Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• or

327 results found

1. Publish Online Effects Not Displaying

I've published my document online, and when I do the image overlay isn't showing. It just shows my color block, but not the image below.

It displays properly in the thumbnail preview though. See attachment for behavior issues.

How do I resolve this?

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Variable Fonts don't display correct via PDF export

I'm very excited to see variable fonts in InDesign, thank you!

However, when using variable fonts in an InDesign document, exported PDFs show overlaps (as in the crossbar of /A), as well as inconsistent stem weights, spacing, and alignments in various glyphs. These issues occur in multiple variable fonts I've tested.

If I use static fonts or convert fonts to outlines using Type > Create Outlines these issues don't show up. These issues are present when viewing PDFs in both Acrobat and Preview (see screenshots attached). These variable fonts work fine in web browsers and other applications that support variable…

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    This has been fixed with InDesign version 15.0.2
    Please update to the latest version to check the fix

Thanks

3. interactive button

I can't get the interactive button working on Epub preview, Epub export, or publish online. Either to activate an animation or the different appearances.

I've try reinstalling indesign CC 2018, and it till won't work.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. formatted text

1. 14.0.2
    2. importing pdf comments that have bold and italic text in the replacement text
    3. that it would show as bold or italic in the pdf comment dialog box
    4. shows all text as none formatted

I can understanding it would be difficult to get that text to change to bold/italic when i click accept, but if i at least saw that it was bold/italic in the preview box i'd know to make that edit manually.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Macbook Pro Notch Cuts Into Fullscreen View

1. InDesign version 17.0.1 on MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021)
    2. Previewing a document in Full Screen (Shift + W) and returning to normal view (Shift + W or ESC).
    3. Document should be displayed below the notch, like other full screen applications do. When returning to normal view, the InDesign window should be the same size as before full screen view.
    4. The notch of the new MacBook Pro (2021) cuts into the preview. When returning to non-full screen view, the InDesign window is pushed down / resized so that the status bar is not visible.
    8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Placing an ICML file in an InDesign file ignores multiple artboards in AI files if they are embedded

If you have an AI file with multiple artboards which is an embedded anchored object in a text frame it will always revert back to the first artboard when you place the ICML in InDesign.

1. Create a new InDesign file.
    2. Create an AI file with two artboards and one simple object in each.
    3. Create a text frame in InDesign.
    4. Place the AI file in the text frame and choose the second artboard.
    5. Embed the AI file.
    6. Export the text frame as an ICML file.
    7. Place the ICML file into the document (not check in/check out).

What happens:
    1. The "Pages"…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. InDesign CC 2019 - font error issues with PDFs

When latest InDesign CC 2019 creates a PDF using certain fonts, an error message appears when opening PDF in Acrobat Pro DC: "Cannot extract the embedded font 'JLUSWO+fontname'. Some characters may not display or print correctly."

Never had this issue with previous InDesign versions. The same PDF opens, views and prints perfectly in Preview. Creating PDFs by other applications with the same font are fine.

HELP!

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of stability fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

8. Share link is low resolution

Make the web preview higher resolution.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Hairlines/artifacts randomly appearing on screen

1) InDesign 16.1 (and othre versions)

2) Place an image or object. Apply a drop shadow. Pan/scroll, zoom, enable or dissable output preview

3) Consistent rendering.

4) Glitches of bands of light or dark pixels may appear over images, in transparencies and effects. These may come and go depending on resolution preview mode, zoom and/or if overprint preview is rendered. (The lines are similar to tiling lines in PDFx1a in that they are rendering glitches presumably caused by floating point calculations)

See the thread https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/lines-appearing-in-effects-shadow-amp-gradient/m-p/11912229#M419035

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. copy object effects by drag drop not working consistently

copy object effects by drag drop (fx panel) not working consistently
    comes & goes intermittently / unreliable. both individual and grouped objects
    yes, preview is on

indesign cc 2019 Mac
    Mojave (a p.o.s. in and of itself)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Vector graphics randomly vanish upon transformation in high quality display mode

If I have a simple InDesign document with a placed .ai or .pdf graphic, and set display quality to "high quality", then proceed to transform the frame using ctrl+shift+drag, the content of the frame will randomly disappear. To get it to display again I have to zoom in or out, or toggle between preview mode. Where multiple objects are on the page sometimes just the one I'm transforming will go, and sometimes others will vanish as well. See the attached video for a demonstration.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Effects / blending mode

