Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• or

445 results found

1. Redirect links when file name changes.

Like a website that uses redirection for old pages, it would be nice to have a way to redirect InDesign links to new links. For example, when a file name changes due to a version number, date, or whatever.

the way I imagine it working is leaving a txt file behind with the old asset's name that has the new assets name within it. (maybe there is a better way to do this)

that way, when assets change names, InDesign checks the txt file and looks in the new directory or for the new link before marking it…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. When choosing to link a button to a page, remove hard coding of links to a page even if it gets moved.

I have discovered an "error" or possible limitation of an existing feature when linking to pages through buttons.

For example, I set a button to go to page 9. Later I drug that content to a new location in the document (page 2), thus changing it's page number. However, the button no longer went to the content that was now on page 9, it jumped to the content that was original there when I set that button.

Can we have the set page number option just link to the current page even if content was moved around after setting…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. DATA MERGE

Importing an image via .CSV or .TXT file requires the use of an absolute @IMAGE link, it would be very convenient, for file sharing purposes, for this link to recall the files from the folder where the INDESING file resides, using a relative @IMAGE link, using a relative @IMAGE link.

EXAMBLE:

Volumes:BK2:PACK HD:CLIENT:PROJECT 1:PACK:LINK:file.ai (ABSOLUTE LINK)

LINK/file.ai (RELATIVE LINK)

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Need to be able to REPLACE/ LINK SINGLE IMAGES in MULTIPLE FRAMES at One Time! Crazy this functionality does not exist!

Need to be able to REPLACE/ LINK SINGLE IMAGES in MULTIPLE FRAMES at One Time! Crazy this functionality does not exist!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. List of all buttons in a file

We regularly have to create quite complex interactive PDFs with many buttons. It would be great to have a view like the Links panel that displays all of the buttons in a document, with where they go and which page they are on with a link to jump to that button (again like the Links panel).

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Imported text linked to a document (like Word) where changes can be made and then automatically updated in indesign document

When importing text, we brake the link with the original textual content. I wish we could have the option to keep the imported text linked to its original document so that we can design while some of the content is being modified in a word processor and then updated like any other kind of link and without losing the applied styles.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Describing the purpose of a link in EPUBs using aria-label

Description

It would be really great if hyperlinks would get an (optional) attribute to describe their purpose, and this being reported in EPUB outputs as values of aria-label attributes.

https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG22/Techniques/aria/ARIA8

Something similar is already in place for alt-text ("Edit Hyperlink..." -> "Accessibility" -> "Alt-Text") which I understand plays a role in PDF outputs.

Why is this valuable to you?

This would bring a GREAT accessibility enhancement in all those occasions where the hyperlink (or the hyperlinked text) does not provide enough context/information to the reader (i.e. when reporting DOI links - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_object_identifier

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  EPub  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Create PDFs from Share for Review link

I am on InDesign 2023
    My co-workers and I would love to have an option to create a pdf directly from the review. Sometimes they want to print out the version, and we have to create a pdf for them, so it's twice the work. This is the main reason why some of my co-workers don't like this feature, and it may end up being a reason our MarCom dept. refuses to adopt it as a way to share comments.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Use links with CC Libraries

I think it would be great to be able to use linked files in CC Libraries. We have a lot of master art on shared drives, and it wouldn't be practical to have it all in the cloud in a Library. For our team, this would be a huge addition... to store a shard-drive link to the file and a thumbnail, instead of uploading the entire asset.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Notification after background task completes

Sometimes background tasks can take a fair bit of time and we may switch to other things, take a phone call, go to lunch, meeting....If the Alerts panel was more about notifications, we would be able to know a bit more of what has happened with the task - if it completed, how long it took or even provide a link to view or email the exported PDF.

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. remove image from links panel

In the Links Panel, it would be very handy to remove an image that is listed simply by right clicking on it and removing it.

For example, I just manually removed over 500 images from image frames using the direct select tool. Theoretically, I could have selected those 500 images in the Links Panel, and removed them in the right click menu.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Script Label Manager

We use scripts and script labels on a daily basis! It would be absolutely FANTASTIC to have a window (similar to LINKS) that when opened, displays ALL script labels in the board/file, along with a link to where it is in the page (selects the item that's labelled).

It is extremely tedious to use script labels when there is no way to properly organize and manage them.

Please please make this Script Label Manager a feature!

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Scripting  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Export HTML keep set names for text anchors

When exporting to HTML, the process removes all text anchor naming from InDesign and renames them chronologically (e,g. _idTextAnchor002). This is very frustrating when you want to keep nice, logical names for user navigation, or set an anchor to be referenced externally. Currently, make new anchors links in the document changes other anchors links (i.e. if you place an anchor link between the 1st and 2nd link, that link takes on the id and name for the 2nd link, and all other links get pushed so 2nd becomes 3rd, 3rd becomes 4th). This is terrible…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  HTML  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Please allow placed PSD layer blend modes to carry over into InDesign

We build 2-layer Photoshop files for product images. Top layer is product image set to NORMAL blend mode. Bottom layer is shadow of product set to MULTIPLY blend mode. When placed in InDesign the shadow layer does not carry over multiply blending. It knocks out anything under it in InDesign file. Our work around is placing two copies of the PSD file on top of each other. We then have to set the bottom image to Multiply with top layer turned off in Object Layer Options. Then the top image needs to have shadow layer turned off in Object Layer…

103 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Make Preflight more intelligent/efficient about refreshing itself

It seems like whenever one single linked file is edited, preflight starts its entire 'checking' process over from scratch every time. This is extremely slow and inefficient.

Say I have a document containing 200 linked psd files. I edit one of those in photoshop and then update the link in indesign. Preflight then proceeds to check/process all 200 links over again. Can it be made more intelligent so that it only re-checks what has actually changed?

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. links that open in different tabs from pdf

I want to export a e-book in pdf to be read in a comum browser. So, a link that open in other browser (not in the same browser that ebook is open). Please, I need so much to do this on Indesign, it is my dream!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Scripting  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Data Merge - Pdf:{page number}

While performing a data merge, it would be nice to be able to include in my csv filename.pdf:{page number} (ie myfile.pdf:3) And have Indesign return the mentioned page in an image. Currently if I link a multi-page pdf, it will only show the first page.

Currently I have to break apart a pdf into individual pages to use as images in a data merge.

See row 2 in the attached for what it would be nice to have.
    The other rows are examples of what is currently required.

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Could we have a 'go to colour' link within Indesign like you do for image links please

It would be really helpful when editing colours within an document to be able to see where a colour has been used before deleting it. I know you can always replace it then convert back but it would be helpful to see where it was being used beforehand.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Allow InCopy to be edited remotely by 3rd Parties (eg clients)

We prepare large copy-heavy documents for our clients using InDesign and InCopy. However, our clients are not technically minded and do not have access (or the technical ability) to the Adobe software needed to open such documents and provide edits/comments.

We therefore have to cut/paste the InCopy into a Microsoft Word document and send this, so that the client can edit/change/comment as necessary. They then return the Word file to us, and we re-link or re-copy the changes back into InCopy.

Unfortunately, during this process we often lose the formatting and pagenation, increasing the time it takes for the…

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  InCopy  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base