Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

How can we improve InDesign?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Duplicate page along with new swatches

Would love it if i was able to duplicate a page along with its swatches and the new page would now be linked to the new color swatches. This way i could change all the colors on the page and it would only apply to that page.

Alternatively, perhaps i would be able to create new swatches from a page, and the page would now automatically be linked to the new swatches so i could globally change a color but only for that particular page (because it created and linked new swatches for the page).

I would love this please.

7 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Change the Eyedropper Tool back to default on the tool bar instead of the Color Theme Tool.

The standard Eyedropper Tool used to be the default option on the Tool bar. This was convenient for sampling colors as well as text styles. Now, there is no way to change the default from the Color Theme Tool to the Eyedropper. The Color Theme Tool has its place in Illustrator, but as InDesign is mostly used for text, it is crucial that the Eyedropper Tool is quickly accessible. In my career, I have barely used the Color Theme Tool in InDesign, whereas I use the Eyedropper daily. It is frustrating for my coworkers and I to now change it…

34 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Locate where a specific colour is used in your document

It would be really useful to be able to find exactly where a colour is used in a document. When you get a document from a third party and there are extra colours in it that you are trying to eliminate it is sometimes very difficult to track them down.

You can convert the colour to a spot colour then turn on separations and do a visual check but, apart from being time consuming and relying on it being large enough to be easily spotted, it won't help if the colour has been defined as part of a style.

129 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

In backlog  ·  14 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Color management application Adobe CC 2019

Application CC 2019, Indesign, Illustrator, Bridge can not synchronize color settings.
          You can not save color settings in color management for individual applications.
          After restarting the application, it is the default setting

4 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • color picker isn't consistent with other software.

Please allow users to change color picker to Photoshop color picker. Indesign is great except for the nuisance of having a horrible UI for the color picker. I make all my colors in photoshop copy the code then paste it into Indesign.

7 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Add swatch to default list for future use

When you create a swatch in colour picker and add it to swatches, give an option to "add to default" menu, so it forms part of the default set when you open a new document.

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• The color picker in InDesign is AWFUL!!!

The color picker in InDesign is AWFUL!!! Please use the same color picker from Photoshop and literally every other software you have.

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Color/swatches Library

In PS and AI, there're a lot of built-in color/gradient libraries, and when you want to select a color, you ca just append them or open a color library, but in indesign, there're no ways you can do so, a lot of the color selecting work is done by guessing unless you know which color you want to choose

I hope there will be a built-in color library (if the interactive buttons can have a built-in library and why don't we add a sample color library?

I know the "Official" way to do this is using Adove Color Theme Panel,…

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Color Picker Shortcut

There are a bunch of ways to select color in InDesign, but the easiest and omnipotent way is using color picker, unfortunately, there's no way to call it out in Indesign unless you double-click the fill/stroke icon in the tools panel

and theres no way to add a customised shortcut to the color picker panel as well. I really wish to see this feature in future InDesign

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Color Swatches Menu too small and not resizable

In InDesign CC 2019 the Color Swatches Menu is too small and not resizable, like in CS6. It was very useful to resize the menu so not to have to scroll in a small window through the many colors of some projects.

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Order of colour swatches when loading from another document

When loading colour swatches from other documents, can you please adjust the program so it brings them in from top to bottom or the same order as the document it comes from. It is so frustrating they load from the bottom of the list first and have to manually pull the main colours back up to the top every time. And there doesn't seem to be a button to switch the order. Unless you can advise me...

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Same color management in all adobe product

This will be a great feature for simplicity and collaborative work.

Actually, each program have a different system for choose color, and I'm sure you can improve that with give the same logical and features in all program.
                          Import photoshop palet in Indesign or Illustrator and vice versa...
                          Add the Color them Tool in photoshop and Illustrator...and maybe why not in After Effect and Premiere...
                          Sure you can do something great and identical in all your great products, even if you have not need CMJN/Pantone etc.. colors in video projects.

24 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • PLEASE!!!! The most powerful design app in the world, and after all these years STILL no HSB in the color picker.

Hue, saturation and value are by far the best ways to create and use color, in nearly anything. All of the other color selections/spaces (CMYK, RGB, LAB, etc) should flow from there, secondarily. Illustrator and Photoshop have always supported HSB(V), and yet as amazing a design tool as InDesign is – it still doesn't. Many of us have been asking for years, and I'm surprised that there aren't more requests ... I think many of us have given up. You can do it, Adobe! You would make a lot of designers very happy, and add a very powerful missing feature…

47 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Stop Giving a Fill Color When Using the Line Tool.

My OCD makes me switch the fill color (when using the line tool) to No Color. It would be great if there was no fill color when using the line tool.

23 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • The current Pantone Plus Color swatches (Color Bridge in particular) are not being updated when the Adobe software updated with updates

The Pantone Swatches do not update when updating Adobe software in the cloud. And updating with Pantone Color Manager is completely inane.

I have the most recent update for Adobe (InDesign CC Release 2017.1, and a build of 12.1.0.56 x64) and have loaded the most recent Pantone Color Manager to update the Pantone Plus Color Bridge colors (i started with one color library... updating all libraries would take at least a half day)

After updating:
                                1. I can no longer search for colors as I used to, so I manually have to scroll through the whole list to find the…

16 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for reporting this issue. We understand why the present behavior is not desirable for your needs.
                                  We are going to consider this as a new Feature Request. Accordingly, we’ve moved this to the Feature Request category.

Thanks,
                                  Adobe InDesign team

• Change Color picker

As a long time photoshop and illustrator user I can't handle the InDesign color picker. For a while I would get my color code from Photoshop/illustrator then copy that color into InDesign but it's become such a pain I've stopped using InDesign all together. At least give us an option for a color swatch that matches the other designs. It's literally causing my to give up using the app completely!

22 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • gradient improvements when clicking on single color

On gradient palette, it could be useful to double double clicking on a pattern to change its color with a popup. Something like Illustrator or Photoshop

5 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • 2 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Go to Source of Color

I would like to go to objects linked to a particular swatch; similar to how you list objects in the Links panel and go to them with the GoTo icon at the bottom. Might be too lengthy to list connected type, but would come in handy for vector objects.

2 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Live color update when using color picker on a fill

When an object that can be filled is selected i can't use the color picker to see a new color without clicking OK repeatedly to see how it looks. Why can't it update in real time?

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base