Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. "Select all unused" triggers "Small panel rows" in Styles palette

Version: 14.0.0.130

STR: Select "Select all unused" in Paragraph or Character Styles pallet

ER: Should select all styles not used in current document

AR: Triggers "Small panel rows" instead

1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Resolved For the User  ·  1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Saving + export filename

CC 14.0 x64 Win 10 not saving last pdf export filename, as in earlier versions.
      + Saving the documents takes more time than in previous versions.

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Content Aware Constantly Crashes

Windows 10 - i7 6700 with a Nvidia Quadro graphics card, and 16gb RAM.

Layout images in a spread and some dummy text.
        Select image and press teh Content aware fit button
        InDesign crashes

Expected result
        Image fits with no crashing

Actual result
        InDesign crashes everytime

It's a newly created document.

Images are stored on server - thought this was the problem - moved all images to desktop - still crashes.

Saved the file to IDML and opened that and resaved it.

Reset the preferences

Shut down/End Task of all non-essential programms, including anti-virus.

CC2019 build 14.0

File attached (embedded…

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • PDF comment import does not show regular sticky notes.

The new PDF comment feature imports the comments just fine, but regular sticky note comments are not displaying. They show up in the list, but do not point to where they are on the document.

2 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • pdf file name

I just downloaded the 14.0 x64 version of Adobe Indesign CC and have discovered a new feature that is an awful change! In previous versions, when you exported a pdf file and you changed the file name to include a date or revision number, from then on, whenever you made a pdf of that same file, it would default to whatever file name you used the last time you made a pdf. Now it appears that it defaults back to the Indesign file name every time and just appends the pdf suffix. If there is any way to change that…

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Step and repeat Bug

Step and repeat is not working correctly.

If you have an object, whilst holding option, drag the object to a new position and release, the object is duplicated. This works correctly. If i then select Duplicate from the Edit menu, it should repeat the the last duplication. It does not! It uses the last step and repeat measurement. This is a bug.

This is using indesign 2019.

The bug is not in indesign 2018, it works correctly here

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved For the User  ·  1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Crash ID2018 with a right click

InDesign 2018 (latest update) on macOS Sierra (latest update) crashes when right-clicking a text box with Apple Magic Mouse. Text box could be empty or full, same result. Help please!

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Can't Open JPEG file

Hi there

I am having trouble opening up .jpeg files from Indesign. It is installed as a part of my Creative Cloud subscription. Please see attached for the error that pops up. Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks
                  G

2 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

JPEG files cannot be opened directly in InDesign. They can only be placed.
                    Create a new document and from the File menu, select the Place option. Select a JPEG file and click Open.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
                    Adobe InDesign team

• Object does not stay in center of document after resizing document format

Hello, I found some weird issues in Indesign CC 13.1 on Mac OS El Capitan.
                    When I place an object centerd in the middle of a document (for example
                    500 x 500 px) and I resize the document size to for example 700 x 700 px (something larger than 500 x 500), the Object won't stay in the middle, but moves to the right or left border - even I set the reference point within the transform-window to "middle" and also disable "double page".

Why does the object not stay centered at the document format?
                    I attached a PDF-File where…

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • high sierra 13.5

I have a MacBook Pro 2018 and upgraded my OS to 10.13.5 last week. Ever since upgrading to High Sierra originally I had some issues with the program freezing when my computer was running lots of programs. However, after upgrading the OS last week now Indesign has become almost non-functional (I have CC v. 13.1 ). Every time I click to simply type or scroll pages the colour wheel spins and it takes literally minutes to make a single click.

I have restarted my computer, tried using different files locally on my machine and an our company server. Documents with…

2 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • InDesign 2018 13.1 crashing when saving back to Studio Server

We've just updated our studio with new macs, running High Sierra Version 10.13.4 and the most recent InDesign Version 13.1.

When we open a .indb document and edit one of the individual .indd files within it and attempt to save back to our Studio NAS drive/Server on our ethernet network the program crashes, corrupts the entire file and makes no effort to restore the file.

We are also running our old Macs, on Yosemite 10.10.5 with Indesign 2017 and have not experienced this issue at all for the 7 years we have used these machines.

We’ve looked on various forums…

2 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • US Dictionary continues to use UK spellings

My Indesign Dictionary is set to English: USA, but it still regularly corrects to UK spellings i.e. enrol vs. enroll. I am running Indesign 13.1. Can this be fixed?

https://highgatecreative.d.pr/4tqesc

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The Dictionary section in Preferences dialog shows the Dictionary that is in use for a particular Language. The path (which looks like /Linguistics/UserDictionaries/Adobe Custom Dictionary/…) shown in the dialog is the location of the dictionary that is being used. You can add your own custom User Dictionary by clicking on the + button.
                            The Language used for Spell check is NOT the one chosen in the Preferences dialog.

