1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Collaborative Editing

Create a cloud service for InDesign where files can be worked on by numerous people at the same time. Will help save time and encourage collaboration. Like Google Docs, Slides, etc.

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Need more info  ·  Anonymous responded

Thanks for making this request. In order to understand the use-case more better I have a few questions:

1. Whats the role of the different people working collaboratively on the same file. Are they always only designers or are other personas also involved.
    2. What is the use-case here, some parts of this request suggest an Editorial collaboration whereas others suggest collaboration amongst different designers. I am trying to separate these 2 requests out.
    3. What are the different kind of files (brochures, books, magazines etc) for which this is required.
    4. Does it need to be a web based service, or having the user be able to collaborate on one shared file using InDesign or InCopy on the Desktop will work? What is the advantage you feel over a web-service over the desktop app?
    5. How do you workaround this need today? What are the most important problems with…

2. Dependent font sizes

Allow for Character styles to have a font size relative to the underlying Paragraph style by adding and subtracting (or even multiplication and division). A Character style’s font size could be -2 pt or +2 pt for example. If the Paragraph style’s font size is 14 pt, the Character style’s fonts size would result in 12 pt or 16 pt. This is very practical for optical adjustment of different typefaces for example, keeping everything dynamic.

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow native generation of barcodes

The new QR code capability in InDesign is very handy and speeds up workflow. Please include similar functionality for all barcode types, including those such as: EAN, PostNet, UPC-A, UPC-E, KIX, ISBN, ISSN and others. The user should simply select the barcode type, enter the relevant data, and then InDesign will create a barcode in the proper size according to the standards. Of course, if the user wants to change the size for some reason, the object could be scaled. Allow selection of foreground and background color for the barcode, including transparency as the default. This will greatly speed up…

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Would like the Links panel to show status, resolution, color information for linked AI and PDF

It would be helpful to be able to view the following information for linked AI and PDF files in InDesign's links panel:

- Color space of linked AI and PDF files
    - Status of any links or embedded art in linked AI and PDF files
    - Effective resolution for links or embedded art in linked AI and PDF files

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Table of Contents

Table of Contents styles should be able to take a selected page range, and generate a TOC based on only that page range.

Many books have multiple TOCs these days — a master TOC up front, and TOCs at the beginning of each chapter or section, and often a hidden TOC that is used to generate PDF bookmarks.

Being able to limit page ranges would mean less manually edited of generated TOCs, faster TOC generation, and needing to use fewer paragraph/character styles to handle them!

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Long Document Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Static Endnotes

I need a possibility to turn off the automatic endnote function that appears in InDesign CC 2018. It may be practical for some applications, but it greatly impedes the flexibility of many designs. Can someone tell me if this is possible – the endnotes don't need to be dynamic for my purposes. The way they were imported when placing a Word document in ID CC 2017 was fine.
    Richt now, the only way I know to work around it is to use Peter Kahrel's footnote to endnote script.

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

43 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update (14.0.2) of InDesign 2019.

If you are unable to see the update notification, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

The list of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Adobe InDesign team

7. Continue footnotes numeration

Add the possibility to continue footnotes numeration over different stories. For example, continue footnotes numeration on different chapters of a book, where each chapter is one independent file.

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Long Document Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. GREP code table

Make a GREP code for table in Find/Change box dialogue

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Need more info  ·  Anonymous responded

Hi All,

Can you explain how this would be used, is the end goal to find a some stuff restricting the search to Tables, or is it something else. It would really help if you can share how you plan to use this new GREP code for tables.

Thanks
    Javed

9. Wavy line needs customize option!

We need “Wavy line” customize option, such as:
    (1) weight (2) wave height (3) wavelength (4) single/double line selection
    (see fig1.png and fig2.png)

Current wavy line design is not good for professional.
    When we change weight, the wavy size is automatically changed. We can’t control the size of wave.
    When we need to control the size and shape of wavy line, we have to create appropriate one by Illustrator, then link them. This takes lots of times of us.
    "Wavy line" customize option will definitely help us a lot.
    Japanese clients often designate to use wavy lines to underline.
    With…

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Groups, Smart Groups, and Searching in Links Panel

The links panel should support Groups and Smart Groups. Large numbers of links in projects -- especially those that include a lot of InCopy assignments -- get unwieldy.

Ideally you would be able to make groups and manually move links into them, and also create smart groups that would automatically update. Ideas for common filters that smart groups would be used for:

All CMKY images, all non-CMYK images, all InCopy links, all links that need to be updated, all links that are embedded or not, all links that are currently on a Hidden Layer or hidden via conditional text, etc.

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Hiding Pages in a Document

It would be helpful to hide pages in a way similar to hiding columns in Excel. I don't want the information gone, I just need to minimize it so I can focus on the specific pages I need. Accessing this action via a right click in the pages menu would be ideal.

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Content aware fit in object style // InDesign

Please make it possible to use the function "content aware fit" for images in an object style.
    // InDesign

Thanks, Heike Burch // www.moliri.com

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. "Force quit" a background task

In all the years that we've had background tasks, I've almost never been able to cancel one successfully. Whenever a task hangs up for unknown reasons, and I hit cancel, it just hangs on the 'cancelling' step and the only way to stop it is to force-quit InDesign, which can equal lost work and damaged files.

I would like to see a more assertive way to force shut down of a background task that isn't cooperating.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Change the Eyedropper Tool back to default on the tool bar instead of the Color Theme Tool.

The standard Eyedropper Tool used to be the default option on the Tool bar. This was convenient for sampling colors as well as text styles. Now, there is no way to change the default from the Color Theme Tool to the Eyedropper. The Color Theme Tool has its place in Illustrator, but as InDesign is mostly used for text, it is crucial that the Eyedropper Tool is quickly accessible. In my career, I have barely used the Color Theme Tool in InDesign, whereas I use the Eyedropper daily. It is frustrating for my coworkers and I to now change it…

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. disable "live-update" of cross-references

we are working on large document (about 600 pages) with many cross-references (over 3000).
    This leads to a very slow performance and makes working with the document a real test of patience.
    It would be great to have an option to temporarily disable the "live-update" of the cross-references!

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Long Document Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Forced line breaks within text variables introduces an unavoidable letter space

When a forced line break is inserted within text that is used for a variable, a random, unavoidable letter space is introduced into the variable text.
    There are obvious workarounds, but a solution to this would be really convenient.
    See attached screenshots for example.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Would like to be able to include fonts and links from linked Illustrator files when packaging an InDesign file for print

would like to be able to collect fonts and links in linked AI and PS files when packaging an ID file for print.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Support for Multicores Performance

The most of us have powerful mutlicore computers. I think for sure indesign coult have a huge performance boost with Multicore support.

Until now only powerful 3D programs or video software uses that power. I think in addition of GPU Support it would be a significant performance boost with multi core support.

For an Example: i got a i7 Quad Core Mac. While writing a big PDF, indesign just uses 1 core.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. select similar

It would be helpful to have a select similar feature for lines and other drawn objects like in illustrator because sometimes I need to change a bunch of things to a different line weight and currently must manually find and change them. I always miss it when I'm working in Indesign instead of Illustrator.

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Form Field Calculations in InDesign

With InDesign's form tools, we're missing the ability to add calculations to form fields in InDesign, and that task must be done manually in Acrobat.

To start, I'd like to be able to build simple calcs into my InDesign forms. Example:

And expense report has a form field for each day of the week, and then a total for all of the days. Would like a simple summation calc that I could use for rows of fields or columns of fields. Or both!

Another example: multiplication of quantity times price. Or multiplication of 5% sales tax on an amount field.

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base