Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Shortcuts and keyboard keys stop working.

CC2018, Windows 10, latest update as of 01/18/18, x64 system with 12GB RAM. I often have to close and reopen documents or InDesign itself for shortcuts and some keys to work. There does not seem to be a common cause or specific file(s) that sets it off and it may or may not happen to all open documents if more than one is open. Generally closing the document and reopening it helps, but there have been times where I have to restart the program for anything to work. The issue includes any shortcuts and sometimes keys such as the arrow…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

49 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Non-Printing Layers in Italics

InDesign no longer italicizes the name of non-printing layers in the layers panel. This made a scan of which layers were printing or non-printing quick and easy.

With the 2018 update, it seems like non-printing layer names just display as a SLIGHTLY lighter weight of the standard layer name type, making it hard to tell which layers are doing what at a glance.

An update that clearly demarcates non-printing layers would be appreciated.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. New defined Character Color in Paragraph Style not visible

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
      Adobe InDesign CC Version 2017.1 Build 12.1.0.56
      MAC OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

2. Steps to reproduce the issues
      Create a new Paragraph Style
      Go to Character Color tab
      Create new color with a double click in the black square
      Define some values for C/M/Y/K and click OK

3. Expected result
      The new color shoud show up at the end of the existing color list

4. Actual result
      The new Color don’t show up
      After changing to another tab and back the color show up

5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
      Video…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

4. Can't share from Adobe Comp CC on the iPad (which is the whole reason I signed up for a trial)

Sharing to InDesign causes Comp CC to Crash! The whole reason I signed up for the InDesign trial is to see how it works with Comp. Please fix or extend my trial until this has ben handled!

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Color Settings Not Sticking

Upon updating to InDesign 2019 (14.0) my color settings are no longer retained.

As soon as I quit the app and restart the color settings go back to "Emulate Adobe InDesign 2.0 CMS Off"

I have reinstalled the app.
    I have wiped all settings.
    I have cleared the Adobe Color Cache folder.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

6. Cannot resize Epub Interactivity Preview panel

I can not resize the Epub Interactivity Preview Panel at all.
    I am using the latest InDesign CC 2018.

SWF Preview panel is fine.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. anchor

1) Version of Adobe InDesign: CC 2018 (latest release)

2) Steps to reproduce the issues:
    i) Create a text box with type tool. Enter text.
    ii) Create a text field with "buttons and forms" or insert a picture.
    iii) Anchor text field (or picture) to the end of the text in the text box.
    iv) Drag text box into Articles panel.
    v) Ensure "Include Article" is selected.
    vi) Select "use for reading order in tagged PDF" in Articles panel menu.
    vii) Export to PDF (save as interactive is using the text field).

3) Expected result:

Text field (or picture) will…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Make bulleted lists act correctly when it's moved by text wrap

The bullets on the image attached have a left indent of 3 mm and a first line left indent -3 mm, but have incorrect layout, because the adjacent text box has text wrap applied, which displaces the text with bullets.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Indesign performance issue : Bad performance when using span columns in InDesign/InCopy

VERSIONS
    Windows 7, CC 2015.4 and CC 2017.0
    Windows 10, CC 2015.4 and CC 2017.0
    macOS 10.12, CC 2015.4
    even CS6 versions are affected...

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
    1. Create an InDesign document with several pages
    2. Define the text frame options with two columns
    3. Link all frames and fill with placeholder text
    4. Create a new paragraph style with the option "span columns" (e.g. title)
    5. Define several parts of the layout with the new paragraph style
    6. Edit some text near the paragraph style
    --> the performance while typing is very very bad!!!

EXPECTED RESULT
    InDesign and InCopy…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have been able to improve the performance with span columns but it is till work in progress.

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the incremental fix.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0

-InDesign Team

10. InDesign, InCopy: linked copy and image files randomly broken

We are a group of 16 graphic designers working on Macs. Our OS are varied between Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave. We work in InDesign 14.03 and 15.02 (with linked InCopy assets), Bridge 9.1 and 10.03, Photoshop 20.0.8 and 21.1, and Illustrator 23.1.1 and 24.1. We work on Box Drive and store our layout files and absolute-linked image assets there. It is critical that we are able to work on each others’ files in a high-volume, high-production environment. We don’t believe this is an issue related to our connection speeds.

Looking for a resolution to these issues:

InDesign: Not all…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Spell check issue

So there is a bug with Indesign 2020 causing Spell Check to not function.

This issue can be replicated by taking a file that was previously created in Indesign 2019 and opening it and saving in with Indesign 2020. Spell checking that document will not work. No matter what settings you try it doesn't recognize any of the text.

If you open the original document before converting it or working on it with 2020 spell check works perfectly.

You can also take a page from the 2020 document that isn't spell checking, Open a new file in 2020, cut and…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix is now available in the latest Beta build of InDesign – InDesign 15.0.3
    Please download the latest beta build from Download section of InDesign Prerelease portal to test this.

