Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

185 results found

1. Corrupt/pixelated cursor Issue in InDesign on MacOS High Sierra

In InDesign is a Problem with the Cursor on iOS Hight Sierra Beta Version 10.13 (17A315i). I Attached a short Video file. It is better as the describe when you what I means. Thank you.

321 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

240 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Distorted Text and Graphics in high sierra

When opening a previously created file, I noticed small visual artifacts in the rendering of vector graphics in the file. As I zoomed in to inspect it, the artifacts began jumping all over the place, and as I zoomed in further, text on the page began presenting the same behavior.

Using InDesign 2017.1, Build 12.1.0.56 on a 2016 Macbook Pro (2.9 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM), running macOS High Sierra 10.13.

215 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  Sumit Garg responded

This is a macOS10.13 issue, specific for some Intel GPU cards. Apple has fixed(partially) this issue inside macOS10.13.4 released build.

Following are the workaround for resolving this issue.
    1) Update your mac machine to latest macOS10.13.4. Here, Apple has fixed this issue to some extent. You will face very less number of rendering issues.
    2) Disable GPU preview and set display performance as typical.

Once you have updated to macOS10.13.4 .You might still face some rendering issues. Since, Apple has not fixed this issue completely.
    Please switch off GPU rendering for these cases and report a separate post for tracking.

3. AdobeFnt.lst automatically reappears after deleting

InDesign version: 15.0.2

Suddenly (after the latest March 2020 InDesign update?) the AdobeFont.lst file created with InDesign packages automatically shows up with folder structure after deleting a package. This is really aggravating for file management. It's as if my team can't fully delete InDesign packages. This is happening with multiple InDesign files on multiple machines.

148 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  amaarora responded

As confirmed by multiple users, this issue is fixed in latest version of InDesign.

Thanks for your feedback.

-InDesign Team

4. [Performance] Footnote disappears

A footnote disappeared without reason then appeared back when I changed something in the page layout. This is a very important bug because InDesign didn't display any kind of warning about this problem: no red indicator of missing text or overfull text block. I noticed it by chance. Please look at the screen captures to understand it: the number 2 footnote is missing whereas the footnote number is present in the text. In the other screen capture, the problem has been solved.

131 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  amaarora responded

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign – version 16.1

Please update to this version to get the fix. To prevent problem on existing documents and see the footnotes again, you will have to force recompose the stories.
    To force recompose stories, you can use the shortcut Command-Option-/ (slash) on Mac or Ctrl-Alt-slash on Windows

-InDesign Team

5. In InDesign CC 2019 slow Reaction Time on clicking from one object to another.

Using InDesign CC 14.0 on Windows 10. I have an magazine layout with text and picture boxes, of course. When clicking from one box to another, there is a long delay, a temporary freeze. Eventually (20-30 seconds) it awakens and I can move on. But it's happening more frequently, even after a reboot.

Is this an issue of my computer talking to Adobe servers?

Nothing to screen shot, there is no message.

110 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Following up on the comments stating that the issue is yet not fixed, we did our investigation and found that, the issues being called out in the comment section, though maybe relevant but are different than the one for which this thread was originally created.

This particular thread caters to a very specific case which has been fixed in the last update of InDesign.

If you continue to face performance related issues with InDesign, we sincerely request you to create a separate thread so that we can categorize the performance related issues and address them completely.
    In addition to track the performance issues effectively, it will also enable us to reach out to you in a organised manner when we investigate into each category of performance issues.

We are extremely sorry for the troubles you are facing with InDesign and we are determined to resolve them as efficiently…

6. ScriptUI: Opening Dialog while dialog is open breaks InDesign

I'm running InDesign 14.0.2 on a macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

In a script i created I have a Dialog. It has a button that opens another dialog.

Before my last indesign-update (CC 14.0.2) the second dialog would open and when i closed it, i could use the previous dialog window again.

Now with the Update when I open the second dialog and close it again, i cant use (or close) the previous dialog and it blocks me from using InDesign. I can move the dialogwindow around but thats it so i have to restart indesign.

I tested this on two…

109 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

7. BUG Keypress doesn´t respond

With updating to 13.1 March 2018 Update: When you type to a text frame you have to do it twice before the character appears in the frame. I have this problem on two Windows 10 machines...

101 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support all this while. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

8. Using eyedropper to copy text attributes crashes InDesign CC 2018

Using the eyedropper tool to copy text attributes crashes InDesign every time.

90 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix of the issue is now available in InDesign’s latest November’17 update.
    Please upgrade to the latest version InDesign CC 13.0.1 for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

9. Type tool still deselects itself InDD 15.0.1

The bug has been already reported, it's been claimed to be fixed in 14.0.1, but actually still persists and never was corrected.

Typing "T" just selects the type tool very briefly, then changes back to the previous tool. Clicking inside a text frame has the same result, even if you get to select some part of the text, it just changes back tot he previous tool in most of the cases. The only way to get it work, is to select the tool in the sidebar, however even there it takes several seconds to become active.

Using InDD 15.0.1 on…

89 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix of the issue is now available in the latest InDesign 2022(v17.0.0.96). We recommend you upgrade to the latest version for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to the Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Adobe InDesign Team

10. 74 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Indesign 2021 (16.0) IDLK file do not lock

It is currently possible that two users are able to open the same Indesign file. I am working on a network volume via VPN and it was possible for my colleague to open the same file i was working with. The *.idlk file was generated but it seems that it would not be recognized from the other Indesign my colleague was using.

