Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• or

151 results found

1. Never break a word with Thai hyphenation dictionary

In English it is possible to add a hyphenation word to the user dictionary and if you want the word never to be hyphenated, type a tilde before its first letter. This will force the word to never break.

However with Thai you can add the word with the tilde but InDesign will not respect that word. The word will still be broken.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Adding anchored frame to the text corrupts the text

Hello there,
    We have noticed this problem while dealing with Arabic/Persian/Urdu text (regardless of the fonts used). English text works just fine.
    When anchored framed is inserted, the vowels in the Arabic/Persian/Urdu text and sometimes evens the characters in the text shift. The foreign text is typically perfectly fine prior to inserting the anchored object however changes. See before and after examples:

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Fonts' OpenType features not working in Composite fonts in InDesign

When using any Hebrew font in InDesign, the diacritics (nikuds) are displayed in their correct location. This location is set within the fonts by using OpenType features such as ccmp (for glyph substitution) and mark (for glyph positioning). InDesign recognizes and applies these features.

When this font is used as part of a Composite font in InDesign, the result is quite different. It seems like the ccmp feature is honored but the mark feature is not.

The diacritics shift and the length of the text increases. Some of this fluctuation can be mitigated by Diacritics Position feature in InDesign however…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Text originated from MS Word yields problematic results when exported to HTML (excessive <span> statements)

I’ve stumbled upon a bug evident in text originated from MS-Word, which affects the HTML structure when exported from InDesign. Originally I encountered it with Hebrew text in heavily-style-driven paragraphs, however I re-created it in a completely “clean” style environment as well:

(1) Create a new file in MS-Word. Type some text into it (as “Lorem Ipsum”).

(2) Copy the text and Paste into InDesign.

(3) Reset the Paragraph Style; then apply a Character style to the text (it could be a Character style with no attributes).

(4) Paste the same text into Notepad, then Copy it again from Notepad…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Adding anchored frame to the text corrupts the text

Hello there,
    We have noticed this problem while dealing with Arabic/Persian/Urdu text (regardless of the fonts used). English text works just fine.
    When anchored framed is inserted, the vowels in the Arabic/Persian/Urdu text and sometimes evens the characters in the text shift. The foreign text is typically perfectly fine prior to inserting the anchored object however changes. See before and after examples:

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Bug Copy&past onto Indesign CC 2019

The copy-paste function from another software (Adobe acrobat, word, pages, etc.) to Indesign CC 2019 14.0.1 does not work under mac os 10.12.6. This works very well on the Indesign cc 2018 version. I restart the application with CMD + ALT + CTRL + shift to restore the preferences, but the bug persists. Can you help me ?. Sorry for the quality of my English, I'm French. Thank you

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Import XLS with coupled cells

InDesign cannot import a XLS with "coupled" cells (Sorry - I don`t know what it is named in the english software).

If e.g. "B2" and "B3" are coupled in the XLS, the content will appear in InDesign only in "B2", "B3" is emty and the cells are not coupled. The same is up in cells over lines.

The Bug is not new. Is it really hard to repair?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Profiles conversion doesn't work anymore with InDesign export PDF

Hello,
    Sorry for my approximative english.
    It's no longer possible to do high-res PDF export from InDesign because it doesn't convert color profiles correctly (it seems InDesign consider there is no profil on imported documents). Same conversions works fine on Photoshop.
    We use InDesign CC 14.0.1 and joboptions we made (PDF/X-1a:2001 - Acrobat 4 (PDF 1.3) - convert to destination : ISO Coated V2) with Bridge coordination.
    We're a big french comic books publisher and it's a very important problem for our workflow.
    It's like a bug, I try some things I found on forums, but nothing works (delete…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. language quote typographer

I create epubs which contain different languages so need the language correctly attributed on xhtml files after exporting –

selecting different languages in different paragraph styles affects typographer's (curly) quotes/straight quotes – I'd expect the to follow the app preferences setting –

Advanced Character Formats > Language > [No Language] = gives straight quotes

Advanced Character Formats > Language > English: UK = gives typographer's quotes (curly)

Advanced Character Formats > Language > cy_GB = Welsh = gives straight quotes

InDesign 17.1 – Mac OS 12.1 – iMac (Retina 4k, 2019)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. [v15.0.1 up to v15.0.3.406] Link in Hyperlink Panel green, but incorrect

Another bug that has unfortunately crept in and is just noticeable: in the hyperlink panel, links are shown as okay (green!!), but they contain control characters (e.g. conditional line break <- I don't know if this is the correct English name, see in Text as control character like this: | ).
    The control character is (of course) exported and the link does not work in Acrobat.

The link does not work in InDesign either, but if the light shows green, the function is useless.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. spell checking for hyphenated expressions

Spell checking has changed with the most recent release, and expressions which were previously acceptable (and which the Oxford Dictionary of Amercican English thought were correct are now being rejected. For instance: crash-landed.

