Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

216 results found

1. I lost all Save, Save As, Undo functionality (everything is grayed out). To save my work, I have to export as an IDML .

Lost all Save, Save As, Undo functionality while working.
    To save my work, the only thing to do is to export as an IDML file. Force quitting to recover the file doesn't work. This has been happening to me since InDesign 5.5. I am currently using InDesign CC 2018. There are no particular steps, it happens at random. I can have several files open and it only happens to one file, or sometimes it's more than one file. It happens whether I'm working off of my Desktop or on our server.

127 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As part of the investigation into the cause of this issue, we personally reached out to many of you over email. We have so far heard from only some of you.

Of the responses we have received, the conclusion we’ve come to is:
    This issue was intermittent, happened once during the course of work but somehow got resolved and has not happened again. This issue can’t be reproduced now.

Over a period of time, this thread has not thrown any fresh clues on why this issue seems to occur randomly for some and then seems to resolve itself. So we’re closing this thread.

However, even though we’re closing this thread, if you again run into this issue any time on a consistent basis, please report it here on UserVoice (in a new thread) with supporting assets like:
    A) a test file,
    B) detailed steps to replicate the issue
    C) any…

2. InDesign is very slow

The latest version is virtually unusable. If I select an image or text box on a layout I get a spinning wheel for 10 - 15 seconds. If I try to move something - spinning wheel 10-15 seconds. Try to save a document - spinning wheel 10-15 seconds. Previous versions did not behave this way on this same computer. No other applications behave this way.

My Mac is a late 2012 model, 32Gb RAM, 2 SSD drives; one for the OS / Applications and one for the customer files. GeForce video card (came with the computer with 1Gb RAM.

I…

102 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    We had launched our investigation into the matter to get to the root cause of the problem. As the part of our investigation, we had reached out to many of you personally over email.
    We have concluded our investigation and have come up with few findings.

1. For many of the users the issue got fixed after updating InDesign to a newer version.
    2. For some, the issue got resolved after disabling a third-party application such as Suitecase fusion etc.
    3. For few, the issue was intermittent and is no longer reproducible.
    4. For majority of the users, the underlying cause of the performance issue was identified to be related to span columns, cross-references, third party plugin etc.

We have created separated threads for these issues and we are now working towards resolving them.

However, over the time this thread…

3. stalls intermittently, seconds to minutes of spinning beach ball or Application not responding

Stalls to a spinning beach ball intermittently during use. Add images in frames, move images or add text, what-ever, it suddenly just stalls and can take seconds to minutes before clearing. CS6, the CC2017 worked fine. Now CC2018 seems to have regressed in performance. I have to FORCE QUIT at times. MacOS Sierra 10.12.6

52 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

We had launched our investigation into the matter to get to the root cause of the problem. As the part of our investigation, we had reached out to many of you personally over email.

1. For many of the users the issue got fixed after updating InDesign to a newer version.
    2. For some, the issue got resolved after disabling a third-party application such as Suitecase fusion etc.
    3. For few, the issue was intermittent and is no longer reproducible.
    4. For majority of the users, the underlying cause of the performance issue was identified to be related to span columns, cross-references, third party plugin etc.

We have created separated threads for these issues and we are now working towards resolving them.

However, over the time this thread…

4. Filetype is the same as CC 2018

InDesign CC 2019 (14.0.0.130) for Mac
    Filetype is the same as CC 2018. Each version has been given a unique Filetype. The only exception is v6.0.0–6.0.3 (CS4), but it was fixed as a bug in 6.0.4. I also expect it to be fixed as a bug of 14.0.0 as well.

38 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This has been done to preclude any new entries for CFBundleTypeOSTypes. The previous release, CC2018 had CFBundleTypeOSType as IDdD but for the new release, we have not created the new OSType entry as IDdE rather kept the previos entry intact.

Apple had deprecated any entries of the form of CFBundleType from 10.5 and now recommends using a UTType(Uniform Type Identifier) entry instead of creating CFBundleType entries. We might choose creating UTTypes in the future. However, for now we have stopped creating separate CFBundleTypes for the new releases.
    It would helpful to know from you as to how you use these entries in your workflows so that we can suggest you an alternative.

You may reach out to abkaushi@adobe.com.

5. CC 2020 + Catalina makes computer really slow

On a brand new iMac (Catalina), opening CC 2020 apps makes everything lag. When Adobe apps are not open, computer performance is fine. According to the Adobe Support Community, this issue seems pretty widespread and Adobe's suggested fixes do not help.

