Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. InDesign Corrupt files

InDesign users all have to deal with corrupt files sometime during their career using this program. Usually meaning lost time and, more importantly, money. It would be nice if there was a way to have InDesign or another program scan and fix corrupt files (Adobe FirstAid). Dumping this corrupt file into this program would scan the file, find the cause of the error, and isolate it--almost like a virus scanner. Even if this means a page is lost or margins are messed up. It would be nice to at least get some work saved. For example, I throw in a…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

16 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. "View PDF after exporting" previously opened acrobat, now my computer switches between opening Illustrator, Mircosoft Word, rarely Acrobat

I've set my computer to use Acrobat as default, yet perhaps you could add an Application of choice to use when view exported PDF.

Not sure if it's just a bug, but any fix would be welcome. Thank you!

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. No window appears when I open the app, not even when opening a previous document. Mac 10.13.2

No window appears when I open the app, not even when opening a previous document. Running Mac 10.13.2 on MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012. I tried using the 2017 version and no window appears there either! I need to do my work today!!!!

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

4. Publish Online

On Android phones and tablets: Publish Online skips pages when trying to swipe from page-to-page in certain Publish Online documents.

The thread on the forums is here: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2419718

The documents that have been reported to exhibit this behavior include:

1, "Five Days from Nowhere," found here https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/publish-online.html

2. And also this document that's in my Publish Online gallery
    https://indd.adobe.com/view/ab79b8c6-1265-44e3-aeae-7dccfb89cd94

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Closed: Fixed  ·  6 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Scripts Panel Sorting

InDesign 2017.1 (v12.10.56); macOS High Sierra 10.13

When I open the Scripts Panel, nothing is in order. It used to be in alphabetical order like the Scripts Panel folder in my user library.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Glyphs panel scroll doesn't work in CC2017

Fix scroll feature in Glyphs panel; it worked in CC 2015. Broken in CC2017 on both Mac and Windows.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. InDesign, latest version. GREP: find period (.) character followed by endnote reference number. Should be (\.)(~U) but doesn't seem to work.

GREP: find period (.) character followed by endnote reference number. Should be (\.)(~U) but doesn't seem to work.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    Please can you confirm if this GREP query works for small text ranges? (for example text selection containing around 10K characters)
    For me, the query works for just in a document containing one (.) followed by one endnote marker

If it works for you as well on small documents, your issue may be same as https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/37286893-cc-14-0-2-grep-search-not-working

-Adobe InDesign Team

8. Bad optical kerning for superscript "4"

When a superscript "4" follows a closing smart quotation mark, optical kerning is set to -60 or -70 depending on font. This is too close (basically a crash).

This is annoying for books with lots of endnotes, where superscript numbers usually follow quotation marks.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. No Multi-Processor support for InDesign?

InDesign were and still is very slow. Now I work on an iMac 2017 with i7 processor with 4.2 GHz and Radeon Pro 580 8GB graphics with InDesign 14.0.1. The i7 is a Quadcore CPU but if InDesign works, it still works on just 1 Core! So InDesign ist still slow and the Beachball appears very often. Photoshop instead uses all the performance of this great machine.

Isn't it possible, to use all CPU-cores and maybe additionally the GPU with InDesign, to increase the performance?

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. For some reason Indesign is still painstakingly slow...

The slightest movements take FOREVER!!!!

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    We had launched our investigation into the matter to get to the root cause of the problem. As the part of our investigation, we had reached out to many of you personally over email.
    We have concluded our investigation and have come up with few findings.

1. For many of the users the issue got fixed after updating InDesign to a newer version.
    2. For some, the issue got resolved after disabling a third-party application such as Suitecase fusion etc.
    3. For few, the issue was intermittent and is no longer reproducible.
    4. For majority of the users, the underlying cause of the performance issue was identified to be related to span columns, cross-references, third party plugin etc.

We have created separated threads for these issues and we are now working towards resolving them.

However, over the time this thread…

11. Cursor size in working area is huge InDesign CC 2018 Win

The ID cursor (black) when over the workspace is huge. It is normal size when hovering over the tool bars (white), but when you move over the workspace it is supersized. This occurs when working on an external monitor, but is scaled appropriately on HD Laptop Screen.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. InDesign 13.0.1 can not follow an alias on a server share anymore

InDesign 13.0.1 on a apple mac running 10.13.3 does not recognize alias (links) on a server share anymore. Photoshop still does.

