Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Variable Fonts don't display correct via PDF export

I'm very excited to see variable fonts in InDesign, thank you!

However, when using variable fonts in an InDesign document, exported PDFs show overlaps (as in the crossbar of /A), as well as inconsistent stem weights, spacing, and alignments in various glyphs. These issues occur in multiple variable fonts I've tested.

If I use static fonts or convert fonts to outlines using Type > Create Outlines these issues don't show up. These issues are present when viewing PDFs in both Acrobat and Preview (see screenshots attached). These variable fonts work fine in web browsers and other applications that support variable…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Objects on the page jump if a left-hand page becomes a right-hand page and vice versa

Hi developers,
    this is a longstanding bug:

With facing pages documents on EVERY document page there is a zone where jumping of objects will happen.

I call this the jump zone. All objects on a page that will jump are clearly inside the page's area. The bug has nothing to do with rounding errors where object edges are at the edge of a page.

The objects should not move if pages are added or removed, if numbering of pages is changing. Nevertheless they do. Always. Unless, the zone has a width of zero.

Below all the details.

What is a…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. A splitted footnote with three lines violates keep options and makes a widow instead of an orphan

1. Version of Adobe InDesign
      This issue appears in every InDesign versions since footnotes are supported.
      Bug reports / feature requests (from CS3 up to CS6) have been ignored in the past.

2. Steps to reproduce the issues
      given:
      a) a footnote with three text lines
      b) splitting footnotes allowed in the footnote options
      c) keep options: at start/end of Paragraph 2/2 (2 lines at start, 2 lines at end)

Play with the textframes hight so that the footnote is forced to be splitted. It will only split 2/1, not 1/2.

1. Actual result
      The footnots splits with 2 lines in the textframe…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Drag-Duplicating using Alt/Opt key does not work if key is pressed after dragging

InDesign 2020 OPTION Duplicate is now broken, just like Photoshop has always been.

Don't make me commit to the duplicate before moving an item.

Sometimes I'll move a box, then realize I intended to duplicate it, so then I'll press OPTION... now I have to commit to it FIRST.

Fix this and stop breaking things!

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Multiple listings of same font in Find Font menu

There are multiple listings of the same font in the Find Font menu in CC2019. All information is the same, all applied characters are the same, but there is odd behavior.

--FileACC2019WithDocumentsfontsfolder.png shows double listing of Trade Gothic LT Pro Roman.

--FileACC2019WithoutDocumentfontsfolder.png (when I take away access to Document fonts folder, no other changes), one instance switches to "Regular" instead of "Roman"

--FileACC2017WithDocumentfontsfolder.png shows what happens with I open this file in CC2017 (no double listing)

--FileACC2017WithoutDocumentfontsfolder.png (Document fonts folder hidden) shows what happens with I open this file in CC2017 (no…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Incopy 2019 cannot open icap file created by ID 2019

.icap files created with ID 2019 cannot be opened with IC 2019 with error message „An error occured while opening the file.“ Tested on Mac OS X 10.12.6.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

7. Text disappears from text boxes on certain pages.

The text in some of the text boxes just disappears when reopened, especially in files that are a couple of days old.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Display not properly refreshed

In the latest versions the screen often isn't refreshed properly. Only after rescaling or changing to Preview mode the old data is hidden.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. UI Scaling not working

I am using a Thinkpad T570 with a 4k display running the Win10 and the latest version of InDesign.

The UI scaling does not work correctly, the UI is way too small (see screenshot). I checked all the settings, it still won't scale properly. All other CC apps (besides Illustrator) scale just fine.

Here is a screenshot of IDs UI compared to PS:

Please fix this issue, so that ID scales the same way as PS and the other apps do!

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Indesign performance issue : Object movement

Indesign is always giving me rainbow wheel even if I edit small slides.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.

In the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3
    We have fixed multiple scenarios where the movement of objects was found to be slow.