To specify the default Language used for Spell check for all documents, you should close all documents and select the Type Tool. The Control panel (when Character Formatting Controls – ‘A’ button is selected at the left) shows the Default Language set for all documents. This is the language used for Spell Check. You can also open the Paragraph Styles panel, double-click on the [Basic Paragraph] style and under Advanced Character Formats section, change the Language.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
                            Adobe InDesign…

• 1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • swatches don't merge when importing paragraph styles

When importing paragraph styles from the CC Library, the swatch colors for the styles get added to already existing swatches creating duplicates rather than merging. By the time all paragraph styles are added, there are 10+ swatches of the exact same color....

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The PANTONE 540 CP swatch, when added in InDesign, is a CMYK ‘Process’ Color swatch – it comes from the PANTONE Color Bridge Coated library. This swatch was used in a Paragraph Style and this style was added to the CC Libraries.

You also created another swatch (a custom swatch) which has the same name – PANTONE 540 CP but it is a CMYK ‘Spot’ Color swatch. This was present in the document when the Paragraph Style (created above) was added from CC Libraries to the Paragraph Styles panel.

When the Paragraph Style was added from CC Libraries to the Paragraph Styles panel, it found that a swatch with the name “PANTONE 540 CP” already exists in the document. Since swatches with the same name but different definitions cannot exist together in a document, it added the incoming swatch with a different name – “PANTONE 540 CP 2”…

• Group in Old Layer -> Ungroup in New Layer = Error

I like to layer different styles of content. I'll have a background layer for images, etc., that I want to not touch later so I can lock/unlock while I work with my content over the top of it. Sometimes, I accidentally am in the background layer and create content that needs to be moved to another layer. I would love for a feature like Illustrator that allows me to highlight an object or group of objects, click an opposing layer, and then right-click > arrange > move to selected layer.

Also, there is a slight bug I've found, but it…

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There is an option in the Layers panel flyout menu called “Ungroup Remembers Layers”. This is ON by default. That’s why when you ungroup, the objects go back to the layers to which they belonged prior to the grouping. You can uncheck this option if you want to have the objects get ungrouped on the same layer as the group.

• Unable to launch Adobe InDesign as you do not have sufficient permissions to access the preferences folders.

I can't even open InDesign anymore, I keep getting an error message that says "Unable to launch Adobe InDesign as you do not have sufficient permissions to access the preferences folders. Ensure that you have appropriate permissions and then restart Adobe InDesign." I've changed permissions on every folder and file to "Read & Write" that I thought would help make it work but nothing is working. I was trying to open the latest version of ID, even undownloaded and tried using CC 2017 to no avail. I need this fixed ASAP.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)
                                  MacOS High Sierra Version 10.13.3

17 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please follow the following steps to resolve the issue:
                                    Go to Terminal (Go→Utilities→Terminal.app)
                                    Execute the following command on terminal to provide permission –
                                    1. sudo chmod -R 777 /Users/labuser/Library/Preferences/Adobe\ InDesign
                                    2. sudo chmod -R 777 /Users/labuser/Library/Caches/Adobe\ InDesign
                                    3. sudo chmod -R 777 /Users/labuser/Library/Application\ Support

Refer to article for more information – https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203538

If the issue is not resolved after following the above steps, drop a mail to santalwa@adobe.com.

Thanks,
                                    InDesign Team

• AIGPUSniffer

Indesign will not open a new or existing file... The AIGPUSniffer open but will not open a InDesign file. I am on a Mac running High Sierra 10.13.4

Adobe InDesign CC 2018

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Indesign freeze my iMac when launching

I can't launch InDesign. It just freeze my entire computer and I am forced to restart the iMac. Any idea?

I reinstalled it and it didn't make any change...

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Incorrect Page Count Value

It appears that InDesign CS6 or any of the later CC versions is incorrectly writing the page count metadata, such as CC2018.

This can be demonstrated using Adobe Bridge or ExifTool with the -XMP-xmp:PageImagePageNumber command.

Files consisting of 1 to 2 pages are correctly reported. In all cases, only 2 pages are being shown, whether the file has 3, 4, 128 pages etc.

Screenshots from Bridge CC2018 uploaded/attached.

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Stephen,

There is a preference in InDesign to save preview images with document, by default ‘First 2 Pages’ is selected in that preference. You can change the setting as per your requirement. It is under ‘InDesign CC/ Edit→Preferences→File Handling’.

Thanks
                                          -Anshul

• Not responding at update changes Indesign and Incopy in same time

When have modifieds attributes indesign for incopy, if a user click on "update design" in Incopy and the process of update changes assignments is running in Indesign, the Incopy and Indesign crash!

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base