Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. InDesign makes incorrect QR code words and we can't decode QR codes correctly.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Object->Make QR Code...
    2. Input strings "問題は日本語を正常に扱えるかどうか。".
    3. Result QR Code is incorrect.

Actual Result:
    Sometimes, we got the wrong code in Japanese locale.

Any Workarounds:
    Here is Japanese character strings "問題は日本語を正常に扱えるかどうか。".
    This was coded into the InDesign try and get "image1.png".
    Then, we try to decode it at ZXING decoder. Here is a decoded result (image2.png)

42 1e 59 58 fe 9a 18 ce 38 1a fe 69 7a 5e 69 ca
    ce 8a a9 ee 38 29 2e 6a da 3e 5b 8b 8e 38 1a be
    68 9b 1 8 0a ce 09…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

2. With Adjust Layout ON, Text Frames shrink to extremely tiny size on changing Margins.

I am working in Adobe InDesign CC 2019 14.0.1. When I have a manuscript already flowed into my document and try to adjust the margins on the master page with Adjust Layout enabled, when the new margins are applied to the document, all the existing text boxes "disappear." From what I can tell, they have been resized down to an infinitely small point in the middle of the spread. Obviously, this is not useful. I used to be able to adjust the margins across an entire book-length document in one go with layout adjustment, and the text on every page…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Indesign performance issue : Slow work of Indesign when editing text with large footnotes

I'd like to report a bug. Please follow the scenario below:

1. In a single column with lots of text in it, make two columns for a fragment of text

2. In text within the two-column setup, make a footnote. Add several lines of text to the footnote

3. Turn on the "Span Footnotes Across Columns" feature so that footnote ends up in the same group with the footnotes at the bottom of the page rather than below the two-column fragment

4. Expected behaviour: normal editing can be performed after these manipulations

5. Observed behaviour: any text editing after turning…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Color Settings Not Sticking

Upon updating to InDesign 2019 (14.0) my color settings are no longer retained.

As soon as I quit the app and restart the color settings go back to "Emulate Adobe InDesign 2.0 CMS Off"

I have reinstalled the app.
    I have wiped all settings.
    I have cleared the Adobe Color Cache folder.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

5. [macOS] soft return converted to hard return in InDesign Tagged Text

Affected version:
    14.0.3 [macOS]

Steps to reproduce:
    In a New document, make a new text container.
    Enter this sample text:
    “line1 \n line2 \r line3 \n line4”
    where \n = shift+return
    and \r = return
    “line1{{shift+return}}line2{{return}}line3{{shift+return}}line4”
    Set space before or space after to 0.125”
    Export as Adobe InDesign Tagged Text, Unicode format.
    Import result using File > Place

Expected result
    Soft returns and hard returns

Actual result
    Hard returns only (soft returns converted)

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. InDesign in Windows ALWAYS forgets app size and position!

This has been a persistent pain for many YEARS. Everyone knows that an app should open to the last position and size. That's what the double-box icon is for in the upper right corner of the window border. Every single application in WIndows honors this "requirement" for Windows conformance.

InDesign forces Windows users to reposition and resize the program every single time it is opened. This becomes a tremendous nuisance, and in any other program would be considered incomplete and unprofessional. PLEASE, for all the users who don't know how to report this bug, and for those of us who…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

7. Accessible PDF Exported from ID contains SPANS in Reading Order panel

InDesign Version: 13.1

To reproduce issue, create an InDesign document with some styles, map styles to tags and export to PDF with tags (accessible pdf).

Expected result is that in the Reading Order panel (and Content pane), each paragraph is wrapped in an appropriate container.

The actual result is that each line of text within a paragraph is wrapped in a span container.

Although this doesn't seem to directly affect the accessibility of the file, it makes additional remediation difficult because of the many containers found in the PDF file.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    We acknowledge that the issue is slowing you down and we regret the same.
    Our investigation suggests that the issue lies in the latest update of Acrobat and there is little that can be done at our end to resolve the issue.
    The problem has been communicated to the relevant team.
    In the meanwhile we are closing this thread for InDesign.

Regards,
    InDesign Team

8. InDesign CC (13.0.1.) - Often can't save as InDesign-Document (error code 0)

InDesign often says that it can't save my InDesign-Document, because its damaged (error code 0) . It damage my files, so that i've to save as IDML.

Annoying.

Cant't reproduce the problem.
    I work local, so it can't be an connection-problem.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3

9. Table headers disappear when pasting

Several times now I've cut & pasted a table from one part of my document to another only to find the headers disappear. Inserting a row makes the headers reappear.

I'm usig 12.1.0.56 x64 build.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. mouse lag in indesign when photoshop window open

Experiencing terrible mouse lag in indesign, the cursor flickers constantly and it feels like the mouse is swimming through mud. Nearly enough to make the program unusable. Reinstall fixes the problem temporarily but it returns within 30mins.

I have identified that this only happens when a photoshop window is open behind or next to the indesign window.

Indesign 13.1
    Photoshop 19.1.2
    Mac os sierra 10.12.6

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you all for your patience while we were testing this issue.
    Our investigation tells us that this is a hardware issue.
    It seems that when the older version (obsolete, 30 Hz) of Apple Adapter is used to connect the MBP to the external monitor, we run into this issue. This may happen with some older 3rd party adapters also.

However, with the newer model/update of Apple Adapter (60 Hz) {https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MUF82AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter} or with newer models of 3rd party Adapters, this issue will not happen. We have tested with this newer model (both Apple Adapter and a 3rd party Adapter) and we don’t see this at our end.

