Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

How can we improve InDesign?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please add proper standard printing condition(s) and icc-profiles

Adobe, please change the standard color presets for printing to the proper standard printing conditions and profiles that are published by the European Color Initaitive ECI (eci.org.). The icc-profiles are publically available.
    Actually, Adobe still uses outdated FOGRA39 characterization data by default, second Adobe applies FOGRA39 in an own icc-profile that differs from the standard-profile by the ECI.
    FOGRA39 is outdated, it's been replaced by FOGRA51 since years, for good reason. ECI has published the corresponding standard ICC-profile "PSO coated v3", which should find it's way into Adobe's color settings. Please integrate the official ECI-profiles, because these are highly optimized…

81 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

23 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Batch "enable profiles for all linked images" option

There should be an easy way to batch "enable all ICC profiles" for linked images in an opened document.
      Today, the only way to do this is by changing each image individually. Alternatively, you can force an ICC profile mismatch before opening the file, and then enable all profiles while assingning the correct ICC, which it can lead to errors.

For those whose workflow is based on PDF/X-4, it is crutial to activate the ICC profiles for all the linked images in every InDesign document.
      And since the default behavior for InDesign is to ignore the ICC profile while placing…

3 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Batch "enable profiles for all linked images" option

There should be an easy way to batch "enable all ICC profiles" for linked images in an opened document.
        Today, the only way to do this is by changing each image individually. Alternatively, you can force an ICC profile mismatch before opening the file, and then enable all profiles while assingning the correct ICC, which it can lead to errors.

For those whose workflow is based on PDF/X-4, it is crutial to activate the ICC profiles for all the linked images in every InDesign document.
        And since the default behavior for InDesign is to ignore the ICC profile while placing…

2 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Revert back so files can be moved or renamed while the file is open

If you have a file open and make changes, then move the icon to another folder, or change the document name. This corrupts the file until the icon has been put back in the original place or renamed back to the original title. This causes lots of problems if you have multiple indesign files open and you are moving them around the computer as you work on different projects throughout the day. It is very easy to loose all of your work if you can’t remember the exact location of the original file or the exact name of the document…

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Diagnostic tool for Pre-flighting files/fonts

Diagnostic tool for Pre-flighting files/fonts

Indesign says it can't copy necessary files? But what files are those? why is there a problem? The information provided is weak, and needs to be stronger and support a better workflow. I think designs want better informational tools and pre-flighting.

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Packaging links without duplicating them

When packaging a job it would be great if InDesign could move rather than duplicate links to a collected folder.

Currently after packaging a job for print and archiving I then go and delete the original files as I only need the one set. However it takes a while to sort through what I need to keep i.e. alternative images and layered images which I may need for future jobs.

3 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Preflight Document Pages Only

Add an option to the Preflight feature so the user can tell InDesign not to flag errors on unused master pages. Since the purpose of the feature is to flag errors in output, it makes no sense in most cases to flag errors on pages that will never be output (master pages).

8 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• A way to chose where you would like to save your links, INDD file, etc when "packaging" a file.

When working on projects with multiple large books, we would appreciate a way to "package" a file, yet save all of the links for each book in a Master Links Library folder, fonts in a Master Fonts Library folder, and PDFs in a designated folder.

Additionally, it would be awesome if there was a way to preflight a file and ensure that all links are linking to a specific master links folder.

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• ERRO "Printing Error: The Adobe Print Engine has failed

Após a atualização do Indesign (CC2019), quando tento imprimir livreto, aparece a mensagem "Erro de impressão: O Adobe Print Engine falhou ao imprimir seus dados, devido a um problema desconhecido" (Printing Error: The Adobe Print Engine has failed to output your data due to an unknown problem).

Tentei a página de ajuda https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/error-print-engine-failed-print.html, porém, nenhuma das opções foi útil.

Desinstalei o aplicativo, apaguei os dados de preferências, instalei novamente, e mesmo assim não resolveu.

Mesmo os trabalhos em que, antes da atualização, era possível imprimir o livreto, agora não é mais possível.

Se houver alguma outra coisa que eu…

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Show which layer is printing in the slug area.

We often have to print specific layers to be sure our art is on the correct layer for printing. It would be especially helpful to us to see which layer is printed along with the page information.

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• More than just the single Links folder when packaging.

It would be nice to be able to preserve my file structure when packaging a book. Just separate folders for images, docs, table, etc. There are a lot of files in a 500-600 page technical manual with 50-60 documents/chapters, and it's a pain to sort through when everything gets dropped into a single Links folder.

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Network package issue

I get a error message when I try to export a PDF or make other package from a file that I packaged from company network server. Is like I can't access the links files anymore. And I even can't delete them!

I'm using the Indesign 13.1 and macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• More options for packaged files.

Here is an idea that I would think is relatively easy to implement, but would be a great relief to many of us.

So, I packe and indesign file and it creates a copy, an idml-file, a pdf and "sucks in" all links and fonts to a neat folder. Indesign operates under the assumption that this is the very last thing you do, but often I do this midway to secure everything, or to move to another computer etc etc. Or i retuurn to a finnished project a year later as the client wants some updates.

I would love the…

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• ID - Preflight Navigation

Hey there,

i wish i could navigate in my preflight window with arrow keys.

It's important to check all the "mistakes" fast.

Kind regards and big thanks!

3 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Would like to be able to include fonts and links from linked Illustrator files when packaging an InDesign file for print

would like to be able to collect fonts and links in linked AI and PS files when packaging an ID file for print.

29 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • HKS Z 21 Field is missing

Could you please add this colourfield or something simular?

Because there seems like no alternative for this special colour.

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Preflight to include Accessibility check

This was hard to decide the category but preflight is under Print/Packaging even id accessibility often is for digital formats. The Preflight ought not to be limited to just the print workflow and VIGC had a great script that would guide us into making all the right processes for transparency flattening etc if print or digital was the output. Sorry about preramble.

I do not feel I have the full knowledge to make documents compliant with Accessibility guidelines as I have my background in print. I would need help and I think that the Preflight pannel is is perfect tool…

7 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Improve Link Panel functionality

It would be useful if we could right click an image in the Link panel and change the color mode from RGB to CMYK withough having to go into Photoshop before hand.

5 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Save\Package Option

As I am finishing work on a new document, I would love a selection box for "Package Files" inside the Save Dialog or a Save\Package option. This would make it easy when saving at the end of the day if the files could be automatically packaged into one location if the selection box is checked.

5 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Change the font size of the page information when printing out a page. This is too small at 6 pt.

We do thousands of imprints that have all the job number, customer PO and imprint info on the file name. We are converting from qk to indesign. Quark 's title page information uses much larger font and is at the top of the page when printed out which is much more convenient.

We want to be able to identify the document quickly!

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base