Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. InDesign 14.0.2 constant spinning beachball - especially on text related commands

Working in InDesign 14.0.2 on High Sierra, (single computer home network) the programme is exceptionally slow - taking about 10 seconds (of beachballing) to select a line of copy. Clicking between objects takes 5-10 seconds also. This is happening on my Mac Book Pro and iMac, both running High Sierra - all other programmes are working normally. I have tried trashing my preferences and uninstalling etc, but nothing has improved the lagging issue. I have had to revert to the 2018 version to get my work done.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Resized vectors not displaying properly in high quality display mode on drag

14.0.2 x64 on Windows 10

Steps:
    1. High Quality display mode (default settings)
    2. Place any EPS vector file.
    3. Attempt to resize it while holding ctrl-shift to maintain ratios.

Expected result:
    The vector file, resized.

Actual result:
    Grey box. I have to zoom in or out to get the screen to "refresh" and show the correct image.

Similar issue happens with placed AI file. Very simple, clearly. Just a triangle. Made in the latest version of Illustrator.

The Youtube button is an EPS.

Related: If I use the option "Greek Vector Graphics on Drag" it performs correctly, only now…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. I have Adobe InDesign 14.0.2 x64, and my book chapters keep showing a spinning wheel when i try to make any change

I have Adobe InDesign 14.0.2 x64, and my book chapters keep showing a spinning wheel when i try to make any change. Say I need to add one letter, after doing so the ball has to spin 10 times until i can do anything else. This is extremely time consuming and is wasting my time when I have to wait 2 minutes after any tiny change before I can make another. I have seen others posting issues about this over a year ago. All fixes people have suggested do nothing for me. Please help.
    In reading that it could be…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. InDesign EXTREMELY slow when working on files off a server

The latest version of InDesign has been virtually unusable on my Mac Pro when working off files on a sever. Every click takes 3-5 seconds to process and the beachball is constantly processing.

The Adobe help chat suggested I work locally instead, however working off the server has never been a problem with the previous versions. Working locally or off a hard drive/USB has speed it up.

Can you please advise why this issue has appeared with the latest version?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Bugs with GPU, Bugs without GPU (zoom, moving objects, create text)

(Working on Adobe InDesign 14.0.2.)

Hi there,

so for a couple of weeks, my Indesign behaves quite badly.
    For demonstration purposes, I created a new blank file but these bugs also occur in existing work projects.

Case 1: GPU switched on (Image: GPU on):
    Zooming does not show any effect, only when I click in and change something. The rulers change, but my board/document is not zooming in (Video: Zooming with GPU). As soon as I found my page, the objects don't really move that well, more in a lagging, stocking way. (Video: Moving Objects with GPU).

This leads to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. QR Code

I think it would be great if the QR codes that are generated can be actually tracked. The number of users, where it was scanned, etc. Basically, Google Analytics but only for QR codes.
    It would make things a great deal easier instead of setting up Google Analytics to track this information.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. CC Libraries fail to load or connect during launch even when CC is running in the background

CC Library associated link resource images causes error messages during launch of program or file even when CC is running in the background.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Smart folder (Mac) not showing items

When trying to place a file with "File/Place", smart folders in the file browser do not load any items to select from. Same also with image relinks.
    Strangely the same thing with "File/Save as" works fine.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. InDesign totally unusable for large threaded tables after 2015 version

Using Windows 10 Pro, high end computer (Ryzen 1800X, 32Gb RAM, NVMe SSD, 1080Ti)

Create an Excel file with 8000 rows of random data, place into InDesign with as unformatted table.

Use shift-click to create pages and thread the table to each page.

Try to scroll without InDesign freezing for 30 seconds. I can't.

I have tried:
    - Cleaning preferences / logging on different username to have a fresh profile
    - Using a different computer
    - Turning off preflight
    - Using fast display performance
    - Change the composer away from world ready, trying single line instead of paragraph
    - Turned…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Can't press 'Done' in Adobe Comp after adding columns and guides

If I go to settings, add guides, I will not be able to get out of the settings as the done button does not work

Worked with support and they are saying it is not a bug, but offered no further steps other than posting here

Case ADB-7060282-R3X8

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Type Tool Flicker

Specs:

InDesign CC2018 (13.1)

Mac Pro Late 2013

Mac OS Mojave (10.14.3)

64 GB RAM

AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB

Any document when first opened will blink the document window (not the entire screen - just the document) when clicking into a frame with the Type tool.

