Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

37 results found

1. Spell check not working

I have installed the latest version of ID, and the spell check is not working. It does not detect misspelled words.

44 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Based on emails we have recieved from you all, we were able to figure out that issue was either not reproducible or that the feature was not being used correctly.
    Closing this issue was for now. Let us know in case you encounter the issue again

-InDesign Team

2. InDesign False Ligatures Bug

InDesign sometimes, seemingly randomly, replaces pairs such as hn, il, io, sy, ek, etc. with completely wrong glyph, such as accented Y, U, etc., when regular Ligature setting is applied. This has been a problem since CS5 and we recently had it occur in CC2015, so it is still there. Affected fonts have been many over the years, including licensed Adobe fonts. Fonts can be Open Type or PostScript. Language setting can be English US, UK, or seemingly anything else. The only thing that works to avoid it is to turn off Ligatures which is generally unacceptable, so the only…

31 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    We are unable to reproduce the issue in-house.

In case you have some consistent steps to reproduce the issue from scratch, please feel free to send a mail at amaarora@adobe.com or start a new thread on this portal

Thanks

3. Indesign performance issue : CC 2019 uses all the system memory on Mojave

So basically i cant't use InDesign since updating to the new version. Even if it's idle without anything open, it starts to use up all the system memory in macOs Mojave.

This is what happens:
    1. Open InDesign
    2. Doesn't matter if im working or it's just open
    3. After about 5 minutes, there's a system alert of Mojave saying, InDesign is using 550 GB of system memory and there's nothing left to work with.

System:
    iMac Pro (macOS Mojave 10.14)
    3 GHz Intel Xeon W (10 cores)
    64 GB RAM
    Radeon Pro Vega 64

It's a new iMac with…

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Color theme tool pop-up window unable to be closed

I'm running Adobe Indesign 14.0.1
    To recreate, select the color theme tool and click anywhere on a placed image, a small horizontal color theme menu pops up with five swatches and a few other buttons to the right of the swatches, and then never goes away. Ever. There is no option to hide or close the window and while I appreciate having a palette to pick from on my screen, I went with my own palette for this project and the color theme tool was unnecessary.

There needs to be some way to hide or close this small window that…

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Style Override Highlighter not highlighted when in use

When I make some style changes in my text, the "Style Override Highlighter" marks theses changes. Great feature, no problem at all.

But when I 1) quit InDesign and 2) start it again, the changed text is highlighted but the "Style Override Highlighter" icon [+a] is highlighted not at all.

Solution shortcurt: Click on [+a] in character style panel, then on [+a] in paragraph style panel and it should behave the way it should. But it would be better if it'd be working the way it should.

German InDesign 2020, Mac OSX 10.14.16

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Since for most of issue the issue no longer occurs, or is resolved after cleaning InDesign cache and preferences, we are closing the issue

Thanks

6. Adobe Fonts automatically substituting versions of fonts that are document-stalled

When I open an InDesign file that has been packaged with all the fonts (non-Adobe Fonts) included in the Document fonts folder, if I happen to have the same version of the font activated in Adobe Fonts, InDesign automatically, and without warning, substitutes the Adobe Fonts version. This is a major problem. The heirarchy should be document-installed fonts FIRST, then InDesign can look in Adobe Fonts and suggest replacing it. This should not be done without warning in the background. It means that the person who was working in a package workflow without using any Adobe Fonts can send a…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Color Settings change to Emulate InDesign 2.0

Color Mode changes from whatever is set in InDesign when switching app from Adobe Photoshop to InDesign (latest versions) ... I am getting the same problem when switching from Photoshop to the latest Illustrator as well.

Problem Occurs even when InDesign (and Illustrator) are both shut down. After launching Photoshop and then shutting Photoshop down, Color Settings in InDesign and Illustrator are both changed to "Emulate".

PLEASE FIX IMMEDIATELY!!!! THIS IS A HUGE PROBLEM and impacts my workflow horribly as I am back-and-forth between these applications regularly.

