Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. I lost all Save, Save As, Undo functionality (everything is grayed out). To save my work, I have to export as an IDML .

Lost all Save, Save As, Undo functionality while working.
    To save my work, the only thing to do is to export as an IDML file. Force quitting to recover the file doesn't work. This has been happening to me since InDesign 5.5. I am currently using InDesign CC 2018. There are no particular steps, it happens at random. I can have several files open and it only happens to one file, or sometimes it's more than one file. It happens whether I'm working off of my Desktop or on our server.

92 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

217 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If you are still experiencing this issue (as some of you are), please respond to the email that has been sent to you.
    While the issue has been fixed for certain scenarios, it looks like there are some remaining where it is still NOT working as expected. We look forward to finding a complete fix for this issue.

Thanks,
    Adobe InDesign team

2. InDesign is very slow

The latest version is virtually unusable. If I select an image or text box on a layout I get a spinning wheel for 10 - 15 seconds. If I try to move something - spinning wheel 10-15 seconds. Try to save a document - spinning wheel 10-15 seconds. Previous versions did not behave this way on this same computer. No other applications behave this way.

My Mac is a late 2012 model, 32Gb RAM, 2 SSD drives; one for the OS / Applications and one for the customer files. GeForce video card (came with the computer with 1Gb RAM.

I…

53 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

51 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Need more info  ·  Sumit Garg responded

Hi ,

There can be multiple reasons for slow downs. Watching you uploaded video gave us little hint for possible causes.
    However , can you please send us your document for more analysis. This will help us in isolating the actual root cause.

You can send us your packaged document with assets to “sharewithID@adobe.com” email address.

3. Fehlercode 4/Errorcode 4 for not damaged documents

1. Adobe Indesin CC 13.01
    After the last Update of Indesign time by time suddenly Indesign report a damaged file if you try to open any InDesign-Document.

Everytime after restarting the Mac everything is good and I'm fortunally able to open all o these documents.

Sometimes restarting Indesign helps, but not always.

The last 3 days it happens much to often und it nervs.

52 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

61 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve been able to identify one scenario in which the cache folder is not accessible while InDesign is launched, resulting in the issue. The issue seems to be specific to MAC OS.

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still encounter the issue again, try to access the location “/Users//Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version/14.0/en_US/InDesign Recovery/*” and create a file in the directory.

Workaround – Quit & relaunch the application, Cache folder gets created and the problem is resolved.

We require more information to identify the root cause of the issue. Please provide following information over email to santalwa@adobe.com
    1. Version of MAC OS (110.12.×, 10.13.x, 10.14.x)
    2. Is InDesign cache and Preferences mounted on Network drive?
    3. Any sync utility running on your machine,…

4. Can't drag objects

I am unable to drag objects/textbox/etc in InDesign. I can resize using corner handles but I'm unable to click and drag object to desired location I've uninstalled, reinstalled, shutdown, restarted, cleared all settings, etc and nothing seems to work. I have never encountered this issue in all my years of using InDesign. Please help!

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

153 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

We understand that issue must be slowing you down and we need your help in reproducing the issue at our end. It will enable us to investigate the problem much faster.
    1. Have your observed that closing any open browser fixes the problem?
    2. When the movement of the object is disabled using mouse, but do you continue to move around the object using keyboard arrow keys?
    3. Have you observed that restarting InDesign fixes the problem momentarily?
    4. Are you able to create a new document when the movement of objects is disabled?
    5. On which device are you using InDesign?

5. stalls intermittently, seconds to minutes of spinning beach ball or Application not responding

Stalls to a spinning beach ball intermittently during use. Add images in frames, move images or add text, what-ever, it suddenly just stalls and can take seconds to minutes before clearing. CS6, the CC2017 worked fine. Now CC2018 seems to have regressed in performance. I have to FORCE QUIT at times. MacOS Sierra 10.12.6

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Unable to package a file to a server after upgrading to Mojave.

Dear Adobe,
    Yesterday we upgraded to 10.14 Mojave and I am not able to package files from windows server. Indesign freezes every time.
    I can make packeges from my MAC or from external hard drives. The network is working correctly. On High Sierrea everything worked properly.

