Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

855 results found

1. Distorted Text and Graphics in high sierra

When opening a previously created file, I noticed small visual artifacts in the rendering of vector graphics in the file. As I zoomed in to inspect it, the artifacts began jumping all over the place, and as I zoomed in further, text on the page began presenting the same behavior.

Using InDesign 2017.1, Build 12.1.0.56 on a 2016 Macbook Pro (2.9 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM), running macOS High Sierra 10.13.

215 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  Sumit Garg responded

This is a macOS10.13 issue, specific for some Intel GPU cards. Apple has fixed(partially) this issue inside macOS10.13.4 released build.

Following are the workaround for resolving this issue.
    1) Update your mac machine to latest macOS10.13.4. Here, Apple has fixed this issue to some extent. You will face very less number of rendering issues.
    2) Disable GPU preview and set display performance as typical.

Once you have updated to macOS10.13.4 .You might still face some rendering issues. Since, Apple has not fixed this issue completely.
    Please switch off GPU rendering for these cases and report a separate post for tracking.

2. I lost all Save, Save As, Undo functionality (everything is grayed out). To save my work, I have to export as an IDML .

Lost all Save, Save As, Undo functionality while working.
    To save my work, the only thing to do is to export as an IDML file. Force quitting to recover the file doesn't work. This has been happening to me since InDesign 5.5. I am currently using InDesign CC 2018. There are no particular steps, it happens at random. I can have several files open and it only happens to one file, or sometimes it's more than one file. It happens whether I'm working off of my Desktop or on our server.

127 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As part of the investigation into the cause of this issue, we personally reached out to many of you over email. We have so far heard from only some of you.

Of the responses we have received, the conclusion we’ve come to is:
    This issue was intermittent, happened once during the course of work but somehow got resolved and has not happened again. This issue can’t be reproduced now.

Over a period of time, this thread has not thrown any fresh clues on why this issue seems to occur randomly for some and then seems to resolve itself. So we’re closing this thread.

However, even though we’re closing this thread, if you again run into this issue any time on a consistent basis, please report it here on UserVoice (in a new thread) with supporting assets like:
    A) a test file,
    B) detailed steps to replicate the issue
    C) any…

3. In InDesign CC 2019 slow Reaction Time on clicking from one object to another.

Using InDesign CC 14.0 on Windows 10. I have an magazine layout with text and picture boxes, of course. When clicking from one box to another, there is a long delay, a temporary freeze. Eventually (20-30 seconds) it awakens and I can move on. But it's happening more frequently, even after a reboot.

Is this an issue of my computer talking to Adobe servers?

Nothing to screen shot, there is no message.

110 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Following up on the comments stating that the issue is yet not fixed, we did our investigation and found that, the issues being called out in the comment section, though maybe relevant but are different than the one for which this thread was originally created.

This particular thread caters to a very specific case which has been fixed in the last update of InDesign.

If you continue to face performance related issues with InDesign, we sincerely request you to create a separate thread so that we can categorize the performance related issues and address them completely.
    In addition to track the performance issues effectively, it will also enable us to reach out to you in a organised manner when we investigate into each category of performance issues.

We are extremely sorry for the troubles you are facing with InDesign and we are determined to resolve them as efficiently…

4. Undo Not Working properly in InDesign 2020

InDesign CC 2020 Undo goes back to last saved version. It does not go back one step with Command-Z. Therefore, I lose all edits made since last save. It also crashes frequently

108 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. InDesign is very slow

The latest version is virtually unusable. If I select an image or text box on a layout I get a spinning wheel for 10 - 15 seconds. If I try to move something - spinning wheel 10-15 seconds. Try to save a document - spinning wheel 10-15 seconds. Previous versions did not behave this way on this same computer. No other applications behave this way.

My Mac is a late 2012 model, 32Gb RAM, 2 SSD drives; one for the OS / Applications and one for the customer files. GeForce video card (came with the computer with 1Gb RAM.

I…

102 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    We had launched our investigation into the matter to get to the root cause of the problem. As the part of our investigation, we had reached out to many of you personally over email.
    We have concluded our investigation and have come up with few findings.

1. For many of the users the issue got fixed after updating InDesign to a newer version.
    2. For some, the issue got resolved after disabling a third-party application such as Suitecase fusion etc.
    3. For few, the issue was intermittent and is no longer reproducible.
    4. For majority of the users, the underlying cause of the performance issue was identified to be related to span columns, cross-references, third party plugin etc.

