InDesign CC 2019, GPU enablement on Mac

InDesign CC 2019 14.0
macOS Mojave 10.14
Mac Pro 5.1 (mid 2012)
SAPPHIRE Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB GDDR5

Photoshop CC GPU Performance - ok
Illustrator CC GPU Performance - ok
InDesign CC... GPU incompatible???
In addition, there are icon discolorations (only InDesign). Sometimes this effect occurs, sometimes not. The color of discoloration can be different.

31 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tomasz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Burkhard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's the next step? Weeks ago I sent you the complete SPX system information - including the user configuration - by e-mail to Sumi Garg. Do we receive a message about your findings?

• RY commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mac Pro (late 2013)
    MacOS 10.13.6
    Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5, 3.7 GHz, 4 Cores
    32 GB RAM
    GPU: 2 AMD FirePro D700

Displays:
    Cintiq 27QHDT:
    Resolution: 2560 x 1440 (QHD/WQHD - Wide Quad High Definition)
    UI Looks like: 2560 x 1440 @ 60 Hz
    Connection Type: Thunderbolt

LG ULTRAWIDE:
    Resolution: 3440 x 1440 (UWQHD - Ultra-Wide Quad HD)
    UI Looks like: 3440 x 1440 @ 60 Hz
    Connection Type: Thunderbolt

• Therise Duck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not sure if this will help anyone, but it sure saved me! I just ignore the incompatible GPU message, BUT under Preferences -- interface -- Options make sure you have these settings:
    Hand Tool: Slide Over to Higher Quality.
    Live Screen Drawing -- choose Never
    and uncheck Greek Vector Graphics on Drag

for some reason this has totally rid me of the problem! Wish you all luck. Let me know if this helps you also.

• Jasper Johal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a Mac Pro (Late 2013) with two AMD FirePro D700 graphic cards. InDesign says no compatible GPU and monitor not detected! What?

Running MacOS Mojave 10.14.4
    Auto updated version of InDesign: 14.0.2

• Therise Duck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm having a similar problem with InDesign. It's becoming a big issue and I simply can't use the program for anything other than minor projects. It's exceptionally slow when I'm in Overprint Preview. I've tried many things and even sat on the phone with Adobe support as they controlled my screen attempting to resolve the issue. But they couldn't and suggested I post my concern here. I've attached screen caps of my system details.
    I'm using the latest Adobe software. Illustrator and photoshop are fine. It's just InDesign.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mac Pro (Late 2013)
    Mojave 10.14.4
    Adobe InDesign CC 2019
    AMD FirePro D700 6GB X 2
    LG 4K Monitor
    I am experiencing the same error.

"No compatible GPU and monitor detected."

When can I use InDesign CC with GPU errors fixed?

• Burkhard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problem with InDesign 14.0.2 (Creative Cloud Complete Subscription). I get "no compatible GPU and monitor detected", both options are disabled and grayed out. Using an iMac 27" Late 2013 with 32GB memory and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB under MacOS Mojave 10.14.4.

The NVIDIA GPU is available in Photoshop 20.0.4 and Illustrator 23.0.3! How embarrassing is that? InDesign programmers aren't able to do that?

• Kevin Yurasovich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue here. I get "Compatible GPU and Monitor detected." but the options are both unchecked and grayed out. Using a 15in" 2017 MacBook Pro on MacOS Mojave 10.14.4

• Darren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have experienced the same issues with my Mac Pro (late 2010) with an upgraded Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 gb and a Dell 27" 4K monitor. Still no detection of GPU and monitor. Tech support told me that both Apple and Adobe need version updates. I contacted Apple tech support and they confirmed that my hardware is compatible with Adobe's requirements. Sounds like Adobe needs to look into the matter a bit deeper since there are quite a few users that are experiencing this issue. Let's hope the next update will resolve this problem.

Aside from the GPU Performance, I have noticed major hesitation with the program, moving elements around, trying to click on objects and there's a long delay. Also when selecting the objects, if I click longer on it, it becomes stuck or attached to the cursor so when moving the mouse, the object moves with it even though I'm not pressing the mouse anymore. Very frustrating.

• Benjamin Chod commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adobe InDesign is the best possible application in the best of all possible worlds! So...
    • Quit complaining.
    • Keep the shekels flowing to San Jose.
    • Be happy that you're allowed to use Adobe AnyThing!

So what if my Sapphire Pulse RX 580 with 8GB DDR exceeds Adobe's InDesign/Apple requirements?

So what if my GPU card supports OpenCL 2.1 and OpenGL 4.5?

So what if scrolling around my pages makes my images render like an Atari 8-bit display?

It's ONLY $50/month!

Honestly, after all this, I'm switching back to CS6. I've had enough. Thankfully I can Time Machine my way back to Sierra/High Sierra. Then I can use that monthly $50 and put it toward an "HiDPI Monitor."

• MSo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue.
    Photoshop CC GPU Performance - ok
    Illustrator CC GPU Performance - ok
    InDesign CC... GPU incompatible???

macOS High Sierra
    Version 10.13.6 (17G5019)
    iMac (27 pouces, fin 2012)
    Processeur 3,2 GHz Intel Core i5
    Mémoire 8Go 1600 MHz DDR3
    Disque de démarrage Macintosh HD
    Graphisme NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1024 Mo

• P Sama commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue. Mac Pro with AMD FirePro 300 no longer supported for GPU Performance, even though previous versions used it just fine. Also, InDesign CC 2019 is crawling on both my 8-core Mac Pro with 64 GB RAM and high spec 2017 MacBook Pro.

This is tragic for Adobe.

• Mads commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
    MacOS Mojave 10.14.3
    2,9 GHz Intel Core i9
    Radeon Pro Vega 20 4080 MB-grafik
    InDesign 14.0.1

MENU: InDesign CC / preferences / GPU Performance...

It says "Compatible GPU and Monitor detected" but the it is greyed out and unchecked - option to check mark is locked.

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The standard Mac Pros AMD Radeon FirePro D300 ist also not compatible with InDesign CC 2019.
    (Mac OS Mojave/2560x1440 pixel Monitor)
    How can it be that InDesign is not compatible with a standard Mac Pro Configuration? Unbelievable.
    :-(((((

AMD Radeon FirePro D700, this is the specification.
    However, my system is also disabled in Indesign CC 2019.

I'm still on High Sierra, did the performance get better with Mojave? My MacBook Pro 2016 is really having a tough time with Indesign…

I'm having the same/simulair problem. Photoshop and Illustrator works good, even the 2018 version of InDesign still works. But InDesign CC 2019 says "Compatible GPU and Monitor not detected". Luckly I don't have the problem with the discoloration of icons.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base