Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• or

327 results found

1. Variable font changes to Italic when a custom axis value is set, without user input. Also, the Italic axis cannot be controlled.

This may be related to a somewhat similar Illustrator bug:
    https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/46249144-variable-font-changes

Summary:
    1. Variable fonts that have separate but related roman/italic font files are handled badly by InDesign (and Illustrator). In InDesign, if you set a custom axis value such as Weight or Optical Size, the font changes to Italic immediately. This issue occurs in fonts such as Roboto Serif and Apple SF Pro, which are well-tested, popular, and important by many measures. It also occurs in fonts that have internal data that is known to be good, at least as far as FontBakery testing shows. It doesn’t occur in…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Change of indesign behaviour regarding form elements - problems of non printing elements

Indesign Version 15.12x64 Windows

I opened an old document (paper registration/order form) and suddenly became aware that something has happened.

A lot of input fields was visible - in the old version i did never see tham in this view.

But this was not the problem.

The problem was, that if I converted the cocument to PDF with the STANDARD PRINT preset , all boxes were gone.

After some investigation i found out, that those have been converted to intaractive elements also without my knowledge.

Only after i changed the option "INTERACTIVE ELEMENTS" the very last option on the PDF…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Endnotes and multi-language layers

InDesign CC 13.1

As a long-time user of ID, I want to report what looks to me like a serious bug.

Working on a multi-language book project for the first time since the endnotes feature was introduced, I noticed that when importing the second language on a separate layer (as I have been doing for many years without any problems) the endnotes are imported with correct references in the text but the notes themselves lose their numbers, showing the dreaded <?> instead.
    Trying to work around the problem using David Blatner's DTP tools' "import layers" feature gives the same result. …

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. password protection makes it impossible to watch PDF on iOS

There is a bug in exporting a protected PDF to iOS Adobe Acrobat Reader. If I put a password protection for printing, text editing and content coping in the PDF, the Acrobat Reader on iOS can't show the file. The app crashes or every (!) page needs between 4 and 7 minutes to show up. Within this 4-7 minutes the page is simply grey or white. If I export the same InDesign document without password protection, the iOS Adobe Reader shows it perfectly and normal. As a workaround I exported it without password protection, opened on the Mac in Acrobat…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Master Items misssing when used based on page

Using Windows 7 or Mac OS no matter even it's in preview Indesign CC.

I found this and very annoying to fix it manually in master page items.

Steps Created Master Page A for body text pages
    Created master Page B: As a chapter opener. It's based on Master A. Only removed top running header.

Now applied in pages:
    Left side page : Master Page A.
    Right side page chapter opener and applied Master Page B

Result: Part of Running Header is disappear in Left Side Page, right side page ok as is.

Am I missing something. Getting this kind…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Color Profile Warnings when copying Objects and Text within the same Document

Mismatching color profile warnings are very helpful when copying objects between documents with different profiles, which is why this is an always-on option for me.

However, for some time now, such warnings seem to pop up randomly when I copy text between documents with the same profile settings, and sometimes even when copying text from one text box to another within the same document.

My understanding is that this is a bug, as live text in an INDD cannot have different profiles. Is there a way to avoid these warnings and still get them when they are necessary (copying between…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Indesign crashes after copying text

Indesign crashes immediately after copying text. It seems that this only happens with formatted text. If I separate the text box from the paragraph format, I can copy the text. But that is very time consuming and annoying. When I open Indesign again, it crashes immediately. And when I finally managed to open the file again and click on "Paragraph format" in the sidebar, Indesign freezes. The bug has occurred since the last 2-3 versions of Indesign and I hope that the bug will be fixed with every new one. Unfortunately, this did not happen.

Indesign 15.0.2
    MacOS: 10.15.3

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

8. em dash

InDesign treats two words separated by an em dash as a single word when applying styles. For example, if you create a paragraph style which includes a nested style to set the first three words of the paragraph in small caps, InDesign will set the first four words in small caps if the first three words include an em dash.

An em dash should be treated as punctuation, not a connector. Words separated by an em dash are are separate words and should be treated as such.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Share for Review - Public Recipients Still Can't Access Without Adobe Account

I'm using InDesign version 17.0.1. Using Share for Review, I was able to chose Public and send invitations. The recipients received the e-mail from Adobe, but if the recipient is on a computer without an Adobe account, when they click the button to access the file, it doesn't open - it will just spin for several minutes then display a File Preview Error . The instructions I have for Share for Review said that choosing Public would allow users without an Adobe account to access the file, but this does not seem to be the case. I first tested this…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Share for Review  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Share for Review breaks when INDD files are duplicated for versioning

Everyone I know who uses InDesign duplicates files regularly to create various versions of documents. Share for Review seems to have a major problem with this. When I create multiple versions of a document by duplicating an original, InDesign cannot seem to differentiate between the various versions, even if they have different names and are completely separate files. The only solution seems to be if you have only one document open at a time and break the link to start over. It's maddening, as I have 9 versions of important documents that I need to share for review, and when…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. epub 3 footnote hyperlink character style html is broken (InDesign CC 2020 v15.0)

epub 3 footnote hyperlink character style html is broken. When exporting to an epub 3 with footnotes that contain hyperlinks, the html output is acting strange. See the below for an example as it applies a separate span character style to each word or string.

