Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

117 results found

1. Proportional Scaling Using Shift Button Not Working

In the 2017.1 release of InDesign, the ability to hold Shift and scale objects proportionally seems to have disappeared. I know for me this is a major functionality problem that is increasing the time I have to spend on current projects. I've checked support forums and others are encountering this problem, but I haven't yet seen a solution.

108 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while; we really appreciate your support!

Our investigation suggests that one of common reasons for the problem is that certain software (mostly antivirus and other security applications) and browser extensions happen to enable “Secure Keyboard Entry” on Mac machines due to which some keys such as Shift key in this case do not perform the desired action in InDesign.

For now I request you to follow the below provided KB doc for the quick workaround of the problem.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/features-do-not-work-keyboard-keys-mac.html

In the comments section many of the users have confirmed that disabling Webroot SecureAnywhere (a security app) has resolved the issue for them. Please note that, the problem may not be related to a particular software; there could be a different application or antivirus which might be causing the problem by enabling Secure Keyboard Entry on Mac.

Regards,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

2. error encountered reading image

1. InDesign CC 2019 (14.0)
    2. Import large clipped .psd file (~880 mb) into mechanical
    3. Image placed as requested
    4. Error message received suggesting image is corrupt (note: export of InDesign file as idml and opened in 2018 to import image achieves desired result, suggesting image is not corrupt)
    22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. shift doesn't work at all

I updated the version yesterday.... shift doesn't work any more!

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while; we really appreciate your support!

Our investigation suggests that one of common reasons for the problem is that certain software (mostly antivirus and other security applications) and browser extensions happen to enable “Secure Keyboard Entry” on Mac machines due to which some keys such as Shift key in this case do not perform the desired action in InDesign.

For now I request you to follow the below provided KB doc for the quick workaround of the problem.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/features-do-not-work-keyboard-keys-mac.html

In the comments section many of the users have confirmed that disabling Webroot SecureAnywhere (a security app) has resolved the issue for them. Please note that, the problem may not be related to a particular software; there could be a different application or antivirus which might be causing the problem by enabling Secure Keyboard Entry on Mac.

-
    Sanyam Talwar
    InDesign Team

4. Share for Review: Image Quality

Can we have an option where Share > Share for Review has a high-quality view as opposed to the low-res preview (see file attached- Review (left) and Original (right)) please?

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Share for Review is to quickly share a design that is still a work-in-progress with the Reviewer(s) for quick feedback. Since the review opens in a browser for the reviewer, it has to load quickly even on slow networks, that’s why the image quality has been kept low deliberately so that the page loads quickly without long wait times. Using high-res views will slow down the loading of pages in the browser considerably, marring the experience.

Hope this helps.

Adobe InDesign team

5. insert Previous or Next page number does not work

insert Previous or Next page number does not work. I want to have folios of "Pages 1 and 2" where I need to have the next page#. Inserting a marker (previous page or Next page results in the current page number.

Mac version 14.03

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The proper way to use this feature has been explained. It works like this:

The extra text frame (containing the Previous/Next Page Number) need not be linked to the text frame to which it refers. It just has to touch that text frame.

The way this feature works is that you have a text frame that contains some text on a certain page. That text continues on a different page that is random. So, for example, in a magazine, you have an article that starts on page 11, and then it continues on page 80. In that case, you will create a separate text frame on page 11, make it touch the text frame that contains the article and put "Continued on Page . Similarly, on page 80, you will create a separate text frame and make it touch the article and put "Continued from Page .
    When you do…

6. Unequal inset values in an Object Style don't display in a text frame if corners are rounded

If you use an object style with unequal inset spacing and apply it to a text frame, the unequal spacing is ignore and made uniform.

Steps to recreate:
    1. Create an Object Style
    2. Go to 'Text Frame General Options' for that style
    3. Set unequal values for 'Inset Spacing'
    4. Go to 'Stroke & Corner Cptions'
    5. In 'Corner Options' set 'Rounded'
    6. Create a Text Frame
    7. Fill Text Frame with placeholder text
    8. Apply Object Style to Text Frame

Result: unequal inset spacing is ignored.