Indesign CC 2018: 13.0
    Mac: 10.14

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

50 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for reporting the issue to us. We need some more information from you to narrow down the problem.

1. Is this issue reproducible with id 13.1 as well? If you are on id 13.0, please upgrade to Id 13.1.

2. Does the issue happen when the document is present on Mac machine but the packaged folder is saved on a network?

3. Does the issue happen when the document is on a network location and the package folder is made on the network location?

4. Is the issue consistently reproducible?

5. What kind of server are you using? Is it shared folder on a Windows machine? Or a dedicated storage hosted on a Windows server?

7. InDesign CC 2019, GPU enablement on Mac

InDesign CC 2019 14.0
    macOS Mojave 10.14
    Mac Pro 5.1 (mid 2012)
    SAPPHIRE Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB GDDR5

Photoshop CC GPU Performance - ok
    Illustrator CC GPU Performance - ok
    InDesign CC... GPU incompatible???
    In addition, there are icon discolorations (only InDesign). Sometimes this effect occurs, sometimes not. The color of discoloration can be different.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. InDesign slow opening, saving, exporting files

InDesign taking up to 5 minutes to open a file. The file is a one-page document. Two minutes of nothing, then 2 minutes of a blue status bar, then another minute watching the tiny status bar on the application icon in the doc. Once the file is "open" it isn't visible until I toggle back and forth between InDesign and another application. Saving, even after changing only one text character, takes 55 seconds. Exporting a 30 page document to PDF took 20 minutes.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please provide below mentioned data as much as possible. This will help us find root cause of the issue and make InDesign’s performance experience better.

1. InDesign Version being used (Please mention InDesign version- e.g. 14.0.2 build, you can check this from “About InDesign..” menu.)
    2. Same issue was being observed in earlier version of InDesign?
    3. Please share a packaged document for analysis at sharewithID@adobe.com .
    4. Which area OR feature where slowness is being observed(e.g. typing, export, movement etc.)
    5. Any Known steps(Step that led to slowness)
    6. Platform detail(Using Windows/Mac e.g. Windows10, Mac10.12.1)
    7. Machines Configuration (details like RAM, CPU etc.)
    8. Video recording(Please provide the screen recording showing slowness )
    9. Workspace file
    (Please do share workspace file corresponding to your workspace. Workspace files are present at)
    MAC: “/Users/[USERNAME]/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version [Number]/[Your Locale]/Workspaces/”
    Win: “C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\Version [Number]\[Your Locale]\Workspaces\”
    10. Any other extra…

9. Text disappears while editing

When editing a text box, the text disappears.
    I have to switch the display mode (Overview > Normal or Normal > Overview) to make the text appear again.

This bug occurs frequently (10~20 times a day) but I did not identify what is the trigger.

Version 2017.1
    Build 12.1.0.56 x64
    Windows 10 x64

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Cannot resize Epub Interactivity Preview panel

I can not resize the Epub Interactivity Preview Panel at all.
    I am using the latest InDesign CC 2018.

SWF Preview panel is fine.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  21 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Spacebar handtool doesn't work

Since I use Indesign CC (Now CC 2018 13.0) sometimes the hand tool (spacebar) doesn't work. And today it again doesn't work. Why is this problem here for almost a year now. I am very disappointed in this bug.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. indesign crashes very regularly

Indesign crashes very often these days giving this message [/Development/siriusr11/external/dva/adobe/dvaui/ui/src/OS_UI.cpp-4645], but not autosaving. It seems to happen at different times, can't pinpoint why it does

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.
    (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

13. InDesign CC (13.0.1.) - Often can't save as InDesign-Document (error code 0)

InDesign often says that it can't save my InDesign-Document, because its damaged (error code 0) . It damage my files, so that i've to save as IDML.

Annoying.

Cant't reproduce the problem.
    I work local, so it can't be an connection-problem.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve been able to identify one scenario in which the cache folder is not accessible while InDesign is launched resulting is the issue. The issue seems to be specific to MAC OS.
    If you encounter the issue again, try to access the location “/Users//Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version/13.0/en_US/InDesign Recovery/*” and create a file in the directory.

