Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

How can we improve InDesign?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. MathML Support

We need to have InDesign to support MathML, this is much awaited feature, but not supporting in InDesign yet.

Currently we're using 3rd party plugins such as MathType, MathTools, PowerMath, etc. but not meeting our expectation, also high license cost than InDesign.

@ALL: Please support to include this feature in InDesign in the very near release.

232 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

51 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Variable font support

Please add support for variable fonts.

73 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Functionality to apply kerning before the first letter in a line

Feature Description: This feature should work like in Illustrator or Photoshop (even After Effects can do it). Please see attached screen capture.

How it should work:
    1. Insert the cursor before the first character in a line
    2. Use the kerning in the character panel or with the shortcuts (ALT + arrow keys)
    3. kerning should be applied

Why: This would be a productivity enhancement and make it much easier to optically align the first letter in a line manually without having to use the Optical Margin alignment that only works for a whole story.

58 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Bug in Merge paragraph borders

There is a bug in merge paragraph borders of CC 13.1. In thread text frames, the border is displayed immediately after end of paragraph.

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Independent column widths

Please add the option to have independent column-widths in a text frame. This would be really useful for text in nearly any letterhead footer.

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Ability to assign a shortcut to [None] in the Character Styles window.

Because you sometimes want to REMOVE a character style and it would be very beneficial to be able to use a shortcut for that as well.

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Easy way to convert text to outline while exporting

Most of our printers still ask for fonts to be outlined.
    Unfortunately the process to outline is very complicated and usually results in bullets, text box backgrounds and underline/over-lines disappearing. I also don't always want to flatten the whole document but simply rasterize the text. Especially when sending something to print that has different ink layers. Being able to outline text in the Export dialog box would be the best solution. This way I don't have to save a separate document or undo all my changes before saving so I retain my text in the Indd file.

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Static Endnotes

I need a possibility to turn off the automatic endnote function that appears in InDesign CC 2018. It may be practical for some applications, but it greatly impedes the flexibility of many designs. Can someone tell me if this is possible – the endnotes don't need to be dynamic for my purposes. The way they were imported when placing a Word document in ID CC 2017 was fine.
    Richt now, the only way I know to work around it is to use Peter Kahrel's footnote to endnote script.

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

41 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update (14.0.2) of InDesign 2019.

If you are unable to see the update notification, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

The list of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Adobe InDesign team

9. Option to have list indents work near text-wrap objects

Currently, when text containing bulleted or numbered lists wraps around an object, all indents associated with the list settings are ignored (this might be related to tab settings, since those don't follow the wrap either). The typical workaround is to change the Text After to an en-space and add an "Indent to Here" character, but the en-space trick won't work for numbered lists and "Indent to Here" won't work if the text wrap edge is not perfectly straight vertical. See the attached screenshot for a demonstration based on real work I did yesterday. In order not to disrupt existing layouts,…

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Continuous numbering of footnotes and endnotes; endnotes to separate chapter

PLEASE add these features to the footnote and endnote functionality of InDesign:
    - Continuous numbering of footnotes and endnotes throughout the various indd files within a book document
    - Ability to put the endnotes of the different indd files within a book document in a separate .indd file at the end of the book; numbering continuous OR per chapter.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Forced line breaks within text variables introduces an unavoidable letter space

When a forced line break is inserted within text that is used for a variable, a random, unavoidable letter space is introduced into the variable text.
    There are obvious workarounds, but a solution to this would be really convenient.
    See attached screenshots for example.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Grep style formatting for variables

Active linked variables and Grep styles do not work together.

When you use variables and paragraph formats with Grep styles, you have to set the variable back to text and lose the link, to enable formatting with the Grep style.

Variables should be handled by InDesign like normal text, with all features of formatting etc.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Let baseline shift be expressed as a percentage of the font size

If I've created a paragraph style, sometimes I add a character style with a different size for specific purposes, usually either a bullet point or a quote mark (to highlight a pullquote, for example).

In practice, this means a bullet point is usually smaller, and the quote mark is larger than the rest of the paragraph text. I alter this size as a horizontal and vertical scale, NOT a specific size in points, as this lets the characters scale in proportion when I alter the type size of the paragraph style.

However, I usually also include a baseline shift in…

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Would like a feature that would set type flush left to the longest centered line

I often need to set poetry extracts in books so that they are flush left to the longest centered line in the extract—see attached examples. 

The workarounds a cumbersome and/or time consuming. 

It would be great if there was a setting to do this automatically.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. orphans

In the paragraph options, we should have an option for how long the last word in a paragraph must be in order to turn down to its own line. Wording could be "minimum of __ characters on last line" And allow us to turn this feature on or off in addition to specifying the number of characters on the last line.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. please add the tools math and chemistry equation,

please add the tools or plugins ,how can create a math and chemistry equation in adobe indesign cs6 or cc upgrade version, i can't create a equation. i used olad applcaition adobe pagemaker 5 or 7 i can create the math and chemistry equation in it , but i cant create a equitation in it i used the 3rd party plugin
    http://www.mathmagic.com/product/pro.html , this appcation i used it in adobe pagemaker, but this plugin i can't used it in indign cc or cs6 , i want a eqautiion in text document in default setting , size and font ,
    reply…

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Endnotes as bibliography, reference one source multiple times.

When creating a bibliography often times you must reference one source multiple times.

the way that it is set up now, adding a new endnote creates a new entry at the bottom. there is no way to reference something twice.

Obviously this creates concerns when considering navigation, as it works both ways now.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Select multiple lines of text.

The ability to highlight text on different lines with a simple command or alt press.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow negative indentation!

Please allow negative indentation!

That would make all kinds of hanging bullets, chapter numbers and outdentations easy without any workaround (like "indent everything but the headlines and lists" ...). It would make text layout faster, purer and cleaner, as the type area could be correctly defined just for the copy text.

I think this simple change should be easy to implement and bring enormous relief for our craft.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16
  • Don't see your idea?

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base