We have created separated threads for these issues and we are now working towards resolving them.

However, over the time this thread…

6. For long documents containing more than 50K characters, GREP search fails to find all matching instances

Since updating to CC 14.0.2 on Windows, GREP search is no longer functioning properly. Not all instances of queries are found, or not found at all.
    I believe this is the case when working on documents created in an older version. In a newly created document it does work as it should.

83 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

7. 74 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. [Limited Undo] InDesign CC 2019 (v14.0) strg+z / cmd+z doesn't work properly

With the new Version the option to go back some steps seems to be cut at some point. I have been working on a couple of files now and going steps back with strg+z works for 2-3 steps. Somehow random but definitely not the way it used to work.

64 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Edit:
    Hello All,
    We acknowledge those comments where some of us have mentioned that the issue is still not fixed; we are already working on it.
    Please note that, in the earlier release we had fixed few cases which were leading to the issue.
    There are still few scenarios which are yet to be investigated and fixed.
    Unfortunately, this particular thread has become too generic.
    We request you to provide your comments in below provided new thread. Please do mention your observation while submitting the comment. It will help us in our ongoing investigation.

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/38991835-undo-not-working-properly-in-indd-2020

Hello All,

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu…

9. 61 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while. The fix of the issue is now part of InDesign’s latest update, Id 13.1

Update your InDesign through Creative Cloud app to Id 13.1

Thanks,
    Abhinav

10. stalls intermittently, seconds to minutes of spinning beach ball or Application not responding

Stalls to a spinning beach ball intermittently during use. Add images in frames, move images or add text, what-ever, it suddenly just stalls and can take seconds to minutes before clearing. CS6, the CC2017 worked fine. Now CC2018 seems to have regressed in performance. I have to FORCE QUIT at times. MacOS Sierra 10.12.6

52 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    We had launched our investigation into the matter to get to the root cause of the problem. As the part of our investigation, we had reached out to many of you personally over email.
    We have concluded our investigation and have come up with few findings.

1. For many of the users the issue got fixed after updating InDesign to a newer version.
    2. For some, the issue got resolved after disabling a third-party application such as Suitecase fusion etc.
    3. For few, the issue was intermittent and is no longer reproducible.
    4. For majority of the users, the underlying cause of the performance issue was identified to be related to span columns, cross-references, third party plugin etc.

We have created separated threads for these issues and we are now working towards resolving them.

However, over the time this thread…

11. InDesign CC 2019, GPU enablement on Mac

InDesign CC 2019 14.0
    macOS Mojave 10.14
    Mac Pro 5.1 (mid 2012)
    SAPPHIRE Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB GDDR5

Photoshop CC GPU Performance - ok
    Illustrator CC GPU Performance - ok
    InDesign CC... GPU incompatible???
    In addition, there are icon discolorations (only InDesign). Sometimes this effect occurs, sometimes not. The color of discoloration can be different.

44 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Based on our investigation we have categorized the issue that are being reported on this thread into three types:

1. Users having compatible GPU and monitor configuration but still not able to use GPU rendering.

2. Users having Incompatible GPU and monitor configuration. Please refer following link that have all the details system requirement for GPU rendering.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/using/gpu_performance.html

3. MacPro, Mac mini OR “working on MacBooks with screen down” and using Hidpi monitors with display scale factor one.
    This has been identified as bug and we have fixed it in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3
    Please update your InDesign to the latest version to try out the fix

Note:
    Since , this thread is mainly being tracked only for enable-ment of GPU functionality
    Please report drawing related issue via other reported threads or new threads.

12. Installing InDesign 2024 wiped all my preferences and workspaces

Just as the title said - preferences and workspaces wiped, despite ensuring the checkbox 'import exisiting preferences' was turned on during install.

42 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix of the issue is now available in the latest InDesign 2024(v19.0.1.205). We recommend you upgrade to the latest version for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to the Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Adobe InDesign Team

13. Slow performance

Lately InDesign is nearly unusable. Almost every action from selecting objects, resizing objects, or moving objects comes with a really slow reaction time. Even when clicking between panels in the toolbar there is a delay of about half a second.

