Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Tab controls are buggy. InDesign CC 2018

When using the Tabs control dialogue box all sorts of problems begin to manifest. First, as you are working with the tabs controls page elements go sideways. Text overlaps, sometimes entire paragraphs preceding the area you are working in.

On occasion, the tabs simply don't line up to where you assign them, even when you do so numerically. (See screenshot)

Settings for paragraph styles take precedence over tabs settings (even though tabs traditionally were the opposite, taking precedence.)

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

14 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Text cursor disappears - Mojave and InDesign CC 13.1

After upgrading to Mac OSX Mojave (10.14), using InDesign CC 13.1 ME, the text cursor disappears. All other cursors appear as expected. This happens both with the standard Text tool, and the ME Text tool.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There are multiple factors, both internal and external to InDesign application, that can lead to document corruption. However, we can take a look and see if the file can be repaired. Please email your InDesign file to corrupt_indesign_docs@adobe.com. We will take a look at the document.

If the file is larger than 10 Mb, you can zip (and password protect) the file and upload to Creative Cloud account (or Dropbox/Wetransfer/GoogleDrive) and send us the document link.

Thanks,
    Adobe InDesign team

4. InDesign Corrupt files

InDesign users all have to deal with corrupt files sometime during their career using this program. Usually meaning lost time and, more importantly, money. It would be nice if there was a way to have InDesign or another program scan and fix corrupt files (Adobe FirstAid). Dumping this corrupt file into this program would scan the file, find the cause of the error, and isolate it--almost like a virus scanner. Even if this means a page is lost or margins are messed up. It would be nice to at least get some work saved. For example, I throw in a…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. InDesign, latest version. GREP: find period (.) character followed by endnote reference number. Should be (\.)(~U) but doesn't seem to work.

GREP: find period (.) character followed by endnote reference number. Should be (\.)(~U) but doesn't seem to work.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    Please can you confirm if this GREP query works for small text ranges? (for example text selection containing around 10K characters)
    For me, the query works for just in a document containing one (.) followed by one endnote marker

If it works for you as well on small documents, your issue may be same as https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/37286893-cc-14-0-2-grep-search-not-working

-Adobe InDesign Team

6. Bad optical kerning for superscript "4"

When a superscript "4" follows a closing smart quotation mark, optical kerning is set to -60 or -70 depending on font. This is too close (basically a crash).

This is annoying for books with lots of endnotes, where superscript numbers usually follow quotation marks.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Text disappears from text boxes on certain pages.

The text in some of the text boxes just disappears when reopened, especially in files that are a couple of days old.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. installed font missing

InDesign 13.0.1 on macOS 10.12.6

One installed font from a family of 6 suddenly started showing as not found. Frutiger LT Pro 67 Bold Condensed was correctly showing, now not.

I have re-installed InDesign twice, reinstalled the font, and rebooted several times. Font is correctly showing still in Illustrator and Photoshop.

This is impacting client files and while I have a workaround, I am concerned the problem will occur with other fonts where I don't have a viable solution. (I have another foundry version of that particular font.)

Screen shots attached.

many thanks

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Please try it out with the latest release and if even then you encountering the same issue, please share the font file of that particular font with which you are facing the issue.

Please do mention your machine configuration like OS, Locale. You can also send files/links directly to paawasth@adobe.com.

Thanks,
    Payal

9. CC2018 IDML files not compatible with CS6

Clients who have CS6 can't open any IDML files I create/export in CC2018. They receive an error message saying the format is unsupported or a plug-in is missing. IDML files created/exported from an earlier version of CC (2017) work fine.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  21 comments  ·  Idml Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. InDesign crashes while accessing printer setup or printing on Windows

I've had no issues in writing documents, but printing an existing one crashed InDesign2018. A crash report was automatically generated and sent to you &/ or Apple.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

InDesign might crash while accessing printer setup or printing with specific printers. The crash is intermittent and specific to Windows only.

We need some more details to look into this issue. Please share the following information for further investigation:

Printer driver and printer setup details.
    How is the printer configured? (Local/Network/Wireless)
    Is the printer configured as your default printer?
    Please share the details with us at sharewithID@adobe.com.

11. Warnhinweis "Dokument wurde außerhalb des Buches bearbeitet"

Wird eine Buchdatei bearbeitet und geschlossen ohne das das Fenster Buch geöffnet ist, wird das Dokument mit dem Warnhinweis "Dokument wurde außerhalb des Buches bearbeitet" markiert.
    Dieser Fehler tritt nicht auf, wenn das Fenster Buch beim Schließen oder Speichern geöffnet bzw. angezeigt wird.
    Es ist kein Grund für dieses Verhalten zu erkennen. In den letzten ID Versionen trat dieser Effekt nicht auf.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Adjust Layout: add an option to ignore objects anchored in text or bring back legacy (2018) layout adjustment

I always made extensive use of the old layout adjustment feature in 'margins and columns', yet the new 'adjust layout' gives inconsistent and confusing results, resizing objects that never used to get changed.