InDesign 16.4 x Windows 64: Cannot scroll the list of blending modes with arrow key(s) and preview the results in a selected box. I've always been able to do this in the past (InDesign CS 2, 4, 6). New laptop, new Adobe subscription. I can 'scroll,' but no preview. Window closes each time, so at least 30 clicks to re-open and select through the list.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi everyone,

The behavior mentioned here has been there since InDesign CC (that came out more than 8 years ago in 2013).
    Behavior in InDesign CS6 (and earlier) was different.

Please confirm if you were seeing different behavior in any of the CC versions. Illustrator also behaves the same way.

Adobe InDesign team

13. indesign export

I export a pdf and then decide I want to make a tweak. So I tweak the indesign file, re-export my pdf, and then the pdf doesn't update the preview! I have to re-export TWICE in order for the pdf to be updated. Anybody else having this problem?

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi

Please provide the following information:
    1. Which version of InDesign are you using?
    2. On which OS are you seeing this issue? Win or Mac?
    3. This issue is reproducible with each and every file or with some specific files?

Regards
    Anasuiya Gupta

14. balance columns + Span Columns = freeze

Version: Indesign 2021; 16.0

In a 2-column text box with "Balance columns" on, I applied "Span Columns: All" to a line of text. If I hit "OK" or turn on the preview, then Indesign freezes until I Force-Quit.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Unable to see Preset Templates in New Document

When I try to open a New Document and find a template, all I can see are black boxes with a description. If I click on Preview I do not get one. Please see screenshot. How can I fix this?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Paragraph Return is changed into Paragraph Separator (U+2029)

Version: Indesign CC 2018 and Incopy CC 2018

The bug as described on https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2344905 still exists in the latest version.

During the exporting INDD into IDML, the error below occurs.
    Certain Paragraph Return (\r) is changed into 'PARAGRAPH SEPARATOR'(U+2029) and the first sentence’s paragraph style is changed into the paragraph style of the second sentence which makes two sentences into one.
    Every time this bug occurs, we have to open the INDD file and change “U+2029” into another character such as “space” and export it again.
    Finally we found out that this error occurs when 8000th character is “Paragraph Return…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  IDML Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

17. Drag-duplicating an object with Alt key pressed does not duplicate, if moving on a separate page

If I try to duplicate an object to another page, across the pasteboard border, by holding the Alt key and dragging with mouse, the object only moves there. If I want to duplicate an object to another page, I have to first duplicate it on the same page and then move it to another page.

However, as that is unintuitive, I still constantly try to duplicate an object across the page border, leading me to undo back after I find out the object didn't actually duplicate, but instead I have moved the original object (and oftentimes edited it a lot…

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    In Backlog  ·  Nikhil Kedia responded

Issue is still seen in 'Immediate' Live Screen Drawing mode, when pressing alt in between the drag while copying to another spread

18. Share for Review 'highlight' and 'strike through' issues

The share for review 'highlight' function and 'strike through' function are not visible in the host's files or the online preview. When one of our designers creates a document and then shares it with the team for review we receive a notification that text has been highlighted. When you navigate to the online preview or to the original indesign working file the notification lives in the share for review box but no text is highlighted so you don't know where the intended edit is. The same happens with the strike through function. Pinned items or using the marker tool…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. applying colour to grayscale images against coloured background previews incorrectly

When I place a grayscale jpg in a frame with a background colour of C100/Y85/M0/K38 and apply a colour of C0 / M84 / Y100 K13, it displays correctly, red image against blue background. When I export that to PDF, the PDF preview shows no red, and a black box with the grayscale image knocked out in blue. When I open that in Acrobat Pro, it again displays correctly.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Buttons/interactivity not working

Buttons and interactivity not working. I'm working on a MAC, latest MacOS, latest versions of all things Adobe. On export of my document to PDF, hover states no longer show for buttons, there's a huge lag on the response from buttons, and I'm also having a bizarre issue with clicks of buttons creating a box the shape of the button that is a preview of the page its supposed to jump to. All of this worked fine for me until a few weeks ago and all of a sudden, it no longer functions. Can anybody suggest ways to troubleshoot and…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base