Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Indesign CC 2018 Crash

Issues with the updated Indesign crashing when inserting any text or images. Comes up with Indesign stopped working crash error.

Major issue as this is part of my job... How do I revert back to the old one whilst this is fixed??

Thanks

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

21 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’17 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 13.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/release-note/indesign-cc-13-0-1.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

2. InDesign CC 2018 workspace loading incorrectly

Since InDesign 2015 I have had the workspace customised for daily use however every time I restart InDesign my workspace shows it’s still selected however the panels collapse and some disappear entirely. I need to select reset workspace every single time without changing anything else and it goes back to my setup.

Is there a way to make this remember, as I thought saving workspaces is what this is supposed to be doing? And considering that I can reset my workspace and it does come back then something else is happening.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

3. serial number changed on cc2019

User is not required to fill-in a serial number on CC apps, but nevertheless the numbers still exist and are used by 3rd party script creators to identify the user and license the script.
    this SN was kept the same on all CC versions but now it was changed. this means I need to repurchase my scripts licenses.
    the 3rd party programmer can't use just username becuase there may be more than one indesign license under one username.
    suggested solution: just keep the SN as it was on CC2018 and don'r make us pay for nothing

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

4. Changing font in Character Panel frequently causes a crash in Indesign CC 2018

Since 2018 version, changing a font in the character panel frequently crashes the application, but not 100% of the time. Font worked fine in older version and sometimes works fine in 2018, but the same issue has happened a good few times in the last week or so.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

70 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your support all this while. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

5. Multiple variables in a TOC

While having headlines with zwo or more variables in the document, the TOC will be horrible wrong - it looks like a variable-puzzle.

This mistake destroys any dream of creating efficiently catalogues and users are forced to use any kind of dirty-trick or handle on very expensive way a "handmade-process".

This Bug is known since CS5.x.
    So please: Repair this Bug - now!

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

The fix for this issue is now available in the beta builds of InDesign. You can download the latest beta build from Download section of InDesign Prerelease portal.

1. Go to adobeprerelease.com
    2. Log in with your Adobe Id.
    3. Once logged in, search for “InDesign CC Prerelease” program in the list.
    4. Click on the program to join the same.
    5. You can now download the build (14.0.3.407) from “Builds and Plugins” section on the page.
    6. The steps for installing the build can be found in the release notes

6. InDesign performance issue: Text disappears while editing

When editing a text box, the text disappears.
    I have to switch the display mode (Overview > Normal or Normal > Overview) to make the text appear again.

This bug occurs frequently (10~20 times a day) but I did not identify what is the trigger.

Version 2017.1
    Build 12.1.0.56 x64
    Windows 10 x64

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 2019 workspace not sticking

upon opening a new document in Indesign 2019, workspace needs to be reset every time to return to preferred working environment.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

The fix for this issue is now available in the beta builds of InDesign. You can download the latest beta build from Download section of InDesign Prerelease portal.

1. Go to adobeprerelease.com
    2. Log in with your Adobe Id.
    3. Once logged in, search for “InDesign CC Prerelease” program in the list.
    4. Click on the program to join the same.
    5. You can now download the build (14.0.3.407) from “Builds and Plugins” section on the page.
    6. The steps for installing the build can be found in the release notes

8. InDesign False Ligatures Bug

InDesign sometimes, seemingly randomly, replaces pairs such as hn, il, io, sy, ek, etc. with completely wrong glyph, such as accented Y, U, etc., when regular Ligature setting is applied. This has been a problem since CS5 and we recently had it occur in CC2015, so it is still there. Affected fonts have been many over the years, including licensed Adobe fonts. Fonts can be Open Type or PostScript. Language setting can be English US, UK, or seemingly anything else. The only thing that works to avoid it is to turn off Ligatures which is generally unacceptable, so the only…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add the Ability to turn off hover scrolling

Hover Scrolling lets you interact with the dropdown menus without ever having to click on them. Sounds cool, right?

Normally, this is not a problem, because you can easily see what has been changed because you've got an object selected. But when working with conditional text, the conditional text indicator visibility is a GLOBAL setting, and thus, hover scrolling over it can change your document, even with nothing selected. And if you're not on a page with conditional text. you'd never even know that your document got changed, until you send it to print!

This has been plaguing me for…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Publish Online URL links breaking website functionality

File Created in Indesign CC 2017

I have created a test interactive document with links to product DG012 on our company website.

https://indd.adobe.com/view/da74b2d3-46b2-40cf-99e2-8201ddc6248a

When the link is clicked from publish online it opens the page but seems to disable all scripts that run on the website. e.g. search field and add to cart no longer functions on that page.