34 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. InDesign 15.1.1 English dictionary missing plural word spellings

Since the update every plural word version is not in the dictionary. Simple, basic words like 'years' and 'days' now show as a spelling error. It was working fine before the latest update. Get it fixed - it's pointless having the spellchecker when so many basic words are missing!

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Return the use of "master pages" instead of "parent pages"

In the latest version Adobe decided that their job was to educate us to speak proper language, which is why the word "master pages" was replaced with "parent pages".
    We do not find any problem with the phrase "master pages" and believe that it is not Adobe's role to dictate policy according to progressive agendas.
    We demand to return to the previous concept of "master pages".
    The term "parent pages" is confusing and misleading, with all the documentation of the software on the web for 2 decades referring to master pages.

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

CLOSED  ·  7 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. stuck on type tool

I'm stuck on the Type tool. It won't let me select or change my tools at all. I've had to shut down and restart three times now. Whenever I get into the type tool, it stays and I can't get out or click anywhere else. Keyboard shortcuts do not work

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

Hello All,

2. For few, the issue was intermittent and is no longer reproducible.
    4. For majority of the users, the underlying cause of the performance issue was identified to be related to switching between tools, or other lags

Over the time this thread has become too generic to serve its purpose effectively. As per your feedback and the outcome of our investigation we have created multiple threads to address each root cause separately and effectively.

If you are…

9. InDesign crashes on launch with Faulty module "PMRuntime" unless launched as Administrator or Creative Cloud Application

Issue: InDesign CC will not open from the Start Menu unless "Run as administrator" is selected. This is not an option for standard users.

It will open OK from the Creative Cloud Desktop App.

Event viewer log is generated showing the following:
    Faulting application name: InDesign.exe, version 13.1.0.76
    Faulting module name: PMRuntime.dll, version 5.0.0.191

Version: InDesign CC 2018, 13.1.076
    Also occurs with version 12.1.0.56
    Windows OS: Windows 10, version 1803 (Build 17134.165)

Select InDesign CC from the start menu. The application does not open and no messages appear. Check Event Viewer > Application to see the error.

There…

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for patience while we were investigating into the root cause of the issue.
    During our investigation we identified that the issue manifests due to Symentec DLP antivirus software.

Please find below steps to whitelist the application:
    1. From the Enforce console select System > Agents >Application Monitoring.
    2. Select the application to white list. If it is not listed, click on “add application” and provide at least one of the required application binaries.(Refer to Symentec DLP_Console.png for reference)
    Note: DLP attempts to validate every field populated. We recommend using as few as fields as needed. If the whitelist seems to fail, try changing which required field is populated or removing one of the other fields.
    3. Uncheck all of the detection channels under the “Application Monitoring Configuration.”
    4. Click on save and verify the application in the list of monitoring activities is unchecked.
    5. After making…

10. 20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Find/change: Search popup—not all options show

Many times, I have gone to the Find/Change dialog box and not seen any options in the Search popup other than "All Documents or "Document."

"Story," "End of Story," etc. are missing.

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Hyperlink alt text is ignored in the latest version of Indesign

When creating or editing a hyperlink there is an option to add alt text. If you add alt text to your link and export an accessible PDF the alt text is ignored. I have a document with a ton of hyperlinks that all need alt text which we have added but don't come through because of this bug. Now I'm forced to add them again to the PDF.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

According to the ISO-32000, the Hyperlinks are NOT supposed to be populated into the Alt-Text field. They should be entered into the Contents Key (see attachment) instead.
    InDesign currently does place them in the correct place [see screenshot attached].
    While someone using Acrobat can also add them to the Alt-text field, this is technically less correct than entering into the Contents key but either will pass an Accessibility checker.

InDesign implemented this correctly based on the above information (provided by Accessibility experts, like Dax Castro, thanks Dax).

Closing this issue.

Adobe InDesign team

13. mouse lag in indesign when photoshop window open

Experiencing terrible mouse lag in indesign, the cursor flickers constantly and it feels like the mouse is swimming through mud. Nearly enough to make the program unusable. Reinstall fixes the problem temporarily but it returns within 30mins.

I have identified that this only happens when a photoshop window is open behind or next to the indesign window.

Indesign 13.1
    Photoshop 19.1.2
    Mac os sierra 10.12.6

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. InDesign Corrupt files

InDesign users all have to deal with corrupt files sometime during their career using this program. Usually meaning lost time and, more importantly, money. It would be nice if there was a way to have InDesign or another program scan and fix corrupt files (Adobe FirstAid). Dumping this corrupt file into this program would scan the file, find the cause of the error, and isolate it--almost like a virus scanner. Even if this means a page is lost or margins are messed up. It would be nice to at least get some work saved. For example, I throw in a…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

With the release of InDesign 2020(15.0.1), we have enhanced our recovery workflow which fixes multiple scenarios of document corruption.

