How can we improve InDesign?

Vertical lines between text frame columns

Add an option to add vertical lines between text frame columns (with, of course, options to choose line weight, color, etc).

111 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Luis Felipe Corullón shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Debra Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with making this feature available in the text frame options, under the gutter information.

You could have have tick box options to:

align it to cap height/baseline etc.,
    centre on gutter,
    align left/right on gutter

Allow us to choose the line style, weight and colour.

• Steve Jenks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should definitely be a text frame option, not a paragraph style option – for that we now have paragraph borders.

• Anne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would appreciate it if Adobe made an object - level option for putting vertical rules in text box gutters.

• Grant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a great feature addition. I just completed the survey and hope to hear back on it.

• Luis Felipe Corullón commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I made de lines using a text frame and a white space character with underlined paragraph style. This textFrame respects the wrap preferences. So, if I use a photo with wrap on, the lines will keep the text height. Am I clear?

Scott described the feature better than me. The attribute depends on the gutter width, not the paragraph. I think about same options as the simple lines feature. But between columns, within the gutter of a multicolumn textFrame.

• Scott Falkner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Javed,

Paragraph borders would be a separate (and welcome) feature. This feature would apply only to paragraphs in multi-column frames and the rule would appear n the gutter only, not outside the frame. The rule position would be determined by the gutter width, no t an attribute of the paragraph.

As I said, the question remains whether this would be a paragraph attribute or a text frame attribute. Perhaps it makes more sense as a text frame attribute.

• Admin[Deleted User] (Admin, Adobe InDesign) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

*****, the request that you are making here seems more like a request for *****************. Since Paragraph Rules already exists, it seems that only the vertical lines for the sides are missing, or am I mis-interpreting you here.

• Scott Falkner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Javed,

Interesting question. Would this be a paragraph-level format or an object level format? I think it should be a paragraph level format. This will allow overrides for any test that users don’t want included.

Users should be able to select the position for the top of the line and the bottom. This should include offsets and what the point (start.end) is relative to.

For the top of the line it should be relative to: Top of frame, Text area, Ascent, Cap Height, Leading, x-Height, or Baseline. For text-based positions it would use the highest available point.

For the bottom line it should be relative to: Bottom of frame, Text area, or Baseline. For baseline it would use the lowest available baseline.

The stroke options would be the same as for paragraph rules.

• Admin[Deleted User] (Admin, Adobe InDesign) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Marc, ****, I too agree that having a workaround as proposed by **** may not be the best experience and would have numerous limitations.

What I was trying to say is that since that feature request is also concerned strokes for a frame, this feature could be an additional option where in case of a text frame the user would have additional options of choosing to display stroke for the lines between the column.

Let me know what you think?

@Marc, I don't think so... Because if the textFrame is divided in more than 3 columns, the middle ones won't receive the line, because, as I understand, the textFrame has only two sides (even if offset option, we'll be able to position the lines just in two columns).

Hello, Javed. I think these feature requests could be one new feature in InDesign. The hability to set different strokes for each side of a frame and, if it's a textFrame, the hability to add intercolumn lines (of course, with options to set different stroke styles, colors and all the other options InDesign already has to stroke lines).

• Marc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

someone has already suggested allow-different-coloured-weight-strokes-for-sides. If this option had the option to offset the stroke you could get line between columns maybe that way

Feedback and Knowledge Base