It's gone from being very useful to a liability.

For me it was great for resizing the main text frame on multi-page (100s+ pages) books, but leaving the objects pasted into the text frame alone (figures, etc). Also moving page numbers aligned with margins, but not changing the sizes.

The new feature stretches and distorts carefully measured objects/figures, changes anchored object settings (at least, things move about…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. full swatch list not displaying bug

In the first image, the scroll bar is all the way to the bottom, but it's not showing the rest of the list, when I expand the box (image 2) it displays them... please help/fix?

IndesignCC 13.1 osx high sierra.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for reporting the issue. We need some information around the issue which may help us in narrowing down the root cause:

1. Does it happen with the latest InDesign version 14.0.1 ?
    2. Is it document specific or happens with all the documents?
    3. Does it happen with Swatches panel only or all other panels while expanding ?
    4. Have you added any extra swatches or it happens with the default swatches ?
    5. Please specify your Platform, OS version and InDesign version.

A short video depicting the issue will be very helpful.

14. Online Published Documents show a blank screen after clicking PDF download button.

Online Published Documents show a blank screen after clicking PDF download button. Mac Safari & Chrome, Windows 10 & Chrome.

https://indd.adobe.com/view/023d4ab5-2ffd-4a9c-9b15-cc64ef1d4c27

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for reporting the issue. We need some information around the issue which may help us in narrowing down the root cause:

1. Does it happen with the latest InDesign version 14.0.1 ?
    2. Is it document specific or happens with all the documents with PDF download capability ?
    3. Which type of accounts are you using : Paid or Trial or something else ?
    4. Please specify your Platform, OS version and Browser information

A short video depicting the issue will be very helpful

15. Printing Error: Problem initializing the current printer - Check the system print setting?

Printing Error: Problem initializing the current printer - Check the system print setting?

I have not changed anything in my settings for this error to occur? The previous version works and I have cross-referenced all my settings and they match but it will not allow the print booklet export to the Adobe PDF drive which has always worked?

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

34 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Are you facing issue with InDesign CC 2019(14.0.1.209) and InDesign CC 2018(13.1.0.76)?
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when you encountered the issue in InDesign?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)?
    • Printer driver and printer setup details.
    • How is the printer configured? (Local/Network/Wireless)
    • Is the printer configured as your default printer?

16. CC library tab won't select?

When clicking on the dropdown menu to select a CC library, the tabs do not open unless I hold down the ^ button. When opened, I cannot select a CC library. Have refreshed several times but it still doesn't let me change the library! This is on InDesign for Mac.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi

Please provide the following information:
    1. Is InDesign installed on the default path?
    2. Do you have any special character in the path where InDesign is installed? Like username has special characters.

Also, please provide a copy of you preferences, you can zip them and email to anasgupt@adobe.com.

Regards
    Anasuiya Gupta

17. Indesign Crashes Every time I Attempt to Change the Font With Arrow Keys

This just started happening this week. Every time I highlight my text, click on the font box, and attempt to cycle through fonts with my up and down arrow keys, Indesign freezes until I have to force it to quit.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.2) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.2 (build 324), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.
    (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

18. Hyperlinks not detected

The "Convert URLs to Hyperlinks" function in the hyperlinks panel is not working properly in CC 2018. Not all the links are detected. There doesn’t seem to be any logic in which links are detected and which are not, it seems very random.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

I tried out with various hyperlinks and the function is working fine for me.

Please try it out with the latest release and even then if you encountering the same issue,
    please provide sample documents with which you are facing the issue or just add a small video (on WeTransfer/Youtube/Dropbox) and share the link.

Please do mention your machine configuration like OS, Locale.

You can also send files/links directly to paawasth@adobe.com

Thanks & Regards
    Payal Awasthi (InDesign Team)

19. Cursor spins and text display lags while typing

ISSUE: While typing, text display will freeze/lag, and the cursor will change to a loading icon for about 2 seconds, then the text will finally appear all at once after the loading icon changes back to a regular cursor. This happens while typing in a regular text box.

EXPECTED RESULT: I expect text to appear on screen immediately as I press the key on the keyboard, not after a 2 second lag.

Version: InDesign CC 13.0 x64

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Can't scroll through pages in presentation mode

2017.1 Release, 12.1.0.56 Build
    macOS Sierra version 10.12.6

When I go to the presentation mode, I am not able to scroll through the pages. Whether i use the trackpad, arrow keys, or change the keyboard shortcuts.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    There has to be a scenario in which the scrolling of the document is not working in presentation mode because, otherwise it is not reproducible at our end.
    I can observe that, pages do not scroll while making a vertical gesture on the mouse, but through other methods such as, click, arrow key pages can be scrolled easily.

Are you able to scroll using clicks and arrow keys?
    Is it the case that, the issue is intermittent or only happens in a specific scenario?
    Also, let us know your machine details such its configuration, OS version and Id version

This can help us to get to the bottom of the issue

Thanks,
    Abhinav

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base