest March 2020 InDesign update?) the AdobeFont.lst file created with InDesign packages automatically shows up with folder structure after deleting a package. This is really aggravating for file management. It's as if my team can't fully delete InDesign packages. This is happening with multiple InDesign files on multiple machines.

52 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

47 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Undo Not Working properly in InDesign 2020

InDesign CC 2020 Undo goes back to last saved version. It does not go back one step with Command-Z. Therefore, I lose all edits made since last save. It also crashes frequently

89 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

130 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. InDesign 2020 won't overwrite PDF

Since updating to Indesign 2020 I can't overwrite pdf files from the export menu it says 'file is still open' when it's not. Yet another thing broken on the yearly beta test.

125 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

82 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.1

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

6. Major System Font Issue!

WHAT THE FONT!?!

Our publishing company recently ran the InDesign update (to 15.0.2) and have discovered some major font issues. I have narrowed it down to InDesign 15.0.2, macOS Catalina 10.15.3, and Suitcase Fusion 21.0.0. I actually don't think Suitcase has too much to do with this, because the problem occurred after the InDesign update, but it's our font management software so I'm including it. Basically it appears system fonts have become problematic with InDesign. Packaged files are suddenly showing up with lots of the dreaded pink. I have tested about everything I can. I even created some very simple…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Presentation mode (shift+w) glitch in catalina

Indesign CC 2019 running on a 15-inch, 2018 Mac, 2,6 GHz Intel Core i7 6 core, 32GB memory, with Catalina iOS 10.15.

Every time i enter the "presentation mode", the first page i visualize looks good, when i move with the keyboard arrows to another page it visualizes glithces.

48 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

According to our detailed investigation, we have identified that the issue seems to inside macOS 10.15.
    We have reported this issue to Apple and Apple has fixed this issue in their latest version of released Catalina i.e. macOS10.15.3.

Please update your Mac systems to fix this issue.
    If you still face this issue after updating your macOS , do comment on this thread.

8. CC 2020 + Catalina makes computer really slow

On a brand new iMac (Catalina), opening CC 2020 apps makes everything lag. When Adobe apps are not open, computer performance is fine. According to the Adobe Support Community, this issue seems pretty widespread and Adobe's suggested fixes do not help.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Adobe InDesign 2020 - Packaging creates multiple duplicate folders

After updating to Adobe InDesign 2020, packaging an InDesign document results in creating duplicate project folders with only the document fonts included in the duplicate folders.

These folders appear a few minutes after packaging the folder. Every time I package one document, It seems to duplicate all folders of projects packaged after the update to 2020.

This person also has the same issue, but I can't find the bug reported: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-is-creating-extra-folders-after-packaging-files/td-p/10962315?page=1

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. [Performance] Footnote disappears

A footnote disappeared without reason then appeared back when I changed something in the page layout. This is a very important bug because InDesign didn't display any kind of warning about this problem: no red indicator of missing text or overfull text block. I noticed it by chance. Please look at the screen captures to understand it: the number 2 footnote is missing whereas the footnote number is present in the text. In the other screen capture, the problem has been solved.

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Spell check issue

So there is a bug with Indesign 2020 causing Spell Check to not function.

This issue can be replicated by taking a file that was previously created in Indesign 2019 and opening it and saving in with Indesign 2020. Spell checking that document will not work. No matter what settings you try it doesn't recognize any of the text.

If you open the original document before converting it or working on it with 2020 spell check works perfectly.

You can also take a page from the 2020 document that isn't spell checking, Open a new file in 2020, cut and…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Serious problem of "^" for GREP search

Enter only "^" in the GREP search string field and click the search button to select the insertion point at the beginning of the paragraph. But this cannot be used for replacement. The replacement result is 0.
    I gave up that it was only useful for simple pointing tricks, but when I run it from a script the application hangs.

