Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

123 results found

1. AdobeFnt.lst automatically reappears after deleting

InDesign version: 15.0.2

Suddenly (after the latest March 2020 InDesign update?) the AdobeFont.lst file created with InDesign packages automatically shows up with folder structure after deleting a package. This is really aggravating for file management. It's as if my team can't fully delete InDesign packages. This is happening with multiple InDesign files on multiple machines.

148 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  amaarora responded

As confirmed by multiple users, this issue is fixed in latest version of InDesign.

Thanks for your feedback.

-InDesign Team

2. InDesign CC 2018/High Sierra - Cannot package files

Since updating to High Sierra I am not able to package files. The error message is simply "Unable to package the document. InDesign cannot access '(file name'.indd).

I am using InDesign CC 13.0.1 on macOS High Sierra 10.13.1

Don't know if this is of any use or not, but also if I try using my bulk packaging script, the error I get is "undefined is not an object (line 186)

65 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,
    The issue has been fixed with Apple’s MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4 Beta (17E139).

You can try out the fix by updating your machine to the beta update from Apple.
    Let us know if the issue is fixed for you after aforementioned High Sierra beta update.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

3. Unable to package a file to a server after upgrading to Mojave.

Dear Adobe,
    Yesterday we upgraded to 10.14 Mojave and I am not able to package files from windows server. Indesign freezes every time.
    I can make packeges from my MAC or from external hard drives. The network is working correctly. On High Sierrea everything worked properly.

Indesign CC 2018: 13.0
    Mac: 10.14

38 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

We have concluded our investigation into the issue and found that the issue is specific to few versions of MacOS 10.14.×.
    As a part of our investigation we had reached out to many of you, where many of you have confirmed that the issue gets resolved after upgrading to MacOS 10.14.5.

Note:
    If you are NOT using MacOS 10.14.5 and still facing this issue, please upgrade your MacOs to 10.14.5 version.
    In case you continue to face the same issue after the upgrade, you may reach out to us at sharewithid@adobe.com.

For any other problem related to packaging workflows please create a new thread.

We are closing this thread for now.

Thank you for your patience all this while.

-InDesign Team

4. update package

Instead of making a new package every time it would be really handy to be able to update an existing package.
    proposed Use Case/action:
    a new menu item: Update Package… > Show package in Finder/Windows Explorer > Only the items that are not in the existing package will be added (the items in the package that are not used will be kept in the updated package)
    Thank you

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Adobe Fonts automatically substituting versions of fonts that are document-stalled

When I open an InDesign file that has been packaged with all the fonts (non-Adobe Fonts) included in the Document fonts folder, if I happen to have the same version of the font activated in Adobe Fonts, InDesign automatically, and without warning, substitutes the Adobe Fonts version. This is a major problem. The heirarchy should be document-installed fonts FIRST, then InDesign can look in Adobe Fonts and suggest replacing it. This should not be done without warning in the background. It means that the person who was working in a package workflow without using any Adobe Fonts can send a…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Cannot print with trapping turned on

After installing the newest updated version of InDesign today whenever I attempt to print a two color job as separations with the trapping turned on I get a message stating "the engine failed to output due to an unknown error." It's kind of important to have the trapping on with tight registration print jobs.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Printing Error: Problem initializing the current printer - Check the system print setting?

Printing Error: Problem initializing the current printer - Check the system print setting?

I have not changed anything in my settings for this error to occur? The previous version works and I have cross-referenced all my settings and they match but it will not allow the print booklet export to the Adobe PDF drive which has always worked?

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sometimes, InDesign might crash while accessing the printer setup or while printing documents with some specific printers. The crash is intermittent and specific to Windows only.
    Currently, this issue is observed with the following printers when their drivers are not updated:
    • Konica Minolta
    • Canon ColorPass
    LANIER

If the printer you are using is not listed here or if updating the drivers of the listed printers does not resolve the issue, please share the following information at sharewithID@adobe.com to help us investigate the issue further:
    • Printer driver and printer setup details.
    • The configuration of your printer – local, network, or wireless.
    • Is the printer configured as your default printer?
    _
    Adobe InDesign Team

8. Printing Error: The Adobe Print Engine has failed to output your data due to an unknown problem

Since I update indesign to CC 2019 I can't print to booklet all of my .indd files which were overwrited in .indd version CC 2019 (and even the older versions can't be printed to booklet...).
    I got the error message : "printing error : The Adobe Print engine has failed to output your data due to an unknow problem"

indesign 14.0.1
    Windows 7 version 6.1
    printer : Adobe PDF

Here is the error log :

%%[ ProductName: Distiller ]%%
    %%[Page: 1]%%

%%[ Error: invalidrestore; OffendingCommand: restore ]%%

Stack:

-save-

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%% …

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

We have been able to reproduce the issue and it is currently under investigation.

