Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. [Performance] Footnote disappears

A footnote disappeared without reason then appeared back when I changed something in the page layout. This is a very important bug because InDesign didn't display any kind of warning about this problem: no red indicator of missing text or overfull text block. I noticed it by chance. Please look at the screen captures to understand it: the number 2 footnote is missing whereas the footnote number is present in the text. In the other screen capture, the problem has been solved.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

13 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    Part of this issue was fixed with the latest release of InDesign 15.0.1

For all new files created with ID 15.0.1 the issue will not come. For older files opened in ID 15.0.1, you will have to resize, move or do some text editing operation to make the footnote appear

In case you are still facing the issue in new files created post ID 15.0.0 , please share a sample file

Thanks
    amaarora@adobe.com

2. InDesign palettes/panels do not expand or open when Application frame is Off

These small panels that you can attach to the large panels would not expand now after the update to 13.0.1
    I had problems with it already 2 updates back.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

3. With Adjust Layout ON, Text Frames shrink to extremely tiny size on changing Margins.

I am working in Adobe InDesign CC 2019 14.0.1. When I have a manuscript already flowed into my document and try to adjust the margins on the master page with Adjust Layout enabled, when the new margins are applied to the document, all the existing text boxes "disappear." From what I can tell, they have been resized down to an infinitely small point in the middle of the spread. Obviously, this is not useful. I used to be able to adjust the margins across an entire book-length document in one go with layout adjustment, and the text on every page…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

4. Data Merge not populating fields CC2019

I use Data Merge for variable data production every day. I am using IDCC2019 v14.0.1. iMac 27 inch late 2013. OS High Sierra 10.13.6. Processor 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5. 16 GB memory.

This problem started with IDCC2019. I link to .csv for data merge. When exporting to PDF, I choose a record range – for example 1-1000. In the PDF result, the first page is not the first record. It is a random record in the middle – for example, 319. It merges records 319-1000. Then the remaining pages of the 1000 page output are not populated – in the…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3

5. Non-Printing Layers in Italics

InDesign no longer italicizes the name of non-printing layers in the layers panel. This made a scan of which layers were printing or non-printing quick and easy.

With the 2018 update, it seems like non-printing layer names just display as a SLIGHTLY lighter weight of the standard layer name type, making it hard to tell which layers are doing what at a glance.

An update that clearly demarcates non-printing layers would be appreciated.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. New defined Character Color in Paragraph Style not visible

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
      Adobe InDesign CC Version 2017.1 Build 12.1.0.56
      MAC OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

2. Steps to reproduce the issues
      Create a new Paragraph Style
      Go to Character Color tab
      Create new color with a double click in the black square
      Define some values for C/M/Y/K and click OK

3. Expected result
      The new color shoud show up at the end of the existing color list

4. Actual result
      The new Color don’t show up
      After changing to another tab and back the color show up

5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
      Video…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

7. Export PDF, cannot cancel background task

Sometimes, there is no way to cancel a background pdf export task.

No way to close the document either, only hard quitting works.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

8. Color Settings Not Sticking

Upon updating to InDesign 2019 (14.0) my color settings are no longer retained.

As soon as I quit the app and restart the color settings go back to "Emulate Adobe InDesign 2.0 CMS Off"

I have reinstalled the app.
    I have wiped all settings.
    I have cleared the Adobe Color Cache folder.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

9. Drag-duplicating an object with Alt key pressed does not duplicate, if moving on a separate page

If I try to duplicate an object to another page, across the pasteboard border, by holding the Alt key and dragging with mouse, the object only moves there. If I want to duplicate an object to another page, I have to first duplicate it on the same page and then move it to another page.

However, as that is unintuitive, I still constantly try to duplicate an object across the page border, leading me to undo back after I find out the object didn't actually duplicate, but instead I have moved the original object (and oftentimes edited it a lot…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

33 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0

-InDesign Team

10. Unable to launch Adobe InDesign as you do not have sufficient permissions to access the preferences folders.

I can't even open InDesign anymore, I keep getting an error message that says "Unable to launch Adobe InDesign as you do not have sufficient permissions to access the preferences folders. Ensure that you have appropriate permissions and then restart Adobe InDesign." I've changed permissions on every folder and file to "Read & Write" that I thought would help make it work but nothing is working. I was trying to open the latest version of ID, even undownloaded and tried using CC 2017 to no avail. I need this fixed ASAP.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)
    MacOS High Sierra Version 10.13.3

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Shortcuts and keyboard keys stop working.

CC2018, Windows 10, latest update as of 01/18/18, x64 system with 12GB RAM. I often have to close and reopen documents or InDesign itself for shortcuts and some keys to work. There does not seem to be a common cause or specific file(s) that sets it off and it may or may not happen to all open documents if more than one is open. Generally closing the document and reopening it helps, but there have been times where I have to restart the program for anything to work. The issue includes any shortcuts and sometimes keys such as the arrow…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

39 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Cannot resize Epub Interactivity Preview panel

I can not resize the Epub Interactivity Preview Panel at all.
    I am using the latest InDesign CC 2018.

SWF Preview panel is fine.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. anchor

1) Version of Adobe InDesign: CC 2018 (latest release)

2) Steps to reproduce the issues:
    i) Create a text box with type tool. Enter text.
    ii) Create a text field with "buttons and forms" or insert a picture.
    iii) Anchor text field (or picture) to the end of the text in the text box.
    iv) Drag text box into Articles panel.
    v) Ensure "Include Article" is selected.
    vi) Select "use for reading order in tagged PDF" in Articles panel menu.
    vii) Export to PDF (save as interactive is using the text field).