1. Go to adobeprerelease.com
    2. Log in with your Adobe Id.
    3. Once logged in, search for “InDesign CC Prerelease” program in the list.
    4. Click on the program to join the same.
    5. You can download the latest available build (15.0.3.416) from “Builds and Plugins” section on the page.
    6. The steps for installing the build can be found in the release notes.

Adobe InDesign team

12. Links export to PDF creates "Null Alt Text" attribute in tagged PDF

When an ID 15 file with hyperlinks is exported to Tagged PDF, unless you assign alternative text to the Links in ID, the Link tags will have a "null text" attribute which prevents the content of the Link tag from being read by a screen reader. This is a problem for several reasons. Not everyone chooses to add alternative text to hyperlinks. It's a UA, but not a WCAG 2 requirement. An automated accessibility checker like Acrobat's or even PAC is not going to flag this. Most people do not do a "Jaws check" of the PDF they are remediating…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Type tool still deselects itself InDD 15.0.1

The bug has been already reported, it's been claimed to be fixed in 14.0.1, but actually still persists and never was corrected.

Typing "T" just selects the type tool very briefly, then changes back to the previous tool. Clicking inside a text frame has the same result, even if you get to select some part of the text, it just changes back tot he previous tool in most of the cases. The only way to get it work, is to select the tool in the sidebar, however even there it takes several seconds to become active.

Using InDD 15.0.1 on…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Media panel crash

I’m using Indesign 2020 and every time I go to window<interactive<media and the panel opens the second I click it it becomes huge and then Indesign freezes

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the crash?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. Id CC 2020 pdf export failure

I get an error "Failed to Export the PDF file" when exporting file previously created in Id CC 2019.
    Id does not give any details about the error. It simply stops exporting. I've never seen such a message before (I've been working with Id since version 1.0).
    The same file is exported from CC2019 without any problems.
    Windows 10 with all updates.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Drag-Duplicating using Alt/Opt key does not work if key is pressed after dragging

InDesign 2020 OPTION Duplicate is now broken, just like Photoshop has always been.

Don't make me commit to the duplicate before moving an item.

Sometimes I'll move a box, then realize I intended to duplicate it, so then I'll press OPTION... now I have to commit to it FIRST.

Fix this and stop breaking things!

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

While we’re still working to make the fix available for this issue, we suggest a workaround to overcome it.

Open Preferences > Interface. At the bottom of this dialog, change “Live Screen Drawing” to “Never”.

As mentioned above, we’re working to fix this issue.
    Hope this helps.

Adobe InDesign team

17. CC2020: Alternate text for hyperlinks

In CC2020 a new function for writing alternate text for links was introduced.
    Using this function and generating a PDF Leeds to wrong PDF notation. The alt text in PDF is presented by alt text, which is forbidden in the PDF world, where alt text only should be used for non text elements, e.g. pictures. By presenting only the alt text the accessibility is lost – this is against the goal to hav a better output!
    A correct output would lead to a content entry.

Note: Alt text for links is under discussion, as such alt text is not present…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Please change one word in the German Indesign

The German Word "Abstände" is used two times in the paragraph style panel but with two completely different meanings.

First use "Einzüge und Abstände" is in English "Indents and Spacing".

Second use "Abstände" is in English "Justification".

Please change the second one to "Blocksatz" or "Blocksatzeinstellungen" so that the German users will not be confused anymore.

Or contact a German speaking InDesign pro user for a better translation.

Just a small change to make a lot of (German speaking) people happy!

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0

-InDesign Team

19. InDesign makes incorrect QR code words and we can't decode QR codes correctly.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Object->Make QR Code...
    2. Input strings "問題は日本語を正常に扱えるかどうか。".
    3. Result QR Code is incorrect.

Actual Result:
    Sometimes, we got the wrong code in Japanese locale.

Any Workarounds:
    Here is Japanese character strings "問題は日本語を正常に扱えるかどうか。".
    This was coded into the InDesign try and get "image1.png".
    Then, we try to decode it at ZXING decoder. Here is a decoded result (image2.png)

42 1e 59 58 fe 9a 18 ce 38 1a fe 69 7a 5e 69 ca
    ce 8a a9 ee 38 29 2e 6a da 3e 5b 8b 8e 38 1a be
    68 9b 1 8 0a ce 09…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3

20. stuck on type tool

I'm stuck on the Type tool. It won't let me select or change my tools at all. I've had to shut down and restart three times now. Whenever I get into the type tool, it stays and I can't get out or click anywhere else. Keyboard shortcuts do not work

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    We had launched our investigation into the matter to get to the root cause of the problem. As the part of our investigation, we had reached out to many of you personally over email.
    We have concluded our investigation and have come up with few findings.

1. For many of the users the issue got fixed after updating InDesign to a newer version.
    2. For few, the issue was intermittent and is no longer reproducible.
    4. For majority of the users, the underlying cause of the performance issue was identified to be related to switching between tools, or other lags

Over the time this thread has become too generic to serve its purpose effectively. As per your feedback and the outcome of our investigation we have created multiple threads to address each root cause separately and effectively.

If you are…

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base