When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. I want to be able to select multiple table rows that are not connected.

I would like the ability to select multiple table rows that are not connected. For example, I expected to be able to CTRL+Select the rows I want to change the fill color. For example, if I have 20 rows, but I want to select Row 2, 6, 8, 14, and 17 so that I am able to edit the fill color/text color/row height, etc. in those rows only. Currently, I have to do them all individually and in much larger tables (50+ rows.) It's such a pain!

The ability to fill every other row, or every third, etc. in the…

96 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

28 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Anchored Objects need be able to apply a text wrap when placed before their anchor point in text

For example, if the reference text for an image falls on the lower half of a right hand page, but the placement of the image works better at the top of that page—or even on the facing left hand page—the text wrap should be able to work before the object's anchor point in the text. Otherwise, when dealing with long documents, this feature is somewhat useless if you can only anchor some of your objects.

93 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make InDesign be able to import/Export comments from/to PDF

I want to be able to get the comments from PDF into InDesign so that I can easily incorporate/respond on the comments from people.

91 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

68 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style

I'd like the option to not add space between paragraphs of the same style, even if those paragraphs have space above or below. Microsoft Word has a checkbox that does this, and it's great for list styles. You can create a list style with space above and below and then check that box so that space only appears before and after the list, not between list items.

In order to achieve the same effect in InDesign, you need three or more styles (one with space above but not below for the first item, one without space above or below for…

89 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. More options when creating Forms via InDesign

InDesign has a few features that make it possible to export an interactive PDF-Formular directly from InDesign.

This CAN save a lot of time when customers require changes on these Files but sadly InDesign is missing out a lot of features that Adobe Acrobat has - even though it'd be a lot easyier to set everything up in InDesign.

So in my opinion the Formular menue needs some improvement and get more functionality (In Acrobat you can define a font VS via InDesign you can't) since more and more customers request Interactive PDF-Forms etc.

It would be valuable to us…

89 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Paragraph Border Controls when Split across Columns or Frames

There needs to be a control that "If paragraph breaks between columns or frames" restricts the paragraph border to: "baseline" , "cap-height" and perhaps a value offset for this. At the very least there needs to be the "clip to frame" option for paragraph border like there is for paragraph shading. However, the controls for baseline and cap-height would be ideal.

86 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Find/Change Panel -> Dockable ?

I'm struggling with screen estate here (laptop, no other screen) and was wondering about the Find/Change window.

It's floating on top of everything, like a modal window, but you still can interact with everything underneath.

So it is basically acting like a panel.

What I am missing here is an icon + the option to dock it and hide and show when needed.

It is quite a large panel so it very often hides things (results, context) under it.

What about 3 things :
    1. "make it a (real) panel", don't change design quick and dirty, but already solves the…

85 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Dynamic baseline related unit of measurement

Please consider the addition of a dynamic unit of measurement that relates to the document’s baseline. Such a unit will make it possible to express various parameters throughout the design as a multiplication or division of the document’s baseline.

We would for example be able to express a header’s leading as twice the number of baselines, or a paragraph’s space after in any number of baselines.

The unit’s relation to the document‘s baseline means that it’s dynamic: whenever you change the baseline, all values expressed in this unit will change accordingly. There will be no more need to adjust these…

84 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Need more info  ·  Anonymous responded

Hi All,

This indeed a great suggestion. I wanted to understand a little more about this request.

1. The way this request is described its majorly about figuring out how to change the various text attributes in a single step rather than having to change multiple styles to make that happen. It would helpful if you can mention which all attributes you all would want to be dependent on the baseline (space before/after, size, leading any other).
    2. Which kind of documents (magazines, brochures, books etc.) do you see this to be more important for you.
    3. Wouldn’t a similar method (not sure if we could base it on baseline though!!) for changing the layout also help, if you could define the sizes of objects in relation to the page size. Do you think extending this feature to the layout also makes sense.
    4. If you can share some files…

9. InDesign Preview For Finder

There really should be an InDesign preview for Mac Finder. This should be a requirement for your software and should not be considered a feature request.

81 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow different coloured/weight strokes for sides of text box

That way you could make the left and right sides of a box to have zero weight, which essentially gives you rules above and below a text box, but in a box that can be changed in shape and size

78 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

In backlog  ·  16 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. PLEASE!!!! The most powerful design app in the world, and after all these years STILL no HSB in the color picker.

Hue, saturation and value are by far the best ways to create and use color, in nearly anything. All of the other color selections/spaces (CMYK, RGB, LAB, etc) should flow from there, secondarily. Illustrator and Photoshop have always supported HSB(V), and yet as amazing a design tool as InDesign is – it still doesn't. Many of us have been asking for years, and I'm surprised that there aren't more requests ... I think many of us have given up. You can do it, Adobe! You would make a lot of designers very happy, and add a very powerful missing feature…

75 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Functionality to apply kerning before the first letter in a line

Feature Description: This feature should work like in Illustrator or Photoshop (even After Effects can do it). Please see attached screen capture.

How it should work:
    1. Insert the cursor before the first character in a line
    2. Use the kerning in the character panel or with the shortcuts (ALT + arrow keys)
    3. kerning should be applied

Why: This would be a productivity enhancement and make it much easier to optically align the first letter in a line manually without having to use the Optical Margin alignment that only works for a whole story.

74 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. round corners on tables

External round corners on tables

74 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Properties Panel More Options

I quite like the idea of the new Properties Panel, but it would be great to have the options to have the "More Options" items to be expanded permanently. Right now the auto collapse once you change from item to item. I understand if you are working on a laptop, the fact that they auto collapse is helpful but when you are working on a large screen I don't want to keep looking for my options. Please add a preference that makes the expanded options sticky.
    Thanks, Julian

68 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update (14.0.2) of InDesign 2019.

If you are unable to see the update notification, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

The list of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Adobe InDesign team

15. Add Python to the list of supported scripting languages

The only cross platform scripting language currently supported is ExtendScript, based on ECMAScript (almost 2 decades old v.3, which in itself is already long overdue for an update). Python is cross platform, easy to learn and very powerful. InDesign's DOM can be translated naturally into Python. Python has a vast set of functional libraries, and still growing. Supporting Python from within InDesign would in its most basic form only have to enable *.py scripts in the Scripts panel, but it would benefit of an interactive console of its own.

68 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Scripting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Folder for Layer

It would be very helpfull if we can group Layers or make Folders like in Photoshop.

63 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Make the »instructions.txt« file choosable when packaging

Just add a button so that it will be possible to unclick the writing of the (often useless) instructions.txt file when packaging an InDesign file.

62 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Applying Master pages to 'all even' or 'all odd' pages

Applying Master pages to 'all even' or 'all odd' pages - would be handy when working with large documents, rather than manually typing or cmd+shift the pages to include.

61 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Need more info  ·  Anonymous responded

Hi All, thanks for this feature suggestion.

If I understand this correctly the idea here is that you need a faster way to be able to apply Master Pages to the various pages in the document. One use case is that you want to apply a particular master page to Even and Odd pages.

Are there other such scenarios too, where you need more support. It would be helpful if you can mention other such scenarios.

Thanks

19. Independent column widths

Please add the option to have independent column-widths in a text frame. This would be really useful for text in nearly any letterhead footer.

58 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Bug in Merge paragraph borders

There is a bug in merge paragraph borders of CC 13.1. In thread text frames, the border is displayed immediately after end of paragraph.

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base