How can we improve InDesign?

Adjust Layout - Off by default please.

Finding the new Adjust Layout in InDesign 2019 a bit of a liability as is turned ON by default.

Can you please add a setting to turn off globally and turn on only when needed? Currently doesn't seem possible.

Thanks

167 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update (14.0.2) of InDesign 2019.

If you are unable to see the update notification, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

The list of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Adobe InDesign team

107 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've downloaded the latest update and every time I try to print a page, InDesign crashes. Can you please fix this?

• Jon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hate when new features become the defaults. The new "Adjust Layout" checkbox in InDesign is annoying. Nothing more obnoxious than indesign scaling your images without giving you a notice, or considering the native resolution...

• Uwe Laubender commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Ravi,
    just tested build 14.0.2.321 from Prerelease.
    The issue is fixed. "Adjust Layout" in menu "Margins and Columns…" is turned off by default.

Thanks,
    Uwe Laubender
    ( ACP )

• GReg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm in 14.01 and this is still pushing my layouts around without my permission.

Please remove this intrusive and un-asked for time-waster and quality risk.

• Valerie Spencer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The adjust layout default is killing us. PAIN!!! Okay, slight exaggeration, but it is extremely inconvenient when proofs go jumping around unexpectedly if you happen to forget to unclick the default. Make that problem go away, please.

• AdminRavi Kiran (Senior Lead Quality Engineer, Adobe InDesign) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With this build (14.0.2.315), you will see the following:
    For a newly created document in new build: Adjust Layout is OFF (with clean/old application preferences)
    For an existing document created from either 14.0/14.0.1, where Adjust Layout was ON, it is ON in new build.

Please trash your earlier app preferences to see the change in Adjust Layout (it should now be OFF by default).

Adobe InDesign team

• Uwe Laubender commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Toby,
    I cannot see this with 14.0.2 on Windows 10.
    Not if I select pages in the Pages panel, not if I select pages with the Page tool.

What's your operating system?

Regards,
    Uwe Laubender
    ( ACP )

• Toby Nelson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've just downloaded the 14.0.2 update patch for this and 'Adjust Layout' in margins is STILL on by default.

Fix ASAP. Causing headaches. More thought should be given to consequences before adding "undocumented features", aka bugs.

• Kristin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates from Adobe when this disaster-of-a-"feature" will be fixed? It's killing my production team.

Totally agree – as a finished artist, this is a REAL nightmare, and I'm having to triple check files. Am going back to older version of InDesign to avoid it.

• Uadji commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The fact that there is no way to disable this feature permanently and that you have to un-check the box every time is maddening. This needs to be fixed ASAP.

• John Mensinger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, for some production people, this is an emergency.

OFF BY DEFAULT and a visible toggle in the default UI should take effect via patch ASAP.

• Megan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! Its a cool feature, but I rarely use it so it would be more helpful for me to be able to turn it on when I need it. Thank you!

• Brian Cornelius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i agree please change ASAP. this has been a nightmare and not everyone aware of adjustments being made if a. I love the feature but shouldn't be the default to be set to on.

• Phantom Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Abhinav, why is this taking so long to fix?
    It was a silly modification to begin with, but now it's a major user problem.
    I'm not sure who comes up with these plainly ridiculous updates.
    Can you not release a patch to address this one critical issue in a hurry ?
    It's months now - and still we all sit with the problem. I haven't come across one person who thought this was a good idea.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base