Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• or

327 results found

1. Crash on Launch

When launching InDesign and Illustrator 2018, I get the attached alert. Illustrator will always show this alert but does function. InDesign will always show this alert and it opens once. Thereafter it will crash on launch every time until I reinstall it and then I get one launch again and repeated crashes on launch until I reistall. This is on two separate Macs running HIgh Sierra

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. Book-PDF pixelated

Hello Support Team,

I have been having an annoying InDesign issue for quite some time:

I have a total of four computers available (1x HomeOffce, 1x work, 2x from colleagues) on which InDesign is installed. In each case the same program version (version doesn't really matter in this case, but current on our systems is 19.0).

On ONE COMPUTER, since installing InDesign about 3/4 year ago, I have the problem that the PDF output of a book always produces pixelated graphics.
    When I output single documents, the quality is correct, exclusively with the PDF output from a book it is…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. No warning about missing links when exporting to jpeg or png

If I have a document with a missing link, I get a warning when exporting to PDF that there are missing links. If I am exporting a jpeg or a png of the same document, I don't get any warnings at all about missing links and simply get pixelated graphics in the output.

Exporting to a bitmap image should have the same warnings about missing links that exporting to PDF does.

1. InDesign 18.4 (Windows), but this has been the case for several versions now.
    2. Place a graphic, then move the linked file so that it shows up as missing. Export…
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. [ID 17.2.20] Import xlsx spreadsheet: formatted numbers are truncated

MacOS 10.15.7 (19H1824) French localization
    InDesign 17.2.0.20 (17200)
    Excel 16.58 (16.58.22021501)

When importing an Excel sheet as a table, every number is truncated before the first thousand separator (which is a space in French).
    1 457 will be imported as 1
    21 457 >> 21
    (21 457) >> (21
    -210 457 >> -210
    621 457 >> 621
    and so on…

After a lot of tests on several configurations and discussions on the Adobe forum, I can say that the issue will only occur on French macOS systems, starting with Catalina. No matters what version of InDesign is used (15.0 thru…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Multiple copy paste functions

I have been using the Indesign program for a long time. He has made very good progress. This is what I expect from you. We can only paste one copy with the copy paste command. It would be great if it could copy multiple texts separately. For example, when copy-pasting 3 or 5 different texts, you need to do each one by one. It would be much more practical if we could copy them all and name them like copy 1 copy 2 copy 3 and paste 1 paste 2 paste 3 options while pasting. I wish you good luck…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. space before and after ordered and unordered lists

I'd like to space before and after fields added to the Bullets and Numbering panel of paragraph styles. I often prefer to base my ULs and OLs on my body style which includes the space applied to the end of the paragraph. I can remove the space but then my list item lack the proper spacing for the last item in the list. I fix this by creating a last item style and apply it manually but this is a real pain. It would be nice to have space before and after fields to adjust the padding around a list,…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Footnotes won't number sequentially; cannot select multiple or all footnotes

When I place a Word document with footnotes into InDesign, the footnote paragraphs become separated from each other. I cannot click and drag to highlight text from more than one footnote, and I cannot use Command>A to select all the footnotes. Command>A only highlights all the text from the single selected footnote. Furthermore, the numbered paragraph style applied to the footnote paragraphs won't recognize that there was a previous paragraph flowing to it, so each paragraph is numbered as number 1. Even though "continue from previous" is selected in the numbering options. Also, the numbering style from Word imports as…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Indesign 2022 text kerning distorted suddenly

Suddenly my text is previewing all jumbled/kerning completely out while creating a layout that was previously absolutely fine.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. In the Table of Contents panel, make the 'Include Book Documents' option persistent and part of the style

I am writing a book, with 18 chapters, each as a separate InDesign document, but all collected in a single Book.indb.

I just now returned to writing the book after a several months break. Wanting to update my structure, I did Layout > Table of Contents and clicked 'OK'. My Table of Contents disappeared!

After investigating, I realized that the 'Include Book Documents' option in that panel had become unchecked.

I checked that option, ran Table of Contents again, and found all my table of contents entries generated successfully. Yay!

HOWEVER, when I went to regenerate the Table of Contents,…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Exported PNGs or JPEGs RGB Colors Slightly Different Versus Illustrator Export For Screens

So here is the situation and setup.

