How can we improve InDesign?

Allow bullets and numbers to hang outside of the text frame

There is currently no way to make a bullet or number hang outside of a text frame properly. The "optical margin alignment" feature control is iffy at best.

Attached are two photos that show what I mean.

In the first example, the "Correct" green bullets are not achievable in InDesign unless every other paragraph except for the bulleted paragraph has an additional positive left indent on all of its lines. It would be so much easier if we could just add a negative left indent to the first line of the bulleted paragraphs.

In the second example, a document that I'm working on, in order to get the numbered lists to hang into the left column, I have to add a big left indent to all the paragraph styles in my document.

18 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jack Brannen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Dax Castro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Referring specifically to your hanging-bullets.png - Technically , bullets are sub topics from the main paragraph and therefore really should be inset. I accept that as a matter of style if you choose to have them hanging outside your paragraph, but technically this is incorrect formatting. :)

• Line commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I always manually set the indentation for the rest of my paragraph styles to match the text position on my bullet points. This is an awful workaround, so i definitely vote for this feature!

• Tom L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I voted for this feature request but would be better as a part of another request: 'Allow negative indentation!'

Feedback and Knowledge Base