Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• or

605 results found

1. QR generated by text variable

Would be great if you could generate a QR Code from a text variable. Just for automation purposes. For instance on datasheets or brochures, where a single URL is used throughout in text, but also as a QR code on the last page.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. font search

Have text or text box highlighted and want to select new font. Go to type in the Character box for a font I know I have, but it will not recognise it (happens with multiple fonts, not one particular one). If I then open the menu and scroll down the list and manually select the font I want, I can then type it in.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Font name incorrect when a character style is applied

If you make a character style that applies "Bold" (or some other font style) and then apply it to text, the font name changes incorrectly in the Font field of the Properties panel or Control panel.

For example, if the character style applies "Bold" and you apply it to text set to Minion Pro, then the font name changes to "Minion Pro Bold" and the style also changes to Bold.

This is incorrect. In older version of InDesign it worked correctly: The font name should stay "Minion Pro" and the style should change to "Bold"

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Font menu doesn't jump to the selected font in the list when font menu preview is enabled

Pre-Indesign 18.0 when accessing the font menu it jumps to the position in the list of the current font.

The same action in indesign 18.0 - the current font is selected in the Recent Fonts section as the top of the list. This is quite annoying.

If Front Preview is disabled in preferences, the pre-18.0 behaviour is the result, but of course there is then no preview.

EDIT: I set Type preferences - Number of recent font to display = 0 which has resolved my issue.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. avenir font glitch, HELP

Recently did Indesign update, now my Avenir font glitches across all of my documents and comes up as gibberish. Sometimes if I close Indesign and reopen it will view fine, other times it will not. Typically it will not view correctly. This is a basic system font. I cleared all fonts on my system and did a restart incase an installed font was causing the issue, it was not the issue. My co-worker is having the same issue as well on her end.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. installed font missing InDesign 17.2 macOS 12.3 (Monterey) and macOS Catalina

Different clients have the same problem. Installed fonts on the system are not recognised by InDesign 17.2. Other Adobe applications recognise the font and it can be used in those applications. I can recreate the problem, my colleague not. After downgrading InDesign to version 17.01 everything works fine.

135 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We've just released InDesign 17.2.1 version which addresses this issue.

Please update to this latest version using Creative Cloud Desktop application.

In case the fix does not work immediately for you, please try the following:

1) Quit InDesign.

2) Delete the following:

on Mac:

/Users/[yourname]/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign

/Users/[yourname]/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign

on Win:

C:\Users\[yourname]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign

C:\Users\[yourname]\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign

Relaunch InDesign & see if it works properly now.

--

InDesign team

7. font size

InDesign 13.1.x64

When you have two monitors, the main with 125% font size and the secondary with 100% font size, the mouse pointer didn't work well on secondary screen when selecting menu options.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Changing font in Character Panel frequently causes a crash in Indesign CC 2018

Since 2018 version, changing a font in the character panel frequently crashes the application, but not 100% of the time. Font worked fine in older version and sometimes works fine in 2018, but the same issue has happened a good few times in the last week or so.

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support all this while. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

9. Character Panel/Properties Panel font display font not correct for GREP-Styles

Indesign CC 14.0.1, x64

IF a GREP-style is at work formatting found text-style-ranges, then the font style dropdown in character panel/properties panel/control panel, may not correctly reflect the font in a selection . Please see screenshot attached.

In the screenshot, a paragraph format grep style has applied a character style "bold" to the word "Foto:" and "Text:". The user has selected the characters OT from the word "Foto:" as an example. The character panel font style should say "Bold", ... as you can see "Light caps" is NOT correct.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. The Myriad Variable Concept typefaces do not print with InDesign.

I have used various Myriad Variable Concept weights/widths and they do not print. They do, however, with Illustrator. Version 15.0.1

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Font window

Font window frozen in center of screen, won't go away. Using Indesign 18.0 for MacOS.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Font issue inDesign 2023

I'm getting a font issue when I use 2023. If I go back to 2022 the issues disappears. The font is loading fine in both versions. Any idea why this is happening?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. InDesign CC 2018 macOS High Sierra - BUG FIX REQUEST - Text Variable File Extension

Steps: TYPE/ TEXT VARIABLE/ DEFINE/ FILE NAME/ EDIT / Select or de-select "Include File Extension"

Expected results: Should be able to add or remove file extension by select or de-selecting the "Include File Extension" check box.

Actual results: File extension cannot be removed by un-checking the "Include File Extension" box, when adding a text variable under the File name field... See attached...

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. unable to change font, size, style in Script UI, alignment problem with Image on button

Unable to perform basic features such as changing of text Font, Styles, Sizes in CC's scriptUI.
    Alslo image in button way OFF alignment.

This result in uglier customized UIs than it's older versions.
    As the world population is getting older, the ability to have bigger font size and style is really needed.

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Thanks for reporting the issue.
    We are reviewing it

-InDesign Team

15. finding font instance

Using the Find Font menu utility, I highlight the missing font then click Find Next, which many times does not work even if there are many instances of the font. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Very frustrating.

IDCS13.0.1, mac

and

THIS IS NOT AN IDEA -- it is a BUG ... try saying "BUG". Now write it out. See, it's hot so hard, is it?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. font cache

Fonts in Document fonts folder are not removeable anymore.
    I’m a typedesigner and check fonts by generating them into a Document fonts folder. In the past the fonts were always at once updated in Indesign, when I overwrote the fontfile. This does not work anymore.
    What is worse. A font that I generated into the folder is still visible in the font menue of the document, and I can still select and use it, even if the file does not exist anymore on the computer. It only disappears if I cut the internet. So…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Licensing restriction in the Font issue, while using a FREE FONT

Cannot export a PDF file while using a handwriting Font from many sources, even though they are Licence free.

Here is the font Im trying (https://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar/de_DE.CMS.displayCMS.209793./schriften) after off course talked to the company asking for this issue. They confirm the font is free to use.

Secondly I tryied differente font source and the problem remains.

Any idea?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Missing Font error after upgrading

After the upgrading to cc 2019 , the older fonts which were installed in machine is giving missing font error, every time i have to sync the fonts. I am using windows 10 standard edition. Here is the screen shot of the error.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. InDesign CC 2019 - font error issues with PDFs

When latest InDesign CC 2019 creates a PDF using certain fonts, an error message appears when opening PDF in Acrobat Pro DC: "Cannot extract the embedded font 'JLUSWO+fontname'. Some characters may not display or print correctly."

Never had this issue with previous InDesign versions. The same PDF opens, views and prints perfectly in Preview. Creating PDFs by other applications with the same font are fine.

HELP!

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of stability fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

20. Forced line breaks within text variables introduces an unavoidable letter space

When a forced line break is inserted within text that is used for a variable, a random, unavoidable letter space is introduced into the variable text.
    There are obvious workarounds, but a solution to this would be really convenient.
    See attached screenshots for example.

67 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're happy to announce that the fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign - version 17.2 that is available from Creative Cloud Desktop application.

Please update to this latest version to get the fix.

--

Adobe InDesign team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base