I have tried ruling out potential issues like updating graphic drivers and embedding all resources into the document. Nothing works it seems like the application is just unstable. Please advise, I love to work with indesign but this is overall a very bad user experience.

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Customer comments

• InDesign lags when rearranging text boxes, adding image frames, adjusting frames that already exist
    • Selecting an item (e.g. text frame) in small and really uncomplicated documents has slight but very noticeable delays/lags, almost as if the click hangs and makes the item drag a little instead of just being selected.
    • Performance degradation is observed if more than 1 document is opened
    • Creating packages (File > Package) takes so much time – especially collecting image files into the Links-folder. This behavior is generally observed with Illustrator files.
    • Performance degradation is observed while working on indd document and not with the IDML of the indd document.
    • Lag observed for almost every action from selecting objects, resizing objects, or moving objects

Troubleshooting steps tried to resolve issues

• Disable 3rd party plugins - One of the customer has tried with Suitcase Fusion but there was no improvement in the performance.

Workarounds

• Change the…
  14. Indesign performance issue : slow opening, saving, exporting files

InDesign taking up to 5 minutes to open a file. The file is a one-page document. Two minutes of nothing, then 2 minutes of a blue status bar, then another minute watching the tiny status bar on the application icon in the doc. Once the file is "open" it isn't visible until I toggle back and forth between InDesign and another application. Saving, even after changing only one text character, takes 55 seconds. Exporting a 30 page document to PDF took 20 minutes.

40 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

15. CEPHtmlEngine Helper

macOS Catalina 10.15.5. and InDesign. 15.1.1.

Massive problem with CEPHtmlEngine Helper. After a while, my MacBook Pro fan is running high and in the activity window, CEPHtmlEngine Helper is running between 90 and 100%. It is no fun to work with a system that runs crazy.
    Why? Solution needed.

39 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. CC 2020 + Catalina makes computer really slow

On a brand new iMac (Catalina), opening CC 2020 apps makes everything lag. When Adobe apps are not open, computer performance is fine. According to the Adobe Support Community, this issue seems pretty widespread and Adobe's suggested fixes do not help.

34 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Screen flickering - Screen turns black when moving objects.

When i drag and drop a Textframe my Screen flickers black for a second - almost every damn time. This happens for me and most of my colleagues and it is horrible to work with.

I feel like it got worse after installing the latest "Tablehead" fix that fixed the disapearing tableheads.

Build 12.1.0.56
    OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
    iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5", 2015)
    3,3 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB

2nd Monior is a DELL U2414H, 23,5" at 1800p

This is happening on quite a lot of machines in…

34 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The issue reported is at Apple’s end.
    Hence, Apple is recommending to update macOS to 10.15.x version in order to resolve this issue.

Please update your macOS to Catalina. If you still face this issue in macOS 10.15 do add your comment in this thread.

Adobe InDesign team

18. InDesign performance issue: Hand tool freezes

10.12.6 Sierra
    Hand tool freezes and no other tool can be selected. It won't unfreeze unless I shut down entire computer. This is a recurring issue.

33 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    In order to reproduce the issue we sent information to all the affected users who have either voted or commented on this thread.
    Based on the replies we got we could infer that the issue is occurring when a third party software or application is also running in parallel. Some examples of the software used include Global Auto-correct, Google Chrome,
    Moreover, when the issue occurs it seems to hamper all CC applications such as Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop.
    A possible fix for the solution includes restarting the application or restarting the system.

In the absence of any consistent reproducible steps, we are currently closing this thread as “not reproducible”. In case you again encounter the issue, please create a new thread mentioning the steps with which we can reproduce the issue and additional softwares, if in case any, that you are using.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

19. Shortcuts and keyboard keys stop working.

CC2018, Windows 10, latest update as of 01/18/18, x64 system with 12GB RAM. I often have to close and reopen documents or InDesign itself for shortcuts and some keys to work. There does not seem to be a common cause or specific file(s) that sets it off and it may or may not happen to all open documents if more than one is open. Generally closing the document and reopening it helps, but there have been times where I have to restart the program for anything to work. The issue includes any shortcuts and sometimes keys such as the arrow…

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Slow InDesign

This latest update for late August/September is really really really slow. It lags crazy. It's not efficient to work in. Even with small documents.
    It's the most unpleasant InDesign experience ever!

31 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 42 43
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base