1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. disable "live-update" of cross-references

we are working on large document (about 600 pages) with many cross-references (over 3000).
    This leads to a very slow performance and makes working with the document a real test of patience.
    It would be great to have an option to temporarily disable the "live-update" of the cross-references!

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Long Document Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. select similar

It would be helpful to have a select similar feature for lines and other drawn objects like in illustrator because sometimes I need to change a bunch of things to a different line weight and currently must manually find and change them. I always miss it when I'm working in Indesign instead of Illustrator.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. GREP styles as stand-alone named styles

I use GREP styles a lot, and they are very convenient! But I often have to use the same GREP styles in different paragraph styles. Sometimes they consist of rather complex long expressions, and their transfer to another publication becomes difficult and time-consuming. GREP styles should be placed in a separate list, similar to the other stylesheets, and each of them must have its own name, with which they can be included in the paragraph style.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Let baseline shift be expressed as a percentage of the font size

If I've created a paragraph style, sometimes I add a character style with a different size for specific purposes, usually either a bullet point or a quote mark (to highlight a pullquote, for example).

In practice, this means a bullet point is usually smaller, and the quote mark is larger than the rest of the paragraph text. I alter this size as a horizontal and vertical scale, NOT a specific size in points, as this lets the characters scale in proportion when I alter the type size of the paragraph style.

However, I usually also include a baseline shift in…

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow negative indentation!

Please allow negative indentation!

That would make all kinds of hanging bullets, chapter numbers and outdentations easy without any workaround (like "indent everything but the headlines and lists" ...). It would make text layout faster, purer and cleaner, as the type area could be correctly defined just for the copy text.

I think this simple change should be easy to implement and bring enormous relief for our craft.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add run-in footnotes

Add run-in footnotes, so multiple footnotes could be on the same line to save space (instead of every footnote starting on a new line)

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Long Document Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Show Masterpages overrides.

There's no way you can tell that someone did alter or remove MasterPage-items on a document page. You should add a little + sign next to the page icon in the Pages panel. Just like altered Paragraph Styles.

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Select All Across Pages

PLEASE create an option to select all objects or text over the entire document instead of just the page/spread you're on. Making a universal change to the document, such as outlining the type is such a pain having to manually change from page to page. I've seen MULTIPLE threads online for the past 8 years of people requesting this, and it hasn't been resolved.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Repeat last action feature

Please, make something like MS Word, that you can repeat your last action just pressing F4. That could save a lot of time.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Scripting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Publish Online for INDB (book) file

Please extend Publish Online to Books. I use recurring elements as chapters in presentations and would like to publish online instead of exporting and transmitting PDF files.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  PublishOnline  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Need option for auto-fit in table cell style

When I reduce the text size in table, the rows height not fit automatically and its manual work to fit the each row for whole table. It's make easier if we have option to fit the cell height automatically based on content like Object style "Auto-Size"option.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Full support to Mongolian vertical LTR and reading its font open type feature to combine characters

Full support to Mongolian vertical LTR and reading its font open type feature to combine characters. Currently using Mongolian Baiti or Noto Sans Mongolian fonts the characters in the words do not connect to the correct initial, medial or final forms. Only isolated forms are displayed. We tried any current settings but the characters do not combine. Is there a function to do this? We have not found any plug-ins so far. Perhaps it could be that the open type tables are not read which may be one reason for this. See the attached IndDesign file

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Change Color picker

As a long time photoshop and illustrator user I can't handle the InDesign color picker. For a while I would get my color code from Photoshop/illustrator then copy that color into InDesign but it's become such a pain I've stopped using InDesign all together. At least give us an option for a color swatch that matches the other designs. It's literally causing my to give up using the app completely!

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Would like a feature that would set type flush left to the longest centered line

I often need to set poetry extracts in books so that they are flush left to the longest centered line in the extract—see attached examples. 

The workarounds a cumbersome and/or time consuming. 

It would be great if there was a setting to do this automatically.

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Endnotes as bibliography, reference one source multiple times.

When creating a bibliography often times you must reference one source multiple times.

the way that it is set up now, adding a new endnote creates a new entry at the bottom. there is no way to reference something twice.

Obviously this creates concerns when considering navigation, as it works both ways now.

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. More organization for CC Library files

I love the idea of using CC Libraries, but we have multiple versions of our logo built for different scenarios. We have different size logos built for a range of book spines, different colors depending on background, and logotype versions for specific product lines. Right now, I'm creating shorthand in the name of each element to differentiate them, but having metadata or notes for each item would help a lot. I could see the note popping up when you hover over an item. Another solution would be customizable sections within each Library. That way I could organize the logos within…

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add ability to "name" individual pages just like we can name Illustrator artboards

We often use InDesign to build & export a collection of project assets, same workflow as using/exporting a series of multiple artboards in Illustrator. The ability to 'name' artboards in Illustrator and then batch export those artboards automatically passing their names into the exported filenames is awesome. Would love for InDesign to have that same ability.

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Real table footnotes (different from CC2019)

Since CC2019 the user is able to add footnotes inside a table. Such notes are added at the bottom, of the textbox. This behavior does not fit to many needs of designer how need real table footnotes.

So what is the difference?
    Real table footnotes stick to the content of the table.
    In this case the note gives some additional information to the table specific content.
    Therefore each table should have an own mechanism of numbering that does not mix up with the document footnotes numbering. Additionally the position of table footnotes is most often at the end of the…

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. please add the tools math and chemistry equation,

please add the tools or plugins ,how can create a math and chemistry equation in adobe indesign cs6 or cc upgrade version, i can't create a equation. i used olad applcaition adobe pagemaker 5 or 7 i can create the math and chemistry equation in it , but i cant create a equitation in it i used the 3rd party plugin
    http://www.mathmagic.com/product/pro.html , this appcation i used it in adobe pagemaker, but this plugin i can't used it in indign cc or cs6 , i want a eqautiion in text document in default setting , size and font ,
    reply…

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base