Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Import PDF Comments - New Bugs identified

We're facing below issues in the new feature, called 'Import PDF Comments':

(1) If text frames are overlapped and grouped, PDF comments are not embedding correctly, also updating in wrong places (please refer the attachment 1_Error1.png)
    (2) PDF comments are not embedding correctly for the grouped frames (please refer the attachment 2_Error2.png)
    (3) PDF comments are not embedding correctly for the sub-frames (please refer the attachment 3_Error3.png)
    (4) PDF comments are not embedding correctly inside table cells (please refer the attachment 4_Error4.png)
    (5) PDF comments are not embedding correctly when the fonts are missing (please refer the attachment 4_Error5.png)

Please…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  PDF Comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

2. SVG Font Designation Not Shown in Find Font

If a font is an SVG font, InDesign shows the square box "SVG" designation in the font dropdown. However, if you view the font info under Find Font (Type>Find Font), the font type does not show as SVG. There is no way to determine if an SVG font was used in the file other than to view in the font dropdown. That is a problem as SVG fonts are not supported in PDF yet and will not be caught by preflight. Can the SVG designation be added to the Find Font info screen?

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3

3. Paragraph Return is changed into Paragraph Separator (U+2029)

Version: Indesign CC 2018 and Incopy CC 2018

The bug as described on https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2344905 still exists in the latest version.

During the exporting INDD into IDML, the error below occurs.
    Certain Paragraph Return (\r) is changed into 'PARAGRAPH SEPARATOR'(U+2029) and the first sentence’s paragraph style is changed into the paragraph style of the second sentence which makes two sentences into one.
    Every time this bug occurs, we have to open the INDD file and change “U+2029” into another character such as “space” and export it again.
    Finally we found out that this error occurs when 8000th character is “Paragraph Return…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Idml Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

4. Placed ICML files do not appear in the Assignments panel

Placed InCopy ICML files should appear in the Assignments panel. They do not. This is under InDesign CC2018.1.

The only step needed to reproduce this is to create an InCopy file. Save it and then place in InDesign.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

5. World-Ready composer breaks hyperlinks for Publish Online

When the WR composer is applied to text, it breaks hyperlinks when the document is published via Publish Online. The hyperlinks work fine when the document is sent to PDF. The hyperlinks work fine when the WR composer is changed to the Adobe Paragraph Composer.
    This is to correct the title of this bug report, please reference it: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/33786565-publish-online-breaks-hyperlinks

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

6. Moving objects between layers using the layers panel doesn't always work

I struggle with moving objects between different layers in an InDesign document by using the layers panel. Often it takes two or more attempts to move objects. I wonder if it's the tolerance of the buttons or if this is genuinely a bug.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Redraw problems when having multiple Textboxes in a Textflow (Often used in DatabasedPublishing)

macOS: 10.13.6
    InDesign: 14.0.2.

When placing a Text-Frame that Adjusts in height inside of a "Master-Textframe" (Often used in DatabasedPublishing to paginate Products that should not split between columns etc.) InDesign fails to redraw the placements of other Objects correctly - AND IT EXPORTS TO PDF!

This is horrible and has already lead to some huge problems in big Projects where we needed to work this way but InDesign made it a pain.

See attached Video for clarification.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Weight remains on text when exported to pdf even if changed to zero.

I am using InDesign CC 2019 14.01 x64.

Once a stroke weight has been added, if you then change the stroke weight back to zero, then when you export to pdf the pdf will have a stroke weight added to the text, even though the indesign document looks correct. It may not have the original amount of weight that was added, but it will definitely have what looks to be around a .2 weight added.

However, if you were to start a new document, then add stroke weight, then click edit - undo stroke weight, then it would export to…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. error encountered reading image

1. InDesign CC 2019 (14.0)
    2. Import large clipped .psd file (~880 mb) into mechanical
    3. Image placed as requested
    4. Error message received suggesting image is corrupt (note: export of InDesign file as idml and opened in 2018 to import image achieves desired result, suggesting image is not corrupt)

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. InDesign performance issue: Slow on documents present on server

it's not an idea, but a problem. Indesign creates problems on the network and is very slow with server documents, as never before. The media told me to work locally, but I ask Adobe to solve the problem. Windows 10 64 bit - Intel processor 32 GB of ram.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. InDesign CC Server 2018.1 crashes when applying masterSpread to a page

InDesign CC Server 2018.1 crashes when applying masterSpread to a page.
    The code attached in file "Script.txt" crashes when executing "item.appliedMaster = masterSpread;".
    The file "File.indd" is on which I execute the script.
    I works properly in InDesign CS6 and InDesign CC 2018.1.
    I've been searching on Internet and I couldn't find any issue similar to mine.
    I think it is a bug but maybe I'm missing something prior to execute that sentence.
    Thanks.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

The fix for this issue is now available in the beta builds of InDesign. You can download the latest beta build from Download section of InDesign Prerelease portal.

