Bug details

Can't drag objects

I am unable to drag objects/textbox/etc in InDesign. I can resize using corner handles but I'm unable to click and drag object to desired location I've uninstalled, reinstalled, shutdown, restarted, cleared all settings, etc and nothing seems to work. I have never encountered this issue in all my years of using InDesign. Please help!

44 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Alvina shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

We understand that issue must be slowing you down and we need your help in reproducing the issue at our end. It will enable us to investigate the problem much faster.
1. Have your observed that closing any open browser fixes the problem?
2. When the movement of the object is disabled using mouse, but do you continue to move around the object using keyboard arrow keys?
3. Have you observed that restarting InDesign fixes the problem momentarily?
4. Are you able to create a new document when the movement of objects is disabled?
5. On which device are you using InDesign?

141 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Stavros Kara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello all,
    i noticed that when i started running ID as administrator that happend (it wouldnt let me drag n drop items inside ID) . i turned off "Run this program as administrator" and everything is good. To do that, right click on the ID icon > Properties > Compatibility tab > Uncheck this one : Run this program as an administrator.
    i Hope that helps.

• Lizette commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Abhinav,
    I no longer have this issue, I think because I updated my MacOS or InDesign. I work on an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) usingMac OS Mojave, but am not sure what I was using when I had the issue. I had the issue for atleast 6 months, and I even spoke with an Adobe tech support person, but ultimately they were not able to help me. I am glad the issue was somehow resolved.

• Chris Garza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

me again, the update fixed the drag situation and worked just fine for a moment, then Save, Undo, Cut or Paste are disabled

• Colin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And another one. Was working fine an hour ago and now can't move anything with the mouse - text, shape, images etc all stuck to the layout. Nothing is locked, and I can move them with the cursor keys.
    Tried quitting and restarting ID, reset preferences to default, checked for App updates... no progress.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also have a deadline coming up and I am running into the same problem. It looks like people have been reporting this for a while. Can we get an update?
    Windows 10
    Unable to resize
    Doesn't work with app frame on or off
    Graphic and text frames

• Marcia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem with me. Can't move/drag objects with the direct selection tool. Just started yesterday.

• Matt Currie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Literally, going down right now. Thesis project is going to print tomorrow morning. NEED THIS SORTED OUT ASAP

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't move a darn box. Restarted, but nothing changes.
    So darn frustrating.
    Latest build CC.
    Windows 10.
    I have two books due in three weeks and I have to put up with this garbage from Adobe on top of all the other stress. Thanks.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base