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3

11. 12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. InDesign still crashing when saving to external server folder/alias

I updated to the new version of InDesignCC 2018 this morning (the November '17 update, version 13.0.1). Supposedly this was supposed to fix the Save/Save as crash but I just took the same steps as before and the crash is still happening. The steps are as follows:
    1. Create new document
    2. Save As
    3. Select folder within our shared folder (this is linked to another computer, the other computer is the "momma" so to speak in that its part of the hard drive of the other Mac (version 10.12.6). I am also running Mac version 10.12.6. We have a…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Unable to change fonts

I am unable to change fonts.

Changing weights seems to work, but changing fonts does not work.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0

-InDesign Team

14. Vertical Text Alignment not working correctly in InDesign 2020

I recently upgraded to InDesign CC 2020 and find all the text in circles not aligned vertically center. Document was last opened in CC 2019 and these were fine. I haven’t modified these since. Rectangles are fine. See attached example - clearly not right and inconsistently so. I have tried every setting and I can’t get them to line up. Thanks!

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.1

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

If you have created documents from ID15.0 where you see this issue, please do a Force Recomposition of the Text Frames (Cmd-Opt-/ on Mac, Ctrl-Alt-/ on Win) to make it work correctly.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

15. Redraw problems when having multiple Textboxes in a Textflow (Often used in DatabasedPublishing)

macOS: 10.13.6
    InDesign: 14.0.2.

When placing a Text-Frame that Adjusts in height inside of a "Master-Textframe" (Often used in DatabasedPublishing to paginate Products that should not split between columns etc.) InDesign fails to redraw the placements of other Objects correctly - AND IT EXPORTS TO PDF!

This is horrible and has already lead to some huge problems in big Projects where we needed to work this way but InDesign made it a pain.

See attached Video for clarification.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0

-InDesign Team

16. Import PDF Comments - New Bugs identified

We're facing below issues in the new feature, called 'Import PDF Comments':

(1) If text frames are overlapped and grouped, PDF comments are not embedding correctly, also updating in wrong places (please refer the attachment 1Error1.png)
    (2) PDF comments are not embedding correctly for the grouped frames (please refer the attachment 2
    Error2.png)
    (3) PDF comments are not embedding correctly for the sub-frames (please refer the attachment 3Error3.png)
    (4) PDF comments are not embedding correctly inside table cells (please refer the attachment 4
    Error4.png)
    (5) PDF comments are not embedding correctly when the fonts are missing (please refer…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3

17. SVG Font Designation Not Shown in Find Font

If a font is an SVG font, InDesign shows the square box "SVG" designation in the font dropdown. However, if you view the font info under Find Font (Type>Find Font), the font type does not show as SVG. There is no way to determine if an SVG font was used in the file other than to view in the font dropdown. That is a problem as SVG fonts are not supported in PDF yet and will not be caught by preflight. Can the SVG designation be added to the Find Font info screen?

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

18. Interactive PDF go to destination not working

Using InDesign CC 2019 14.0.1

I have a 24 page report designed for print, with an additional layer which when visible adds interactive buttons to the top left corner of each page so I can also export an interactive PDF. The buttons are:

Go to previous page
    Go to next page
    Go to destination linking to the contents page

The document also contains URL hyperlinks and the contents links to each section of the report using bookmarks, but is not set up as a TOC. I'm not using any functions under the SWF/EPUB only section.

When exported as an interactive…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. No Multi-Processor support for InDesign?

InDesign were and still is very slow. Now I work on an iMac 2017 with i7 processor with 4.2 GHz and Radeon Pro 580 8GB graphics with InDesign 14.0.1. The i7 is a Quadcore CPU but if InDesign works, it still works on just 1 Core! So InDesign ist still slow and the Beachball appears very often. Photoshop instead uses all the performance of this great machine.

Isn't it possible, to use all CPU-cores and maybe additionally the GPU with InDesign, to increase the performance?

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. import pdf comments

1. ID 14 Mac

2. Copy text out of a comment to paste into layout

3. Would expect that the cursor could be used to select all or part of an imported PDF comment

4. In fact it is EXTREMELY difficult to get the palette to recognize that text is selected in the palette interface. The "Copy" popup does not appear a large proportion of the time, or you can't select the range of characters you need. Even though Acrobat is terrible at the same process, it is significantly faster to copy the needed range of characters from the comment in Acrobat and switch…
    11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PDF Comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base