The same problem appears with French text, and there the problem is more difficult, as French has lots and lots of hyphenated expressions. "bric-à-brac" is one I've come across already. Le Petit Robert thinks this is correct, and all previous versions of InDesign did too. Please fix. :)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Publish Online Incorrect German translation

Publish Online.
    As reported in the forums:
    In the "readerView" is a translation error in the "language-dropdown-content"
    it should read "Deutsch" (without the "e" at the end)!!
    "Deutsche" would be reffering to "several German people" not the German language. That is ALWAYS "Deutsch" only.
    Looks weird for a "Deutsche" :-) Would be like reading "Englishes" as a language option...

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. InDesign CC 2018 ME text frame problem

InDesign CC ME 2018

I work with international magazine. Usually I work with English text but once i a while I have to do some Arabic content. I installed Indesign CC 2018 ME on my machine and it works perfectly well except. When I create a new document in InDesign CC ME which is normal meaning reads from left to right and try to place a doc document into it text frame appears to be right to left and this issue is totally inconvenient.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Crop tool namings for german version are irritating

A view months ago I was posting this issue to the community board already. :-) Thanks to Mr. Tyson for directing me to this page here:

Dear InDesign team,

please take a look on https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/placing-graphics.html
    The assistance describes the differences between the three boxes named "crop", "trim" and "bleed".

Well, in English there is no mistake if I'm going to import a PDF into my InDesign document, e.g. I'd like to display the final cutted format, than I choose for "Trim" or if I need to prepare a page for professional print shops than choosing "Bleed".

But in the german…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. When exporting a Thai document to PDF, footnote numbering goes wrong after the ninth footnote.

When exporting a Thai document to PDF, footnote numbering goes wrong after the ninth footnote.

InDesign 17.4 (on Apple M1)

To reproduce,

1. Create nine footnotes however.
    2. Create a new paragraph wholly in Thai (which you can do by copying something over from the Thai Wikipedia, or just the following text: ย่อหน้า.)
    3. Place a cursor behind some distinctly Thai character (i.e., a consonant or vowel, not a punctuation mark).
    4. Insert the tenth footnote.
    5. Write the tenth footnote wholly in Thai.
    6. Export the document to PDF

The footnote number (as a superscript) in the body should be 10, and the corresponding footnote…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Interface while using : no preview

When I use the scale tool with MORE than one text block, I can't see the block content while checking the "preview" box. I can only see changing the size of the blocks but they seem empty up to clicking on "OK" button. This happens only with many text boxes (or block, I don't know how you call them in english) . You can see a screenshot linked to my message. If I do the same with many image boxes, all is ok. If I do the same with only one text bloc, all is ok.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Control characters breaks 'regular' font rendering

I pasted some cells from Excel into an Indesign text box. After that, the text rendering was completely distorted garbage text). Worse, I couldn't select the "Roman" font anymore, in any open document. Upon testing, that included many "normal" fonts like Georgia Regular, Minion Pro Regular and Warnock Pro Regular. I tried switching to International English MacOS and Indesign, I tried several versions from Indesign 13.1 back to CS6, and on Mac and Windows – same thing.

Finally, I discovered the control characters in the Layout text editor, and when I removed them (and restarted Indesign), everything was back to normal.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Pasting Chinese text from illustrator to Indesign changes the content of the text. Help!

I have text in Illustrator that are in Chinese, using 苹方-简 typeface. When I copy and paste the same text into Indesign, the text changes into new characters.

I know you need to expand the characters to use as vectors, but sometimes we need to change the text and go back and forth before finalizing. The question is why does it not do that for english text? I copy and paste between illustrator and indesign all the time, but this is the first time I've come across changing the text content completely.

Running CC 2019 for all.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Paint and lines disappear

Indesign 2023, Mac OS 12 Monterey (other similar reports in Catalina and win10)

Phenomenon
    Fill and line disappears when copying an object.

Reproduction procedure
    1. Select an object with fill and line to surround it with the direct selection tool.
    2. Grab the anchor point and copy by option+drag.
    3. The object without fill or line is copied.

The same result can be obtained by selecting an object to enclose with the direct selection tool, and then copying with the Object menu > Transform > Move.
    If you select an object by clicking directly on the fill area without surrounding…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Wrong Swedish translation (greyscale downsampling) - very old bug!

InDesign 15.0.1
    MacOS 10.15.2

The word "under" marked with red should say "över" not "under".
    There should be three "över" "över" "över".
    The English version use "above" "above" "above".
    The Swedish version of Illustrator and Acrobat use "över" "över" "över".

It's a clear mistake in the translation. No debate needed.

I found the file below with Google. It's made in 2005 with InDesign CS. The same error can be seen at page 20.
    https://docendo.se/ovningsfiler/Färghantering.pdf

So it's a stupid irritating error in the Swedish translation that no-one ever bothered to fix.

Could you please just do it now?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?