Bug details

Mouse-click in menus becomes disabled

InDesign 12.1.0.56; macOS Sierra 10.12.5; Magic Mouse

The issue varies with any file. I have mostly seen this occur when in the Find/Change window, or when I try and select a font. My mouse will not be able to click (select) anything in the drop down menus. I am able to select with my keyboard by using the arrows and "return" key. To get the mouse to click (select) an option from a drop down menu, I must first restart InDesign and then open the same file.

72 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

John Stewart shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

93 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not fixed, I am having this problem now even tho I just updated everything

• Bastian S. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have this problem with the "save" button a lot when trying to save documents in the latest version - i have to cancle and re open the save / export window and try again. - i just cant press it or nothing happens. (mostly when i changed the file name)

• DavPah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This still happens for me sometimes, only in the Adobe PDF preset choice when exporting to PDF. I have to press enter while hovering the mouse over the desired selection.

A restart of InDesign makes it go away.

• oliver blaum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i cannot change some drop downs in indesign. e.g. transparency pop up.
    if i change the drop down of mode from normal to e.g. darken, after releasing it changes always back to normal.

same goes for new hyperlink popup -> dropdown "link to"

how to fix this? restarting or new document did not helped.

indesign 13.1.0.76
    on macos 10.13.4 (latest) and 10.13.2

• Bruno Mancini commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My solution (maybe temporary, but functional) :

- Make sure that ID is updated to last version (13.1).
    - In Finder Go menu choose "Go to folder" (Cmd-Shift-G) and type "/Users/<your home folder>/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/" (without quotes)
    - Trash "Version 13.0" Folder

If it's not working, uninstall & reinstall ID after having trashed the cache folder.

Et voilà !

ID: 13.1.0.76
    Mac OS: 10.11.6
    Mac Pro (Early 2008)

Same here IDCS6 with iMac 2009... I can't change font size with my mouse. have to do it manually.

• Tracey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my case Windows did an automatic update and now I have three problems: 1) the mouse click isn't always recognized; 2) the pop-up or drop-down menus are blank and sometimes very tiny or narrow (not sure they're actually blank, but the menu items can't be seen); and 3) text for some functions has become very tiny. I've tried restarting multiple times with no change. I can't do anything to try to fix it because my menus aren't visible and so I can't get into Control Panel or Settings, when I try to type in the search box to get to either place no text appears.

• Annie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me, it was Windows Aero theme interfering. Switched to Windows Basic theme, restarted Indesign and the problem was gone.

• Michael Bednarek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue here. Very random and difficult to identify the reason why this occurs. I see it happen when accessing font drop-down as well as all drop-downs in the Export Adobe pdf dialog box.

You can obviously enter the drop-down and use the arrow keys - annoying. Relaunching the app temporarily resolves the issue.

ID: 13.1
    MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
    2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Interesting in that the problem does not exist on an older machine w/ specs below.

ID: 13.0.1
    MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
    2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Absolutely unacceptable considering the hefty monthly subscription fee.

• Kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am seeing this same problem. I have not upgraded to High Sierra and do not encounter the problem in ID CS2017, only in 2018.

• Misty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too am suddenly having an issue with my mouse not working in InDesign. I have been designing all week with no issues, but suddenly I cannot control anything with my mouse. Text selected will move with arrow keys but not the mouse. InDesign CC 2018. Just started today.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem here! Also experiencing it sporadically. In my case, it seems to happen in specific pop-up dialog boxes as opposed to options in fixed option menus. Example : I can change the font size via the tool bar in the header - but can not change the page Numbergin styles in the Numbering and Section options... Issue comes and goes, please help us fix it!

The drop down menu doesn't allow you to change between cmyk and rgb when exporting a jpeg file, sometimes the program get back to work after restarting, sometimes not.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
    Indesign current version

• Mafalda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

Any news on this?
    I also have the same problem. All mouse-click menus are disabled. It seems that the 1st time you select a menu option it works but then it stops working all together. First ones to become disabled were find/change options, now I can´t even select a font. Nothing is working. I re-installed indesign but it stays the same. I working with Indesign cc 2018 and Os High Sierra 10.13.3. and I never had this issue with any previous versions of Indesign. Please help!

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base