3) Expected result:

Text field (or picture) will…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Please change one word in the German Indesign

The German Word "Abstände" is used two times in the paragraph style panel but with two completely different meanings.

First use "Einzüge und Abstände" is in English "Indents and Spacing".

Second use "Abstände" is in English "Justification".

Please change the second one to "Blocksatz" or "Blocksatzeinstellungen" so that the German users will not be confused anymore.

Or contact a German speaking InDesign pro user for a better translation.

Just a small change to make a lot of (German speaking) people happy!

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

-InDesign Team

15. InDesign makes incorrect QR code words and we can't decode QR codes correctly.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Object->Make QR Code...
    2. Input strings "問題は日本語を正常に扱えるかどうか。".
    3. Result QR Code is incorrect.

Actual Result:
    Sometimes, we got the wrong code in Japanese locale.

Any Workarounds:
    Here is Japanese character strings "問題は日本語を正常に扱えるかどうか。".
    This was coded into the InDesign try and get "image1.png".
    Then, we try to decode it at ZXING decoder. Here is a decoded result (image2.png)

42 1e 59 58 fe 9a 18 ce 38 1a fe 69 7a 5e 69 ca
    ce 8a a9 ee 38 29 2e 6a da 3e 5b 8b 8e 38 1a be
    68 9b 1 8 0a ce 09…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3

16. InDesign CC (13.0.1.) - Often can't save as InDesign-Document (error code 0)

InDesign often says that it can't save my InDesign-Document, because its damaged (error code 0) . It damage my files, so that i've to save as IDML.

Annoying.

Cant't reproduce the problem.
    I work local, so it can't be an connection-problem.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update:
    Few of our users have commented that the issue is still not fixed for them. We sincerely regret the trouble caused.
    In our attempt to eliminate the problem completely, we could identify few scenarios in the which the problem would manifest. While we acknowledge that the list of scenarios may not be exhaustive, we assure you that we are continuously working towards solving the problem completely.

As far this thread is concerned, we are closing it for now. If you continue to face the issue, please reach out directly at sharewithid@adobe.com.
    -———————————————————————————————-

Hello All,

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu…

17. Indesign performance issue : Bad performance when using span columns in InDesign/InCopy

VERSIONS
    Windows 7, CC 2015.4 and CC 2017.0
    Windows 10, CC 2015.4 and CC 2017.0
    macOS 10.12, CC 2015.4
    even CS6 versions are affected...

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
    1. Create an InDesign document with several pages
    2. Define the text frame options with two columns
    3. Link all frames and fill with placeholder text
    4. Create a new paragraph style with the option "span columns" (e.g. title)
    5. Define several parts of the layout with the new paragraph style
    6. Edit some text near the paragraph style
    --> the performance while typing is very very bad!!!

EXPECTED RESULT
    InDesign and InCopy…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    We have been able to improve the performance with span columns but it is till work in progress.

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the incremental fix.

-InDesign Team

18. Thumb nail of indesign saved files not appearing after 2019 to 2020 update

Can anyone help me with this issue, since I update to the 2020 InDesign from 2019 all my icons in saved files don't show the InDesign thumbnail is this a bug or just me being dumb?

note -
    -Files still open as normal.
    -Even if I save them in 2020 formate still no icons
    -Other adobe programs since update show Icons.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. [macOS] soft return converted to hard return in InDesign Tagged Text

Affected version:
    14.0.3 [macOS]

Steps to reproduce:
    In a New document, make a new text container.
    Enter this sample text:
    “line1 \n line2 \r line3 \n line4”
    where \n = shift+return
    and \r = return
    “line1{{shift+return}}line2{{return}}line3{{shift+return}}line4”
    Set space before or space after to 0.125”
    Export as Adobe InDesign Tagged Text, Unicode format.
    Import result using File > Place

Expected result
    Soft returns and hard returns

Actual result
    Hard returns only (soft returns converted)

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    Thanks for your patience all this while. We investigated on this issue and below are our findings. The problem with this bug is related to ages old standards difference between different operating systems.
    On Mac (OS X and later) there is only one way to identify line end i.e by using a single character LF, while on Windows (and DOS before it) uses a pair of CR and LF characters to terminate lines.
    Hence when writing them down to any text file these characters are written as such.
    Windows, can therefore dedicate LF to understand soft return separately while Mac cannot do any
    such thing. Because of this when we read it back from the text file the LF character is interpreted as line break (or new para) on Mac and soft return on Windows.

These files require conversion when moved from one OS to another

Consider this…

20. No keyboard focus on launch

InDesign 14.0.1.209, macOS Mojave 10.14.2

When launched and the following conditions hold, InDesign does not seem to have keyboard focus (i.e.., no keyboard shortcuts work):

1. Show ‘Start’ Workspace When No Documents Are Open is unticked.

2. The Control bar is open in the default workspace.

3. The CC Libraries panel is either not in the default workspace or collapsed.

Note that conditions 2 and 3 are met by several of the standard workspace, for example both Advanced and Typography (but not Book, Essentials or Essentials Classic).

If you choose a menu item or click in an input field, the app gains keyboard…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base