If you apply unequal inset spacing manually there are no problems —…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. InDesign changing opacity for an unselected item

I am trying to place a slightly opaque rectangle over an image but when I select to lower the opacity on the rectangle, the image (regardless if it's above or below) changes as well.

What's more odd is when I select that photo after I do the action, the image says it is at 100%. The "change" has not been reflected. I have uploaded a 1-2-3 photo demo. Note the photo's slight change in transparency although set at 100%.

This happens when the photo and rectangle are in separate layers, as well. The two items are not placed within each…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The magic of InDesign’s effects all happens via Adobe’s transparency technology, which allows us to blend colors and detail from different objects. In order for it to all work there has to be a consistent color space for InDesign to use when it blends colors. This is called the Transparency Blend Space and it’s really important that you understand it in order to get the most out of InDesign’s effects. When we use transparency effects, InDesign compares different objects and combines their colors and detail. In order for objects to be blended, they have to be in the same color space. So when you apply transparency, InDesign converts everything on a spread to the Transparency Blend Space, regardless of whether that object is actually involved in the effect. And it’s important to note that when we say things are converted, we don’t mean that InDesign alters your placed files; they…

8. InDesign 13.0.1 can not follow an alias on a server share anymore

InDesign 13.0.1 on a apple mac running 10.13.3 does not recognize alias (links) on a server share anymore. Photoshop still does.

Steps: Go to a server share, no matter if an smb or afp share.
    Create a folder A. Place an file inside, e. g. 1.jpeg
    Create an alias from folder A => A alias.
    In InDesign choose OPEN:
    Go to the server share
    The Folder A is in black typo an available. Highlight A and you see the file.
    The Alias A alias is gray, InDesign does not recognize the link.
    Do the same in Photoshop, you will…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

If you create an alias of a folder (located on a server) and drag it to the desktop, it works. For quick creation of aliases this way, press Option-Command while you drag the original item to the desktop.
    Note : Accessing items of an folder’s alias located on a server has not worked in previous releases of InDesign too.

9. Can't Rename Objects in Layers Panel on MacOS Big Sur

Adobe Indesign 16.1, macOS Big Sur 11.2.3

I cannot rename objects or layers in the layers panel. I've attached a video of the typical triple-click method and all you see is a quick flash of the editing mode but it is never actually able to be edited.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. "Rolloff" in Animationpanel not working in CC2017 / CC2018 / MAC / WINDOWS

I am working on a diplom project right now, and faced a really annoying bug in InDesign. I want to create a rollover bar, wich slides up when I rollover / hover with my mouse over a certain object. I know without any kind of problems how I am able to create something like this, but my problem is, that the object simply wont return to its destination where it came from, when I rolloff it again, like going away with my mouse. It stays on its place once the animation has been completed, and when I hover over it…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. InDesign 2020 not tagging lists properly on export to Interactive PDF

If a paragraph style is used to define a tag for export to PDF, all numbered and bulleted lists used with that style inherit the same tag, rather than the list tag <L>, <LI>, etc.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Resolved For User  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Please use a separate style for the bullets with tag set to [Automatic]
    You are experiencing the issue due to an accessibility related bug fix done in v15.0

See https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html
    Issue fixed: List should not export as List Tag if another tag is assigned

Please let us know in comments section if it is otherwise.

Thanks

12. Spelling Language - everything switched to English (UK) but keeps Arabic

I have switched Preferences and all other options to English (UK) but the Check Spelling sticks to Arabic. I am not able to change this setting.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Dictionary options in Preferences dialog is just for defining the chosen Language properties i.e. when you go to Preferences > Dictionary and select any language (say ‘German: Old Rules’) in Language dropdown, it does not signify that ‘German: Old Rules’ is applied or set as a language. It only signifies the User Dictionary that is used for that language, giving you the option to add more custom dictionaries. Also any changes that you make in Hyphenation, Spelling, Double Quotes and Single Quotes section in Preferences > Dictionary would pertain to that Language only. To use those settings you have to manually apply the Language from Control panel/Character panel or from Paragraph/Character Style to the text.

