Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Bugs with GPU, Bugs without GPU (zoom, moving objects, create text)

(Working on Adobe InDesign 14.0.2.)

Hi there,

so for a couple of weeks, my Indesign behaves quite badly.
    For demonstration purposes, I created a new blank file but these bugs also occur in existing work projects.

Case 1: GPU switched on (Image: GPU on):
    Zooming does not show any effect, only when I click in and change something. The rulers change, but my board/document is not zooming in (Video: Zooming with GPU). As soon as I found my page, the objects don't really move that well, more in a lagging, stocking way. (Video: Moving Objects with GPU).

This leads to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. InDesign won't import Microsoft Word Equations, even as graphics

Take the following word file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sta1b2iqhtx72if/basic%20word%20fail.docx?dl=0
    it contains two equations that I've highlighted in the original.png file so their locations can be identified (I've only done this to the screen capture, they're not highlighted in the word file).
    Now, place this word file into InDesign and the result as shown in result.png is that the equations are missing.
    The version of Word used is Microsoft Word for Mac 16.16.11 (190609) but I'm sure the same thing will happen from Word for Windows

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Data Merge won't include emoji unicode characters

I've created a test file with links and images and test text to try and replicate the fault. Follow the steps in the InDesign file attached.

Put simply, text – whether it is UTF-8 or UTF-16 can import unicode characters that are meant to represent emojis etc, and this is demonstrated in the test file. While not in the minion character set, I've created a GREP style that looks for unicode characters and changes them to apple color emoji. That bit works.
    What does NOT work is when importing the text as part of a data merge... instead the unicode…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Data Merge won't include emoji unicode characters

I've created a test file with links and images and test text to try and replicate the fault. Follow the steps in the InDesign file attached.

Put simply, text – whether it is UTF-8 or UTF-16 can import unicode characters that are meant to represent emojis etc, and this is demonstrated in the test file. While not in the minion character set, I've created a GREP style that looks for unicode characters and changes them to apple color emoji. That bit works.
    What does NOT work is when importing the text as part of a data merge... instead the unicode…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Data Merge won't include emoji unicode characters

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Adobe InDesign CC 2017 on Windows 10

When editing colours into the swatches panel, the entire panel is locked, the colours greyed-out. After having deleted the cache it's OK for a moment, but the problem re-appears regularly.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Bug with Adjust Layout - and additional ideas

Bug issue where pages with multiple frames of content condenses into one tiny frame in the center of the spread. (Photo attached of result)

Page tool and liquid layout features work just fine, so this is only happening with adjust layout.

Additionally, please add a feature that allows a facing page design to be converted to a landscape design (this would be useful when specifically converting printed designs for slideshows/epubs

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Pointer cursor stuck in hand mode when holding Cmnd with Pen Tool

I am using the Pen Tool and holding Command to get the pointer. My cursor is shown as a hand, and does not allow me to select path points. Other users have flagged this bug. Here are my details and screenshot.

OS 10.14.5
    InDesign 14.0.2
    Screenshot
    Spell check utility installed on system : Antidote Agent 4.4.4

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Ctrl + Tab Keyboard Shortcut Bug

I tried to assign "Ctrl"+"Tab" to "Window Next" (to get the same shortcut as OS-default) but Indesign seems not to do anything when hitting this shortcut. When assigning other shortcuts to the same action it works.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Indesign CC 2015

When editiing text and applying styles using the eyedropper tools some users in my production team are using the colour theme tool by accident.

This is then applying the rich black colour swatch to pages that should only be using true black. Can you change the default colour to true black or allow the default colour to be changed.

Alternatively could you add a feature to customise the toolbar so you can remove/add tools that you want.

Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. "Same" font sizes, but they're not

In the most recent version of indesign, when I copy or duplicate a text box, the font size says it's the same, but it is about 2-3 points bigger. Even after eyedorpping the previous style, it doesn't change. I have to manually make a new text box, recreate the font details before copying and pasting it into the box.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. paragraph lines don't fit rounded frame-line

When using rounded corners on textframes, paragraph-lines don't fit to the right frame.
    We use it with 0,5-pt-framelines and there is a small distance between both lines.
    Depending on typesize (and perhaps on other parameters), the distance has different measures.
    InDesignCC (14.0.2) / OSX HighSierra (10.13.6)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. paragraph lines don't fit rounded frame-line

When using rounded corners on textframes, paragraph-lines don't fit to the right frame.
    We use it with 0,5-pt-framelines and there is a small distance between both lines.
    Depending on typesize (and perhaps on other parameters), the distance has different measures.
    InDesignCC (14.0.2) / OSX HighSierra (10.13.6)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. export

When exporting a PDF, the progress bar has two frames reversed. As the progress bar moves downwards, it goes from leaving the four bottom lines filled, to the bottom three, bottom two, then an empty bar, then one bar filled. Those last two frames are out of order.

InDesign CC 2019 v14.0

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Can't accept "highlighted" text (with replacement text) using Import PDF Comments

For years I have taught my clients to not use insert or strike through, simply because they are hard to see and click on, especially on a laptop. I much prefer the old school way, highlighted text, with an attached replacement text. Now with Import PDF comments, I see them but can't accept them. Can you make that work?
    INDD 14.0.2, MacOS 10.14.5, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Strange First Line Indent bug in Indesign CC 2017

We have faced the series First Line Indent issue in the InDesign version (CC2017-2019). The first line indent is not working if we have the span column text in the InDesign file. It will get the indentation after made any changes in the paragraph. Here the example InDesign file for your checking.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Strange First Line Indent bug in Indesign CC 2017

We have faced the series First Line Indent issue in the InDesign version (CC2017-2019). The first line indent is not working if we have the span column text in the InDesign file. It will get the indentation after made any changes in the paragraph. Here the example InDesign file for your checking.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Variable chapter number

The variable 'chapter number' gives a problem, wherever it is used it is represented as '1'.
    Because chapter numbers and paragraph numbers are not included in the Continuous header, it is useful if it can be displayed separately.
    Is it possible to include this numbering in the variable in the future (as an option)?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. file icon disappears upon update, association remains

Windows file icons disappear after update (14.0.2 x64) resulting in blank white icons, but files are still associated with InDesign.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Export to Fixed Layout EPUB - Poor Image Quality

I am currently working on a graphic novel project that I am planning on submitting to apple books as an epub file. The files were created in adobe illustrator and subsequently, linked into adobe indesign to create the final published product. I have noticed that the image quality when exported to epub is far inferior to when that same file is exported to a pdf file. That is regardless of the alterations that you make to PPI or other options (such as altering between PNG, JPG and other file formats) prior to exporting to epub. I have adjusted the PPI…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 103 104
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base