<a href="https://naturalhealthcourses.com/2015/06/cellular-memory-and-how-it-works/"><span class="Hyperlink">https:</span><span class="Hyperlink">/</span><span class="Hyperlink">/naturalhealthcourses</span><span class="Hyperlink">.</span><span class="Hyperlink">com</span><span class="Hyperlink">/</span><span class="Hyperlink">2015</span><span class="Hyperlink">/</span><span class="Hyperlink">06</span><span class="Hyperlink">/</span><span class="Hyperlink">cellular</span><span class="Hyperlink">-</span><span class="Hyperlink">memory</span><span class="Hyperlink">-</span><span class="Hyperlink">and</span><span class="Hyperlink">-</span><span class="Hyperlink">how</span><span class="Hyperlink">-</span><span class="Hyperlink">it</span><span class="Hyperlink">-works/</span></a>

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. InDesign version 16.1. Hyperlinks interactivity function not working properly.

When creating hyperlinks within a document, certain links, although functioning within the hyperlink panel, do not translate as links when published online or as an ePub. This is completely random, as other links set up in exactly the same way (often on the same page) work fine. Have tried everything I can think of to fix the issue myself but can't figure out why it is happening.

Steps to recreate the issue:
    1. Set up document
    2. Set up multiple hyperlinks (mine are objects rather than text)
    3. Preview in interactivity panel and/or publish online

Expected Result: Links should be…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. InDesign: Insert authors document's metadata without quotes

Version
    Adobe InDesign up to 2023.

Steps to reproduce the issues
    Setting the active document’s metadataPreferences.author with multiple authors, separated by comma or semicolon in a string via extendscript:

app.activeDocument.metadataPreferences.author = "Elric Wade; Anne Emu; Sophie Kumpir";

Expected result
    The authors should be placed into the "Author" metadata field, separated by comma or semicolon.

Actual result
    The authors are placed into the "Author" metadata field, but all set within double quotes, so they appear to be one author, not multiple authors.

Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
    See attached screenshot.

Please make it possible to add…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Scripting  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Lao Line Breaking Support

I'm working on a major project using the Lao language and InDesign. The Lao text is not flowing correctly in InDesign. There are addons that provide these features (LaoScript), but there isn't native InDesign support, from what I can tell.

Lao text does not seem to properly word wrap. Many professionals use zero-width-spaces in Lao to create invisible 'spaces' between words so that applications properly word wrap. However, this has significant drawbacks and makes it harder for Lao people to use and edit their language because editing text with invisible characters is difficult (especially on mobile, but PCs as well).

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Linked in file not showing missing font error

I have designed several booklets for a customer each targeting a specific audience. Some of these pages are the same like this back cover file which I have made using inDesign and is placed as the last page of all the booklets. When I make a print layout setting up the pages [12/1] [2/11] ... to print as a booklet I place all the pages from the indesign file for each book. This means that my print file references a design file which references a variety of pages and fliers of pdf, ai and indd types. I recently had some…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Endnotes content shuffled by ICML import

InDesign/InCopy versions 14, 15, & 16

The position of user-entered "extra" content in an endnote story is currently lost when endnotes are replaced during an update of the associated story.

Adobe's help documentation says (from the "Work with endnote text" section of https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/endnotes.html )

"Endnotes in the endnote frame are indicated with Endnote Markers. Text, such as heading, can be typed in the endnote frame outside these markers. This extra content does not belong to any endnote."

This suggests that user content in an endnotes story is allowed and supported.

However, extra content moves around during an update. An attached…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Properties window not staying in custom workspace

Every time I open Indesign (14.0.1) my custom workspace loads, however, since adding the new 'properties' window to this workspace, the properties panel does not load with the custom, saved workspace. Instead I have to open it separately each time from the Window menu.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Stroke Style not working

When creating a line, the drop down menu on the side bar or in separate window does not work. The style options will not open, no ability to change the line style. I have restarted InDesign, and tried new files, it doesn't work.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Variable chapter number

The variable 'chapter number' gives a problem, wherever it is used it is represented as '1'.
    Because chapter numbers and paragraph numbers are not included in the Continuous header, it is useful if it can be displayed separately.
    Is it possible to include this numbering in the variable in the future (as an option)?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Lack of full-screen mode support for MacOS

Why don't you play nice with MacOS? They have had a full-screen mode for years, and you apparently couldn't care less about your Mac users' need for efficiency. Maximizing Adobe apps on separate desktops isn't at all the same as full-screen mode, so please don't pretend it is. Get off your ****, take the $52/month I and many others give you, and GET IT DONE!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base