You can verify this by following steps:

Go to Preferences > Dictionary and select ‘German: Old Rules’, etc. in Language dropdown.
    Change Spelling or Hyphenation setting and click OK.
    Now create a text frame. The…

13. Copy a object in InDesign by holding down the alt-key and move obect with the mouse doesn-t work with InDesign CC18 aunder MacOS High Sierra

Copying an object in InDesign by holding down the alt-key and moving the object with the mouse doesn't work any more with InDesign CC18 under MacOS High Sierra. For me this is (has been ..) a key function in InDesign!

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Share for Review

Share for Review does not seem to be working even after another update.

I sent an invitation by "Invite Only". My client received an email with a link and the only 2 options available for my client are "Sign in with an Adobe ID" – 99% of my clients will not HAVE or NEED an Adobe ID.

The second option is "Enter a password if one has been shared with you." Unfortunately, I was not given the option to set up a password. However, when posting publicly I could.

And lastly, when I update the file (link), there was no…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. InDesign 2020: crashing, undo doesn't work, missing fonts, text wrap is broken, so many bugs

The Undo bug is back. I tried to undo some text (in a table) and it reverted the document back to the previous save and then crashed.

On re-opening, ID complains that it can't find my installed fonts that I used in the document. They show up in the document, it just complains that they are not there. These are fonts that I bought and installed, so I know they are available.

I have also been having problems with text wrap not working half the time. I set a box (I've tried both image and text boxes) to text wrap…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Resolved For User  ·  amaarora responded

As per the customer, the issue got resolved by uninstall and re installation of InDesign 2020.

16. space before/after paragraph is suddenly not working

when i try to add space before or after a paragraph, it shows up in the tools panel and in style sheets as being there, but it is not reflected in the actual text.

indesign cc 14.0.1

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In your example, the paragraph ‘Introduction: My Life…’ and ‘Update’ use the same Paragraph Style and the setting ‘Space Between Paragraphs Using Same Style’ is set to 0p0. That’s why the Space After setting of 1p4 is having no effect.
    To make it to work, change the ‘Space Between…’ back to its default setting of ‘Ignore’.
    Hope this helps.

Adobe InDesign team

17. InDesign crashes while Editing Cross-Reference

1. InDesign 13.1
    2. Select text, got to Type > Hyperlinks & Cross-References > Insert Cross-Reference
    3. Should be able to open/edit Cross-References
    4. Entire program freezes and has to be force quit.
    4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As per the customer, the issue was specific to a corrupt element. Deleting or modifying the corrupt element resolved the issue.

Adobe InDesign Team

18. Can't use num. keypad for shortkeys

Hi, I'm using InDesign v 13.1 x64 (up to date) on my laptop (Windows 10).
    On Photoshop and Illustrator, I've no issue with shortkeys but on InDesign, I can't do "CTRL+0" for example. When I try to edit shortkeys, the software doesn't recognize my input, as if I wasn't pressing "0".
    Thanks for fixing it. :)

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In InDesign, the numeric keypad is only meant to assign shortcuts to Styles – Paragraph, Character, Object, Table.

For assigning shortcuts to other Application’s commands, you’ll have to use the other shortcuts – for e.g., to use Cmd+1 to bring image to 100%, you will have to press Cmd and the ‘1’ key that is above the letter keys (on English keyboard, 1 is above letter Q).

Hope it helps to clarify how shortcuts work in InDesign.

Adobe InDesign team

19. InCopy Assignments Updates Crash InDesign

I have an InDesign book file housing several InDesign files that are news page documents with InCopy assignments. When I open the .indd files from the .indb file and a story has been updated (update links dialogue) when I click on "update links" InDesign crashes. I've clicked "don't update links" and it doesn't crash. However, when I go to the page that needs updating and I click update in the assignments panel, InDesign crashes.
    This all happened before and after I reset my InDesign preferences.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Missing ALT-Text in PDF

Since the latest update to InDesign 16.3.2 alternative text to hyperlinks and cross-references is not included in the <Link> tag of the exported PDF-document.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
  • Don't see your idea?