1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make the »instructions.txt« file choosable when packaging

Just add a button so that it will be possible to unclick the writing of the (often useless) instructions.txt file when packaging an InDesign file.

62 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

9 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please allow placed PSD layer blend modes to carry over into InDesign

We build 2-layer Photoshop files for product images. Top layer is product image set to NORMAL blend mode. Bottom layer is shadow of product set to MULTIPLY blend mode. When placed in InDesign the shadow layer does not carry over multiply blending. It knocks out anything under it in InDesign file. Our work around is placing two copies of the PSD file on top of each other. We then have to set the bottom image to Multiply with top layer turned off in Object Layer Options. Then the top image needs to have shadow layer turned off in Object Layer…

59 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. name pages

Due to their size the thumbnails in the pages palette often give little indication of their content, which makes finding pages difficult. If users could name pages and the names would be displayed in the panel next to the page number, that would make this task way easier.

59 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Turn paths into guides with the right click menu "Make guides" like in Illustrator.

Pretty self explanatory. It's very useful for example if you need a marquee or an odd shape to serve you as a guide and most importantly, the snapping in InDesign between a line and a guide is so different and so hard to snap to a path.

59 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Bug in Merge paragraph borders

There is a bug in merge paragraph borders of CC 13.1. In thread text frames, the border is displayed immediately after end of paragraph.

57 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Hiding Pages in a Document

It would be helpful to hide pages in a way similar to hiding columns in Excel. I don't want the information gone, I just need to minimize it so I can focus on the specific pages I need. Accessing this action via a right click in the pages menu would be ideal.

57 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Collaborative Editing

Create a cloud service for InDesign where files can be worked on by numerous people at the same time. Will help save time and encourage collaboration. Like Google Docs, Slides, etc.

57 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  Anonymous responded

Thanks for making this request. In order to understand the use-case more better I have a few questions:

1. Whats the role of the different people working collaboratively on the same file. Are they always only designers or are other personas also involved.
    2. What is the use-case here, some parts of this request suggest an Editorial collaboration whereas others suggest collaboration amongst different designers. I am trying to separate these 2 requests out.
    3. What are the different kind of files (brochures, books, magazines etc) for which this is required.
    4. Does it need to be a web based service, or having the user be able to collaborate on one shared file using InDesign or InCopy on the Desktop will work? What is the advantage you feel over a web-service over the desktop app?
    5. How do you workaround this need today? What are the most important problems with…

8. Allow multiple files and Excel in Data Merge

Allow multiple files in data merge. Excel should also be possible as an import.

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

In backlog  ·  7 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. script action

Make a scripting easier by record functions in an action like photoshop

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Scripting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Facing Pages for Spiral Binding

Having the ability to see multiple pages together, without them connected in the center would be helpful for creating things like spiral bound books. This would allow bleeds for each page, while still being able to see the pages together for layouts. This feature would come in handy for more than just spiral bound projects. It would be handy any time you need to see two pages together, while still having bleeds for each page.

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Dependent font sizes

Allow for Character styles to have a font size relative to the underlying Paragraph style by adding and subtracting (or even multiplication and division). A Character style’s font size could be -2 pt or +2 pt for example. If the Paragraph style’s font size is 14 pt, the Character style’s fonts size would result in 12 pt or 16 pt. This is very practical for optical adjustment of different typefaces for example, keeping everything dynamic.

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Move "missing links" prompt to before PDF export dialogue.

Please move the "missing fonts" or "missing links" prompts to BEFORE the PDF naming and features preferences. I makes me nuts when navigate to where I'm dropping the final export, then name it, only to have an alert pop up telling me I'm missing something. I should be told that IMMEDIATELY.

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  7 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Easy way to convert text to outline while exporting

Most of our printers still ask for fonts to be outlined.
    Unfortunately the process to outline is very complicated and usually results in bullets, text box backgrounds and underline/over-lines disappearing. I also don't always want to flatten the whole document but simply rasterize the text. Especially when sending something to print that has different ink layers. Being able to outline text in the Export dialog box would be the best solution. This way I don't have to save a separate document or undo all my changes before saving so I retain my text in the Indd file.

53 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Option to have list indents work near text-wrap objects

Currently, when text containing bulleted or numbered lists wraps around an object, all indents associated with the list settings are ignored (this might be related to tab settings, since those don't follow the wrap either). The typical workaround is to change the Text After to an en-space and add an "Indent to Here" character, but the en-space trick won't work for numbered lists and "Indent to Here" won't work if the text wrap edge is not perfectly straight vertical. See the attached screenshot for a demonstration based on real work I did yesterday. In order not to disrupt existing layouts,…

52 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Ability to add color labels to individual styles to better organize and manage large lists of styles

Similar to how pages can be labeled with a color (also see layer colors in Photoshop).

51 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Border also as character style instead of only paragraph style

Title describes itself. I would like to have the ability to "span" one or more characters instead of a whole paragraph and assign a border to them. Just like I'm able to do with css

51 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow native generation of barcodes

The new QR code capability in InDesign is very handy and speeds up workflow. Please include similar functionality for all barcode types, including those such as: EAN, PostNet, UPC-A, UPC-E, KIX, ISBN, ISSN and others. The user should simply select the barcode type, enter the relevant data, and then InDesign will create a barcode in the proper size according to the standards. Of course, if the user wants to change the size for some reason, the object could be scaled. Allow selection of foreground and background color for the barcode, including transparency as the default. This will greatly speed up…

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Wavy line needs customize option!

We need “Wavy line” customize option, such as:
    (1) weight (2) wave height (3) wavelength (4) single/double line selection
    (see fig1.png and fig2.png)

Current wavy line design is not good for professional.
    When we change weight, the wavy size is automatically changed. We can’t control the size of wave.
    When we need to control the size and shape of wavy line, we have to create appropriate one by Illustrator, then link them. This takes lots of times of us.
    "Wavy line" customize option will definitely help us a lot.
    Japanese clients often designate to use wavy lines to underline.
    With…

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. EPUB CSS output could be improved quite a lot

So I’m currently in charge of Readium CSS, which is a project related to Readium 2 (link: https://github.com/readium/readium-2), a complete rewrite of Readium SDK, which you may know in the form of a Chrome app – this Chrome app is actually advised by InDesign engineers in the InDesign forums whenever a rendering issue pops up so I assume InDesign engineers know it exists.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of CSS issues piling up right now and InDesign’s output could really do with some significant improvements to allow for better cross-platform support and rendering. Indeed, Readium 2/CSS is meant to…

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  EPub  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Continue footnotes numeration

Add the possibility to continue footnotes numeration over different stories. For example, continue footnotes numeration on different chapters of a book, where each chapter is one independent file.

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Long Document Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base