Please try using the newer model of the Adapter and see if this issue goes away.

Adobe InDesign team

11. InDesign 13.1 Crash when show "Margins and Columns" Dialog and click "OK"

1. Version InDesign 13.1
    Testing Windows 10(1709) and macos 10.13.4, same results

2. Steps
    1 Execute InDesign 13.1
    2 Show "Margins and Columns" Dialog (Application Default)
    3 Click "OK" button
    3. Expected result
    Crash InDesign
    4. Actual result
    Don't crash

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

12. Shortcuts and keyboard keys stop working.

CC2018, Windows 10, latest update as of 01/18/18, x64 system with 12GB RAM. I often have to close and reopen documents or InDesign itself for shortcuts and some keys to work. There does not seem to be a common cause or specific file(s) that sets it off and it may or may not happen to all open documents if more than one is open. Generally closing the document and reopening it helps, but there have been times where I have to restart the program for anything to work. The issue includes any shortcuts and sometimes keys such as the arrow…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Indents not holding after page break

1. InDesign CC 2018, though I logged this bug for 2017 as well. It may also have existed as far back as CS6. I had hoped it would be fixed in this release.
    2. Create a paragraph style that has a left indent and set text in that paragraph style. Set enough text to flow onto a second page.
    3. The text should retain the left indent after the page break.
    4. Sometimes, the first line of text after the page break does not retain the indent.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

The fix for this issue is now available in InDesign’s latest version, id 14.0.3.
    Please update your InDesign to try out the fix.

Note:
    If you open a file which already has this issue, in the new version, you may continue to see the issue.
    To resolve such cases, you may SAVE AS the file or do a force text re-composition as the workaround

However, all the new files created in the new version will not have this issue anymore.

-InDesign Team

14. No keyboard focus on launch

InDesign 14.0.1.209, macOS Mojave 10.14.2

When launched and the following conditions hold, InDesign does not seem to have keyboard focus (i.e.., no keyboard shortcuts work):

1. Show ‘Start’ Workspace When No Documents Are Open is unticked.
    2. The Control bar is open in the default workspace.
    3. The CC Libraries panel is either not in the default workspace or collapsed.

Note that conditions 2 and 3 are met by several of the standard workspace, for example both Advanced and Typography (but not Book, Essentials or Essentials Classic).

If you choose a menu item or click in an input field, the…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Data Merge not populating fields CC2019

I use Data Merge for variable data production every day. I am using IDCC2019 v14.0.1. iMac 27 inch late 2013. OS High Sierra 10.13.6. Processor 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5. 16 GB memory.

This problem started with IDCC2019. I link to .csv for data merge. When exporting to PDF, I choose a record range – for example 1-1000. In the PDF result, the first page is not the first record. It is a random record in the middle – for example, 319. It merges records 319-1000. Then the remaining pages of the 1000 page output are not populated – in the…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

16. Indesign CC 2019 14.0.1 xmp-information for images cannot be copied

1: Indesign 14.0.1
    2: open any link details for any placed image/XMP-information
    3: I want to copy text from this window to clipboard (like credit-information). This was possible in Indesign 2015.
    4: it is not possible to copy text.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

17. Drag-duplicating an object with Alt key pressed does not duplicate, if moving on a separate page

If I try to duplicate an object to another page, across the pasteboard border, by holding the Alt key and dragging with mouse, the object only moves there. If I want to duplicate an object to another page, I have to first duplicate it on the same page and then move it to another page.

However, as that is unintuitive, I still constantly try to duplicate an object across the page border, leading me to undo back after I find out the object didn't actually duplicate, but instead I have moved the original object (and oftentimes edited it a lot…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

The fix is now available in the Beta builds of InDesign. You can download the latest beta build from Download section of InDesign Prerelease portal.

1. Go to adobeprerelease.com
    2. Log in with your Adobe Id.
    3. Once logged in, search for “InDesign CC Prerelease” program in the list.
    4. Click on the program to join the same.
    5. You can download the latest available build (15.0.0.129) from “Builds and Plugins” section on the page.
    6. The steps for installing the build can be found in the release notes.

Adobe InDesign team

18. Rollover images "stick" in Interactive PDF

Hi, I am working on the document that contains multiple rollovers. All of them "stick" at one point or another, the images will change to "rollover" state but not to the normal state when hovering off. This is very confusing for the end-users. Please see attached pdf. I am using InDesign CC 2018.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. cross-references bug introduced with 2018.1 update

The 2018.1 "search" added to cross-references is great and will be very helpful. Unfortunately it appears that a bug was introduced in the process of adding this feature.

When you double-click on a cross-reference in the Cross-References panel, it opens the Edit Cross References window. This used to open the window to the cross-reference you selected so you could edit it. Now, it opens the window at [All Paragraphs] with the first paragraph in this list selected.

This is a MESS for my workflow, as I now have to search through the cross-references to find and select the one I…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Indesign performance issue : Bad performance when using span columns in InDesign/InCopy

VERSIONS
    Windows 7, CC 2015.4 and CC 2017.0
    Windows 10, CC 2015.4 and CC 2017.0
    macOS 10.12, CC 2015.4
    even CS6 versions are affected...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
    1. Create an InDesign document with several pages
    2. Define the text frame options with two columns
    3. Link all frames and fill with placeholder text
    4. Create a new paragraph style with the option "span columns" (e.g. title)
    5. Define several parts of the layout with the new paragraph style
    6.…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base