Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6428 results found

1. 70 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

2. Forced line breaks within text variables introduces an unavoidable letter space

When a forced line break is inserted within text that is used for a variable, a random, unavoidable letter space is introduced into the variable text.
    There are obvious workarounds, but a solution to this would be really convenient.
    See attached screenshots for example.

67 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're happy to announce that the fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign - version 17.2 that is available from Creative Cloud Desktop application.

Please update to this latest version to get the fix.

--

Adobe InDesign team

3. Arabic exported to EPUB (Fixed Layout) doesn't show properly

• InDesign 15.1.2 / Mac OS 10.15.6

• Create an InDesign document with Arabic content. Apply any Arabic font.

• When exporting to EPUB (Fixed Layout) we should see the Arabic text appear in the epub viewer in similar manner as it shows in InDesign document.

• The exported epub document is viewed in Apple's Books application, and Adobes Digital Editions 4.5 with similar problems in both epub viewers, where all Arabic text is either invisible or messed up and shifted from its location.

• Attached images from InDesign document, and epub file which was exported from InDesign.

• Links from…

66 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 65 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There are many internal as well as external factors that can cause the InDesign application to crash/freeze/hang.

A few workarounds are listed at https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/crash-on-launch.html.

We would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

5. InDesign CC 2018/High Sierra - Cannot package files

Since updating to High Sierra I am not able to package files. The error message is simply "Unable to package the document. InDesign cannot access '(file name'.indd).

I am using InDesign CC 13.0.1 on macOS High Sierra 10.13.1

Don't know if this is of any use or not, but also if I try using my bulk packaging script, the error I get is "undefined is not an object (line 186)

65 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,
    The issue has been fixed with Apple’s MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4 Beta (17E139).

You can try out the fix by updating your machine to the beta update from Apple.
    Let us know if the issue is fixed for you after aforementioned High Sierra beta update.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

6. Do not use Osaka font for PDF page information

When exporting a PDF with the Japanese version of InDesign for Mac, the Osaka font is used for the characters in the page information. If there are voiced or semi-voiced sound marks of Japanese characters in the file name, an error will be displayed and the characters will be garbled because Osaka does not support those characters.

1. Name the indd file "だじづでど.indd".
    2. Export the PDF.
    3. An error is displayed and the file name of the page information is garbled.

Osaka is no longer a very old font on the Mac. Don't use Osaka now.

Use a font that supports semi-voiced…

64 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Navigation Points Not Available to Scripting in InDesign 2021 (16.0)

Problem Description:
    Querying navigation points inside a movie trigger errors from InDesign 16.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Query movie.navigationPoints.length or movie.navigationPoints.count() with Extendscript.

The following script shows this issue(s) with simple document containing a move and one button with a play at navigation point action applied.

var btn = app.activeDocument.buttons[0];
    var beh = btn.behaviors[0];
    var mov = beh.movieItem;
    var navPts = mov.navigationPoints;
    try{
    alert(navPts.length); /doesn't exist/
    }catch(err) { alert([err,err.line])}

try{
    alert(navPts.count()); /*Give incorrect error - Error: Request failed because the underlying functionality is no longer available in the current version of the application */
    }catch(err) { alert([err,err.line])}

alert(navPts.everyItem().getElements().length);…

64 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Scripting  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. [Limited Undo] InDesign CC 2019 (v14.0) strg+z / cmd+z doesn't work properly

With the new Version the option to go back some steps seems to be cut at some point. I have been working on a couple of files now and going steps back with strg+z works for 2-3 steps. Somehow random but definitely not the way it used to work.

64 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Edit:
    Hello All,
    We acknowledge those comments where some of us have mentioned that the issue is still not fixed; we are already working on it.
    Please note that, in the earlier release we had fixed few cases which were leading to the issue.
    There are still few scenarios which are yet to be investigated and fixed.
    Unfortunately, this particular thread has become too generic.
    We request you to provide your comments in below provided new thread. Please do mention your observation while submitting the comment. It will help us in our ongoing investigation.

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/38991835-undo-not-working-properly-in-indd-2020

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu…

9. Problem with Variable fonts - some glyphs are displayed with a lighter weight on changing axes.

Some variable fonts works as expected, but for some, the font displays at a lighter weight (perhaps regular?) when the weight is set for anything heavier than about 750. It appears that the heavier weight's metrics are used.

In my my limited test, the weight prints properly.

I'm on a 27-inch, iMac 2020, Mac OS 13.5.1, InD 19.

Examples:

63 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

54 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi everyone,

This issue is fixed in the latest InDesign Prerelease Build - InDesign 2024 (19.1.0.037).

How to join InDesign Prerelease program:

Go to https://www.adobeprerelease.com/

* Sign-in with your Adobe ID (the Email ID associated with your Adobe account)

* Click Available Programs

* Find InDesign Prerelease and click Join

Please check if the issue stands resolved for you with this build and share your feedback.

