Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

88 results found

1. export book to pdf slows the mouse respond

Every time, when I export whole book into PDF file, my mouse starts to move with steps. Everything else is working more or less normally, but moving cursor is almost impossible.

Cursors respond with huge lag - around 1 sec, and moves in steps, what makes impossible to use the mouse.

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

20 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Repackaged book-document cross-references do not update file path

A series of documents in a Book have cross-references to one another. All are correct and working properly.

I create a new package for my publisher and test the cross-references:
    they are pointing at locations in my original files rather than the ones in the new package.

Since those files exist, the cross-references have good status. Moving that package to a new computer breaks them, of course.

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. loading TOC-styles between various Indesign-files

InDesign version 16.4

When loading a newly created TOC-style from one InDesign-file to an other file, it copies more than just the possible TOC-styles. I loaded the TOC-styles of an InDesign-file with a smaller font and spacing and the load copied these other settings as well.
    It seems that the 'Load TOC-styles' loads all available styles, including Paragraph- and Character-styles.
    The selection-list that is available when loading Paragraph-styles and/or Character-styles is also missing.
    This makes it impossible to load TOC-styles between different InDesign-files which use the same Paragraph-style names.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. The Book panel does not remember its size and location

The Book panel is the only panel in InDesign that doesn't remember its size and position when you close and re-open it.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a new book (File > New > Book). The book panel is shown at the centre of the screen. No need to add documents to it.
    2. Move the panel to another location on the screen, and change its size in the usual way (click-drag on a corner of the panel).
    3. Save the book and close it.
    4. Re-open the book.

Expected behaviour: the book panel is opened at the same location and at the same…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Book panel is a special type of panel that is always associated with the .INDB file – unlike other panels where there is no actual association with a file on disk. The panel also shows the name of the Book file. If that INDB file is deleted, then the panel does not have any meaning.
    Only when the Book file is opened is the Book panel available. So it can’t be part of a workspace & thus its size and location also can’t be fixed as there could be multiple Book files that can be opened simultaneously.

InDesign team

5. Hyperlinks between documents in a book file don't work

I am producing an interactive pdf with hyperlinks to move between pages within the pdf.

I am doing this using a book file containing 22 indesign documents however some of the links do not work.

All of the hyperlinks within each document work fine but any that link between the documents just send you to the first page in the book and not to the specified page.

I am using InDesign CC 13.0.1 on Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.3

I have produced interactive pdfs in this way before without any issues so this has become broken in one of the…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Master pages not updating through book synchronize feature

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server: 14.0.1 x 64
    2. Steps to reproduce the issues: a. Make changes to master page in document. b. Using flyout menu in book document, change Synchronize options to synchronize master pages c. Select synchronize from that menu option or highlight documents and choose the synchronize icon at bottom of book panel
    3. Expected result: Master pages will update to match the master pages of the Style Source document
    4. Actual result: Some master page elements are updated correctly, but others are not.
      Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
    9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Warnhinweis "Dokument wurde außerhalb des Buches bearbeitet"

Wird eine Buchdatei bearbeitet und geschlossen ohne das das Fenster Buch geöffnet ist, wird das Dokument mit dem Warnhinweis "Dokument wurde außerhalb des Buches bearbeitet" markiert.
    Dieser Fehler tritt nicht auf, wenn das Fenster Buch beim Schließen oder Speichern geöffnet bzw. angezeigt wird.
    Es ist kein Grund für dieses Verhalten zu erkennen. In den letzten ID Versionen trat dieser Effekt nicht auf.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Thanks for reporting the issue. We will review it.

-InDesign Team

8. Crash when working with book TOC

I have a book with 10 chapters. I created a TOC earlier and left it for a few months while working on the chapters. When I try to update the TOC, the program crashes. I've tried the create new TOC files. Same result.
    Same issue on both desktop and laptop.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Thanks, we were able to reproduce the issue and looking into it.

-Aman

9. Saving BOOK file (.indb) acts as SAVE AS

Adobe InDesign v16.1 (12 Feb 2021 release)
    Windows 10

This bug has appeared again, after disappearing for a couple of versions. But it was in a previous version a few months ago.

When the Book properties panel is open, I make changes to my Book file (.indb) and then close the Book panel or select "Save" from the panel menu. It asks me do I want to save.

Yes, I want to save... but the dialog box is acting like a Save As... It's asking me for a file name, then asking me to overwrite the existing file, instead of…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. File name editor in book tool

It would be incredibly useful if you could use the book editor panel to be able to rename the underlying file. For instance, just before I finalise a textbook, I would like to be able to put chapters numbers in as a prefix to each file.