It is like this. (When executed, the rainbow cursor will rotate forever.
    Please be careful. )

app.findGrepPreferences.findWhat = "^";
    var res = app.activeDocument.findGrep ();

If the replacement string field is "~ c" (the contents of the clipboard), the first character…

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. InDesign, InCopy: linked copy and image files randomly broken

We are a group of 16 graphic designers working on Macs. Our OS are varied between Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave. We work in InDesign 14.03 and 15.02 (with linked InCopy assets), Bridge 9.1 and 10.03, Photoshop 20.0.8 and 21.1, and Illustrator 23.1.1 and 24.1. We work on Box Drive and store our layout files and absolute-linked image assets there. It is critical that we are able to work on each others’ files in a high-volume, high-production environment. We don’t believe this is an issue related to our connection speeds.

Looking for a resolution to these issues:

InDesign: Not all…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Placed graphic displays and exports outside stroke.

A placed graphic will show onscreen and in graphic exports like PNG and JPG outside the stroke when the stroke is aligned to the inside of the frame. InDesign 2020 and earlier. To reproduce: place a graphic, add a stroke to the frame, align stroke to inside, export the page to jpg or png. A thin portion of the image is visible outside the stroke. Obviously, this is most noticeable when the stroke is thick and white.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. ID 2020 - Indent in combination with wrap text around an image not working

In Indesign 2020, whenever I want to wrap text next to an image, but the text also has an indent the text jumps from the supposed position.
    In Indesign 2019 this did not happen. The text was wrapped nicely next to the image, the way you should expect.

My guess what happens here, is that the indent specs are applied not the the edge of the frame, but to the edge of the text. Which corrupts the spacing between the image and the text.

I'm working with the latest 2020 version on iMac with Catalina

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Data Merge function "Remove Blank Lines for Empty Fields" deletes the wrong paragraph

Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server

Adobe InDesign 15.0.1

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

iMac 27 Zoll End 2012

Steps to reproduce the issues

See also attached video

Open Document "02VKLeerzeilenTEMPEnde.indd"
    Open Data-Merge Panel
    Generate a merged document with click on the button
    Uncheck "Remove Blank Lines for Empty Fields" in Content Placement Options
    Press [OK]
    Repeat Step 3 this time Check "Remove Blank Lines for Empty Fields" in Content Placement Options
    Press [OK]
    Put the documents side by side
    Activate "Show Style override" in the paragraph panel
    Jump to page 2
    On the left…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Empty Document Font Folder Created when opening existing InDesign Files

Version: InDesign Version 15.0.2
    Computer: Imac 2015, OSX Mojave 10.14.6

Bug started happening after update to InDesign 15.0.2

Steps to reproduce the issues:
    - Open an InDesign file that is contained in a folder that has been packaged. This folder includes the "Document Fonts Folder"
    - Close the InDesign File.
    - Open Another InDesign File that is in another packaged folder (that contains the "Document Fonts Folder" that is not related to the first file you opened.
    - A NEW DUPLICATED FOLDER will be created from the PREVIOUS FILE that was opened, and placed where the file was last opened. …

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Thumb nail of indesign saved files not appearing after 2019 to 2020 update

Can anyone help me with this issue, since I update to the 2020 InDesign from 2019 all my icons in saved files don't show the InDesign thumbnail is this a bug or just me being dumb?

note -
    -Files still open as normal.
    -Even if I save them in 2020 formate still no icons
    -Other adobe programs since update show Icons.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    Can you please let us know if any of the below workarounds help:
    1. On refreshing the contents of the folder (where these indesign files and idml are saved), the icons of indd and idml files should appear again

2. On the 2nd launch of InDesign the folder icons should reappear.

Thanks

19. Id CC 2020 pdf export failure

I get an error "Failed to Export the PDF file" when exporting file previously created in Id CC 2019.
    Id does not give any details about the error. It simply stops exporting. I've never seen such a message before (I've been working with Id since version 1.0).
    The same file is exported from CC2019 without any problems.
    Windows 10 with all updates.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. ScriptUI: Opening Dialog while dialog is open breaks InDesign

I'm running InDesign 14.0.2 on a macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

In a script i created I have a Dialog. It has a button that opens another dialog.

Before my last indesign-update (CC 14.0.2) the second dialog would open and when i closed it, i could use the previous dialog window again.

Now with the Update when I open the second dialog and close it again, i cant use (or close) the previous dialog and it blocks me from using InDesign. I can move the dialogwindow around but thats it so i have to restart indesign.

I tested this on two…

108 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

44 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

← Previous 1 3 4 5 143 144
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base