Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. [Limited Undo] InDesign CC 2019 (v14.0) strg+z / cmd+z doesn't work properly

With the new Version the option to go back some steps seems to be cut at some point. I have been working on a couple of files now and going steps back with strg+z works for 2-3 steps. Somehow random but definitely not the way it used to work.

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

43 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Text margins don't change when master pages are applied

Version: InDesign CC2019
    Steps to reproduce: Apply a new Master page, with different margins, to a document page with text frame
    Expected result: Text frame should resize to fit the new margins of the master page (as before with Layout Adjustment enabled)
    Actual result: Page margins change but text frame stays the same. Useless! I have to manually adjust the text block to fit the new margins.

I work in book publishing. When laying out a book, it's often necessary to make changes to the margins of certain pages, either to accommodate the dropped opening of a chapter, or to…

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Rounded corners aren't perfectly rounded

Why aren't rounded corners perfectly rounded? I created a 100x100px square, rounded the corners to 50px which should give me a perfect circle except it doesn't.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Filetype is the same as CC 2018

InDesign CC 2019 (14.0.0.130) for Mac
    Filetype is the same as CC 2018. Each version has been given a unique Filetype. The only exception is v6.0.0–6.0.3 (CS4), but it was fixed as a bug in 6.0.4. I also expect it to be fixed as a bug of 14.0.0 as well.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This has been done to preclude any new entries for CFBundleTypeOSTypes. The previous release, CC2018 had CFBundleTypeOSType as IDdD but for the new release, we have not created the new OSType entry as IDdE rather kept the previos entry intact.

Apple had deprecated any entries of the form of CFBundleType from 10.5 and now recommends using a UTType(Uniform Type Identifier) entry instead of creating CFBundleType entries. We might choose creating UTTypes in the future. However, for now we have stopped creating separate CFBundleTypes for the new releases.
    It would helpful to know from you as to how you use these entries in your workflows so that we can suggest you an alternative.

5. Khmer script justification is broken

With the CC version, having World-Ready Composer enabled, Khmer script justification is still broken. I tried to use the text with and without ZWSP, and it's all the same. There was a thread talking about it https://forums.adobe.com/message/5030301 but seems no any new update.

The justification is also broken in Photoshop CC.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Spell check not working

I have installed the latest version of ID, and the spell check is not working. It does not detect misspelled words.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

35 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Imported PDF comments not accurate

1. ID 14 Mac
    2. Import PDF comments from file, including strikethroughs, replaced text, comments
    3. Some edits NOT SHOWN in ID file, though clearly present when PDF is viewed in Acrobat
    4. Faithful transfer of all edits to ID file
    (note non-transferred strikethrough of Highlights of Baltics in bottom quarter of screendump)

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  PDF Comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Publish Online URL links breaking website functionality

File Created in Indesign CC 2017

I have created a test interactive document with links to product DG012 on our company website.

https://indd.adobe.com/view/da74b2d3-46b2-40cf-99e2-8201ddc6248a

When the link is clicked from publish online it opens the page but seems to disable all scripts that run on the website. e.g. search field and add to cart no longer functions on that page.

The website itself functions correctly if you navigate to the link manually ( http://www.lockhart.co.uk/Table-Service-and-Buffet/Buffet-Display/Display-Stands/Rafters-F usion-1-2-Board~p~DG012 ).

Interestingly in safari the add to cart button functions but the search field is still disabled.

On closer inspection it seems to be an iframe…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  12 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 2019 workspace not sticking

upon opening a new document in Indesign 2019, workspace needs to be reset every time to return to preferred working environment.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. InDesign makes incorrect QR code words and we can't decode QR codes correctly.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Object->Make QR Code...
    2. Input strings "問題は日本語を正常に扱えるかどうか。".
    3. Result QR Code is incorrect.

Actual Result:
    Sometimes, we got the wrong code in Japanese locale.

Any Workarounds:
    Here is Japanese character strings "問題は日本語を正常に扱えるかどうか。".
    This was coded into the InDesign try and get "image1.png".
    Then, we try to decode it at ZXING decoder. Here is a decoded result (image2.png)

42 1e 59 58 fe 9a 18 ce 38 1a fe 69 7a 5e 69 ca
    ce 8a a9 ee 38 29 2e 6a da 3e 5b 8b 8e 38 1a be
    68 9b 1 8 0a ce 09…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add the Ability to turn off hover scrolling

Hover Scrolling lets you interact with the dropdown menus without ever having to click on them. Sounds cool, right?

Normally, this is not a problem, because you can easily see what has been changed because you've got an object selected. But when working with conditional text, the conditional text indicator visibility is a GLOBAL setting, and thus, hover scrolling over it can change your document, even with nothing selected. And if you're not on a page with conditional text. you'd never even know that your document got changed, until you send it to print!