Customers facing similar issue, please share the document with santalwa@adobe.com

Regards
    InDesign Team

9. Printing Error: ^1

Ever since the 2019 update nearly all of our inDesign files refuse to print, you get error message ^1. We are running MacOS Mojave printing to a Cannon Image Runner Advance

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Image color settings get lost when duplicating image or when data merging

If a placed image has an icc-profile different from the documents' profile, that profile assigment will get lost when the image is being duplicated. The same thing is going to happen if the document is being data merged for variable data printing. The image will have a wrong profile assignment in the additional records when creating the merged document. Only the first record will be properly printed, the duplicates won't. Test files attached.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

By default color profiles are not maintained while copy-pasting and this behavior exists since CS6.
    To enable the behavior of maintaining a color profile while performing copy-paste action, we need to apply the required settings at the application/document level under the color settings dialog from the edit menu.
    To do so, open color settings and set color management policies for CMYK to preserve embedded profiles.

Closing the issue as designed.

InDesign team

11. Paragraph shading disappears when printing to postscript

We are using InDesign CC 2017. When we have paragraph shading applied in a paragraph style sometimes the shading will disappear in the PDF when printing to postscript. Strange enough, this is not (always) the case for the entire paragraph or all the paragraphs with that style. But just a part of the text.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Missing links in packages

Link paths are the original paths, not the ones redirecting to the package's folder, although 'update graphic links in package' is activated.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Unable to print using Separations with trap Application Built In

When sending a 2+ color job with trap to RIP via Indesign, I keep getting "Printing Error: The Adobe Print Engine has failed to output your data due to an unknown problem." This seems to be an issue with the last 3 versions, along with the updates. I've uninstalled print drivers and reinstalled. Deleted cache files. For a short time I was able to print using an older version on Id but its no longer and option. My coworker who is on Mac has no problem printing with trap. Not sure what's going on. I contacted Adobe when the problem…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Separation preview ink percentages wrong

I just upgraded to the 2022 (v17) version of InDesign, and my separations preview percentages are blatantly wrong (e.g. what should have 200% ink coverage was showing up as 0% for every swatch). Even when it gave believable percentages of ink coverage, it still lagged significantly behind the 2021 (v16.4) version. My coworkers had the same issue, but when we reverted back to the prior version, we had no trouble.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Printing a document with variable fonts garbles them

(I sent test fonts to Josh Hadley at Adobe yesterday, i.e. Aktiv Grotesk VF)

1. Select variable font from the menu (e.g. Aktiv Grotesk VF)
    2. Select world-ready composer
    3. Select a couple different instances from the drop-down or select an instance via the slider (e.g. Black, Bold, Regular, Light) and set some text in each
    4. Print the page from InDesign on a PostScript printer

See the attached image. What should happen is that the repeating blocks of text should be set in the different instances you selected in step 3. They are replaced by a random font instead, only the first instance…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Printing error: The Adobe print engine has failed to output your data due to an unknown problem?

I cannot print or output PDF file. When printing I get this error........ Printing error: The Adobe print engine has failed to output your data due to an unknown problem?

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Custom Crop Mark - .mrk file InDesign CC 2018,2019 dosn't work

Custom Crop Marks - I used CS3, CS6, CC 2017 and my file with custom crop marks was worked. Now in CC 2018 and CC 2019 isn't. I see PAGEMARKS DEFINITION FILE ERROR
    Why?

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. linked files ignored upon packaging

1. Adobe InDesign Version 13.1 x64 on Windows
    2. images are linked within the document and shown as such. When I package the document, it shows "0 links found" and no linked files are packaged
    3. This is the first time I've packaged a document since upgrading to INDD 2018. Have never had it ignore links before
    4. No linked files are packaged
    5. It sees the links... but not in the "package" menu
    5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Lagging/text doubling when changing paragraph styles

When changing paragraph styles the remaining text moves, but kind of doesn't refresh without me clicking away from the frame with the cursor or zooming in. What happens is I get double text which is confusing. Crashing is happening too at this point.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base