Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. spinning ball every minute

InDesign CC 13.1
    When using InDesign, doesn't matter which file, or file size, every minute on the minute I encounter a spinning ball for 10 seconds.

I use InDesign for a majority of my work, so there is almost an hour of work time lost each day.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. InDesign CC ability to "constrain" with keyboard shortcuts lost

Using InDesign CC 13.1, since latest update (5/31/18) all attempts to "constrain" with time saving keyboard shortcuts do not work as before. Shift to constrain horizontal or vertical position when moving an item. Command, Option, Shift to constrain while enlarging or reducing images. Cannot constrain in Illustrator with keyboard shortcuts either.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. InDesign 13.0.1 can not follow an alias on a server share anymore

InDesign 13.0.1 on a apple mac running 10.13.3 does not recognize alias (links) on a server share anymore. Photoshop still does.

Steps: Go to a server share, no matter if an smb or afp share.
    Create a folder A. Place an file inside, e. g. 1.jpeg
    Create an alias from folder A => A alias.
    In InDesign choose OPEN:
    Go to the server share
    The Folder A is in black typo an available. Highlight A and you see the file.
    The Alias A alias is gray, InDesign does not recognize the link.
    Do the same in Photoshop, you will…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If you create an alias of a folder (located on a server) and drag it to the desktop, it works. For quick creation of aliases this way, press Option-Command while you drag the original item to the desktop.
    Note : Accessing items of an folder’s alias located on a server has not worked in previous releases of InDesign too.

4. InDesign EXTREMELY slow on MacOS X Sierra 10.12.6 - File menus and pdf export

Absolutely useless. Clicking on the file menu causes a spinning wheel for 2 minutes. Trying to export a PDF takes anywhere from 10-60 minutes. This is extremely annoying and makes it impossible to use this program for professional work.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Problems saving Indesign CC 2018 files directly onto a server

I have an issue saving Indesign CC 2018 files onto our server.

I have attached two examples of the error messages we get.

The only way we can work is to save the Indesign file, on to the Desktop and then moving over manually.

We have installed the latest version of Indesign CC 2018 and MacOS High Sierra (Version 10.13.2).

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Gray box replaces images

Adobe InDesign 13.0.1
    Mac OS 10.11.6

Today for first time, I had three similar 8-page newspaper documents open and one of them displayed only a gray box where the front page photo (full page image) had displayed before. I tried checking all display settings and could not bring the image back. Meanwhile, other full page ads got gray boxes also. The other two documents displayed similar content with no problem.

I quit InDesign, and re-opend problem document. It then displayed all of the images properly.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Closed: Fixed  ·  8 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. [InCopy] is very slow with some projects, even on a very fast Computer

We often see a pretty significant drop in performance in InCopy for no apparent reason. This seems to occur on random Projects. As far as i could test there was no correlation with the number of InCopy Files or the complexity of the layout.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. beachballs

Beach balls, beach balls and beach balls and wait for the next move in indesign. We do not find a solution to this problem on the Internet. Can Adobe solve this?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Find/change: Search popup—not all options show

Many times, I have gone to the Find/Change dialog box and not seen any options in the Search popup other than "All Documents or "Document."

"Story," "End of Story," etc. are missing.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Locked text and image boxes

Text and image boxes are locked to the page and can't be moved with the mouse, only with the arrow tools

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Need more info  ·  ansjain responded

Hi all,

Can you please provide some more information to help in reproducing the issue at our end:
    - InDesign version
    - OS
    - Language
    - If document specific, please share a document with me
    - Starts happening after doing some particular steps, please let me know what all things you were performing before this issue happens

Appreciate your help in reproducing this issue.

Thanks
    -Anshul

11. proportional scaling Using Shift Button not working properly

In the actual version the scaling an image with shift doesn't work properly. It is possible to scale umproportional although the shift button is pressed.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. InDesign CC2019: When using on multiple display monitors, moving placed objects makes the other display flash.

When using InDesign on multiple display monitors, moving placed objects makes the other display flash black.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Overall performance poor

The program takes 3-4 minutes trying to launch, then quits, generating an unexpected error report. It does this 2 times again before it will open the 3rd time. Making it nearly 12 minutes before it is actually usable.

Fonts: when a text box or text is clicked or selected, without exception, there is a long delay and spinning ball prior to being able to do anything with the text. Suitcase Fuision 19.1.1 is the font management program and they claim the problem is with Adobe.

Paste in place: sporadically the "paste in place", doesn't work properly–both through key command and…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Lock files not synced via google drive

We have an issue where one user opens an indesign file and a lock file is created. When on a standard file server, a second user tries to open the file and is told its locked by user x and they cannot open the file. With google file stream, user 1 opens the file and a lock file is generated and synced, user 2 has that lock file synced locally so its visible, but they can still open the file and get no lock warnings. Has anyone else found this and found a solution

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Vector graphics randomly vanish upon transformation in high quality display mode

If I have a simple InDesign document with a placed .ai or .pdf graphic, and set display quality to "high quality", then proceed to transform the frame using ctrl+shift+drag, the content of the frame will randomly disappear. To get it to display again I have to zoom in or out, or toggle between preview mode. Where multiple objects are on the page sometimes just the one I'm transforming will go, and sometimes others will vanish as well. See the attached video for a demonstration.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. stuck on type tool

I'm stuck on the Type tool. It won't let me select or change my tools at all. I've had to shut down and restart three times now. Whenever I get into the type tool, it stays and I can't get out or click anywhere else. Keyboard shortcuts do not work

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Cross Referencing Annoyance. Bang Head. Repeat.

For the love of god fix the cross-referencing slowdown! It literally makes working in multiple documents impossible because the cursor just locks up. This has been a bug for almost a decade. What's the deal?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Slow lag time typing and generating raster image

I have not had this problem before but there is about a 2 second lag on everything from typing to panning around. I have aerial images via PDFs linked into the file (5 of them) and I'm placing leaders and text on top. The document is only 5 pages and it's very frustrating-please help!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Presentation mode is not entering fullscreen and hiding the UI

Using InDesign on Windows 10. Recently (perhaps with the last CC update to 13.0.1 x64?) preview mode is no longer working as expected.

Whether using shift+W or via the menu, instead of full-screen document + black background (expected behaviour for Presentation mode), InDesign instead appears to be going into Preview mode, where the UI remains onscreen. The pasteboard is changing to black, however, the UI remains instead of full-screen mode.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Recent file panel

When Indesign first opens, the time stamp on the recent file is not correct. Some of the files are marked "in an hour" as when they were opened. Others are just marked as 4 hours ago.

The normal keyboard shortcut for hide does not work either on this screen.

Indesign CC 2017.1 release 12.1.0.56 build

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base