Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• or

374 results found

1. No Break slows down InDesign CC 2019

When No Break is added to multiple words, it slows down InDesign CC 2019 14.01 tremendously.
    We use No Break very often in our texts, e.g. to keep web site addresses, email addresses and allergens together as this is a requirement from our customer.
    This was never a problem in older versions but something seems to be changed in InDesign.
    I added an .idml file containing an auto-size text frame with some text (allergens). Editing the text frame in an older version of InDesign works smoothly. Doing the same thing in CC 2019 goes very slow.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. WordsFlow

When deciding against using WordsFlow plugin by EmSoftware, not renewing from trial license, it continued not only to be on the main FILE menu but it also is preventing normal (InDesign) placing of graphic files into InDesign files by a popup window asking for license renewal information. If I cancel that window, it cancels the PLACE... operation. In other words, WordsFlow does not extricate itself from the program even if no longer using and registered AND after uninstalling from the Windows APP utility, BUT it continues to interfere with normal InDesign operation.
    How do I get rid…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. spacebar

spacebar in indesign file doesn't work for typing a space. it works in other programs, and other indesign files. it works in command menus like the find menu. it does not work in this one particular document. I am not able to type a space between words. I have to hit CTRL+space to be able to type a space. this is a really difficult change in flow to get used to. I don't know if a hit a function that accidentally set this to be the norm. please help. I want to be able to type spaces normally...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Instant steps to How To Check My Chime Balance:

People need to practice the instant steps to How To Check My Chime Balance. the involvement of the proper methods can be quite helpful for handling the chime app. As far as stimulus check is concerned then users can start with opening their app on the phone and accessing the configuration options. To make sure that everything is going better, chime users can have words with the chime support team. https://www.primotechy.com/blog/how-do-i-check-my-chime-balance-on-my-phone/

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Automatic insertion of columns upon text alteration, always in the same spot on the page; this occurs irrespective of style (paragraph, char

Posted that this was happening last update: this column "Layout" occurs no matter what style (paragraph or character) is selected, and the column layout affects all text placed over the area where the automatic "columns" occurs, in other words, anything adjusted or placed over the area (positioned always two columns at approx 4" down the page).
    What seems to trigger the insertion of this four-line column layout is any text alteration - it gets inserted on random pages!
    I have checked all "unseen" screens, object styles, text box controls, preferences. I am completely flummoxed (user of Adobe InDesign over…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Text engine buffer breaks if text contains diacritics

I regularily edit pages with fairly long text in Icelandic, a language which uses diacritics quite a bit. If the text gets to be more than a few hundred words, the text engine buffer starts acting up, especially when using accents. It will enter two or more accents in addition to the intended accented letter, sometimes mangling the order of letters too, always being laggy too. This is NOT a new problem, but I feel it has become much more pronounced in CC 2018.

In the attached screenshot the intended text "fréttastjóra að gefa því" has appeared as "´fr´´éttastj´ór´a…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. pali

INDD 2019 v14.0.2 x64.

I have an INDD book. I export the book to PDF and everything is fine. I export it to ePub and many things go wrong:
    (1) spacing between words goes haywire. This appears to happen when they are Small Caps.

(2) Certain characters are missing and not rendered - for example ḷ, ṇ, ṃ, ṭ, etc.
    (3) Footnote hyperlinks are no longer working.
    (4) ToC hyperlinks are not working.

I attach both PDF and ePub files. System doesn't let me attach epub or zip files si I renamed epub file to "Udana-Master-epub.pdf" - please change…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Random text appears in the filename field when editing filenames during Save As

1. ID 14.0.1, OS 10.14.2
    2. Save as. When dialog appears, filename is highlighted so that it can be edited. Use RIght arrow key to put cursor at end of filename to append text.
    3. Expected result, which occurs about 90% of the time, is that the cursor moves to the end of the filename and you can enter text.
    4. Actual result, about 10% of the time, is that pressing the Right arrow key erases the entire filename in the field and replaces it with the words "Adobe Stock".

(Another version of this error occurs in the exact same scenario with Illustration…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. share for review comments are unmapped

my editors are able to add comments to a share for review pdf in a browser without choosing a tool. they highlight text and add a comment, click submit, and the comments come up as unmapped. i'm on InDesign 17.4.

i was able to replicate this problem myself by opening the share for review pdf in my browser (both chrome and safari) and adding comments without selecting a tool. there should be a bubble tool or something for general comments. as is, users believe they are leaving comments on specific words.

expected: users should not be able to highlight…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Share for Review  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Indesign 16.3.2, Keyboard shortcut for preview (W) changes text appearance (from left justified to right justified) — but prints accurately.

Recent update to 16.3.2 — am working on an InDesign document that has a line of left-justified text.
    1. When I use the keyboard shortcut "W" to view the document in Preview Mode (without boxes/positioning lines) the text jumps to the right hand side of the page.
    2. When I click out of Preview mode (W again) it shows me the text where I placed it — left justified. I saved the document and reopened it and the bug is still there. When I make a pdf from it, or print the page, the line is correctly on the left.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Paste Discretionary Line Break Malfunction

The discretionary break character is an awesome addition. But I think it came with a bug:

When typesetting text that contains URLs, I use a GREP search to find all URL strings in order to globally apply a character style with Language set to [No Language] in order to suppress any auto-hyphenation.

I then use some search-replaces to globally insert discretionary breaks in places I don't mind URLs breaking, such as preceding periods and hard hyphens. This technique can still leave too-loose or too-tight letter-spacing when URLs contain long unbroken letter strings, and in those cases I insert discretionary line…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. ID 17 English LTR document with any RTL text exports as RTL epub

I edited this to remove the urgent notice. The publisher does not want to publish this book as an epub.

The basic problem remains, however.

When exporting an epub 3.0 from an academic book written in English with some RTL text sections, typically tables with Hebrew and English text, the epub exports in reverse order. That is, the title page is at the end of the epub, and the last page of the text is the first in the epub. So far it seems that the presence of any RTL elements, even a single character, causes the epub to export…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. pen tool

When modifying a container box by adding points with the pen tool, the points wont select individually and the pen changes to the hand tool and will only select the object in the container. At first I thought it might be my Wacom, but the mouse also will not select points as (option pen) or using the point selection tool.

At the same time when trying to clip an object set to transparency, so an object below can be seen so I can clip around it. The object becomes opaque making the task impossible.

I am running a the latest…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. IDS 2021 (16.x Windows) Locks up when loading indd file with missing font in paragraph style

InDesign Server 2021 Windows Edition (16.x)

We had several indd files that had a Paragraph Style listing a font that was not actually used anywhere in the document (no text in the file was using that font.). In other words, the Style said it used "font a", but there was never ANY text actually using "font a" in the file. "Font A" is a non-system font that was installed on the desktop. If you load the indd file in InDesign Desktop, no errors occur, and Preflight says there are no errors, as expected.
    If you remove the file from…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 15 16 17 19 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?