How can we improve InDesign?

Find/Change Panel -> Dockable ?

I'm struggling with screen estate here (laptop, no other screen) and was wondering about the Find/Change window.

It's floating on top of everything, like a modal window, but you still can interact with everything underneath.

So it is basically acting like a panel.

What I am missing here is an icon + the option to dock it and hide and show when needed.

It is quite a large panel so it very often hides things (results, context) under it.

What about 3 things :
1. "make it a (real) panel", don't change design quick and dirty, but already solves the result display visibility issue.
2. make it fit the thinner panel size by putting all the find/replace buttons at the bottom
3. make it thinner and put all the find/replace buttons at the top, so we focus on search + text mainly and the buttons don't move from less/more options.

Attached :
- Old version hiding the results
- Mockup for option 2 with buttons at the bottom.

81 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Franck Payen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Greg G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not sure it needs to be dockable. I use Find/Replace often enough it is one of the more easier keyboard shortcuts to use. Command f to pull it up, only problem is that is "paste in place" in Illustrator so sometimes I get confused between them.

• DalePayne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bring it on! I am glad that others want it. To have the ability to have it as a dockable panel so it is always in the same place is an absolute must.

I do a lot of proofing checks to the InDesign documents so it is always in the wrong place at the wrong time! Agree with the spell check window as well.

Please Adobe, listen to us!!!! :) :)

• Steve Edwards commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea and I'd also like the same with the spell check window. It really does get in the way when spell checking. While I'm at it, a working UNDO feature for both would be handy as well.

Feedback and Knowledge Base