Illustrator File with Pantone Colors (Book LAB colors)
    Color Settings are synced via Bridge (NA General Purpose)
    Illustrator file is in CMYK Mode

In Illustrator File is exported to PNG (via Exported for Screens)

In InDesign the same Illustrator file is placed in InDesign and then Exported as PNG file.

When looking at the attached image the RGB values are slightly different most noticeably in the red. When looked at with the eyedropper in PS the CMYK values read as the same on both but the RGB is slightly different.

For example:

InDesign…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. STACK ORDER BUG: Deleting page 1 and 2 causes object to change stack order on subsequent pages

Problem
    1. Discovery of text box missing from page 39 in printed Catalogue.

Review
    1. Immediately review INDD document to attempt to recreate error and report to client preliminary findings.
    a. The bug effects the stack ordering of objects on subsequent pages. In the Food & Beverage case, this missing text box from page 39 was in fact simply “underneath” the background yellow box.
    b. Error occurs when splitting out the cover pages to a separate document (to allow for a spine), whereby Page 1 and 2 and last 2 pages of document are deleted. Software bug appears to only…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. InDesign 2021: Application Frame

Set the application to not separate and hide document window from the Application Frame.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. no correct hyphenation of German words with dashes

In German we have many terms consisting of two or more words with dashes in between. Everybody would hyphenate these naturally behind the dashes. InDesign is unable to do so, but suggests multiple wrong or ugly hyphenations and leaves the dashes as if they were non-breaking hyphens, which they are not! I know this problem since several years. I had it in CS5 and 6 as well as in every later version and today in InDesign 2020.
    For example: In cookbooks there are often intermediate products consisting of two or more ingredients. Some (artificial) examples:
    Das Mehl mit dem Kakaopulver,…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. InDesign Server taking long time to initialize

SUMMARY
    Recently it's been taking longer than 5 minutes for InDesign Server to spin up a new instance when executed by Windows system. This issue appears to be user specific. 

SYSTEM
    Operating system version: Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
    Processors: Intel Xeon CPU E5-2690 v4 @ 2.60GHz x 4
    Adobe InDesign CC Server 2017 12.0.0.81

ISSUE:
    InDesign server seems to be taking a long time (> 5 minutes) during initialization.

COMMAND:
    ./InDesignServer.exe -configuration [name] -port [number]

OUTPUT:
    Initializing InDesignServer for port 57106: ================================================================================
    InDesign CC Server Version 12.0 x64 .
    Copyright 1999-2016 Adobe Systems Incorporated and its licensors. 
    All rights…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Ba

I am using InDesign for the first time in a few months.
    I am having issues with previewing my document.
    I am on a MacBook Pro 16 inch 2019, Version 11.3.1, using the most updated InDesign 16.2.1.
    Please fix!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. index

RE: Index / Table of Contents

When creating an Index, you are limited to populate ONLY one Index style format. MS Word, it is greatly inferior program, and yet you can create a General Index, a Index of Cases and Index of Figures. Indesign is the leading industry program for designers and writers, NOT MS word.

What happens if have lots of illustrations, data tables graphs and flowcharts all numbered accordingly. For example, an illustration (Figure 20 or Table 7), maybe on page 40, but there are 40 mentions throughout the document. Thus, in Indesign, you can not create a…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. I'm using Windows with InDesign cc 2018, but I can't seem to export a single page from a multipage document.

I know I can export separate pdf files, but I don't want 90 separate pages, I should be able to simply select one page and export it, with the printer's marks. I also tried to print to pdf using the print settings, but was unable to create a pdf file with the printer's marks and bleed, even though these were selected in the dialogue box.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Printing scale issues when printing with different color output options for composites

Hello everyone,
    spotted nasty printing bug.
    When printing using "scale to fit", OUTPUT->Color: Composite and OUTPUT->Color: InRip or just Separations then the prints do not match (crop marks, image etc.) between "Composite" and "Separations".
    Paper size and printer model doesn't matter.
    Versions tested: InDesign CS6, CC17, CC18 all on OS X 10.10, 10.13
    Test file attached.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Indesign Choose Page Size

Make immediate tabbing between Width and Height without going thru Units.
    Right now goes 1-Width 2-Units 3-Height
    Should tab 1-Width 2-Height --- Units should be separate

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?