This has been plaguing me for…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. ScriptUI: Opening Dialog while dialog is open breaks InDesign

I'm running InDesign 14.0.2 on a macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

In a script i created I have a Dialog. It has a button that opens another dialog.

Before my last indesign-update (CC 14.0.2) the second dialog would open and when i closed it, i could use the previous dialog window again.

Now with the Update when I open the second dialog and close it again, i cant use (or close) the previous dialog and it blocks me from using InDesign. I can move the dialogwindow around but thats it so i have to restart indesign.

I tested this on two…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Indesign CC 2019 14.0.1 xmp-information for images cannot be copied

1: Indesign 14.0.1
    2: open any link details for any placed image/XMP-information
    3: I want to copy text from this window to clipboard (like credit-information). This was possible in Indesign 2015.
    4: it is not possible to copy text.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Can't create shortcut for styles on mac

In the Adobe docs it says "If your keyboard does not have a Num Lock key, you cannot add keyboard shortcuts to styles." I can't believe that Adobe is perfectly content with just excluding large portions of its Mac user base, those of us who are exclusively using a Mac laptop for work (which does not have a keyboard with a numeric pad or the Num Lock Key), from being able to create and therefore take advantage of time-saving shortcuts for character styles. I mean, come on. Why is it again that I am paying $50/month for Adobe CC?

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  13 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Defining a Drop Cap

If you define a Drop Cap in a paragraph style WITH a character style and also define a nested style, if there is a single letter word starting the paragraph, the nested style does not recognize it and will apply the nested style to an additional word beyond the deliminator. For example, a nested style through 3 words will apply to the first 4 if the paragraph starts with "I[space]" or "A[space]". It does not do this if [none] is chosen from the character style dropdown in Drop Caps, but only if one is chosen (even when nothing is defined…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. SVG Font Designation Not Shown in Find Font

If a font is an SVG font, InDesign shows the square box "SVG" designation in the font dropdown. However, if you view the font info under Find Font (Type>Find Font), the font type does not show as SVG. There is no way to determine if an SVG font was used in the file other than to view in the font dropdown. That is a problem as SVG fonts are not supported in PDF yet and will not be caught by preflight. Can the SVG designation be added to the Find Font info screen?

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. InDesign crashes on launch with Faulty module "PMRuntime" unless launched as Administrator or Creative Cloud Application

Issue: InDesign CC will not open from the Start Menu unless "Run as administrator" is selected. This is not an option for standard users.

It will open OK from the Creative Cloud Desktop App.

Event viewer log is generated showing the following:
    Faulting application name: InDesign.exe, version 13.1.0.76
    Faulting module name: PMRuntime.dll, version 5.0.0.191

Version: InDesign CC 2018, 13.1.076
    Also occurs with version 12.1.0.56
    Windows OS: Windows 10, version 1803 (Build 17134.165)

Select InDesign CC from the start menu. The application does not open and no messages appear. Check Event Viewer > Application to see the error.

There…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. World-Ready composer breaks hyperlinks for Publish Online

When the WR composer is applied to text, it breaks hyperlinks when the document is published via Publish Online. The hyperlinks work fine when the document is sent to PDF. The hyperlinks work fine when the WR composer is changed to the Adobe Paragraph Composer.
    This is to correct the title of this bug report, please reference it: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/33786565-publish-online-breaks-hyperlinks

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  ansjain responded

World-Ready composer is not well supported in Fixed Layout EPUBs and Published documents from InDesign.

I would suggest everyone to vote for the issue on UserVoice if it impacts you to make it highly voted request on UserVoice.

Thanks
    -Anshul

19. Can't delete InDesign color swatch

Documents inherit a swatch from a picked-up file and the swatch can not be deleted.

1) This problem has existed for us since at least InDesign CS4 and persists through the current CC 2018 build (13.1).

2) In the attached file, "Select All Unused" in the Swatches panel. There is no content at all in the file. All objects have been deleted, as have all text and object styles. Try to delete the unused process color swatch, "C=80 M=76 Y=70 K=73."

3) We expect the unused swatch to be deleted.

4) Trash can icon in Swatches panel is grayed out…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Drag-duplicating an object with Alt key pressed does not duplicate, if moving on a separate page

If I try to duplicate an object to another page, across the pasteboard border, by holding the Alt key and dragging with mouse, the object only moves there. If I want to duplicate an object to another page, I have to first duplicate it on the same page and then move it to another page.

However, as that is unintuitive, I still constantly try to duplicate an object across the page border, leading me to undo back after I find out the object didn't actually duplicate, but instead I have moved the original object (and oftentimes edited it a lot…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting this bug. This behavior is present for a long time now.

However, pressing alt key first and then dragging the frame across spreads does resolve the issue for me.
    Can you please check the same?

-Aman

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base