Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• or

608 results found

1. Bug: Find/replace fonts doesn't work on hidden conditional text

Version: Indesign 17.x
    Problem: when opening a document that reports a missing fonts, replacing all instance with "Replace all" buttons might not work or not replace all when the text is conditional and currently hidden.
    It's understandable that "Find first" cannot work on hidden text, because that would mean to reveal it, but "Replace" all wouldn't jump to any text part in the document, so it should work.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. InDesign is very slow when all or most of the fonts in the document are missing

This problem occured for the first time already in the 14.0 version and version 14.0.1 didn't fix the problem. When all the fonts or most of the fonts are missing in the document, scrolling between spreads is very, very slow. InDesign freezes for few seconds when scrolling from spread to another (see the attached video file). Please let me know if you need more details.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Style Mapping to [Basic Paragraph] doesn’t work with remembered settings or presets

When you place (import) a Word document into InDesign, you can choose to use Style Mapping to map the paragraph and character styles in Word to their equivalents in your InDesign document. When you use this feature for the first time in a document, the mappings get stored somewhere and are remembered for any subsequent imports you perform in the same document; you can also choose to save your import settings, including Style Mappings, as a preset to use freely in any document.

If you map any Word styles to the default [Basic Paragraph] style in InDesign, it works as…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Flipped text in PDF created from Canva

When placing a PDF with certain stylized fonts, the text is being flipped and enlarged. Seems to be specific to Mac OS.

PDF docs have been created in Canva. They appear correctly when opened in Adobe Acrobat Pro, both on Windows and Mac. They are being placed in InDesign, and at that time the text titles being flipped and enlarged. I am working from v. 16.0.1. This was not an issue in previous versions. When I use png docs instead, and place those, I have no issues. I have been an Indesign user for about 3 years.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Software changes

I use InDesign daily for my publication and when you keep changing things, it throws me off and wastes my time.
    I used to be able to print to save pages to the same folder, but now when I print to save a page, it takes me to whatever folder I most recently placed an image from. VERY frustrating. Also, I now have to scroll to get to my most recently used fonts rather than the drop down font list being automatically positioned at the top with most recently used fonts.
    I wish you would just STOP changing…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Search box when updating link

When I want to update a link and press the link button, an "open/find file-window" is opened. I then often want to search or the file using the file name, but when I press the search box in the upper right hand corner this box is suddenly shrunk to a much smaller size which very small font which is thus illegible (this does not happen when I do the same maneuvre in e.g. Windows Explorer). I want the box to remain the same size so I can see the search term I type.
    I tried to attach screenshots in the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Bug in Adobe World-Ready Composer for Kannada Language

Attached are Adobe Indesign document, Scribus (v1.5.3) document, PDF outputs.

Fonts used: Hubballi available at https://github.com/erinmclaughlin/Hubballi/blob/master/build/Hubballi-Regular.otf

Tunga: Available in Windows 10 as part of Kannada language pack.

Scribus uses "Harfbuzz" text shaping engine. It doesn't any issue shaping Kannada text, except for one case; U+0CCD U+200D which is canonical equivalence of U+200D U+0CCD. Harfbuzz has accepted this bug and will be fixed in the next release. https://github.com/behdad/harfbuzz/issues/435 https://github.com/behdad/harfbuzz/issues/341

Adobe indesign Adobe World-Ready Composer has lots of bugs with shaping Kannada text.

Please rectify as soon as possible.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  Sumit Garg responded

Thanks for reporting this issue.
    We have verified this issue and forwarded this issue to our Indic languages expert team for investigation.

Once investigation is complete, We will definitely update this post.

8. Footnote reference disappears when adding Unicode 1D513 into line

I am using InDesign 14.0.2.

We are a book publisher, and we sometimes use a special character in some of our academic work: a gothic P—the Unicode character 1D513 (Mathematical Fraktur Capital P). See: https://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/1d513/index.htm

However, it does something very wonky with footnotes, which seems to be a bug. If we insert this character—Unicode 1D513—in the same line as a footnote reference, it makes the footnote reference disappear. The footnote stays in place. We have tried different fonts, but it doesn't seem to be font dependent. However, if it is in the same line, but after the footnote reference,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. InDesign v 16.1, Mac OS 11.2.3 on M1 laptop. Adobe Typekit does not consistently load fonts into InDesign.

Please check the Typekit usage and activation in InDesign. This is a huge problem that is slowing me down. I am trying to load Freight Neo Pro and it is missing intermittently from my files. Other fonts from Typekit have also done the same thing. I also use Suitcase Fusion to manage my own installed Fonts.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Character style has trouble spanning more than one line

It used to be that InDesign had no trouble when a character style ran more than one line. From some time, including InDesign 16.2.1, if a character style is applied to a string of text that starts on one line and continues to the next line, for example the last few words on a line and the first few words on the next line, InDesign will force all the text with that Character Style onto the next line, and space on the text on the previous line to span the entire line.
    However, if you don't use a Character Style…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Major Bugs Lately in InDesign

I have noticed some major issues with InDesign lately. Today I uninstalled InDesign completely and reinstalled it, but I am still having some problems. My computer is barely a year old, MacBook Pro, so it shouldn't be a computer/power issue.

