Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Color Settings Not Sticking

Upon updating to InDesign 2019 (14.0) my color settings are no longer retained.

As soon as I quit the app and restart the color settings go back to "Emulate Adobe InDesign 2.0 CMS Off"

I have reinstalled the app.
    I have wiped all settings.
    I have cleared the Adobe Color Cache folder.

15 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

14 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
      This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
      If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
      Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
      InDesign Team

• Indesign CC 2019 14.0.1 xmp-information for images cannot be copied

1: Indesign 14.0.1
      2: open any link details for any placed image/XMP-information
      3: I want to copy text from this window to clipboard (like credit-information). This was possible in Indesign 2015.
      4: it is not possible to copy text.

11 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Cannot "place" MathType eps file correctly into InDesign - InvalidFont error

InDesign CC 13.1

Steps to Reproduce

1.In a ID document, use File > Place
        2.Select the attached eps file, which is an eps file created by MathType
        3.Place the eps file

Expected Result: The eps to place the image correctly

Actual Result: Before the eps is placed, the error is seen: "InvalidFont error occurred creating the screen display for the imported EPS. The EPS will draw as a gray box. The actual EPS may not print and will not export as PDF. Do you still want to place this file? Yes/No?

Clicking Yes results in only a gray box.

*Cannot…

4 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Multi-state objects and animated elements not working on State 1

InDesign CC 2019 14.0:

I have a 4 state multi-state object. Each state has a full-screen image with a text title and description which animates in (Fly-in from top) for each state upon load. Left/Right buttons control the interactivity.

However, when I add an animation to the text title/description in State-1 it causes the full-screen image to not load and the test/description text doesn't appear either. (Tested in Indesign in the EPUB Interactivity Preview panel and on iPad/iBooks)

When testing it in the EPUB Interactivity Preview panel and I go to State-2 using the buttons and then return to State-1…

3 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Proportional Scaling Using Shift Button Not Working

In the 2017.1 release of InDesign, the ability to hold Shift and scale objects proportionally seems to have disappeared. I know for me this is a major functionality problem that is increasing the time I have to spend on current projects. I've checked support forums and others are encountering this problem, but I haven't yet seen a solution.

74 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

213 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while; we really appreciate your support!

Our investigation suggests that one of common reasons for the problem is that certain software (mostly antivirus and other security applications) and browser extensions happen to enable “Secure Keyboard Entry” on Mac machines due to which some keys such as Shift key in this case do not perform the desired action in InDesign.

For now I request you to follow the below provided KB doc for the quick workaround of the problem.
              https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/features-do-not-work-keyboard-keys-mac.html

In the comments section many of the users have confirmed that disabling Webroot SecureAnywhere (a security app) has resolved the issue for them. Please note that, the problem may not be related to a particular software; there could be a different application or antivirus which might be causing the problem by enabling Secure Keyboard Entry on Mac.

Regards,
              Abhinav Kaushik
              InDesign Team

• Preserve Image Dimensions when Relinking and "Auto-fit" options do not seem to work.

I am using Indesign 14.0

When I relink files, Indesign changes the scale and placement of images automatically, regardless of whether the preserve image dimensions option in the file handling box is checked or unchecked, and whether the "auto-fit" button in the tool menu is checked or uncheked.

Preferences > File Handling > "Preserve Image Dimensions when Relinking"

4 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Shape sizing bug that has been around since at least CS6 is STILL not fixed in CC2019!!

1) Version of Adobe InDesign...

This bug has plagued InDesign from at least CS 6.2 all the way to the current CC2019 version. I filed a bug report in 2017, and @Abhinav Kaushik claimed the bug was solved, but this was straight-up NOT TRUE. The bug persists to the present software.

2) Follow these steps to replicate the bug:

Create a shape, let's say a circle, and then copy this circle and paste it in a separate layer directly over the top of the first. To better see the effects of the bug, make the fill of the top circle…

7 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Cannot place EPS image in empty box

InDesign 14.0.1.209
                  Mac OSX 10.14.3

Placing an EPS file generated from "Barcode" (by AppsForLife) does not work properly if the target box is empty. If box already contains a graphic, the file will place properly via "Place" or drag+drop.

