Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Problem with changing the cursor to text

Hello. After running the latest version of InDesign CC 2019 v. 14.0, I have a problem with changing the cursor to text. It takes about 50 seconds. This happens each time you launch InDesign.

155 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

156 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

2. InDesign CC2019 - blank control panel

Just installed InDesign CC2019. Bizarrely the control panel containing the adjustment controls with character and paragraph setting is there but empty. I tried turning off and on, and resetting the workspace but to no avail. Resetting preferences on start up has worked but feel this could happen again.

72 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

63 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

3. Mouse-click in menus becomes disabled

InDesign 12.1.0.56; macOS Sierra 10.12.5; Magic Mouse

The issue varies with any file. I have mostly seen this occur when in the Find/Change window, or when I try and select a font. My mouse will not be able to click (select) anything in the drop down menus. I am able to select with my keyboard by using the arrows and "return" key. To get the mouse to click (select) an option from a drop down menu, I must first restart InDesign and then open the same file.

72 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

93 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Typekit (or Adobe Fonts) or Fonts menu collapses while browsing through the list of fonts.

I am absolutely loving the new InDesign features. But, whilst testing the new Typekit/Adobe Fonts browsing window in InDesign I came across this bug / crash. Instead of allowing me to freely roam the vast selection of fantastic fonts, the window just decides to close and defaults to one of the already synced fonts.

InDesign version: 14.0, included a screencap.

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

5. Type Tool Deselects Itself

InDesign 14.0

When selecting the Type Tool by using the keyboard shortcut (T), it briefly activates, then deactivates itself and the previous tool selected is made active again. I am unable to use the type tool in the brief period of time it is made active. I can select it successfully by clicking on the icon on the sidebar.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

34 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. content aware fit and linked images problem

Content aware fit is a great idea and is potentially a real timesaver when importing images but I've had to disable it as when updating existing linked images that have been adjusted, rather than keep their size/scale as before they all auto-fit and this is a nightmare when you have carefully placed images such as logos in a long document.

Could do with an option to auto fit on image import only, or an option to override when updating image links. Unless I've missed something?

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update (14.0.2) of InDesign 2019.

If you are unable to see the update notification, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

The list of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

7. serial number changed on cc2019

User is not required to fill-in a serial number on CC apps, but nevertheless the numbers still exist and are used by 3rd party script creators to identify the user and license the script.
    this SN was kept the same on all CC versions but now it was changed. this means I need to repurchase my scripts licenses.
    the 3rd party programmer can't use just username becuase there may be more than one indesign license under one username.
    suggested solution: just keep the SN as it was on CC2018 and don'r make us pay for nothing

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.

8. New defined Character Color in Paragraph Style not visible

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
    Adobe InDesign CC Version 2017.1 Build 12.1.0.56
    MAC OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

2. Steps to reproduce the issues
    Create a new Paragraph Style
    Go to Character Color tab
    Create new color with a double click in the black square
    Define some values for C/M/Y/K and click OK

3. Expected result
    The new color shoud show up at the end of the existing color list

4. Actual result
    The new Color don’t show up
    After changing to another tab and back the color show up

5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9. Color Settings Not Sticking

Upon updating to InDesign 2019 (14.0) my color settings are no longer retained.

As soon as I quit the app and restart the color settings go back to "Emulate Adobe InDesign 2.0 CMS Off"

I have reinstalled the app.
    I have wiped all settings.
    I have cleared the Adobe Color Cache folder.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Regards,
    InDesign Team

10. InDesign in Windows ALWAYS forgets app size and position!

This has been a persistent pain for many YEARS. Everyone knows that an app should open to the last position and size. That's what the double-box icon is for in the upper right corner of the window border. Every single application in WIndows honors this "requirement" for Windows conformance.

InDesign forces Windows users to reposition and resize the program every single time it is opened. This becomes a tremendous nuisance, and in any other program would be considered incomplete and unprofessional. PLEASE, for all the users who don't know how to report this bug, and for those of us who…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11. Align toolbar: "Use Spacing" is greyed out

Version: Adobe InDesign cc 2019 (v 14.0)

Steps to reproduce:
    I'm not sure how to reproduce it. After some minutes of working, the checkbox for "Use Spacing" in toolbar Align/Distribute Spacing is greyed out and inactive. Not sure when it happens or what makes it happen.
    But: in the Properties toolbar, "Use Spacing" is not greyed out and it is working normal, as seen in the attached picture. If I click the checkbox in the Properties toolbar, then the checkbox in the Align toolbar is activated and not greyed out anymore.

Expected result:
    "Use Spacing" in Align toolbar should not…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12. Incopy 2019 cannot open icap file created by ID 2019

.icap files created with ID 2019 cannot be opened with IC 2019 with error message „An error occured while opening the file.“ Tested on Mac OS X 10.12.6.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13. Paragraph Return is changed into Paragraph Separator (U+2029)

Version: Indesign CC 2018 and Incopy CC 2018

The bug as described on https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2344905 still exists in the latest version.

During the exporting INDD into IDML, the error below occurs.
    Certain Paragraph Return (\r) is changed into 'PARAGRAPH SEPARATOR'(U+2029) and the first sentence’s paragraph style is changed into the paragraph style of the second sentence which makes two sentences into one.
    Every time this bug occurs, we have to open the INDD file and change “U+2029” into another character such as “space” and export it again.
    Finally we found out that this error occurs when 8000th character is “Paragraph Return…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Idml Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14. Drop-down menu options not highlighting

Visual feedback of selected item works when moving down through list using Down Arrow Key. Visual feedback does not work when moving back up through the list using Up Arrow Key. It will select the correct item, it just doesn't show that the correct item is currently highlighted.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15. 2 Headings in 1 cell is displayed incorrectly in the TOC

Since InDesign version 14.0 x64 (Windows), when creating or updating a TOC, the second heading is directly connected to the first heading without any distance and without chapter number. This only happens if both source headings are in 1 cell.

The proof: Documents made before version 14 have a correct TOC. If I open such a document with version 14 and update the TOC, it will break as mentioned above.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16. Crashes when Placing Docs from Microsoft Word

Since updating to CC2019 I am having constant crashes when placing from Microsoft Word.
    The same documents were not an issue last week when using CC2018, both the same InDesign doc and word doc worked perfectly together.
    Any suggestions as to how I can fix this critical issue - I'm on a business critical deadline, failing to meet it quite literally means the closure of our business.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Regards,
    InDesign Team

17. Prompted to save with no changes made to document

InDesign CC

I open a saved document in InDesign, but have no made any changes or touched the document at all. InDesign puts the asterisk next to my file anyways, prompting me to save upon exit. But no changes have been made. This is very annoying because I don't know if a change has been made or the program is messing up. I then have to update all of my PDF exports just to be safe.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18. InDesign crashes on launch in "PlugPlugOwl.dll"

InDesign 2019 doesn't open after the first loading box on startup. I downloaded 2018, 2017 and 2015. 2015 is the only one that works at the moment but the others have the same issue.
    My computers processor is Intel Pentium 1.5 GHz
    I've attached the crash report.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19. GREP, odd behaviour in InDesign v. 14.0.2

Search and replace with GREP in InDesign version 14.0.2 behaves oddly.

This simple GREP used to work fine:
    (?<=\s)([\u\s\,]+)$

It matches upper case letters, commas and space between them at the end of a paragraph. But now it only matches some of them.

Really strange.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. PDF

When placing a PDF of stylized text into ID2019, some text flips upside down. But it works fine in ID2018.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base