If your file is still not getting repaired in InDesign CC2020, can you please share the document with Grp-idfile@adobe.com.

Thanks,
    Adobe InDesign team"

15. The Book panel does not remember its size and location

The Book panel is the only panel in InDesign that doesn't remember its size and position when you close and re-open it.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a new book (File > New > Book). The book panel is shown at the centre of the screen. No need to add documents to it.
    2. Move the panel to another location on the screen, and change its size in the usual way (click-drag on a corner of the panel).
    3. Save the book and close it.
    4. Re-open the book.

Expected behaviour: the book panel is opened at the same location and at the same…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Book panel is a special type of panel that is always associated with the .INDB file – unlike other panels where there is no actual association with a file on disk. The panel also shows the name of the Book file. If that INDB file is deleted, then the panel does not have any meaning.
    Only when the Book file is opened is the Book panel available. So it can’t be part of a workspace & thus its size and location also can’t be fixed as there could be multiple Book files that can be opened simultaneously.

InDesign team

16. Column Rules fail if a Table is the first item in a Text Frame

(Hmm ... tried to attach an INDD file and I'm told they're not allowed. Really? OK ... will try a ZIP file with the INDD inside. Nope ... ZIP won't work either. Uploading a PNG screenshot)

Column Rules fail if a Table is the first item in a Text Frame

Please see the attached sample file.

On page 1 and 2 you will find a variety of 2-column frames with column rule applied.

In each case, the column rule will fail BECAUSE the first item in the frame is a Table. But, on page 2 I've added one extra example…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. InDesign CC 2018 stalls to a spinning beachball right after opening for a brief time

On first opening InDesign in Sierra 10.2.4, after a couple of seconds of not taking any action, InDesign stalls briefly—about 3 to 4 seconds—not allowing any new action during that time. There is just a spinning beachball. I can postpone the beachball by immediately opening a menu; but after mousing away from the menu the beachball comes back. Not sure if it is trying to load something, but I currently don't have any extra extensions installed. I tried resetting preferences and removing all user install scripts, but it still did it. It's consistent every time I open the new version.…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue and allowing us some time to complete our investigation into the issue.
    As the part of our investigation, we had reached out to many of you personally over email and we could come up with the below mentioned findings.

2. For the majority of the users the issue was intermittent and is no longer reproducible.
    3. We also found few cases where the performance issue was identified to be related to span columns, cross-references, third party plugin etc.

Please note that we have created separate threads for these issues and we are now working towards resolving them.

However, over the time this thread has become too generic to serve its purpose effectively. As per your feedback and the outcome of our investigation we have created…

18. 11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

With the release of InDesign 2020(15.1.1), we have enhanced our recovery workflow which fixes multiple scenarios of document corruption.

If your file is still not getting repaired in InDesign CC2020, can you please share the document with Grp-idfile@adobe.com.

Adobe InDesign Team

19. Use Auto-Sizing and Text Wrap Frame on causes application crash

Environment: InDesign 2020 (15.0.2 Japanese version) + macOS (confirmed with 10.15.3 and 10.14.6)

• create and connect two text frames
    • set Auto-Sizing "Height and Width" on Text Frame Options
    • Insert text into two frames full
    • overlay graphic frames with Text Wrap settings ON
    • move the graphic frame appropriately (drawing is not normal at this point)
    • close documents with Command + W

During this operation, you will usually be asked to confirm the save, but suddenly InDesign will end and the application will crash.
    Also, if you try while overwriting with Command + S without Command + W, you may not be…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi
    Based on internal investigation and customer comments, we have concluded that the issue got fixed in InDesign 15.0.2 and that issue happens with InDesign 15.0.1 version only.

Please start a new thread in case you see the issue happen with InDesign 15.0.2

Thanks

20. Background Task Animation Error

Adobe InDesign CC 2018 13.1 (latest version)
    macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 (latest version)
    Expected result: When a Background Task is being run, the animated progress bar to rise and fall (ex. 0,1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1,0,1...)
    Actual result: When a Background Task is being run, the animated progress bar rises and falls incorrectly (ex. 0,1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,0,1,1,2...)

I notice this a lot since I am exporting multiple PDFs a day. As soon as each is done, I need to copy them to send via emails/upload to other servers/etc.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base