On a new image box or box where the existing image has been deleted, the following occurs (via Place or drag+drop):

Image will seem to appear in the target box. Once mouse button is released, the imported image is no longer in the box and the pointer changes to a "placement selector" prompting to place the image in a new box.

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Multi-state objects and animated elements not working on State 1

InDesign CC 2019 14.0:

I have a 4 state multi-state object. Each state has a full-screen image with a text title and description which animates in (Fly-in from top) for each state upon load. Left/Right buttons control the interactivity.

However, when I add an animation to the text title/description in State-1 it causes the full-screen image to not load and the test/description text doesn't appear either. (Tested in Indesign in the EPUB Interactivity Preview panel and on iPad/iBooks)

When testing it in the EPUB Interactivity Preview panel and I go to State-2 using the buttons and then return to State-1…

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• can't place image on rotated page

When placing an image on to a rotated page the image is placed outside the work area! Does not mater if I choose place from the File meny or drag and drop from the desktop. No mater where I place it on my page it gets sent way out with no chance of selecting it. InDesign CC 2019 (14.0)

2 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • CC Libraries search slow to input typed letters

With the CC Libraries panel open, clicking inside the search area at the top and typing, often the second letter that is typed is not included.

For example, RIFT would end up being RFT. When highlighting the word and typing again, it is fine.

It seems intermittent and isn't a stuck keyboard key as it works perfectly typing in a text frame.

It could possibly be limited to one or two certain characters such as "i" and "f" as those ones that consistently fail to be entered.

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• XMP file info dialog box (for linked images) no longer shows up

I clicked the flyout menu in the Links panel, and choose to display the XMP file info and the dialog box doesn't show up. It's like it is off screen somewhere, as all the menus are then grayed out. I can hit Escape a few times to get out of it. But sometimes InDesign totally locks up and I have to force quit.

2 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Cannot place EPS image in empty box

InDesign 14.0.1.209
                            Mac OSX 10.14.3
                            sample file is attached

Placing an EPS file generated from "Barcode" (by AppsForLife) does not work properly if the target box is empty. If box already contains a graphic, the file will place properly via "Place" or drag+drop.

On a new image box or box where the existing image has been deleted, the following occurs (via Place or drag+drop):

Image will seem to appear in the target box. Once mouse button is released, the imported image is no longer in the box and the pointer changes to a "placement selector" prompting to place the image…

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • 1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • How to clear round corner options

Recently I have set-up a corner options to drag rectangles with a specific round corner. Now I want to drag regular rectangles, with no round corners anymore. But when drag new rectangles they all have round corners.

Note that I have already set the corner option to 0 in the Corner options panel (Object menu). But nothing changes.
                                Can somebody help me ?

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Image Links

After an image is placed in a document (first selected as "Place" in Bridge") the image is then selected, using the label "Select" in Bridge. In the InDesign document the link will become brokenand needs to be relinked. If the marking of the image in Bridge is not done then the linking problem doesn't not occur.

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Assets renamed in web view of CC Libraries don't retain name when imported into document

I've been creating some CC Libraries with quite a few logo assets and have found it easier to do the renaming of the files in web view because it lets me copy/paste a file name, whereas the CC Libraries panel does not.

I've just come across the issue that even though the names appear to have synced when I view the files in the Libraries panel, when I drag/drop or right-click > Place a file into my actual document, the name disappears from the asset in the Links panel. It defaults to whatever it was when i created the asset…

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Object distribution disapeared from Advanced Settings

Even object distribution has been removed from the Advanced layout and can only be seen in Essentials or Essentials Classic. I updated InDesign 2019 on 02/02/2019 and this issue suddenly appeared.

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Can't import RAW fiels anymore

Usually I drag and drop from Lr to Id and it works well. From jpeg, dng, tiff, psd, raw files (CR2 Canon). But today it is not working.

Actual result below:

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• updating links

When updating links in InDesign CC 14.0 (an InDesign file linked to 4 instances) the update comes in too large for the frame. So you have to Fit Content Proportionally. This happens with PSD and AI files as well.

2 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base