How can we improve InDesign?

PLEASE!!!! The most powerful design app in the world, and after all these years STILL no HSB in the color picker.

Hue, saturation and value are by far the best ways to create and use color, in nearly anything. All of the other color selections/spaces (CMYK, RGB, LAB, etc) should flow from there, secondarily. Illustrator and Photoshop have always supported HSB(V), and yet as amazing a design tool as InDesign is – it still doesn't. Many of us have been asking for years, and I'm surprised that there aren't more requests ... I think many of us have given up. You can do it, Adobe! You would make a lot of designers very happy, and add a very powerful missing feature to an otherwise awesome app. Thanks.

64 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Steve Brown shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jaime Paulo Lopes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree, I have to keep photoshop open to use the HSB in there and then copy the hex value into indesign...

I just don't get why???

• BenXYZ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HSB works because it presents color choices in a clear and concise way: You can pick a hue by traveling up and down the spectrum, and then chose its brightness and saturation. Simple and effective! Try to do that within the RGB or l.a.b. UI framework. You can, but you need an in-depth technical knowledge of those color spaces to navigate them. HSB is not perfect, but thus far, it is the most natural color space to pick colors on the screen and the most suitable for designers and artists. The ways some color spaces work on the computer are technically sound, but, perceptually, they are nightmares when it comes to picking and adjusting colors from within the color space. Because in InDesign you can create both print and digital media, it's crucial to include RGB, CMYK, HSB and HEX input. HSB is the most intuitive and consequently should be the first one on the list. It's unbelievable that the InDesign team has neglected us for so long.

• Eyal Matalon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is unbelievable it's not possible in 2019. I don't understand how is that even possible . really.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree. HSB is THE colour picker tool – unfortunately still missing in InDesign.

• Pete D'Agostino commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm curious what designers feel like LAB is a viable way of choosing a color. I've been in this game over 25 years and still haven't seen anyone reference it or spec a color that way.

• Hans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has InDesign never had HSB? I can't believe it, it's like taking away a letter from the keyboard! But I can see that I'm at least not the only one who's shocked. Lazy work is what it is. Please Adobe, HSB now. Thanks.

• Micah Beard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The thing that is so appealing about the HSB color picker is that it is so easy to use. I think there could be a more intuitive CMYK color picker that would be true to the CMYK color space, but still use the same user interface as the HSB color picker.

• Skies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HOW has this only 21 votes?
    I can't even change the brightness of a color with a slider, this is ridiculous. It's 2018 boys!

• Jake Birnbaum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you're in Illustrator, selecting a color in CMYK color space using HSB, the color changes slightly to conform to the CMYK color space. This makes it easier to select colors, since HSB is the standard for selecting colors in every other application in the Adobe Suite. Except for Indesign? I love Indesign but it feels like I'm using a relic every time I have to use it's color picker. I understand that it's more accurate, especially for a print color space, but it's hard to start from a CMYK color space when you're looking for a specific color on the fly, and it's easier to switch to a lab space for pin-point accuracy. It's unintuitive and makes saturating colors and creating color palettes a nightmare. Surprised this hasn't been added already.

Feedback and Knowledge Base