Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Problem with changing the cursor to text

Hello. After running the latest version of InDesign CC 2019 v. 14.0, I have a problem with changing the cursor to text. It takes about 50 seconds. This happens each time you launch InDesign.

139 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

127 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
      This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
      If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
      Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
      InDesign Team

• InDesign CC2019 - blank control panel

Just installed InDesign CC2019. Bizarrely the control panel containing the adjustment controls with character and paragraph setting is there but empty. I tried turning off and on, and resetting the workspace but to no avail. Resetting preferences on start up has worked but feel this could happen again.

62 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

46 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
        InDesign Team

• 60 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

49 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Regards,
          InDesign Team

• In InDesign CC 2019 slow Reaction Time and lag on clicking from one object to another.

Using InDesign CC 14.0 on Windows 10. I have an magazine layout with text and picture boxes, of course. When clicking from one box to another, there is a long delay, a temporary freeze. Eventually (20-30 seconds) it awakens and I can move on. But it's happening more frequently, even after a reboot.

Is this an issue of my computer talking to Adobe servers?

Nothing to screen shot, there is no message.

44 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Regards,
            InDesign Team

• Typekit (or Adobe Fonts) or Fonts menu collapses while browsing through the list of fonts.

I am absolutely loving the new InDesign features. But, whilst testing the new Typekit/Adobe Fonts browsing window in InDesign I came across this bug / crash. Instead of allowing me to freely roam the vast selection of fantastic fonts, the window just decides to close and defaults to one of the already synced fonts.

InDesign version: 14.0, included a screencap.

30 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Filetype is the same as CC 2018

InDesign CC 2019 (14.0.0.130) for Mac
              Filetype is the same as CC 2018. Each version has been given a unique Filetype. The only exception is v6.0.0–6.0.3 (CS4), but it was fixed as a bug in 6.0.4. I also expect it to be fixed as a bug of 14.0.0 as well.

37 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This has been done to preclude any new entries for CFBundleTypeOSTypes. The previous release, CC2018 had CFBundleTypeOSType as IDdD but for the new release, we have not created the new OSType entry as IDdE rather kept the previos entry intact.

Apple had deprecated any entries of the form of CFBundleType from 10.5 and now recommends using a UTType(Uniform Type Identifier) entry instead of creating CFBundleType entries. We might choose creating UTTypes in the future. However, for now we have stopped creating separate CFBundleTypes for the new releases.
                It would helpful to know from you as to how you use these entries in your workflows so that we can suggest you an alternative.

• InDesign 14.0. freezes after opening

After opening InDesign 14.0 I can open project. But as soon a leave first running screen with InDesign, work on 2nd Screen or even just opening explorer or browse in the internet, InDesign 14.0 is freezing. I cannot even close it. I have to restart the system. In fact I cannot work with it. I have to run 13.1 (2018) to work with ID.
                I am working with Desktop PC and Win10

22 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Regards,
                  InDesign Team

• PDF Export

InDesign CC2019 / PDF Export Print (Druck)
                  It is no longer possible to export correctly to PDF x3 or x4; and it is no longer possible to change the export settings of colour profiles (for example to FOGRA 39 or ISO Coated etc…)

16 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

An update (14.0.1) is now available for InDesign CC 2019. The update contains the fix for this issue.

Please install this update via the Creative Cloud application.

Adobe InDesign team

• InDesign 2019 Fails to open properly and freezes.

I recently updated to InDesign 2019 and had no problem using it last week.
                    Today it is not opening properly, taking around 10 minutes to open a file, then freezes the second I try to do anything in a text box.

It has occurred with every file I've tried, multiple times.
                    I have also tried ending all InDesign processes and restarting my computer.

Not sure if anyone else has come across this issue?

InDesign CC 2019: v 14.0
                    Windows 10: v 1803

19 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Regards,
                      InDesign Team

• [Limited Undo] InDesign CC 2019 (v14.0) strg+z / cmd+z doesn't work properly

With the new Version the option to go back some steps seems to be cut at some point. I have been working on a couple of files now and going steps back with strg+z works for 2-3 steps. Somehow random but definitely not the way it used to work.

16 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Unable to package a file to a server after upgrading to Mojave.