The first thing I noticed was duplicate pages appearing in a long document I was working on. I deleted the "extra" pages and continued working on the document until I realized now I didn't have those pages at all! So I had to go back and add them back in all over again and reformat everything and add in hyperlinks.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Missing glyphs in a Right-to-Left Paragraph direction

1. InDesign Middle Eastern Version 18.4.0.56

2. Steps to reproduce the issues:
      a. In Preferences>Composition>Highlight, turn on Highlight for missing glyphs.
      b. Type in a text box open and closing parenthesis.
      c. Toggle between Right-to-Left and Left-to-Right Paragraph direction.

3. Expected result: Missing glyphs should not be affected by paragraph direction.

4. Actual result: When the direction becomes Right-to-Left the parenthesis are highlights as missing glyphs.

Additional Information:
    If you type one Hebrew letter before and after the parenthesis, the parenthesis will be highlighted with missing glyphs also on Left to Right Paragraph direction.

I tried with various fonts, all behave the same.…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Multiple variables cause issues when creating a Table of Contents

Version 14.02, Mac
    I have a chapter title with nested character styles. Parts of the chapter titles are used to create headers on the subsequent pages. When I try to create a table of contents that includes those headers, there are multiple page numbers coming in. (The page numbers come in twice). I can see this is a known bug since ID 2015, but thought I would mention it is still a problem.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. InDesign crashes when adding Cross-Reference

Adobe InDesign CC 14.0 (Macintosh)

I click Window > Type & Tables > Cross-References. With my cursor in a text box, I click "Create new cross-reference". Sometimes it crashes here; sometimes it opens the dialog.

When it opens the dialog, there is nothing in the Cross-Reference Format dropdown. I can click the pencil and open the Cross-Reference Format dialog and create a new format, but when I click OK the whole program crashes and closes out.

I am not experiencing freezing where I need to force-close -- it closes out completely, immediately.

I created a blank doc and am able…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

15. InDesign 2022 crash when updating modified links in an existing document

I just updated to InDesgin CC 17.0. I have a MacBook Pro 2020, with OS 10.15.7. Trying to open an InDesign CS 6 file with modified links to other InDesign documents causes the application to hang up and I have to force quit it. It doesn’t matter if I choose update links or don’t update links in the dialog box. In trying to quit and reopen I did manage to recover the document, but I still cannot resolve the modified links problem, since the application hangs up every time I try to update the links in the links pallet. Same…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Random missing text which does not affect the PDF output

Greetings,
    Please compare the two screenshots that I've posted. One is a shot from InDesign, and the other is a screenshot from the PDF output of the same text. As you can see there are some missing lines in when I look at the text in InDesign.
    Some notes:
    1) It always happens with list items (bullet lists, numbered lists)
    2) The random missing text parts changes as I change the magnification (zoom) level
    3) It happens on all my documents
    4) I haven’t changed anything recently. No InDesign updates, etc.
    5) The font used is Minion Pro and supplied…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. hyperlink removes style

This is ID 19.4.

Hello– I have a character style applied to some (but not all) of the text in a TOC (see Attachment 1). As a test, we'll consider the word BELFAST, which has this specific style applied to it: font Roboto Bold, size 10, leading 12, All Caps, PMS 5275 CMYK.

However, when I use the 'Add Hyperlink' function to the entire text block (from BELFAST to the page #), the previously described style I have applied onto BELFAST is removed (see second attachment).

The particular TOC I'm showing you is short so no biggie, but I have…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Text appears heavier over a transparent image

When text is in a layer above an image that has its basic blending mode set to "multiply" the text is rendered with a darker outline. This does not appear in the final PDF, only the preview, but it makes it extremely difficult to judge font sizes and whether text is bold.

To reproduce:

1. Create text in a text box.
    2. Insert a JPEG image on the page.
    3. Use the Arrange option on the image to "send to back" so that it is in a layer below the text
    4. Use Effects > Transparency on the image and set its blending mode…
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. printer

InDesign fails to print on networked printer.

Installed HP OfficeJet 6958 using HP "Wizard" to download drivers and install.
    Printer is installed over wireless network (connected through router).

Same error occurred when installing Canon iP110 using downloaded installer (it installed as Canon iP110 Series WS) (But CAN print to Canon iP110 installed through "add printer")

All other applications print fine, including PhotoShop and Acrobat.
    InDesign goes through print process (window pops up to show pages being processed), but does not print. File does not appear in printer queue.
    This occurs with all documents - graphics, non-graphics, etc.

I have:
    -…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. erratic and missing cursor in text frames

My setup: Windows 10 Pro, InDesign CC 14.0.2 x64, Ben-Q monitor.
    My cursor behaves properly when I use the Select tool, but when I use the Type tool, the cursor becomes very tiny outside of a text frame. If I click within a text frame, a vertical cursor blinks. However, to maneuver within the text frame, I need to use the cursor keys on my keyboard! I've tried changing the cursor settings for my system and restarting my computer to no avail. Please do not tell me to "trash" my preferences. I've spent a lot of time setting up a…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base