Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

254 results found

1. Slow performance

Lately InDesign is nearly unusable. Almost every action from selecting objects, resizing objects, or moving objects comes with a really slow reaction time. Even when clicking between panels in the toolbar there is a delay of about half a second.

I have tried ruling out potential issues like updating graphic drivers and embedding all resources into the document. Nothing works it seems like the application is just unstable. Please advise, I love to work with indesign but this is overall a very bad user experience.

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Customer comments

• InDesign lags when rearranging text boxes, adding image frames, adjusting frames that already exist
    • Selecting an item (e.g. text frame) in small and really uncomplicated documents has slight but very noticeable delays/lags, almost as if the click hangs and makes the item drag a little instead of just being selected.
    • Performance degradation is observed if more than 1 document is opened
    • Creating packages (File > Package) takes so much time – especially collecting image files into the Links-folder. This behavior is generally observed with Illustrator files.
    • Performance degradation is observed while working on indd document and not with the IDML of the indd document.
    • Lag observed for almost every action from selecting objects, resizing objects, or moving objects

Troubleshooting steps tried to resolve issues

• Disable 3rd party plugins - One of the customer has tried with Suitcase Fusion but there was no improvement in the performance.

Workarounds

• Change the…
  2. Thumb nail of indesign saved files not appearing after 2019 to 2020 update

Can anyone help me with this issue, since I update to the 2020 InDesign from 2019 all my icons in saved files don't show the InDesign thumbnail is this a bug or just me being dumb?

note -
    -Files still open as normal.
    -Even if I save them in 2020 formate still no icons
    -Other adobe programs since update show Icons.

39 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

39 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Different views when switching between preview and normal mode

Strange behavior. I recently switched between preview and normal mode and InDesign showed me an older version of the document.

Most recent MacOS and InDesign Version.

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. InDesign 15.1.1 - Fonts not activating - stuck on spinning circle background tasks

I have a problem on InDesign 15.1.1 - My Creative Cloud fonts are not activating... How can I sort this out? It's stuck on the spinning blue circle of doom - the background task has been saying queued for hours now.

I need my fonts not sure what to do?? Help.

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Interactive PDF go to destination not working

Using InDesign CC 2019 14.0.1

I have a 24 page report designed for print, with an additional layer which when visible adds interactive buttons to the top left corner of each page so I can also export an interactive PDF. The buttons are:

Go to previous page
    Go to next page
    Go to destination linking to the contents page

The document also contains URL hyperlinks and the contents links to each section of the report using bookmarks, but is not set up as a TOC. I'm not using any functions under the SWF/EPUB only section.

When exported as an interactive…

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Problem in the ME version in the latest update 19.0

In the latest update of the InDesign 19.0 there is a problem with paragraph direction. Even if it is set to right to left it still remains left to right

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Incorrect re-linking of image files with rotation metadata

This bug occurs in all versions of InDesign.

InDesign reflects the EXIF orientation in the transform panel when an image file is placed. However, under the following conditions, the result of relinking will be incorrect.

• The image file is rotated 90 degrees with EXIF orientation.
    • In the transform panel, the vertical and horizontal percentage values are different.

Image files taken with an iPhone often retain the EXIF orientation rotation. If such a file is placed in indd by the client and the vertical and horizontal percentage values are different, there will be a problem that will cause drastic changes in…

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

Hi all,

We tried various scenarios with the attached file and got the following results:

1. Placed the ‘EXIF-Orientation-6.jpg’ file shared in the thread.
    -Rotation angle of the content was shown as -90°

2. Edited the .jpg file in Photoshop to just change the color and Updated the link in InDesign.
    -Rotation angle of the content was changed to 0°

3. Then placed this edited file again, as a new link, in InDesign.
    -Rotation angle was shown as 0°

Are you also seeing the same results?

-InDesign Team

8. 17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Preserve Image Dimensions when Relinking and "Auto-fit" options do not seem to work.

I am using Indesign 14.0

When I relink files, Indesign changes the scale and placement of images automatically, regardless of whether the preserve image dimensions option in the file handling box is checked or unchecked, and whether the "auto-fit" button in the tool menu is checked or uncheked.

Preferences > File Handling > "Preserve Image Dimensions when Relinking"

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Performance: Import documents / style apply

my MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) is super slow when importing word documents, search and replace styles or adapting styles. Does it improve when changing to the Mojave system? Or is there a conflict with FontExplorer X Pro. Any suggestions are welcome. I'm suffering…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In order to investigate the issue at our end we would require some more information from your side. Can you please answer the following questions to help us out:

1) Please let us know the version of InDesign on which you are facing this issue.
    2) It would really help us a lot, if you can share the documents( and other resources) with which you are facing the issue.
    3) Can you please share a small video demonstrating all the issues that you are experiencing.

Please mail this information to pgaurav@adobe.com

Thanks

11. Auto-size text boxes with rounded corners expands randomly.

Version 2018, 13.0

Set a text box to auto size height and width (with no line breaks)
    Make the corners rounded
    As you can see in the attached jpgs of before and after, sometimes the box expands in width and sometimes in height, but randomly, not wrapping around the text correctly.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Can you please mail me a sample document to reproduce the issue? I am unable to reproduce the bug.
    Is the issue only specific to 13.0? What is the reference point for the autosize?