The website itself functions correctly if you navigate to the link manually ( http://www.lockhart.co.uk/Table-Service-and-Buffet/Buffet-Display/Display-Stands/Rafters-F usion-1-2-Board~p~DG012 ).

Interestingly in safari the add to cart button functions but the search field is still disabled.

On closer inspection it seems to be an iframe…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  13 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Indesign performance issue : CC 2019 uses all the system memory on Mojave

So basically i cant't use InDesign since updating to the new version. Even if it's idle without anything open, it starts to use up all the system memory in macOs Mojave.

This is what happens:
    1. Open InDesign
    2. Doesn't matter if im working or it's just open
    3. After about 5 minutes, there's a system alert of Mojave saying, InDesign is using 550 GB of system memory and there's nothing left to work with.

System:
    iMac Pro (macOS Mojave 10.14)
    3 GHz Intel Xeon W (10 cores)
    64 GB RAM
    Radeon Pro Vega 64

It's a new iMac with…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. InDesign palettes/panels do not expand or open when Application frame is Off

These small panels that you can attach to the large panels would not expand now after the update to 13.0.1
    I had problems with it already 2 updates back.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

13. Non-Printing Layers in Italics

InDesign no longer italicizes the name of non-printing layers in the layers panel. This made a scan of which layers were printing or non-printing quick and easy.

With the 2018 update, it seems like non-printing layer names just display as a SLIGHTLY lighter weight of the standard layer name type, making it hard to tell which layers are doing what at a glance.

An update that clearly demarcates non-printing layers would be appreciated.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. New defined Character Color in Paragraph Style not visible

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
    Adobe InDesign CC Version 2017.1 Build 12.1.0.56
    MAC OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

2. Steps to reproduce the issues
    Create a new Paragraph Style
    Go to Character Color tab
    Create new color with a double click in the black square
    Define some values for C/M/Y/K and click OK

3. Expected result
    The new color shoud show up at the end of the existing color list

4. Actual result
    The new Color don’t show up
    After changing to another tab and back the color show up

5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

15. Export PDF, cannot cancel background task

Sometimes, there is no way to cancel a background pdf export task.

No way to close the document either, only hard quitting works.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

16. Unable to launch Adobe InDesign as you do not have sufficient permissions to access the preferences folders.

I can't even open InDesign anymore, I keep getting an error message that says "Unable to launch Adobe InDesign as you do not have sufficient permissions to access the preferences folders. Ensure that you have appropriate permissions and then restart Adobe InDesign." I've changed permissions on every folder and file to "Read & Write" that I thought would help make it work but nothing is working. I was trying to open the latest version of ID, even undownloaded and tried using CC 2017 to no avail. I need this fixed ASAP.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)
    MacOS High Sierra Version 10.13.3

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Cannot resize Epub Interactivity Preview panel

I can not resize the Epub Interactivity Preview Panel at all.
    I am using the latest InDesign CC 2018.

SWF Preview panel is fine.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. InDesign makes incorrect QR code words and we can't decode QR codes correctly.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Object->Make QR Code...
    2. Input strings "問題は日本語を正常に扱えるかどうか。".
    3. Result QR Code is incorrect.

Actual Result:
    Sometimes, we got the wrong code in Japanese locale.

Any Workarounds:
    Here is Japanese character strings "問題は日本語を正常に扱えるかどうか。".
    This was coded into the InDesign try and get "image1.png".
    Then, we try to decode it at ZXING decoder. Here is a decoded result (image2.png)

42 1e 59 58 fe 9a 18 ce 38 1a fe 69 7a 5e 69 ca
    ce 8a a9 ee 38 29 2e 6a da 3e 5b 8b 8e 38 1a be
    68 9b 1 8 0a ce 09…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Color Settings Not Sticking

Upon updating to InDesign 2019 (14.0) my color settings are no longer retained.

As soon as I quit the app and restart the color settings go back to "Emulate Adobe InDesign 2.0 CMS Off"

I have reinstalled the app.
    I have wiped all settings.
    I have cleared the Adobe Color Cache folder.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

20. anchor

1) Version of Adobe InDesign: CC 2018 (latest release)

2) Steps to reproduce the issues:
    i) Create a text box with type tool. Enter text.
    ii) Create a text field with "buttons and forms" or insert a picture.
    iii) Anchor text field (or picture) to the end of the text in the text box.
    iv) Drag text box into Articles panel.
    v) Ensure "Include Article" is selected.
    vi) Select "use for reading order in tagged PDF" in Articles panel menu.
    vii) Export to PDF (save as interactive is using the text field).

3) Expected result:

Text field (or picture) will…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base