Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Indesign performance issue : Object movement

Indesign is always giving me rainbow wheel even if I edit small slides.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

8 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. InDesign still crashing when saving to external server folder/alias

I updated to the new version of InDesignCC 2018 this morning (the November '17 update, version 13.0.1). Supposedly this was supposed to fix the Save/Save as crash but I just took the same steps as before and the crash is still happening. The steps are as follows:
    1. Create new document
    2. Save As
    3. Select folder within our shared folder (this is linked to another computer, the other computer is the "momma" so to speak in that its part of the hard drive of the other Mac (version 10.12.6). I am also running Mac version 10.12.6. We have a…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Indents not holding after page break

1. InDesign CC 2018, though I logged this bug for 2017 as well. It may also have existed as far back as CS6. I had hoped it would be fixed in this release.
    2. Create a paragraph style that has a left indent and set text in that paragraph style. Set enough text to flow onto a second page.
    3. The text should retain the left indent after the page break.
    4. Sometimes, the first line of text after the page break does not retain the indent.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. InDesign 2018 crashes when I update the links in the links panel

InDesign 2018 crashes when I update the links in the links panel. It does not matter which size they have.
    I'm using Indesign 2018 since yesterday. Running on a power Mac 2017.
    To finish my document I had to install indesign 2017 again and start all over! What can I do?

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix of the issue is now available in InDesign’s latest November’17 update.
    Please upgrade to the latest version InDesign CC 13.0.1 for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

5. InDesign CC 2018 stalls to a spinning beachball right after opening for a brief time

On first opening InDesign in Sierra 10.2.4, after a couple of seconds of not taking any action, InDesign stalls briefly—about 3 to 4 seconds—not allowing any new action during that time. There is just a spinning beachball. I can postpone the beachball by immediately opening a menu; but after mousing away from the menu the beachball comes back. Not sure if it is trying to load something, but I currently don't have any extra extensions installed. I tried resetting preferences and removing all user install scripts, but it still did it. It's consistent every time I open the new version.…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

37 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    We are currently investigating the issue as the issue is not reproducible inhouse. We have sent mails to most of the folks and received following responses:
    • The issue got resolved automatically.
    • The issue immediately vanished when Unchecking Creative Cloud synchronization.
    • Upgrade to OS 10.13.6 resolved the issue
    • The issue got resolved after turning off TypeKit sync

Regards
    InDesign Team

6. SVG Font Designation Not Shown in Find Font

If a font is an SVG font, InDesign shows the square box "SVG" designation in the font dropdown. However, if you view the font info under Find Font (Type>Find Font), the font type does not show as SVG. There is no way to determine if an SVG font was used in the file other than to view in the font dropdown. That is a problem as SVG fonts are not supported in PDF yet and will not be caught by preflight. Can the SVG designation be added to the Find Font info screen?

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. InDesign crashes on launch with Faulty module "PMRuntime" unless launched as Administrator or Creative Cloud Application

Issue: InDesign CC will not open from the Start Menu unless "Run as administrator" is selected. This is not an option for standard users.

It will open OK from the Creative Cloud Desktop App.

Event viewer log is generated showing the following:
    Faulting application name: InDesign.exe, version 13.1.0.76
    Faulting module name: PMRuntime.dll, version 5.0.0.191

Version: InDesign CC 2018, 13.1.076
    Also occurs with version 12.1.0.56
    Windows OS: Windows 10, version 1803 (Build 17134.165)

Select InDesign CC from the start menu. The application does not open and no messages appear. Check Event Viewer > Application to see the error.

There…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Paragraph Return is changed into Paragraph Separator (U+2029)

Version: Indesign CC 2018 and Incopy CC 2018

The bug as described on https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2344905 still exists in the latest version.

During the exporting INDD into IDML, the error below occurs.
    Certain Paragraph Return (\r) is changed into 'PARAGRAPH SEPARATOR'(U+2029) and the first sentence’s paragraph style is changed into the paragraph style of the second sentence which makes two sentences into one.
    Every time this bug occurs, we have to open the INDD file and change “U+2029” into another character such as “space” and export it again.
    Finally we found out that this error occurs when 8000th character is “Paragraph Return…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Idml Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

9. InDesign False Ligatures Bug

InDesign sometimes, seemingly randomly, replaces pairs such as hn, il, io, sy, ek, etc. with completely wrong glyph, such as accented Y, U, etc., when regular Ligature setting is applied. This has been a problem since CS5 and we recently had it occur in CC2015, so it is still there. Affected fonts have been many over the years, including licensed Adobe fonts. Fonts can be Open Type or PostScript. Language setting can be English US, UK, or seemingly anything else. The only thing that works to avoid it is to turn off Ligatures which is generally unacceptable, so the only…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Placed ICML files do not appear in the Assignments panel

Placed InCopy ICML files should appear in the Assignments panel. They do not. This is under InDesign CC2018.1.