Dear Adobe,
                        Yesterday we upgraded to 10.14 Mojave and I am not able to package files from windows server. Indesign freezes every time.
                        I can make packeges from my MAC or from external hard drives. The network is working correctly. On High Sierrea everything worked properly.

Indesign CC 2018: 13.0
                        Mac: 10.14

24 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for reporting the issue to us. We need some more information from you to narrow down the problem.

1. Is this issue reproducible with id 13.1 as well? If you are on id 13.0, please upgrade to Id 13.1.

2. Does the issue happen when the document is present on Mac machine but the packaged folder is saved on a network?

3. Does the issue happen when the document is on a network location and the package folder is made on the network location?

4. Is the issue consistently reproducible?

5. What kind of server are you using? Is it shared folder on a Windows machine? Or a dedicated storage hosted on a Windows server?

• Color Settings Not Sticking

Upon updating to InDesign 2019 (14.0) my color settings are no longer retained.

As soon as I quit the app and restart the color settings go back to "Emulate Adobe InDesign 2.0 CMS Off"

I have reinstalled the app.
                          I have wiped all settings.
                          I have cleared the Adobe Color Cache folder.

15 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Regards,
                            InDesign Team

• serial number changed on cc2019

User is not required to fill-in a serial number on CC apps, but nevertheless the numbers still exist and are used by 3rd party script creators to identify the user and license the script.
                            this SN was kept the same on all CC versions but now it was changed. this means I need to repurchase my scripts licenses.
                            the 3rd party programmer can't use just username becuase there may be more than one indesign license under one username.
                            suggested solution: just keep the SN as it was on CC2018 and don'r make us pay for nothing

20 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • InDesign slow opening, saving, exporting files

InDesign taking up to 5 minutes to open a file. The file is a one-page document. Two minutes of nothing, then 2 minutes of a blue status bar, then another minute watching the tiny status bar on the application icon in the doc. Once the file is "open" it isn't visible until I toggle back and forth between InDesign and another application. Saving, even after changing only one text character, takes 55 seconds. Exporting a 30 page document to PDF took 20 minutes.

22 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Incopy 2019 cannot open icap file created by ID 2019

.icap files created with ID 2019 cannot be opened with IC 2019 with error message „An error occured while opening the file.“ Tested on Mac OS X 10.12.6.

8 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Text margins don't change when master pages are applied

Version: InDesign CC2019
                                  Steps to reproduce: Apply a new Master page, with different margins, to a document page with text frame
                                  Expected result: Text frame should resize to fit the new margins of the master page (as before with Layout Adjustment enabled)
                                  Actual result: Page margins change but text frame stays the same. Useless! I have to manually adjust the text block to fit the new margins.

I work in book publishing. When laying out a book, it's often necessary to make changes to the margins of certain pages, either to accommodate the dropped opening of a chapter, or to…

6 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • InDesign CC 2019 GPU Performance on Mac

InDesign CC 2019 14.0
                                    macOS Mojave 10.14
                                    Mac Pro 5.1 (mid 2012)
                                    SAPPHIRE Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB GDDR5

Photoshop CC GPU Performance - ok
                                    Illustrator CC GPU Performance - ok
                                    InDesign CC... GPU incompatible???
                                    In addition, there are icon discolorations (only InDesign). Sometimes this effect occurs, sometimes not. The color of discoloration can be different.

9 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Clicking document-installed font from font list gives error to "activate font" and doesn't change font.

InDesign 14.0 on Windows 10 x64

I just upgraded to InDesign 14.0, and there appears to be a bug when clicking a document-installed font from the font list. The font list gives an error message to "Click 'Activate' button to activate fonts" and the text frame keeps the existing font, instead of changing to the new font.

Expected result:
                                      The expected result would be the same behavior as InDesign 13.1, where you could click a document-installed font from the font list, and the text frame would update to the newly selected font.

Actual result:
                                      In InDesign 14.0, clicking a document-installed…

12 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Regards,
                                        InDesign Team

• Type Tool Deselects Itself

InDesign 14.0

When selecting the Type Tool by using the keyboard shortcut (T), it briefly activates, then deactivates itself and the previous tool selected is made active again. I am unable to use the type tool in the brief period of time it is made active. I can select it successfully by clicking on the icon on the sidebar.

11 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • 2019 workspace not sticking

upon opening a new document in Indesign 2019, workspace needs to be reset every time to return to preferred working environment.

11 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 70 71
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base