Workaround – Relaunch the application, Cache folder gets created and the problem is resolved.

We require more information to identify the root cause of the issue. Please provide following information via email to santalwa@adobe.com
    1. Version of MAC OS (10.11.x, 10.12.x, 10.13.x)
    2. Is InDesign cache and Preferences mounted on Network drive?
    3. Any sync utility running on your machine, such as TimeMachine?

Thanks,
    Adobe InDesign Team

14. No Panels at Start

Many times CC apps start with no panels at all or panels which won't expand when clicked.

Also happens in Photoshop, Illustrator in my experience and on different machines (Mac Pro at home, different iMacs at the office).

Has been going on for many iterations of CC apps.

macOS High Sierra 13.13.3 / CC 2018 InDesign 13.0.1

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. World-Ready Composer Is messing up the kerning in Latin fonts

I have reported a variation of this—back with CS6—but it seems not to have been fixed. I assume it's a bug, but if someone can enlighten me about what I might be doing wrong and how I can fix this, I'd appreciate it.

I often work on books that include Arabic and Hebrew words and phrases in the middle of English text. They only way to get the Arabic ligatures to form is to use one of the World Ready composers. When I do that, though, the kerning around some English characters often—but not always—is affected. I have tried turning…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  8 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Data Merge not populating fields CC2019

I use Data Merge for variable data production every day. I am using IDCC2019 v14.0.1. iMac 27 inch late 2013. OS High Sierra 10.13.6. Processor 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5. 16 GB memory.

This problem started with IDCC2019. I link to .csv for data merge. When exporting to PDF, I choose a record range – for example 1-1000. In the PDF result, the first page is not the first record. It is a random record in the middle – for example, 319. It merges records 319-1000. Then the remaining pages of the 1000 page output are not populated – in the…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. InDesign CC 2018 stalls to a spinning beachball right after opening for a brief time

On first opening InDesign in Sierra 10.2.4, after a couple of seconds of not taking any action, InDesign stalls briefly—about 3 to 4 seconds—not allowing any new action during that time. There is just a spinning beachball. I can postpone the beachball by immediately opening a menu; but after mousing away from the menu the beachball comes back. Not sure if it is trying to load something, but I currently don't have any extra extensions installed. I tried resetting preferences and removing all user install scripts, but it still did it. It's consistent every time I open the new version.…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

37 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    We are currently investigating the issue as the issue is not reproducible inhouse. We have sent mails to most of the folks and received following responses:
    • The issue got resolved automatically.
    • The issue immediately vanished when Unchecking Creative Cloud synchronization.
    • Upgrade to OS 10.13.6 resolved the issue
    • The issue got resolved after turning off TypeKit sync

Regards
    InDesign Team

18. error encountered reading image

1. InDesign CC 2019 (14.0)
    2. Import large clipped .psd file (~880 mb) into mechanical
    3. Image placed as requested
    4. Error message received suggesting image is corrupt (note: export of InDesign file as idml and opened in 2018 to import image achieves desired result, suggesting image is not corrupt)

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. InDesign False Ligatures Bug

InDesign sometimes, seemingly randomly, replaces pairs such as hn, il, io, sy, ek, etc. with completely wrong glyph, such as accented Y, U, etc., when regular Ligature setting is applied. This has been a problem since CS5 and we recently had it occur in CC2015, so it is still there. Affected fonts have been many over the years, including licensed Adobe fonts. Fonts can be Open Type or PostScript. Language setting can be English US, UK, or seemingly anything else. The only thing that works to avoid it is to turn off Ligatures which is generally unacceptable, so the only…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. unable to change font, size, style in Script UI, alignment problem with Image on button

Unable to perform basic features such as changing of text Font, Styles, Sizes in CC's scriptUI.
    Alslo image in button way OFF alignment.

This result in uglier customized UIs than it's older versions.
    As the world population is getting older, the ability to have bigger font size and style is really needed.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base