I have checked Bridge as well... and default is set to North American…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Page panel and some others have some problems

Hi, I'm using Indesign CC (13.1 x64) on Windows 10. After the last upgrade (past week) there is a problem with the pages panel (see attached images): the last raw of page are without number (it seems it's hide under the panel frame) and even if i try to extend at maximum the panel, those numbers are still under the frame.
    Also I had the same problem with the link panel, but solved it extending the panel.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

9. InDesign crashes when adding Cross-Reference

Adobe InDesign CC 14.0 (Macintosh)

I click Window > Type & Tables > Cross-References. With my cursor in a text box, I click "Create new cross-reference". Sometimes it crashes here; sometimes it opens the dialog.

When it opens the dialog, there is nothing in the Cross-Reference Format dropdown. I can click the pencil and open the Cross-Reference Format dialog and create a new format, but when I click OK the whole program crashes and closes out.

I am not experiencing freezing where I need to force-close -- it closes out completely, immediately.

I created a blank doc and am able…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

10. Indesign 15.1.1 crashing when placing an AI file

Indesign 15.1.1 crashes every time when trying to place an AI file of a map that was originally exported from ArcGIS. Maps are complex, but I have never had a problem placing them before this update.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

11. Find/Change crashes InDesign

Find/Change crashes everytime, if i apply say for example find ^^^ and replace with end of paragraph, and i apply on entire document or even say 4 pages, it hangs indefnitely and then I have to kill the process in Task Manager. I t does this everytime. So I am forced to work on each page and I have a 500 page book to format.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

12. InDesign crashing when you try and copy and paste with GPU turned on

InDesign crashing when you try and copy and paste with GPU turned on. Turned off works normally

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. BUG with master text frames, master pages and "allow pages to shuffle"

Hello,

Latest Indesign CC on Windows 10 64bits.

I have a document, with a master page template applied to all pages in the document. There are master text frames inside the master page template, perfectly aligned with the margins on each left, and right page. In my master page template, I have set up the following margins for left pages :

top : 46pt
    bottom : 46pt
    outside : 56pt
    inside : 46pt

And the right pages margins set up as follow :

top : 46pt
    bottom : 46pt
    outside : 46pt
    inside : 46pt

On the left pages, I…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

14. CC library icons (svg files) not copying over correctly

Version: inDesign 2020

When I drag, copy over, or place a linked icon (svg/eps) file from our corporate CC library, it only displays a white box.

I have asked a couple of coworkers to try the same thing and they don't have any issues.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    We are unable to reproduce the bug with the information provided. In case the issue arises again, please feel free to create a new thread with more information.

Thanks

15. InDesign "hangs" when exporting to InCopy:

MAC, OS 15.10.3, InDesign 2020:
    Problems exported via InCopy (hangs and hangs and sometimes crashes) YES I have updated InCopy too. InDesign will no longer export IDML files (could this be due to no longer available to open in CS6?)

Unfortunately, I am the only person who has upgraded to Catalina.

Id this an Adobe fix or an Apple OS fix?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

17. QR codes genenerated don't work with the last version of Indesign 16.3.2

QR codes genenerated don't work with the last version of Indesign 16.3.2

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. InDesign book has .INDD file extension

I noticed that in v. 15.1.2 an InDesign "book" file no longer has the .INDB extension, but is now an .INDD. If that is intentional, Adobe needs to update the User Guide at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/user-guide.html/indesign/using/creating-book-files.ug.html

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Crash when continuing to place text from Word

Hello.

When I try to continue to place text from any Word document Indesign crashes. It actually won't crash by "itself", it just stops working.

I have followed the steps you outlined here: https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html#Howtosubmitcrashreports

to submit a crash report. However, since I have to Force quit it I cannot get the report crash dialogue.

MacOSX version: 10.14.6
    Indesign version: Any from 14.0.3 to 15.1.2

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2023(v18.2.1.455) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

20. ID freezes when selecting several characters

When trying to select several characters in inDesign 15.1.1.x64 under Windows 10 v1909 Home, the app inevitably freezes up.. This happens when selecting with the mouse as well as when using the arrow keys. So far I couldnʼt find any workaround. I consider this a lethal bug since it makes adequate editing a virtual impossibility. My subscription version is up to date.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2023(v18.2.1.455) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base