1. Go to adobeprerelease.com
    2. Log in with your Adobe Id.
    3. Once logged in, search for “InDesign CC Developers Prerelease” program in the list.
    4. Click on the program to join the same.
    5. You can now download InDesign Server 2019.0.3 installers (14.0.3.418) from “Download” section on the page.
    6. The steps for installing the build can be found in the release notes

12. links labeled as "modified" when actually "OK"

ID= v13.1
    MacOS= 10.13.4

Problem: Open any ID file and links that should be "OK" are labeled as "modified". I do not get any error window that pops up notifying me this. Without taking any action, I close the ID file and reopen it and links are now labeled as "OK". Open it up a third time and links are "OK". I QUIT out of ID and open that same file and see links as "OK" and now they are labeled as "modified". This process repeats. Attached video to show. All links in these ID files are not modified or…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while, We have concluded our investigation into the issue and below is our finding.

This issue is due to the use of a specific version of Extensis Universal Type client: version 6.1.6.
    The issue is reproducible only with Id 2018 as Extensis UTC 6.1.6 is not compatible with Id 2019.

Please note:
    If you are using Extensis UTC 6.1.6 with InDesign 2018 please use any other version of Extensis UTC which is compatible with Id 2018 to avoid this issue.

Or you can upgrade to Id 2019 and used compatible version of Extensis UTC.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

13. Display not properly refreshed

In the latest versions the screen often isn't refreshed properly. Only after rescaling or changing to Preview mode the old data is hidden.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. HTML Export Endnotes with Hyperlinks

Version: InDesign CC 2018 - 13.1

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Use the endnote feature and in one of the endnotes (preferably after the first one), add a hyperlink.

2. Export the InDesign document to HTML

Expected Result: All endnote references are hyperlinked and the numbers for each endnote are backlinked back to the reference.

Actual Result: Endnote number is missing for all endnotes after the hyperlink that was added to the endnote and no linking occurs after the manual hyperlink.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

15. Exporting Emojis to PDF

I built a newsletter with the use of the new Apple Emoji "glyphs" in InDesign and when I went to export it as a PDF, it replaced my emojis with random images from my file.

I talked with Adobe support and learned that only vector emojis can be used in PDFs which is a bit frustrating! Can we update the PDF export capability to include these new emoji features, so we can use the glyphs like I think that they were intended? I'd be a happy camper!! Thank you in advance!

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Tab controls are buggy. InDesign CC 2018

When using the Tabs control dialogue box all sorts of problems begin to manifest. First, as you are working with the tabs controls page elements go sideways. Text overlaps, sometimes entire paragraphs preceding the area you are working in.

On occasion, the tabs simply don't line up to where you assign them, even when you do so numerically. (See screenshot)

Settings for paragraph styles take precedence over tabs settings (even though tabs traditionally were the opposite, taking precedence.)

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. png transparent background showing black

Importing this icon and the transparent background is showing as black in current inDesign CC. Didn't have issues with similar icons from same site.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Effects/Transparency  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Opening file in Adobe InDesign CC 2018 prevents same file from opening in InCopy CC 2018

InCopy CC 2018 users get kicked out of file if file is opened in InDesign CC 2018. InCopy CC 2018 cannot open files create in InDesign CC 2018. See attachment.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Multiple listings of same font in Find Font menu

There are multiple listings of the same font in the Find Font menu in CC2019. All information is the same, all applied characters are the same, but there is odd behavior.

--FileA_CC2019_WithDocumentsfontsfolder.png shows double listing of Trade Gothic LT Pro Roman.

--FileA_CC2019_WithoutDocumentfontsfolder.png (when I take away access to Document fonts folder, no other changes), one instance switches to "Regular" instead of "Roman"

--FileA_CC2017_WithDocumentfontsfolder.png shows what happens with I open this file in CC2017 (no double listing)

--FileA_CC2017_WithoutDocumentfontsfolder.png (Document fonts folder hidden) shows what happens with I open this file in CC2017 (no double listing)

I process large volumes of files;…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Text cursor disappears - Mojave and InDesign CC 13.1

After upgrading to Mac OSX Mojave (10.14), using InDesign CC 13.1 ME, the text cursor disappears. All other cursors appear as expected. This happens both with the standard Text tool, and the ME Text tool.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base