It occurs one time only then the remainder of work on that document is fine.

Open another document, issue reoccurs.

Double-clicking a text frame with the Selection tool will not blink and take you into the text frame without issue.

I've reset ID Prefs, removed all third party plugins and zapped my PRAM…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Updating to Mac OSX Mojave, Indesign now behaving slow and shortcut make new document does not work anymore

Drawing a box, moving it around etc is now a kind of laggy. Moves but slow and kind of stuttering.

The GUI overall, menus etc, behaves a bit slower as well. Not much but not as quick and responsive at it was in Sierra.

Have tried de-activating GPU but that has no difference at all.

I have the latest version, 14.0.2.
    Updated to Mojave because the Adobe chat support suggested that would help out some other issues I have had.
    One reason was that command + new shortcut stopped working. And now it stopped working again...

Same thing happens in…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. InDesign opens two files when only one selected.

When I open a file, InDesign will open another file at the same time, one that I didn't select. Not a horrible inconvenience, but why is this happening?

InDesign CC 14.0.1 x 64

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Unusable actual InDesign CC 2019

Actually InDesign is not production ready. Every few seconds the beach ball spins. I found a workaround which is … well ok but not satisfying: As long as I work in the idml-file it works but as soon as I'm opening an indd file the program slows down extremely.

That can't be the solution! Why don't you see that?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. InDesign performance issue: Lags when selecting and moving items using wacom tablet

On a iMac with 32 GB RAM running under macOS 10.14.4 (18E226) InDesign v.14.0.2.324 with Wacom Intuos Pro tablet (6.3.24-1) in some documents cursor / items handling is unresponsive, lagging or too sensitive (click is registered when there was no click, dragging happens yet it wasn't been ignited).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. InDesign 14 opening network files as read-only

We have been using InDesign for a while with files being stored on a network SMB share. on 4/4/19, after a few folks updated to 14.02, the Indesign and Incopy files are primarily only able to be opened as read-only.

Network server permissions have been verified and no other changes have occurred in our environment.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please help us with answers to the below queries:

1. OS version of the machine where issue is reproducible.
    2.Are the files opened simultaneously by more than one user?
    3. Does the same file which is opened as Read Only in Id 14.0.2, when opened in Id 14.0.1 opens fine?
    4. Does remounting the SMB drive fixes the issue?

17. Alt key modifier keeps toolbar active after use when zooming in using scroll wheel

Not sure when this started happening, I only know that it's started irritating the heck out of me quite recently. I'm on Win 10 using InDesign 14.0.2

Whenever I alt+scroll using the mouse wheel to zoom in/out, InDesign switches focus to the toolbar so that the next keyboard press will enact the menu.

It becomes an issue when for example zooming into an active text box, if you need to type F, E, L, T, O, A, V, W, or H, after using alt+scroll you end up bringing up the View menu as soon as you hit the V key.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    As per our understanding the issue is as follows:
    Launch InDesign.
    1. Press alt+scroll using the mouse wheel to zoom in/out.
    2. InDesign switches focus to the menu-bar so that the next keyboard press will enact the menu shortcut.
    3. Type F, E, L, or T after using alt+scroll

Result:
    Menu entry is opened from the control strip (example View menu as soon as you hit the V key).

Expected:
    Key press should select the suitable tool denoted by that key

This has been the behavior since quite long and does not look like a break in behavior.
    Please can you confirm?

Thanks

18. cannot undo or save

I have InDesign CC 2019 installed and updated, and it is completely unusable. Cannot undo or save my work. This is more than a bug. Advice?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. AIGPU sniffer

Hi I keep having two problems with CC. It seems that Every adobe product that I use opens AIGPU sniffer in ICONS of "last used". Kind of annoying to see that on my OS toolbar all the time.

Second problem is a spacebar hand problem - even I have seen some solutions it seems it is always something different that interrupts this feature - this is crucial tool to use.

Both of those bugs I noticed right after I downloaded another update for CC that I always do and I expect to have some bugs on the start - got…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Short Cut Keys no longer work in Indesign 2019

Indesign 2019
    Most of the old standard short cut keys no longer work and I cannot find anywhere what the new ones are or if I can change to a legacy mode. I'm talking basic old school short cuts like "space" to bring up the hand tool temporarily and the "shift" key to proportionately scale an object. Can anyone help me out with this as my productivity is grinding to a halt and I am not happy one bit.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base