Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Unable to package a file to a server after upgrading to Mojave.

Dear Adobe,
    Yesterday we upgraded to 10.14 Mojave and I am not able to package files from windows server. Indesign freezes every time.
    I can make packeges from my MAC or from external hard drives. The network is working correctly. On High Sierrea everything worked properly.

Indesign CC 2018: 13.0
    Mac: 10.14

24 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

25 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for reporting the issue to us. We need some more information from you to narrow down the problem.

1. Is this issue reproducible with id 13.1 as well? If you are on id 13.0, please upgrade to Id 13.1.

2. Does the issue happen when the document is present on Mac machine but the packaged folder is saved on a network?

3. Does the issue happen when the document is on a network location and the package folder is made on the network location?

4. Is the issue consistently reproducible?

5. What kind of server are you using? Is it shared folder on a Windows machine? Or a dedicated storage hosted on a Windows server?

• Type Tool Deselects Itself

InDesign 14.0

When selecting the Type Tool by using the keyboard shortcut (T), it briefly activates, then deactivates itself and the previous tool selected is made active again. I am unable to use the type tool in the brief period of time it is made active. I can select it successfully by clicking on the icon on the sidebar.

11 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Critical : can't sync fonts from Adobe

Critical : can't sync fonts from Adobe :

Hello, just like this guy below :

Help! Unable to activate fonts InDesign 2019

I can't sync fonts on indesign from Adobe Fonts. Nothing works. Tried everything.

Tried syncing them from the Adobe Font website, tried in Indesign, uninstalled all indesign versions, restarted preferences, uninstalled adobe cloud.

tried everything,

Deactivating fonts on adobe font website, reactivating them. Doing the same in the cloud app. No fix.

FONTS HAVING ISSUES : Source Sans pro, Open Sans, League Gothic, Fire Sans , Fire Sans 2.

The error message is : "unable to sync one…

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve seen this issue happen when you have the same Font already installed on your machine.

So you may try going to where your Fonts are installed on Windows machine – (Control panel > Fonts) and uninstall/remove the Fonts that you are unable to Sync from Adobe Fonts.

Hopefully, the problem should get resolved.

Adobe InDesign team

• 4 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you please look at the separations plate and let us know the color values.

You just have to follow simple steps:

1. Launch your InDesign
            2. Create an object say rectangle and fill your color
            3. Go to Window→Output→Separations Preview
            4. Select the drop down of View to Separations
            5. Hover over your object. The separations will show you how much % of which color component comprises the color.

Also, let me know the Platform and OS version that you are working on.
            A short video showing the issue will be very helpful.
            You can directly reach me out at sakverma@adobe.com

Thanks,
            InDesign Team

• Unable to export to pdf

Hi there, I am unable to package some of the InDesign files I am working on at the moment. It shows the error messages attached. Initially, it showed a conversion error however now this no longer shows and it just refuses to allow me to export to pdf and therefore package the document. I have no idea how to fix the issue as it doesn't give any indication at to why it isn't working which is super frustrating.

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • two font sizes listed in character panel

I am applying a paragraph style and for some reason the font size was not changing to the size specified. There is no character style applied to the text to override the paragraph style. I did notice that my character panel showed two font sizes, with the second size, the one I want, in parenthesis. Not sure what is going on here.

2 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The font size in parentheses is the new font size when the document has been resized using Liquid Layout’s Scale rule. The font size outside the parentheses is the original font size – that is, it looks like this:
                Original Font Size(New Font Size) – eg., 12 pt(8.1).
                Have you selected an Alternate Layout page where this rule was applied?

Adobe InDesign team

• InDesign 2019 scrubby zoom no longer works (command + space + click)

Prior to InDesign 2019, you can press command + spacebar + click to be able to activate the scrubby zoom feature.

Now when you press command + spacebar + click you just draw a box that once you unclick, it zooms to that space... Very undesirable..

Did a preference change on the update somewhere that I don't know about? Because I can not find this feature in the Preferences now.

Please advise.

Thanks.

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The feature you are talking about is called ‘Animated Zoom’ (it’s Mac only feature).
                  It is turned ON by default on Mac machines having a GPU card with a compatible monitor attached.
                  Check the Document Name in its tab – does it say ‘GPU Preview’? If not, press Shift+E to switch to this mode.
                  Also, check under Preferences > GPU Performance and see if ‘Animated Zoom’ is checked ON. It should be enabled for this feature to work.

Adobe InDesign team

• conflict of making your document smaller than your margins

InDesign CC 2019 v. 14

The New ”New document” dialog box doesn't give any warning of the conflict of making your document smaller than your margins allow. It just changes the width and/or height back to what it was as a default if your margins are too large and does not warn the user about it.

And if the user fails to notice that the size switches back, it will create a document that’s not the size intended. User may not even realize what is it that went wrong.

In the Legacy New Document dialog box, when you click OK,…

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

InDesign is trying to be helpful here by intelligently reverting to the last good value in the New Document dialog since it’s not possible to create a new document with the values entered by you.

We hope you find this useful.

Adobe InDesign team

• margin

margins don't keep anything inside the margins on 2019 version

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It would be helpful if you could provide more details about the exact problem you’re facing as we’re unable to make out the issue with the limited information you’ve provided above.