I tried to reproduce this issuue with Indesign 2020 and all worked fine as expected.

This is an enormous issue for collaboration with other colleagues at the same projects.

74 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

51 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix of the issue is now available in the latest InDesign 2022(v17.0.0.96). We recommend you upgrade to the latest version for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to the Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Adobe InDesign Team

12. 70 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

13. InDesign CC 2018/High Sierra - Cannot package files

Since updating to High Sierra I am not able to package files. The error message is simply "Unable to package the document. InDesign cannot access '(file name'.indd).

I am using InDesign CC 13.0.1 on macOS High Sierra 10.13.1

Don't know if this is of any use or not, but also if I try using my bulk packaging script, the error I get is "undefined is not an object (line 186)

65 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,
    The issue has been fixed with Apple’s MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4 Beta (17E139).

You can try out the fix by updating your machine to the beta update from Apple.
    Let us know if the issue is fixed for you after aforementioned High Sierra beta update.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

14. [Limited Undo] InDesign CC 2019 (v14.0) strg+z / cmd+z doesn't work properly

With the new Version the option to go back some steps seems to be cut at some point. I have been working on a couple of files now and going steps back with strg+z works for 2-3 steps. Somehow random but definitely not the way it used to work.

64 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Edit:
    Hello All,
    We acknowledge those comments where some of us have mentioned that the issue is still not fixed; we are already working on it.
    Please note that, in the earlier release we had fixed few cases which were leading to the issue.
    There are still few scenarios which are yet to be investigated and fixed.
    Unfortunately, this particular thread has become too generic.
    We request you to provide your comments in below provided new thread. Please do mention your observation while submitting the comment. It will help us in our ongoing investigation.

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/38991835-undo-not-working-properly-in-indd-2020

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu…

15. 61 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while. The fix of the issue is now part of InDesign’s latest update, Id 13.1

Update your InDesign through Creative Cloud app to Id 13.1

Thanks,
    Abhinav

16. Typekit (or Adobe Fonts) or Fonts menu collapses while browsing through the list of fonts.

I am absolutely loving the new InDesign features. But, whilst testing the new Typekit/Adobe Fonts browsing window in InDesign I came across this bug / crash. Instead of allowing me to freely roam the vast selection of fantastic fonts, the window just decides to close and defaults to one of the already synced fonts.

InDesign version: 14.0, included a screencap.

58 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Edit: We reached to the users who have commented the issue still persists to identify the gap. It was discovered that their issue is different from what is being discussed on this thread. The issue pertaining to this thread is fixed. Hence, we are closing the thread.

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

17. Fehlercode 4/Errorcode 4 for not damaged documents

1. Adobe Indesin CC 13.01 After the last Update of Indesign time by time suddenly Indesign report a damaged file if you try to open any InDesign-Document.

Everytime after restarting the Mac everything is good and I'm fortunally able to open all o these documents.

Sometimes restarting Indesign helps, but not always.

The last 3 days it happens much to often und it nervs.

56 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. InDesign 2021 keeps crashing

InDesign has crashed about 5 times since updating the other day. My team is also having the same problem. Mac and PC.

55 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Turning on [Remove Blank Lines For Empty Fields] in Data Merge causes anomalies in the preview display

InDesign 2022 v17.3

Procedure
    1. Download and extract DataMerge-sample.zip.
    2. Open DataMerge-sample-Id2022.indd in InDesign v17.3.
    3. Make sure Remove Blank Lines For Empty Fields in the Content Placement Options in Data Merge panel is ON.
    4. Click Preview at the bottom of the Data Merge panel, or choose Preview from the Data Merge panel menu.
    5. Click on the navigation buttons in the preview to cycle through the data in the record.

Expected Results
    Only the content changes. Each line retains its formatting.

Actual Results
    If the content changes, the formatting of some lines will also change.

DataMerge-sample.zip
    https://app.box.com/s/r2bovwm8xy2qrbj2ldlrepme48atnh92

Japanese

44 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. InDesign CC 2019, GPU enablement on Mac

InDesign CC 2019 14.0
    macOS Mojave 10.14
    Mac Pro 5.1 (mid 2012)
    SAPPHIRE Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB GDDR5

Photoshop CC GPU Performance - ok
    Illustrator CC GPU Performance - ok
    InDesign CC... GPU incompatible???
    In addition, there are icon discolorations (only InDesign). Sometimes this effect occurs, sometimes not. The color of discoloration can be different.

44 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Based on our investigation we have categorized the issue that are being reported on this thread into three types:

1. Users having compatible GPU and monitor configuration but still not able to use GPU rendering.

2. Users having Incompatible GPU and monitor configuration. Please refer following link that have all the details system requirement for GPU rendering.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/using/gpu_performance.html

3. MacPro, Mac mini OR “working on MacBooks with screen down” and using Hidpi monitors with display scale factor one.
    This has been identified as bug and we have fixed it in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3
    Please update your InDesign to the latest version to try out the fix

Note:
    Since , this thread is mainly being tracked only for enable-ment of GPU functionality
    Please report drawing related issue via other reported threads or new threads.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base