Bug details

Can't drag objects

I am unable to drag objects/textbox/etc in InDesign. I can resize using corner handles but I'm unable to click and drag object to desired location I've uninstalled, reinstalled, shutdown, restarted, cleared all settings, etc and nothing seems to work. I have never encountered this issue in all my years of using InDesign. Please help!

40 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Alvina shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

We would need more details from you all to help with our investigation into the issue. Please provide the information as mentioned below.

1. OS Version?
    2. Are you able to resize the object which you are not able to drag?
    3. Is your Application Frame On or Off?
    4. Does is issue happen with a specific kind of Object, let’s say Text, Rectangle, graphic frame.

99 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sue commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok InDesign, why has this not been resolved. This used to work fine on my PC (Windows 10) using Adobe Indesign CC 2018. I can resize any kind of text box or graphic frame, but try to move . . . it is like it has to try really hard to think about it!! I wait and wait and then it moves. The curer will also float across the screen on its own or as more of the delayed reaction. But, I CAN GRAB A NORMAL MOUSE and everything works just fine! I've tried all the suggestions here on this forum. I even updated the firmware for the tablet. What have you changed Adobe?

• Masoumeh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hi,
        i had the same problem, just shut down and strat your system again...
        it really works:)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I followed someon's suggestion:
        Quit InDesign, then hold down SHIFT, CTRL, ALT + CMD together when launching InDesign. It will ask you to delete preferences, click yes.
        Restart computer.

same issue in mine. Adobe InDesign CC, can not drag the objects, but still can click & also the right click. Anybody succeed resolve the problem?

Same isu in Windows 10. On a tablet pc hp Zbook x2 G4
        Cannot drag&drop anything anymore to photoshop, illustrator or indesign...

• Dave Reed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mac OS 10.11.6. I can resize objects. The problem is I use the Space Bar to drag the whole content around and it just stops working. I restart ID and it works for a few drags and then stops working again. I have to restart the computer to restore the function. This has nothing to do with dragging objects, just repositioning the whole content. I use it all the time. I'm tired of cursing at my computer. This occurs regardless of any other programs I have open. ID CC.

This is happening to me as well (InDesign 14.0.1). I can resize object but not drag them... images, text boxes, pretty much nothing is draggable only resizable.

• Mohd Khafiz Md Yunus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi there, I'm also faced some issue that I can't drag images to InDesign CS6. What i can do is I open the image with Paint > save as > JPEG File > rename the image.

And after then, I can drag the image without any error. But the problem is, it's keep continuing again and again. Can you guys give some advise, whether the camera setting is not compatible or there are another problem?

It's say; "Error encountered while reading JPEG image. Image may be damaged or incompatible. Resave the image with different setting and try again."

You can view the screen shot that I capture.

https://files.fm/u/zwdj7b2b#/view/Gambar+problem.jpg

• Katie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I resent preferences, closed program, etc., but it didn't work until I closed Photoshop and then reopened InDesign. Thanks to whoever mentioned that.

• Patricia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Moving and sizing grouped objects crashes InDesign. This has been a consistent problem since InDesign was introduced. Adobe has never fully addressed and/or fixed this ongoing problem.

Solved. I had the same problem. The problem was, that I had opened dialog window in Premiere Pro and this disabled drag and drop (moving layers/objects) in all Adobe programs (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, ...)

• Ashleigh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having this problem also - tried clearing preferences - no luck. Tried making a new file - no luck.

I FIXED IT.

This just happened to me today. I closed (then reopened) Photoshop and drag in inDesign worked again.

It stopped working when I tried to drag a PSD into my inDesign window. The PSD was open in Photoshop at the time. Either way, I have no way to prove that this was the culprit.

Restarting InDesign acouple of times did not work. Someone in a thread suggested closing down PhotoShop and InDesign fixed it. This rather easy fix worked for me. Whew!

SOLUTION - I have this every now and then on my MacBook Pro, hugely frustrating when it happens but fixable. Quit InDesign, then hold down SHIFT, CTRL, ALT + CMD together when launching InDesign. It will ask you to delete preferences, click yes. Quit InDesign again and do a full shutdown of your mac. When you launch InDesign again you'll find it's back to normal.

Hey guys!! I would make sure that whatever you're clicking isn't secretly hiding behind a background image or something else. I had this issue where I was trying to move a text box and I wasn't able to. After hours of trying everything I finally realized my background image wasn't sent to the back, my text box was actually the farthest thing back and when I tried clicking it I was actually clicking the background image. Silly silly mistake but just want to claify that for anyone who might have overlooked that possibility!

• J. Moreland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

-Win 10
        -Yes, Can resize
        -Issue happens will all objects

Happening more often and have to reboot several times a day. Need fix asap.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base