Bug details

[Limited Undo] InDesign CC 2019 (v14.0) strg+z / cmd+z doesn't work properly

With the new Version the option to go back some steps seems to be cut at some point. I have been working on a couple of files now and going steps back with strg+z works for 2-3 steps. Somehow random but definitely not the way it used to work.

36 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Christian Stockhecke shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

37 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Grayson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've noticed that if a user is currently selecting an object (image or text) and clicks on Generate QR CODE, (clicks OK to generate), this will replace whatever was selected, without the option of Undo.

Additionally the QR code will still remain after closing without saving and reopening the document.

• Carrie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mine is doing the same thing and even if I paste text, hit save, try to edit it and then hit control Z it is reverting my whole document back several steps and if I close it, it doesn't even ask me if I want to save and then if I reopen it what I had saved before is not even there!!!!! This is so frustrating and I am afraid to keep working as it may all be lost again.

• Dan Teodorescu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This solution from Arthur Mustafa worked for me also:
        "I open InDesign or any other CC app directly from the Adobe Creative Cloud app."

I had only one undo step before trying this.

• MyName commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still no solution for this massive malfunction and no further admin response or feedback?

• Emma Diss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think I managed to fix the issue. For my PC at least...

With InDesign open select as follows: Edit > Migrate Previous Local Settings

You will be prompted to restart InDesign. I was unable to have more than 3 undo's but this seems to have solved the undo issues. Fingers crossed!!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now Jan 2019 and still no resolution of this issue??? This is very disheartening and frustrating. Please fix. :-(

• Matthew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just read the comment about "create outlines".

VERY SCARY!

I will have to be extra vigilant now because if that happened to me and I saved the InDesign document after doing it, it would destroy many hours of work on a multi-page document.

I am also having the undo issue as well as not being able to undo "create outlines" after saving a pdf. Which is a big issue since I have to do this so a client won't get defaulted text on a pdf proof

• Arthur Mustafa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

UPDATE
        I tried something I read here or somewhere else:
        - I open InDesign or any other CC app directly from the Adobe Creative Cloud app. Since I have done it, 3 days now, I have not had any undo problems anymore and all my steps appear in my EasyHistory palette for as long as I keep open that document.
        Might be this procedure that is working, or maybe they pushed some overnight small update to the InDesign and they solved it.
        Maybe some of you could open programs like that and confirm here if it works.

• Matthew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is the the response from Adobe still "We will look at it"? It would be nice to see something like this:

"We know that the program has a bug and we are very sorry for all the inconvenience that our valued customers are experiencing. We understand that our customers are paying full price for software that does not function as expected. We are working at fixing the issue as quickly as we can and will inform our customers as soon as we release an update that resolves the issue. Thank you all for your continued support and patience at this time. You guys rock!

I'm having the same issue in InDesign CC 2019. Works for 3 steps back only. CC 2018 was working ok.

I have been running windows 10 whilst using both versions.

• Arthur Mustafa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi!

I recently upgraded to InDesign CC 2019.

The same issue is happening to me too.

After a certain number of operations (approx. 70) in an existing InDesign brochure of 148 pages, all history steps are disappearing and I see only 2 or 3 steps as I continue to work.

I mention here that I previously bought and installed the latest version of 65BIT EasyHistory plugin. Nevertheless, whatever I do, the same thing happens everytime I open and work in any InDesign file I have.

I have never had this problem with InDesign CC 2018. I am using the same system configuration (Windows 7) and all I did was I upgraded to CC 2019.

So the problem must be with this new version of InDesign.
        If there are so many complaints about this issue for 2 months now, why Adobe has done nothing to fix it?
        Two months is still a reasonable time to solve a bug, don't you think?

I am also having the problem of only being able to undo max 3 times. Please resolve.

• Kornel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

same issue here, Win 10 - undo works for 2-3 steps back only... annoys the hell out of me...

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base