At the moment, I have to remove "all" the files from the book. Or rename the files after closing InDesign. Then I patch up the book by using the resultant errors to remind me of which file goes in which sequence in the book. This process is very time consuming and unnecessary, considering the…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. button links missing after TOC update

If I use TOC bookmarks as my destinations for interactive buttons, the Button destinations get lost after updating the TOC. All the button destinations revert to the first item on the buttons and forms list. So it makes it impossible/hard to create a working interactive pdf.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Index "Number Style Override" not working on multivolume works

InDesign is not recognizing "Number Style Override" on a book document with seven documents. Only recognizing the overrides on the document in which the index is generated. Major suck points there.

I'm running Mac OSX Mojave, 10.14.1, on a MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch from mid 2015. InDesign CC 2019.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Faulty save facility when updating cross references across a book

When using the update cross-references on the Book panel of CC2020, it opens each chapter, it then updates the references, but then asks you to save and overwrite the chapter that it has updated. Maybe this is suitable for some, but I find it is frustrating when you have to agree to the file's same name and then agree to overwrite when you have over 20 chapters to go through every single time I update cross-references.

CC2019 used to open, update and save the chapters without questioning you. Maybe this is an option I have missed under Preferences.

Kind regards…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. table of contents bold italic

1. Use a style for a header that converts text to bold face.

2. Use that header style to have header text that includes some italics.

3. In the Table of Contents pane, associate that header style with a style that is Regular type face.

4. When updating the Table of Contents, the entry for that header will correctly have Bold text replaced with Regular text, but will leave Bold Italic text unchanged. It should replace Bold Italic text with Regular Italic text.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Table of contents problem

Hi.
    i am concerned about table of contents generation under indesign cc 2019 (14.0.1).
    When the titles to be placed in the table of contents are in a text box, everything happens normally. On the other hand, when the titles are in a table, the generation of the table of contents does not happen properly. See attached example.
    Thank you in advance for your answers.
    Christophe.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. book sync object-format does not work as it should

InDesign CC 2018 (13.1)
    MacOSX 10.12.6

Hello

We often use the InDesign book functionality for very large and complex documents. In these documents we use also a nested/grouped object for images containing a frame for image caption and a frame for the image. Where the caption frame does not have a contour, the frame for the image has a contour. For every frame we have created an appropriate named object format. As long we use this nested/grouped objects in a single document, the appropriate object formats work as espected. When we use a clone of this "master" document for further…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Export from book file default to wrong filetype

CC 2017 12.0.0.81
    Using the regular export menu, export an interactive PDF. That becomes the default. But now I want to export a Print PDF from the book panel, it keeps defaulting back to interactive PDF. So to make its I don't have to remember to choose Print PDF (for every single export), I have to first export a random Print PDF using the regular export menu, just to switch the default in the Export Selected files to PDF option.

The two export locations: File > Export and using the flight from the Book panel, shouldn't be tied together. They…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. In-Design still doesn't support the Automated Numbers in "Devanagari Script" Indic Language Marathi & Hindi

Hello Team, since i am using In-design for my work almost everyday, and a die hard fan for using Unicode fonts for Indian Language (JFYI I mostly work in Hindi + Marathi languages and Devanagari Script used by both these languages) and I use many fonts including that of Adobe and locally developed Unicode fonts

the Major issue I am facing is In-Design still doesn't support the Automated Numbers in "Devanagari Script" they still appear in English / Roman Numerals, which is a very annoying thing to see page numbers & auto numbered lists Showing Numbers in English / Roman…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. table of contents very buggy

i think i know how to use indesign cc's table of contents feature, but it doesn't seem to work as advertised, or demonstrated in numerous videos. i cannot get the revisions to the toc paragraph styles to effect changes in the toc itself. despite the revised and selected paragraph style showing the new redefined settings, the toc only changes what is highlighted (not the rest of the elements in that style) and then reverts back to the original display on update. will be faster to just design it as a text block, which i don't think is the point. anyone?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Crash: book-panel shows unopened file as opened, when saving Indesign crashes

I noticed an issue with the book panel.
    For some reason sometimes it shows the icon for "file is open" on some files even though they're not opened in Indesign.

When I open and want to save them, Indesign want me to define a filelocation again. It seems that Indesign lost the connection to the original file then.

When saving the file (I usually overwrite the existing one) Indesign crashes.

See attached screenshot for the "opened file"-icon in the book panel.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?