Adobe InDesign team

• Adjust Layout: add an option to ignore objects anchored in text or bring back legacy (2018) layout adjustment

I always made extensive use of the old layout adjustment feature in 'margins and columns', yet the new 'adjust layout' gives inconsistent and confusing results, resizing objects that never used to get changed.

It's gone from being very useful to a liability.

For me it was great for resizing the main text frame on multi-page (100s+ pages) books, but leaving the objects pasted into the text frame alone (figures, etc). Also moving page numbers aligned with margins, but not changing the sizes.

The new feature stretches and distorts carefully measured objects/figures, changes anchored object settings (at least, things move about…

2 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • no break is not working 100%

InDesign CC 14.0 no break is not working all the time. Trying to keep web address together and have no break applied but the text is still splitting even though it can fit a single line of the text box. If I change width of text box the spaces get compressed and almost looks like there is no space between words.

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Assert after closing InDesign CC 2019 Debug.

After clear installation Adobe InDesign CC 2019 Debug every time when I am closing application I have this Assert dialog box:

Interface kLanguageImpl changed but not marked dirty. First difference occurrs at offset 54

d:\development\siriusr14\source\omlib\session\pmpersist.cpp (1425)

I have only Skip and Debugger buttons. Skip open new dialog box (the same information).

There are no plugins. Only clear install.

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • InDesign Enlarges New Assets larger than their Bounding Box

Since the new update, every time I drag an image or logo, etc. into Indesign and drag out how large I want the asset to be displayed....
                            - Indesign places it (after a short delay), but makes the bounding box smaller than the actual asset. So the logo gets partially covered by the bounding box.

I'm not using the content aware sizing or anything. The bounding box should exactly match the asset as its being dragged in for the first time. Very frustrating.

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Patrick,
                              We’re sorry to hear that the latest version of InDesign is not behaving as per your expectations.
                              You said that you are not using Content Aware Sizing. However, could you check once again to see if you have enabled the setting ‘Make Content-Aware Fit the default frame fitting option’ in the Preferences dialog (under General section)?
                              Also it would be helpful if you can show us a quick demo of the issue and/or share the file (along with the asset).

Ravi Kiran
                              Adobe InDesign team

• images are missing

When opening v.2018 Indesign files or new v.2019 files, bitmap images are not displayed. Images are shown as gray boxes with an X across the box (see attached). Display settings changes do not remedy the problem.

I have to work in v.2018 until this is fixed.

ID version 14.0

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

What is the creator application of these Bitmap images? Which file format(s) are you placing in InDesign?
                                Could you also share a couple of these images as we don’t see a problem with our files?

Adobe InDesign team

• properties panel

The tutorials all show the properties panel, but it is nowhere to be found. I tried the Windows tab, no dice. It's really annoying.

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please check once after cleaning InDesign Prefs. Properties panel is available in the default Essentials workspace you see on launching InDesign. It is also available under Window menu.

Adobe InDesign team

• the file does not exist

Adobe InDesign CC 2019, pagina inizio, impossibile aprire i file presenti nella cronologia: "il file non esiste, è usato da un'altra applicazione oppure non disponete delle autorizzazione necessarie".

0 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It looks like you may be trying to open files that are shown on the Start screen but are unable to do so.

Please check that the file(s) actually exist at the same location as when they were previously opened/created. If they have been deleted/moved/renamed, etc., the Start screen will continue to show their thumbnails but you won’t be able to open them.

Let us know if this is not the case.

Adobe InDesign team

• Weird message when creating new document

Wow, that's a funny one for Friday!

Cannot create new file.
                                    The file "Unknown document" is damaged (Error code:0)

A QUIT and RESTART of InDesign fixed the problem, but you made me laugh!

Have a nice day!

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve seen this happen when InDesign is running and you try to delete its Prefs/Cache.
                                      So always make sure that you quit ID before trying to trash its prefs/cache.

Let us know if it was something else that made this error dialog pop up.

Adobe InDesign team

• When exporting a PDF to Adobe Indesign CC 14.0 (German), you can not enter individual pages in the area. The name "Custom" remains in the fi

Version: Adobe Indesign CC 14.0 (German)
                                      Export -> Benutzerdefinierte Seiten
                                      you can not enter individual pages in the area. The name "Benutzerdefinierte Seiten" remains in the field.

Result: a complete pdf with all pages

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The export specific pages of a document to PDF, you have to enter them after selecting the ‘Range’ option.

As for the name shown in the field when you select the ‘Create Separate PDF Files’ option, it is just for display, letting you know how the individual pdf files get named upon export.

Adobe InDesign team

• Color Reading Completely Incorrectly

Adobe. This is an insane problem to have not fixed.

Colors are seriously displaying incorrectly. From one program to another the colors look different and they do not at all match the way the color read in 2018.

The attached shows the same color in Indesign 2019 (left) and Illustrator 2019 (right)

This is a serious issue that people have been having since the 2019 update and I cannot believe there is not an update to fix this yet.

Every time Adobe releases an update lately I hesitate to download. The ideas behind the updates are intended to increase functionality…

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • In Design Online Post has changed with updated

We have been using the Publish online Feature for a year. Today, the lastest post displays all the hyperlinks. Attached are two browser versions. Windows looks much like Chrome. Thoughts

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base