--

Adobe InDesign team

10. Share for Review strikethrough & highlight from online edits aren't visible in InDesign

InDesign Vs. 16 Share for Review: if the reviewer uses the strikethrough text or highlight option, I don't see these in my indesign doc. I can see the strikethrough text on the browser version, but the highlight disppears completely. The review comment is in both places, just not what it's referencing.

61 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 61 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while. The fix of the issue is now part of InDesign’s latest update, Id 13.1

Update your InDesign through Creative Cloud app to Id 13.1

Thanks,
    Abhinav

12. publish online navigation buttons disappear in browsers and don't come back

When I view a published document, the browser based navigation buttons and menu for downloading disappear after a couple seconds and don't come back without hitting F5. This is unworkable. Please change it so the nav arrows remain on the screen, even in full screen mode. I can't have my clients struggling to go to the next page. This happens in Chrome and Firefox. In Edge, they disappear, but will reappear if I move my mouse to the edge of the screen - also very frustrating because I just want to click through the document without struggling to find the…

60 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Typekit (or Adobe Fonts) or Fonts menu collapses while browsing through the list of fonts.

I am absolutely loving the new InDesign features. But, whilst testing the new Typekit/Adobe Fonts browsing window in InDesign I came across this bug / crash. Instead of allowing me to freely roam the vast selection of fantastic fonts, the window just decides to close and defaults to one of the already synced fonts.

InDesign version: 14.0, included a screencap.

58 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Edit: We reached to the users who have commented the issue still persists to identify the gap. It was discovered that their issue is different from what is being discussed on this thread. The issue pertaining to this thread is fixed. Hence, we are closing the thread.

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

14. Fehlercode 4/Errorcode 4 for not damaged documents

1. Adobe Indesin CC 13.01 After the last Update of Indesign time by time suddenly Indesign report a damaged file if you try to open any InDesign-Document.

Everytime after restarting the Mac everything is good and I'm fortunally able to open all o these documents.

Sometimes restarting Indesign helps, but not always.

The last 3 days it happens much to often und it nervs.

56 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. InDesign 2021 keeps crashing

InDesign has crashed about 5 times since updating the other day. My team is also having the same problem. Mac and PC.

55 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Export and Save As dialogs not showing up in MacOS Monterey

1. 16.4
    2. Installed MacOS Monterey then InDesign Export or Save As dialogs stopped working.
    3. Export or Save As dialogs should be showing up
    4. Export or Save As dialogs not showing up with either keyboard shortcuts or when using the dropdown menu.
    5. The issue was validated by your support staff Lakshay (Adobe) through remote access 26.10.2021
    53 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. stalls intermittently, seconds to minutes of spinning beach ball or Application not responding

Stalls to a spinning beach ball intermittently during use. Add images in frames, move images or add text, what-ever, it suddenly just stalls and can take seconds to minutes before clearing. CS6, the CC2017 worked fine. Now CC2018 seems to have regressed in performance. I have to FORCE QUIT at times. MacOS Sierra 10.12.6

52 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    We had launched our investigation into the matter to get to the root cause of the problem. As the part of our investigation, we had reached out to many of you personally over email.
    We have concluded our investigation and have come up with few findings.

1. For many of the users the issue got fixed after updating InDesign to a newer version.
    2. For some, the issue got resolved after disabling a third-party application such as Suitecase fusion etc.
    3. For few, the issue was intermittent and is no longer reproducible.
    4. For majority of the users, the underlying cause of the performance issue was identified to be related to span columns, cross-references, third party plugin etc.

We have created separated threads for these issues and we are now working towards resolving them.

However, over the time this thread…

18. Presentation mode (shift+w) glitch in catalina

Indesign CC 2019 running on a 15-inch, 2018 Mac, 2,6 GHz Intel Core i7 6 core, 32GB memory, with Catalina iOS 10.15.

Every time i enter the "presentation mode", the first page i visualize looks good, when i move with the keyboard arrows to another page it visualizes glithces.

50 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. When applying underline feature to TateChuYoko, the underline doesn't show

When applying underline feature to TateChuYoko characters, the underline doesn't show. It means, the underline feature is set correctly, but it does not appear against TateChuYoko characters. We’ve struggled to this bug for a long time. As workaround, we have to create Anchor objects for TateChuYoko characters, or to put stroke lines instead of underline. These workarounds waste a lot of time. Please fix this ASAP.ASAP.

[Japanese]
    縦中横に下線機能を適用しても、下線が表示されないバグ

縦中横の文字に、下線機能を適用しても、下線が表示されないバグがあります。私たちは長い期間、このバグに悩まされています。仕方なく別テキストフレームで対応したり、別の罫線で対応するなど、時間のかかる無駄な作業をしなくてはなりません。このバグには、私たち多くのユーザーがとても困っていますので、早く修正をしてください。

50 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

20. Share for Review fails to update

No issue creating a Share for Review. However updating an existing Share for Review results in an endlessly spinning blue circle and the link does not update.

49 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base