-Aman
    amaarora@adobe.com

12. installed font missing

InDesign 13.0.1 on macOS 10.12.6

One installed font from a family of 6 suddenly started showing as not found. Frutiger LT Pro 67 Bold Condensed was correctly showing, now not.

I have re-installed InDesign twice, reinstalled the font, and rebooted several times. Font is correctly showing still in Illustrator and Photoshop.

This is impacting client files and while I have a workaround, I am concerned the problem will occur with other fonts where I don't have a viable solution. (I have another foundry version of that particular font.)

Screen shots attached.

many thanks

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please let us know if this issue still happens with the latest InDesign Release

Thanks

13. M1 Mac Graphic Problems Continue

As others have mentioned InDesign graphic performance on M1 Macs is unacceptable. This was marked as "fixed" but it continues with macOS Ventura 13.0.1 and InDesign 18. For example, the screen does not always redraw when scrolling or jumping to a different page until you move your pointer. Switching to a different program and then back to InDesign also fixes the problem for a while. It doesn't matter whether GPU Performance is on or off. This is the most fundamental functionality. Please figure it out and fix it once and for all.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Share for Review SYNC Broken

I use "Share" > "Share for Review" on a Program for review by multiple departments for edits. I received notifications of over 200 edits, but upon opening the InDesign file to begin changes, the "Window" > "Comments" > "Review" Panel data is empty and again says "Create Review".

So the connection from my online review and the source InDesign is broken. Additionally, there is no option to save that online version as a pdf to import the comments via that option in "Window" > "Comments" > "PDF Comments"

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve released an update to InDesign – 15.1.2

Please update to this latest version and see if the issues you were facing earlier have got resolved.

Remember to check how you are signed into your CC account and if need be, sign out and sign in again. Since Share for Review is a service and dependent on your login to your Adobe ID account, it is important that CCD app is working well with your credentials.

Adobe InDesign team

15. inDesign 2020 removed the zoom view box from the top menu bar

This user is much unhappy that inDesign 2020 no longer provides the zoom view box that appeared in the top menu bar, directly to the right of the help tab. That was a fast, easy way to change the view size of the file in the screen.

I was told by Adobe that this feature was dropped because the screen size view could be achieved by other existing features. Sure... now one must pull down a tab, then go to another command and activate a feature like zoom in and zoom out. And that only shifts the view in or…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The change was made to reduce the UI clutter for the user and it was moved to the bottom left of the screen in the Status bar where other controls like page navigation, preflight profiles, etc. are available.

To continue using this feature, we can suggest a simple workaround which takes less than a minute to accomplish – just open the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog, choose Views, Navigation from the Product Area drop-down, select the ‘Access zoom percentage box’ from the list of commands and assign a shortcut – example, Ctrl-Alt-5. You can customize the keyboard shortcuts as you like and save a new Keyboard Shortcut Set.

Meanwhile, we are reviewing this request.

Adobe InDesign team

16. Text cursor disappears - Mojave and InDesign CC 13.1

After upgrading to Mac OSX Mojave (10.14), using InDesign CC 13.1 ME, the text cursor disappears. All other cursors appear as expected. This happens both with the standard Text tool, and the ME Text tool.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Exporting to PNG file on network drive doesn't work

There appears to be a bug when exporting PNG files to network mapped drives in Mac OS X 10.13.4 (Darwin) Adobe InDesign 2018 (latest version).

This is in a domain environment using domain credentials. You export the file as PNG and it doesn't appear in the folder as expected. If I export to desktop it works fine, if I copy it from desktop to the share it copies fine. Just cannot export directly.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,
    Can you confirm the InDesign version you are using? Is it 2018.1 or 2018?
    I assume the path to which you are trying to export the PNG is /Volumes/Shares/011 Changed Information/002 Changed Information/00617 Changed Information/Changed/ ?

Is this drive mounted via SMB?
    Is it a NAS server?

18. CC library tab won't select?

When clicking on the dropdown menu to select a CC library, the tabs do not open unless I hold down the ^ button. When opened, I cannot select a CC library. Have refreshed several times but it still doesn't let me change the library! This is on InDesign for Mac.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi

Please provide the following information:
    1. Is InDesign installed on the default path?
    2. Do you have any special character in the path where InDesign is installed? Like username has special characters.

Also, please provide a copy of you preferences, you can zip them and email to anasgupt@adobe.com.

Regards
    Anasuiya Gupta

19. PDF Export in InDesign CC 2020 (15.0) is broken

As soon as I try to export a PDF (either with File > Export or File > Adobe PDF Presets), the background task starts but hangs at 32% and never completes. When cancelling the task, it never cancels and I need to Force Quit InDesign to cancel it.

Running Catalina with the latest version of InDesign (15.0)

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Can you please share a sample INDD file at rdubey@adobe.com with which issue is reproducible?

We tried with some custom InDesign files, but export works fine

Thanks

20. InDesign 14 opening network files as read-only

We have been using InDesign for a while with files being stored on a network SMB share. on 4/4/19, after a few folks updated to 14.02, the Indesign and Incopy files are primarily only able to be opened as read-only.

Network server permissions have been verified and no other changes have occurred in our environment.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please help us with answers to the below queries:

1. OS version of the machine where issue is reproducible.
    2.Are the files opened simultaneously by more than one user?
    3. Does the same file which is opened as Read Only in Id 14.0.2, when opened in Id 14.0.1 opens fine?
    4. Does remounting the SMB drive fixes the issue?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base