InDesign hyperlink %0D bug
When I cut and paste URLs from a text document into the hyperlink dialog box, I can accidentally get a carriage return included. InDesign "includes" the carriage return in the one-line dialog box field but gives no indication that it's there.
Once I export the InDesign document to a PDF and then click on the link in the PDF, the link shows with a %0D at the end and it fails with a 404 not found.
This is extremely annoying because InDesign gives no indication that the carriage return is there with its one-line link dialog box field.
What should happen is InDesign should truncate control characters at the end of a URL. It should also truncate spaces at the end of a URL because we've seen %20 show up occasionally as well and that also can't easily be seen and causes the URL to fail. Have your programmers truncate any character at the end of a URL that is ASCII 20 or less and you will be golden!
Radek Novák commented
I tried the way in the bottom here (from Deleted User) with the / (a forward slash at the end) but id didn't work. After hours of trying , I finally find the real problem, and the solution.
So when I copy the link from the InDesign Hyperlink palette, and paste it into Notepad (windows),
ENTER at the end of the line showed up. The cursor was below the line in new line. I was easy to solve, I just deleted the ENTER (paragraph) and the Icopy the result and paste back to the InDesign, and voala, links in generated PDF works perfectly.
It looks like the %0D et the adress end is simply some kind if ASCII translation of the ENTER character. Adobe developers maybe can solve it by some automatic find-and-delete script for ENTER character in the end of each link record. Or simply avery user have to solve it manualy....
Abby Buzon commented
I too have had the same issue with a hyperlink adding %0D to the URL after click.
Interactive PDF created from InDesign CC whatever current version is.
If I change the Hyperlink from a Shared Destination to a URL and remove the trailing slash (opposite of last commentator's recommendation) then the link works correctly in the exported PDF.
Others have said it may be related to a space or a carriage return when pasting the URL in, but this URL would have been copied and pasted directly from the browser's address bar, so there shouldn't have been the presence of either.
PDF example attached. You can see that the %0D is not visible in any way... until you click it and it goes to a 404. I got my hosting provider to set up a very complicated 301 since I sent out 3 proposals with this bad link, but you can see the redirection if you know what you're looking for.
[Deleted User] commented
This can also happen without accidentally copying a space at the end of the URL.
A way around this bug (until fixed) is to make sure you copy the URL with a forward slash at the end (eg www.websiteaddress/url/)