The only step needed to reproduce this is to create an InCopy file. Save it and then place in InDesign.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

11. Can't delete InDesign color swatch

Documents inherit a swatch from a picked-up file and the swatch can not be deleted.

1) This problem has existed for us since at least InDesign CS4 and persists through the current CC 2018 build (13.1).

2) In the attached file, "Select All Unused" in the Swatches panel. There is no content at all in the file. All objects have been deleted, as have all text and object styles. Try to delete the unused process color swatch, "C=80 M=76 Y=70 K=73."

3) We expect the unused swatch to be deleted.

4) Trash can icon in Swatches panel is grayed out…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. World-Ready composer breaks hyperlinks for Publish Online

When the WR composer is applied to text, it breaks hyperlinks when the document is published via Publish Online. The hyperlinks work fine when the document is sent to PDF. The hyperlinks work fine when the WR composer is changed to the Adobe Paragraph Composer.
    This is to correct the title of this bug report, please reference it: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/33786565-publish-online-breaks-hyperlinks

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  ansjain responded

World-Ready composer is not well supported in Fixed Layout EPUBs and Published documents from InDesign.

I would suggest everyone to vote for the issue on UserVoice if it impacts you to make it highly voted request on UserVoice.

Thanks
    -Anshul

13. Hangs when exporting to PDF

1. Latest Indesign CC, Windows 10
    2. ID would sometimes not finish the export to PDF task and hangs for minutes. It must then be killed in the task manager. During this it constantly consumes a big lot of RAM and CPU power. See attachment.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. unable to change font, size, style in Script UI, alignment problem with Image on button

Unable to perform basic features such as changing of text Font, Styles, Sizes in CC's scriptUI.
    Alslo image in button way OFF alignment.

This result in uglier customized UIs than it's older versions.
    As the world population is getting older, the ability to have bigger font size and style is really needed.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Moving objects between layers using the layers panel doesn't always work

I struggle with moving objects between different layers in an InDesign document by using the layers panel. Often it takes two or more attempts to move objects. I wonder if it's the tolerance of the buttons or if this is genuinely a bug.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. error encountered reading image

1. InDesign CC 2019 (14.0)
    2. Import large clipped .psd file (~880 mb) into mechanical
    3. Image placed as requested
    4. Error message received suggesting image is corrupt (note: export of InDesign file as idml and opened in 2018 to import image achieves desired result, suggesting image is not corrupt)

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. InDesign CC Server 2018.1 crashes when applying masterSpread to a page

InDesign CC Server 2018.1 crashes when applying masterSpread to a page.
    The code attached in file "Script.txt" crashes when executing "item.appliedMaster = masterSpread;".
    The file "File.indd" is on which I execute the script.
    I works properly in InDesign CS6 and InDesign CC 2018.1.
    I've been searching on Internet and I couldn't find any issue similar to mine.
    I think it is a bug but maybe I'm missing something prior to execute that sentence.
    Thanks.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. links labeled as "modified" when actually "OK"

ID= v13.1
    MacOS= 10.13.4

Problem: Open any ID file and links that should be "OK" are labeled as "modified". I do not get any error window that pops up notifying me this. Without taking any action, I close the ID file and reopen it and links are now labeled as "OK". Open it up a third time and links are "OK". I QUIT out of ID and open that same file and see links as "OK" and now they are labeled as "modified". This process repeats. Attached video to show. All links in these ID files are not modified or…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    Based on our analysis we found that there are two set of users facing the issue:

Set 1: Users with Universal Type Client v6.1.6 installed.
    The issue is resolved for them with Universal Type Client v6.1.7

Set 2: Users not with Universal Type Client v6.1.6 installed.
    For these user’s looking from the attached video, we can see that no pop up for modified links was shown on opening the file.
    In this case , no sync call is done on opening the document for fetching the links status. Till the time the call results are fetched, links panel shows the link status same as the one registered at last instance of this document close. So, for these users, showing modified links is ‘AsDesigned’.
    But we would like to know the below two things to clearly verify that is ‘AsDesigned’:
    1: Does the link status get corrected after keeping the…

19. Opening file in Adobe InDesign CC 2018 prevents same file from opening in InCopy CC 2018

InCopy CC 2018 users get kicked out of file if file is opened in InDesign CC 2018. InCopy CC 2018 cannot open files create in InDesign CC 2018. See attachment.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. mouse lag in indesign when photoshop window open

Experiencing terrible mouse lag in indesign, the cursor flickers constantly and it feels like the mouse is swimming through mud. Nearly enough to make the program unusable. Reinstall fixes the problem temporarily but it returns within 30mins.

I have identified that this only happens when a photoshop window is open behind or next to the indesign window.

Indesign 13.1
    Photoshop 19.1.2
    Mac os sierra 10.12.6

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base