Steps: Go to a server share, no matter if an smb or afp share.
    Create a folder A. Place an file inside, e. g. 1.jpeg
    Create an alias from folder A => A alias.
    In InDesign choose OPEN:
    Go to the server share
    The Folder A is in black typo an available. Highlight A and you see the file.
    The Alias A alias is gray, InDesign does not recognize the link.
    Do the same in Photoshop, you will…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If you create an alias of a folder (located on a server) and drag it to the desktop, it works. For quick creation of aliases this way, press Option-Command while you drag the original item to the desktop.
    Note : Accessing items of an folder’s alias located on a server has not worked in previous releases of InDesign too.

13. Colors are displayed differently between pages

InDesign 13.0.1 on iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) OS 10.13.3

Open a CMYK document. Place an sRGB file on page 1. Place the same (or copy) on page 2.

Expected: the colors on both pages look the same.

Actual result: With color-proof switched off, the colors on page 1 show as if color-proof turned on while on page 2 the colors show correctly. See screenshots with the same files on 2 pages. I changed nothing I just moved the picture from one page to the other.
    With color-proof turned on all pages look like page 1.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. installed font missing

InDesign 13.0.1 on macOS 10.12.6

One installed font from a family of 6 suddenly started showing as not found. Frutiger LT Pro 67 Bold Condensed was correctly showing, now not.

I have re-installed InDesign twice, reinstalled the font, and rebooted several times. Font is correctly showing still in Illustrator and Photoshop.

This is impacting client files and while I have a workaround, I am concerned the problem will occur with other fonts where I don't have a viable solution. (I have another foundry version of that particular font.)

Screen shots attached.

many thanks

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Please try it out with the latest release and if even then you encountering the same issue, please share the font file of that particular font with which you are facing the issue.

Please do mention your machine configuration like OS, Locale. You can also send files/links directly to paawasth@adobe.com.

Thanks,
    Payal

15. Export to PDF (print file) causing Data Merge to return incorrect data

1. Creating csv file with UTF-16 encoding and 299 entries.
    2. Creating new InDesign file, importing CSV data via Data Merge.
    3. Preview data via Data Merge panel, everything is in place, no problems to solve.
    4. Exporting PDF from saved document (PDF/X-4:2010 settings).
    5. PDF starts with page, where instead of first record is a placeholder name (name of the column in csv) and some records are missing (296 pages instead of 299).

Tried different methods: use txt instead of csv, use different UTF encodings (8/16, with and without BOM, etc.). Nothing helps.
    -
    Win10, latest updates. InDesign CC…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. CC2018 IDML files not compatible with CS6

Clients who have CS6 can't open any IDML files I create/export in CC2018. They receive an error message saying the format is unsupported or a plug-in is missing. IDML files created/exported from an earlier version of CC (2017) work fine.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  20 comments  ·  Idml Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Endnotes in epub2 don't work when using split document by paragraph style

After exporting to a reflowable epub 2.0.1, endnotes don't work when you have selected to split the epub using paragraph styles based on export label.

Thanks in advance
    Gert

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. form field tag export

Current version - InDesign CC 2018

Form field tags are not created when exporting an interactive .pdf with tags.

To recreate:
    1. Create a form with form fields.
    2. Add everything to Articles pane in order from top to bottom per page.
    3. Export to interactive .pdf, make sure to elect to create tags and set tabbing order by structure.

Expected result - when the file runs through the Accessibility checker in Acrobat Pro - it passes.

Actual result - all form fields are missing tags and does not pass the accessibility checker.

Everything worked great before I updated InDesign…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix of the issue is now available in InDesign’s latest November’17 update.
    Please upgrade to the latest version InDesign CC 13.0.1 for the fix.
    If you are unable to see the update, go to Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.
    Thanks,
    InDesign Team

19. InDesign crashes while accessing printer setup or printing on Windows

I've had no issues in writing documents, but printing an existing one crashed InDesign2018. A crash report was automatically generated and sent to you &/ or Apple.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

InDesign might crash while accessing printer setup or printing with specific printers. The crash is intermittent and specific to Windows only.

We need some more details to look into this issue. Please share the following information for further investigation:

Printer driver and printer setup details.
    How is the printer configured? (Local/Network/Wireless)
    Is the printer configured as your default printer?
    Please share the details with us at sharewithID@adobe.com.

20. Search field does not work in Open dialogue box

Simple search filename request in the Open dialogue box and the search does not work in InDesign. This works in EVERY SINGLE OTHER APPLICATION KNOWN TO MAN. Just not in InDesign. InDesign is becoming the most unstable app I have ever worked within in over 10 years. Come on Adobe - this is Mac App 101 and you are FAILING MISERABLY. Fix this embarrassment immediately.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base